Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers inside!** Pokemon X and Pokemon Y - October 2013! :D

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Guys, I've decided I'd quite like this game (the face there seems to be so much involvement with the original 150 impressing me), but don't have a 3DS.

What's the most cost efficient way to get the game and something to play it on?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

You should be able to get a used 3DS for around about €100. If you want a new one in the same price range and aren't fussed about 3D, then get a 2DS which is released on the same day as X and Y.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Handheld-Console-2DS-Black/dp/B00E4LGJ3I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1379098905&sr=8-5&keywords=3ds+console

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

You should be able to get a used 3DS for around about €100. If you want a new one in the same price range and aren't fussed about 3D, then get a 2DS which is released on the same day as X and Y.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Handheld-Console-2DS-Black/dp/B00E4LGJ3I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1379098905&sr=8-5&keywords=3ds+console

Didn't know about 2DS. I personally don't give a fcuk about the 3D aspect so I think I'll go that route myself.

Thank you for saving me money :D

Have a look on adverts.ie too though, I got my 3DS from adverts a few months back (when Pokemon X&Y was announced :pac:) for €90 in near perfect condition and with a Mario Kart game! Pretty sure that's cheaper than what the 2DS will be new ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The Pokemon X and Y names are plays on the 3Dness of its console, but the games themselves are being used to promote a variation that removes that function entirely.

A pointless observation, really, but g'wan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    The Pokemon X and Y names are plays on the 3Dness of its console, but the games themselves are being used to promote a variation that removes that function entirely.

A pointless observation, really, but g'wan...

actually, x and Y perfectly describes the axes of a 2D plane, it's the inevitable Pokémon Z that doesn't fit with the 2DS

And now I must go - somewhere someone is using "it's " to denote ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Banjo wrote: »
    actually, x and Y perfectly describes the axes of a 2D plane, it's the inevitable Pokémon Z that doesn't fit with the 2DS

And now I must go - somewhere someone is using "it's " to denote ownership

Well, there was me feeling all clever. It was fun for those 2 seconds, 'til the fact 'Z' wasn't a thing yet 'came apparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Anyone else thinking that it'll be a Water/Flying type for the final evolution of Froakie? I just have a little feeling :3 The evolution looks pretty streamlined and the neck design on both looks a tad cloudian. Only a remark really, he probably will end up as a ninja frog knowing game freak :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I had a hands-on go of X in Tokyo last week. Pretty impressive, graphics look really really solid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm not jealous, I'm naturally this green!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Don't worry, I brought you back something nice :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I should really buy a 3DS.

Aurorus (an evolution of Amaura):

76.jpg

77.jpg

Tyrantrum (an evolution of Tyrunt):

79.jpg

81.jpg

So, sorry if this has been answered. But what way will trading work between the older games and the newer ones? I'm working through White 2 at the moment, trying to fill up my Pokedex. For the first time in years, I've decided to get this gen's game on launch day, so am wondering if I should shift all my older guys over to W2 in preparation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

You deposit your pokemon using pokemon bank and pokemon transporter, then take them out in XY.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

I'm too old to be this excitied for this game. Bought a 3ds over the summer just for it. Heard somewhere that the 3D is not that prominate in it and has a bit of FPS problems in battles

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

So, sorry if this has been answered. But what way will trading work between the older games and the newer ones? I'm working through White 2 at the moment, trying to fill up my Pokedex. For the first time in years, I've decided to get this gen's game on launch day, so am wondering if I should shift all my older guys over to W2 in preparation?
    Yes, only Gen V compatibility had been confirmed (lots of people seem to be annoyed by this, but I doubt it's going to change) But there's no rush, Pokémon Bank doesn't launch till 27th December (not sure why... 25th like Japan would have made even more sense in the west...)
    Frolick wrote: »
    I'm too old to be this excitied for this game. Bought a 3ds over the summer just for it. Heard somewhere that the 3D is not that prominate in it and has a bit of FPS problems in battles

People have only seen the demo version. The demo version is not only pre-release, but an restricted demo i.e. since Nintendo can control and supervise its distribution and use it's likely to have been more rough-cut than one they might have made available on the eShop.

The 3D shouldn't significantly affect FPS rate: when you turn it on, it has two render to images, but each image is only half the horizontal resolution of the 2D image.

Looks like you can get Pokedex 3D Pro for free if you order the eShop code from Game.co.uk
    http://www.game.co.uk/en/pok-mon-y-200379
    Price is £34.99, which is not great compared to some of the other options in the UK for the physical game, but this is the download version, and their only competitor is Nintendo themselves.

If it works like the last eShop title I got from them, they just mail you the code on launch day (or the night before) and you're laughing.

They take payment instantly, suggesting you get Pokedex 3D Pro straight away.

One caveat - the Ts&Cs say "UK Only". Since there's no physical delivery I can't see why there'd be an issue and I've used an eShop code from them before without issue, but I guess it's possible you'd need to switch your location to the UK so you connect to the UK eShop to validate the code? The author accepts no responsibility for blah de blah de blah... :D

Yes, only Gen V compatibility had been confirmed (lots of people seem to be annoyed by this, but I doubt it's going to change) But there's no rush, Pokémon Bank doesn't launch till 27th December (not sure why... 25th like Japan would have made even more sense in the west...)

Oh, so there's going to be a month or thereabouts where you can't trade from Gen V then? Shame :( I've started breeding some level 1s to send over to the game :P Thought I'd get them quicker than that.

• Advertisement

Honedge`s evo is wildly innovative ;)
    doublade_thumb.jpg

You also gain XP in battles after you catch a wild Pokémon.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/25/pokemon-x-pokemon-y-make-levelling-easier/

A terrifying glimpse of the future...
    yi1q.png

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Oh, so there's going to be a month or thereabouts where you can't trade from Gen V then? Shame :( I've started breeding some level 1s to send over to the game :P Thought I'd get them quicker than that.

A lot more than a month.

I reckon Nintendo didn't plan on launching it so late after release, since it's the only way to transfer (that we know of), but they've run into reliability issues with reading the Gen V games or something.

If it were just the bank function no one would care about the wait, but the fact that it is the only way to transfer makes me think either Nintendo really don't understand their customers (hello? Still no account system? Effed if you lose your 3DS with download versions), or like I said, they planned to have it ready nearer to launch but can't make it.

Pain in the ass either way

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that you won't be able to trade over pokemon straight away. Gives you time to enjoy and train up the new pokemon and story rather than trading over old pokemon and blasting through the game. Obviously depending on which stage of the game it allows you to trade over old pokemon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, that's a good point. I'm looking forward to building a team from scratch like with Black and White.

Banjo wrote: »
    A terrifying glimpse of the future...
    yi1q.png

You left out Bag of Rubbish. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Looking forward to seeing the first way to get dodgy Pokémon on :P DNS servers or what.

Just pre-ordered this:

$T2eC16h,!)sE9swmcMt7BSC61Z7iC!~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!k8FH6QCZ4q1BSC61sgqy!~~60_12.JPG

Getting it with Pokémon Y installed and then will pick up an English version of X on release day.

Cannot. Wait!

I`m not jealous, I swear. ;)
    I just realised that the release date of X & Y (October 12th) is a Saturday, will we get it that day or on Friday?

• Advertisement

That's a deliberate move, I'll bet, to drive up eShop sales - you can't get your pre-order till the Monday.... Swines!

Advertisement