Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists - why do you care?

Options
  • 07-01-2013 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭

First post on this forum. Please excuse if this has been done before. Have searched boards before posting.

Mods, if this should be moved to After Hours, then please move it. However, I thought that this would be the most appropriate forum.

Bear with me on this, for a moment. I'm not very well read on this subject, as it does not usually interest me. I was asked about it recently, and it piqued my interest, somwwhat.

Cards on table: I regard myself as a skeptic. I think that is enough for the purposes of this discussion.

I think of theism as a harmless and/or beneficial belief. I understand about the wars in the name of Allah, God, etc. None of that affects me here in Ireland. I understand about oppression by the Catholic Church in Ireland. I'm inclined to think that the separation of Church and State is a work in progress, and that we have moved on rather a lot over the previous 60 years.

From what I've read, people who believe in a God are generally happier and live longer. It must be a pretty comforting to believe in a benevolent higher power; a being who has made a plan for you, even if you haven't bothered to make one of your own. I don't see the reasoning, but I understand the comfort.

At the same time, I see that some theists wish to evangelise. They want to spread the good news, etc. I can see why one would want to spread good news. The people who mapped the human genome didn't keep that to themselves. I expect that the people at CERN will broadcast their findings concerning the possibility that the Higgs particle was discovered last year. Before the obvious is pointed out to me, I understand that there is no scientific proof of the existence of any God, but that the mapping of the himan genome has been proved.

What I do not understand is why atheists feel the need to preach what they believe. I just think that there's no point. In my opinion, there is nothing to be gained from engaging theists in conversation on the subject. In my opinion, there is nothing to be gained in convincing someone of the non-existence of God.

At the risk of using a possibly condescending yet hopefully apt cliché, I think it's like telling a child that there's no Santa Claus. I still remember that sad school day, long ago, when another seven year old classmate told me that. I was simply unable to convince myself that what I had heard was not true, but there's no going back once you're through the looking glass.

My question boils down to this: If people can't see it for themselves, why bother telling them, when they clearly do not want to know?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever seen this question asked here before...

OP, did you try using the search function at all to see if this had already been done?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever seen this question asked here before...

OP, did you try using the search function at all to see if this had already been done?

I searched before I posted. Have I missed something?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I searched before I posted. Have I missed something?

I may have confused myself. Sorry! This question has come up loads of times in After Hours. That's the forum I thought I was still reading. :o

Ah f*ck it. I can't understand why I didn't find it. Still haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Nothing wrong with trying to tell them about the plank in their eye, if they'd shut up for a minute about the splinter in someone else's.

Generally it's the theists who engage others in conversation about it. In all fairness, when's the last time you were harassed by door-to-door atheists, or some old guy from the sticks drawling his thick Longford accent through a megaphone on O'Connell street about how there is no god?

We'd just like to be left alone, for the most part. But religion has this thing about butting into peoples' lives...

• Advertisement

I must have a read of those so.

I guess I shoulda searched properly for those threads, rather than a cursory check to see whether it had been done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I'm a bolshy, confrontational, arrogant git of an atheist at the best of times.

Might be something to do with the fact that I wasn't raised an atheist, but lost my faith quite brutally through a number of personal tragedies, some soul searching, and more than a few books and videos.

I think it's reasonable to expect that someone might be angry when they discover that they have been lied to about the nature of reality ever since they were born.

I guess I shoulda searched properly for those threads, rather than a cursory check to see whether it had been done before.

I had a look back through the last 6 or 7 pages myself before I went to the search-box. It hasn't actually been brought up too recently, to be fair to you.

I really shouldn't post here this late at night. >_<

condra wrote: »
    I'm a bolshy, confrontational, arrogant git of an atheist at the best of times.

Might be something to do with the fact that I wasn't raised an atheist, but lost my faith quite brutally through a number of personal tragedies, some soul searching, and more than a few books and videos.

I think it's reasonable to expect that someone might be angry when they discover that they have been lied to about the nature of reality ever since they were born.

On reading your post, the emotion is almost palpable.

The thing is, I don't care (about atheism), not really. I can't understand why people do, not in this day and age.

I used to believe. And I wanted to believe. And I became agnostic. And then, over time, I just couldn't believe anymore. Not because of some critical event. Just because there is no reason to believe. No proof. No convincing evidence. Undramatic, isn't it?

• Advertisement

I really shouldn't post here this late at night. >_<

Am I likely to attract an angry mob of drunks?

Probably not angry :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I can see why one would want to spread good news

Hmmm...
    If people can't see it for themselves, why bother telling them, when they clearly do not want to know?

Grumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

On reading your post, the emotion is almost palpable.
    Not emotional at all. Just hamming it up a bit.
    The thing is, I don't care (about atheism), not really. I can't understand why people do, not in this day and age.
    Yes, you've mentioned that...
    I used to believe. And I wanted to believe. And I became agnostic. And then, over time, I just couldn't believe anymore. Not because of some critical event. Just because there is no reason to believe. No proof. No convincing evidence. Undramatic, isn't it?
    Yes.. your personal story is undramatic...

.. and?

I'm not sure what your question is. Apparently you can't understand why people aren't more like you.

Not emotional at all. Just hamming it up a bit.
    Ah, I see. I was not trying to criticise you or your post. Seems my observation was incorrect.
    Yes.. your personal story is undramatic...

.. and?
    I mentioned it by way of contrast to how you came to the same conclusion.
    Apparently you can't understand why people aren't more like you.
    There is an element of that.

Hmmm...

Grumble.

OK, Chuck Stone, but I think it's more like harsh reality than welcome news.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

I'm going to rearrange your post a bit to give an answer:
    What I do not understand is why atheists feel the need to preach what they believe.
    I can see why one would want to spread good news.

Atheism is very liberating for a lot of people.

This might amaze you, but the lack of a sky-tyrant overlord slave master, willing to damn you to eternal torment for being born in a way he designed you to be can be comforting to people.

Simultaneously, you claim you can understand why scientists want to share their findings, but what about scientists whose findings disagree with holy texts. Which happens repeatedly in biology, geology, medicine and physics. Should they be silent on their findings because it might disabuse the ignorant of their preconceptions?

As atheism is 'good news' to many people, why should they not spread it? After all they are only trying to bring the same comfort to the lives of others... Just like those religious people claim to be.

Also when you don't believe in a god it's very easy to start seeing religion as a scam. They take money in return for offering comforting lies. So some atheists will see it as a moral prerogative to promote atheism.

In my case, I don't particularly care. I will discuss atheism and religion happily, but I don't seek out arguments. I am an atheist, it's part of who I am, but it's not a particularly important part to me, it's more a logical conclusion of my outlook on life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Misconception #1 is that atheism is a harsh reality. Atheism is hugely liberating, no longer do I have to feel guilt about my impulses or my actions unless they actually affect others. My teenage years were horrible partially because of the internal conflict between trying to be "Good" in a religious sense and my impulses and it still messes with me over a decade later at times until I remind myself that it's all bollox. I don't fear hell or such either for not living my life to a horrible set
    of demands.

So yes I will voice my opinion or my belief on the subject when it comes up because I think it's better for people. Even still I won't go knocking door to door because I respect people's right to privacy and their own views more than many religious people do who feel the same way about their way of life.

This is not limited to my atheism btw, if people start up discussions about psychics, astrologists, nutritionists, mediums, homeopaths, chiropractors, reiki eh folks or any other things I consider fake I'll voice my opinion there too, not just because I think they are better off without them but because I believe people want to find the truth as much as I do and despise scams of all shapes and sizes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

What I do not understand is why atheists feel the need to preach what they believe. I just think that there's no point. In my opinion, there is nothing to be gained from engaging theists in conversation on the subject. In my opinion, there is nothing to be gained in convincing someone of the non-existence of God.

At the risk of using a possibly condescending yet hopefully apt cliché, I think it's like telling a child that there's no Santa Claus. I still remember that sad school day, long ago, when another seven year old classmate told me that. I was simply unable to convince myself that what I had heard was not true, but there's no going back once you're through the looking glass.

My question boils down to this: If people can't see it for themselves, why bother telling them, when they clearly do not want to know?

Well. how many atheists have you heard preaching so far?

I've had my door-bell rung by Jehova's Witnesses trying to flog their Watchtowers, by friendly if spotty men in black revealing themselves to be Mormons, by elderly ladies enquiring if they might put a statue of the virgin Mary up in my front room so I could serve the neighbourhood sandwiches while everyone prayed a bit, and most recently had a leaflet put through the letterbox wishing to inform me about the truth about Islam (apparently, it's really really all about peace).

I have yet to open the door and find someone there wishing to discuss the absence of a deity, while handing me a leaflet with quotes from Dawkins and Hitchens. And, to be honest, I'm not holding my breath either.

The most preachy thing atheists seem to be doing is asking to be treated equal, and giving people access to information about the idea of atheism by writing and publishing books and articles.
    And if people don't want to know about it, they are free to not buy those books or not read those articles...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

First post on this forum.
    Welcome :)

Speaking for myself, I don't push my beliefs on other people, however there are situations where it is often assumed by other people that I am a Catholic/Christian and I prefer to make it clear that I am not. If this leads to a discussion I tend to say why *I* believe what I do, rather than why *they* should believe the same.

However religion is still pervasive in Ireland. The angelus on the radio and prayers in the Dáil are trivial examples, more serious is the pretty much compulsory exposure to intense Catholic indoctrination in most of our primary schools. Acceptance of this state of affairs is due in no small measure to the millions of cultural catholics who think a bit of religion is harmless. Maybe it's no wonder some of us might want to challenge their presumption?

It's surprising we're not a lot more bolshy, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Shenshen wrote: »
    The most preachy thing atheists seem to be doing is asking to be treated equal.

Exactly. And I've found that to be the only common ground among atheists. There's no manifesto to "spread the word", no mission to direct others away from whatever belief they hold, UNLESS their belief has an impact on people's lives (whether you believe in a sky-pilot or not).

The only reason I'm up here on A&A discussing topics is to become better educated about the ways religion impacts on people's lives, and where that has a negative impact, I like to discuss ways that could be changed if possible. Same for why I'm supporting Atheist Ireland. It's important to me personally that other people's beliefs don't have a negative impact on my life as an atheist, and I take a wider view on that too - it is important to me that inequality in the world is tackled head-on where possible. Much of that inequality is due to religious "morality" having great power in any given country.

Discussing that is not preaching. Finding other people who feel the same way is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

If people can't see it for themselves, why bother telling them, when they clearly do not want to know?

I think the answer for me is four fold.

1) I engage such people not to change their minds but my own. Engaging with people who disagree with you on a topic is the best way to learn more about that topic and update and refine your own knowledge and arguments.

2) I also engage such people not to change their minds but to ensure the counter arguments and opinions are present where theirs are for anyone ELSE who may be reading what I write. I do not entertain much hope or desire to change the mind of the person I am engaging with.

3) One of the best attacks one can do with charlatans is to keep them talking. Some of the opinions of the theists who post around here are so comical and/or absurd and/or abhorrent that the best thing to do is keep them talking and let them hang themselves.

4) I believe discourse is the most important single thing our species has available to it and it creates a natural arena of ideas which compete against each other with a kind of selection and evolution process occurring. I merely want to add my voice and ideas to that gene pool and let whatever happens to them happen.

In summary: What I do and write on the subject of religion has very little at all with the person I am actually directly addressing at any given time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Welcome, Mustard. :)

Yes this has been asked before but, hey, what hasn't?
    Firstly, have you experienced a lot of atheists trying to convert people? Certainly people on this forum don't go on about atheism all the time outside of this forum, and the general feeling is that unless someone else brings it up, religion is a personal matter.

Secondly, let me give you an example. I'm an atheist. In order to get my daughter into my local (taxpayer-funded, oversubscribed) school, she must be baptised a catholic. No doubt about it. If she isn't officially a catholic, she's not getting in, and a baptised child who lives further from the school than we do, is.

If you, like me, think this is unfair, then now you see why the non-religious are starting speak out (and make the religious uncomfortable). Not to convert people - but to request not to be discriminated against in their own country.

Dades wrote: »
    Yes this has been asked before but, hey, what hasn't?

Do you reckon John Waters can deep throat?

If that has been asked before I shall be genuinely surprised.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Sarky wrote: »
    Do you reckon John Waters can deep throat?
    :eek::eek:

MotivatorBrainBleach2.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I think of theism as a harmless and/or beneficial belief.
    You'll find that most posters here in A+A disagree with that. My own position is that theism, at an individual level, is delusional and dishonest and frequently dreadfully anti-social. At a societal level, religion is an unmitigated disaster.
    From what I've read, people who believe in a God are generally happier and live longer.
    Some claim to be. I rather doubt it though and think that the levels are fairly similar.
    At the same time, I see that some theists wish to evangelise. They want to spread the good news, etc. I can see why one would want to spread good news. [...] My question boils down to this: If people can't see it for themselves, why bother telling them, when they clearly do not want to know?
    Religions are memes which evolve tactics and strategies to ensure their own survival. One of the most effective ways to survive, as a meme, is to develop social strategies to enforce transmission -- hence the religious control of things like schools (filled with minds that are vulnerable because they're young and trusting) and hospitals (filled with minds that are vulnerable because they're sick) and so on.

A lot can be written on how religions work, and a lot of that is quite interesting. Some of it is here, though the site is quite outdated now:

http://www.christianitymeme.org/

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What I do not understand is why atheists feel the need to preach what they believe.

There would be no need for atheists to be vocal if religious people would keep themselves to themselves. Instead religious people continuously lobby the Government looking to have the country shaped in terms of their own ideology.
    When over 90% of primary schools in the country are run according to a Catholic 'ethos' which apparently overrides the nation's anti-discrimination laws in relation to children we have a problem.
    When important matters of law and State are being swayed by various groups of religious persuasion we have a problem. Just look at the X-case fiasco. That should have been done and dusted decades ago, but lingers on due to religious interference.
    When gay people's rights are being denied by religious lobby groups we have a problem.
    When terminally ill people of sound mind are denied the option to end their painful lives in a dignified manner of their own choosing because other people think their God doesn't want it to happen - we have a problem.
    When high ranking officials of popular religions preach to the masses that atheists are 'not fully human' we have a problem.
    When you can't walk down the street without having religious people blocking your path and handing you literature on why you are hell-bound or yelling at you via a megaphone - we have a problem.
    When religious people knock at your door unsolicited trying to convert you or cram all sorts of literature and propaganda newspapers - we have a problem.

And apparently it is the atheists who are the 'preachy' ones? Pull the other one :rolleyes:
    It is actually quite surprising that atheists are so tolerant of the crap they get from various religious folk.
    But hey, what's the harm right?

koth wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

Well, he's already posed naked like some wanton hussy. Thin end of the wedge tbh. Combined with the death of printed media, it's only a matter of time before he's degrading himself in front of Japanese businessmen for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mostly because the idea that religion is harmless and makes people feel nice is a total illusion, actively and disingenuously fostered by those in positions of power due to religion.

Most of the people that claim religion helps them, that it answers questions and solves existential turmoil, only think so because religion fostered those very vulnerabilities in the first place. We are taught that going to hell is likely, so we feel saved by Jesus. We are taught that we are dirty and wrong for natural desires, so we feel pure when we repress them and confess to an authority figure. We are taught that we must live up to standards that are literally impossible: Love everyone, never feel anger, jealously, desire or pride. We are made to feel like failures for being human, and that only they can save us. So we submit, and feel saved.

It is a scam. I see no difference between an old lady saying the rosary and feeling protected by Jesus and a member of a newer cult that insists The Leader helps her know herself. Religion is a self fulfilling prophecy. Imagine if that lady had never had a fear of death and shame of human nature cultivated in her in the first place?

Secondly, religion has a horrendous effect on society in general. Just look at attitudes towards gay people, transgendered people, abortion, stem cells etc. At the heart of almost every short-sighted and reactionary opposition to a harmless or wonderful thing, there is religion, stridently demanding that the faithful resist the march of progress for their own selfish or insane reasons.

I've posted variations of this about ten times now, but I don't think there is any point lambasting the OP for repeating a thread - it is a discussion forum and if we snapped at people for repeating something every time it happened then we'd have nothing but an endless chain of threads where we savage newcomers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Sarky wrote: »
    Well, he's already posed naked like some wanton hussy. Thin end of the wedge tbh. Combined with the death of printed media, it's only a matter of time before he's degrading himself in front of Japanese businessmen for cash.

Is that what that photo was, over on the other thread? A picture of John Waters in the nip? I couldn't see it here.

Wow, for once I'm grateful for the Great Firewall of China.

Advertisement