Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists - why do you care?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The thing is, it's in the best interests of the Church in Ireland not to remind nominal Catholics of the Church tenets which they don't follow, otherwise they can't use "84%" as a threat to the government.
    I wondered the same thing. Maybe they'd accept an atheist Catholic?;)
    Shenshen wrote: »
    Secularism still has a long way to go.

Yes indeed.
    Many atheists do get frustrated with it, I think.
    The reasons are not so much moral outrage at the laziness of others, they are more to do with the big numbers game : Every person who essentially doesn't care but counts themselves as a Catholic during the census, for example, is providing a basis and an arguement for the church to continue its influence on Irish society to the best of its ability.
    As far as they are concerned, they're speaking for 84% of the population, after all.
    And politicians will act in way they would assume will please those 84%.

I think that this is the answer to my question. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I'm not sure whether you are taking the mick here or not. However, I think I had the same Catholic upbringing as my friends, most of whom are now atheists. However, I think that this has more to do with type of mindset that comes with working in certain occupations.

It was in jest, but there is a point behind it. To be a Catholic means to submit to the authority of the Catholic Church as God's representation on Earth. They interpret scripture for you, they decide what is correct and false. Thinking for yourself in spiritual matters is not really a Catholic thing, by design as the Church would consider you unqualified to do so.
    I wonder if the view of the Catholic Church as a viable threat harks back to the power that they held in the 1960s rather than the present day situation.

The church as a viable threat is related to its structure and its assertions (again as the guardians of moral authority), rather than any particular place or time. Thankfully their influence in society, at least in the west, has weakened in recent times. Lets hope that continues.
    Basically, I can see your point. I've always taken these freedoms for granted. I've grown up with them. But I've grown up with freedom from the British too, and I don't hold a major grudge against them. I'm looking at things the way that they are today. I don't see the struggle that others are talking about in this day and age. Perhaps I'm insulated from it to a greater or lesser extent.

Well the British don't make a fundamental claim on Ireland. The Catholic Church does make a fundamental claim on moral authority, as do most religions. It is part of their appeal, it means followers don't have to consider or justify their own moral opinions.
    I don't understand why you have referred to Fred West.

Just an example of where the notion of a fair trial was seen as distasteful to some who thought since West was clearly guilty and clearly a monster he should be simply thrown in jail rather than risk a trial where he might get off on technicalities.

As for the religious symbols on public property, the point is that if you start exceptions then you enter into a discussion of why some separation of church and state is acceptable and some isn't. Which enters into a subjective argument that ultimately can only lead to the State sponsoring on religion over another?

For example, say they allow a cross in the courthouse. Ok, why a cross and not something else. Well the USA is a "Christian" nation so naturally a cross should be ok shouldn't it. But then the State isn't supposed to recognize any religion, even the unofficial official one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

There are numerous problems with people using the label "Catholic" when they don't follow the church's teachings.

First off it makes the label pointless. If anyone can believe anything about the supernatural up to not believing in god and still call themselves catholic then what value does the label bring to a discussion. If someone tells me they are a patriotic catholic vegetarian I can safely assume they love their country and don't eat meat similar to a patriotic vegetarian.

Secondly it allows the leaders of the catholic church to justify their desire to interfere in our state as they represent over 80% of the population. I've used the analogy before but imagine the KKK had great cake raffles and 80& of the country described themselves as members of the KKK because they enjoy the raffles but aren't actually racist. Now imagine the KKK demanding that their voice be heard on issues of state because they represent four fifths of the population and you can see the problems that arise.

Thirdly it's just silly. There are plenty of fitting labels which are less likely to have a listener misunderstand your beliefs. Nondescript christian, theist etc. If I call myself a catholic and someone thinks my views on contraception are awful whose fault is it there was a misunderstanding? Labels carry meaning or they have no use.

Lastly the Fine Gael comparison doesn't really work as the Catholic church is not a democratic institution and it has a set of strict rules that followers need to obey or they face punishment in the afterlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Your point is that by definition these 'a la carte Catholics' are not Catholics at all, except by self-identification.

Let us take this to be the case. We still have all of those people who identify themselves as Catholics in Ireland. They are the same people, with the same cherry-picked set of beliefs. They still believe in God. I think that I know, because I used to be one of those people.

I still believe that one can find many reasonable, just, fair-minded self identified Catholics among these people.

I know that there are many reasonable just and fair-minded people who self-identify as Catholic, the problem is they're only reasonable by abandoning what it means to be catholic.

I think Shooter nailed it in his last post. A word like catholic is a label, it is a useful shortcut in a conversation because it implies a certain position which is understood between all parties. Just as in Shooter's example, if you label yourself vegetarian it implies you hold a certain viewpoint with regard to diet. So if you don't hold to the beliefs and teachings which are associated with the word catholic then why use the label. The answer is indolence and indifference. These people make no effort to understand the beliefs which they associate themselves with, if they did we'd have a lot more atheists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    I know that there are many reasonable just and fair-minded people who self-identify as Catholic, the problem is they're only reasonable by abandoning what it means to be catholic.

I think Shooter nailed it in his last post. A word like catholic is a label, it is a useful shortcut in a conversation because it implies a certain position which is understood between all parties. Just as in Shooter's example, if you label yourself vegetarian it implies you hold a certain viewpoint with regard to diet. So if you don't hold to the beliefs and teachings which are associated with the word catholic then why use the label. The answer is indolence and indifference. These people make no effort to understand the beliefs which they associate themselves with, if they did we'd have a lot more atheists.

Á la carte Catholics are like those 'vegetarians' who eat fish and chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Bannasidhe wrote: »

while saying that you are not supposed to take the whole not eating meat thing "that seriously" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

More like vegetarians who eat fish, chicken and the occasional medium-rare steak when the opportunity arises.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Hence the term 'Cafeteria Catholics':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafeteria_Catholicism

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I posted a thread on expecting others to defend their beliefs partly due to the defensiveness I found on the part of a lot of cultural Catholics when asked if they believe some of the more unsavory or just ordinary dogma of the faith to which they profess to belong. I've had the dubious honour of telling a friend of mine who says she's a practising Catholic that the host is not symbolic, contrary to what she might believe, and if she does believe its symbolic she's a Protestant. I've found no 'Catholic' supports the stated doctrine of their church on homosexuality, divorce, IVF, contraception, women priests, 'mental reservations' or indeed any social commentary. I repeatedly hear the 'lots of good priest/nuns/I know a lovely monk' arguments as to why they remain in the fold, lots of 'changing things from the inside' and 'its the people who are the church not the hierarchy' but they don't seem to realise the church isn't interested in change and has no intention of doing so. It believes its been running a fine successful corporation for two thousand years and hasn't needed to bend to popular opinion at any stage to maintain its dominance.

I care because I don't want to live in a country where its seen as normal to start each session of parliament or county council meeting with a Catholic prayer, where one religion owns over 90% of the school system despite caring little or nothing for children for decades, in some cases using them as slave labour or selling them to other people, where its seen as totally acceptable for celibate men to advise the legislature on what a woman can and cannot do with a clump of cells that has taken up residence in her uterus and where you are constantly asked to explain why you don't do things like baptisms or church weddings rather than why you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

lazygal wrote: »
    I repeatedly hear the 'lots of good priest/nuns/I know a lovely monk' arguments as to why they remain in the fold, lots of 'changing things from the inside' and 'its the people who are the church not the hierarchy' but they don't seem to realise the church isn't interested in change and has no intention of doing so. It believes its been running a fine successful corporation for two thousand years and hasn't needed to bend to popular opinion at any stage to maintain its dominance.

Yeah this whole change from the inside thing is absolutely the most mind boggling thing I have ever met with people in the Catholic church. The Christian god doesn't run his regime like a democracy. Humanity get no vote in what is or isn't good or bad. He lays down the rules and humanity follows that's one of the few characteristics of yahweh that all christian sects seem to agree on. And if they think that the church is simply misinterpreting the bible, switch to a sect you agree with.
    I care because I don't want to live in a country where its seen as normal to start each session of parliament or county council meeting with a Catholic prayer, where one religion owns over 90% of the school system despite caring little or nothing for children for decades, in some cases using them as slave labour or selling them to other people, where its seen as totally acceptable for celibate men to advise the legislature on what a woman can and cannot do with a clump of cells that has taken up residence in her uterus and where you are constantly asked to explain why you don't do things like baptisms or church weddings rather than why you do.

Oh I'm out in the summer hopefully, with no desire to take up permanent residence back here any time soon.

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Yeah this whole change from the inside thing is absolutely the most mind boggling thing I have ever met with people in the Catholic church. The Christian god doesn't run his regime like a democracy. Humanity get no vote in what is or isn't good or bad. He lays down the rules and humanity follows that's one of the few characteristics of yahweh that all christian sects seem to agree on. And if they think that the church is simply misinterpreting the bible, switch to a sect you agree with.

Humanists like Erasmus and Thomas More advocated 'change from within' back in the 16th century - we're still waiting. Even the small steps taken in VAT II are being clawed back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The whole preachy Dawkins thing is something I really wonder about. There is no disputing that he is an outspoken Atheist but preachy? He wrote a book that people can read or ignore, debates religious folk which you can attend or ignore, can be viewed on youtube or ignored, gets interviewed on programs that either share his views or want to belittle his views (think Tubridy) but at no point does he go out on the street and try to preach to anyone.

I've said it before that he is very direct when responding to religious people but the key word here is responding. His directness winds people up and it's from there that it gets turned into preaching in certain peoples' minds in my opinion. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but is he really preaching. I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd like to take this opportunity to credit The Mustard for his (I assume it's a he based on Avatar selection) continuing contributions to the thread. It is refreshing to see an OP stick around for some reasoned debate. It helps us all learn. It is all too often that the OPs of topics like this one are very confrontational and run off when the proverbial 'gets tough'. Thankfully this is not the case with this thread. Long may it reign.

mewso wrote: »
    The whole preachy Dawkins thing is something I really wonder about. There is no disputing that he is an outspoken Atheist but preachy? He wrote a book that people can read or ignore, debates religious folk which you can attend or ignore, can be viewed on youtube or ignored, gets interviewed on programs that either share his views or want to belittle his views (think Tubridy) but at no point does he go out on the street and try to preach to anyone.

I've said it before that he is very direct when responding to religious people but the key word here is responding. His directness winds people up and it's from there that it gets turned into preaching in certain peoples' minds in my opinion. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but is he really preaching. I don't think so.

WRT Dawkins, it was a reference to his abrasive, condescending style.

I can take or leave Dawkins personally, but at least that is easy to do - unlike the various religious 'leaders' whose opinions are screamed out in newspaper headlines, on TV and over the radio - now that's what I call 'preachy'.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'd like to take this opportunity to credit The Mustard for his (I assume it's a he based on Avatar selection) continuing contributions to the thread. It is refreshing to see an OP stick around for some reasoned debate. It helps us all learn. It is all too often that the OPs of topics like this one are very confrontational and run off when the proverbial 'gets tough'. Thankfully this is not the case with this thread. Long may it reign.

Appreciated, Galvasean.

I hadn't set out to debate anything, initially. I was genuinely curious, and my question was intended to discover people's motivations. I must say that being a newcomer to the forum, I was a little surprised at the patient, frank and reasonable replies made by posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I wish I could see him being either abrasive or condescending. I have yet to see it or get links to it. The worst I have seen of him is him getting a little frustrated at some pretty dire questioning and to be honest in those cases he reacted better than I would have. If someone has a link the first time he was on the late late show (before tubs hosted it I think) is a good example of this.

I am one of the "I could take him or leave him" crowd too. I think there are MUCH better speakers on the circuit on the subject of religion. He has his place I feel... around the fence sitters and the people who do not really know the basic arguments in the theism debates... and in being one of the most successful people to make the theism debates more talked about and making it "ok" to be an atheist.... but once you get past 101 you move on to other writers and speakers. Those of us who know the discourse well likely have a respect for Dawkins but we have moved past him onto deeper books and talks.

But I have never got the accusations of being strident, abrasive or condescending. I simply have never seen it. And remember one of his biggest journalistic detractors in Ireland who hates everything he stands for even met the man and was forced to write an article about how lovely he turned out to actually be.

I think these comments about Dawkins are just a great ad hominem meme the theism machine has managed to mass produce and people seem happy to be spoon fed it an regurgitate it on demand.

None of which is helped by the selective mis-quoting he is unfortunately subject to. The best known example of which is when he likened labeling children as religious before they have a chance to decide for themselves as "Child Abuse" (perhaps a bit strong but his point is sound).... which more people than I care to even guess at are happy to selectively mis-quote as him having called Religion itself Child Abuse.

There is also a certain "Godwins Law" aspect to the whole thing where it seems the mathematical probability of a theist derailing a thread using ad hominem personal attacks against Dawkins in order to troll a reaction out of the atheists... increases in proportion to how badly they are losing the On Topic debate at that time.

Appreciated, Galvasean.

I hadn't set out to debate anything, initially. I was genuinely curious, and my question was intended to discover people's motivations. I must say that being a newcomer to the forum, I was a little surprised at the patient, frank and reasonable replies made by posters here.

Generally you get what you dish out in this forum. If you're polite people tend to be polite back. Some users are always getting berated in this forum... and with good cause IMO. :pac:

The worst I have seen of him is him getting a little frustrated at some pretty dire questioning and to be honest in those cases he reacted better than I would have.
    Dawkins is strident? I'd have awarded him a prize for keeping his cool in this exchange:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

I wish I could see him being either abrasive or condescending. I have yet to see it or get links to it. The worst I have seen of him is him getting a little frustrated at some pretty dire questioning and to be honest in those cases he reacted better than I would have. If someone has a link the first time he was on the late late show (before tubs hosted it I think) is a good example of this.

I am one of the "I could take him or leave him" crowd too. I think there are MUCH better speakers on the circuit on the subject of religion. He has his place I feel... around the fence sitters and the people who do not really know the basic arguments in the theism debates... and in being one of the most successful people to make the theism debates more talked about and making it "ok" to be an atheist.... but once you get past 101 you move on to other writers and speakers. Those of us who know the discourse well likely have a respect for Dawkins but we have moved past him onto deeper books and talks.

But I have never got the accusations of being strident, abrasive or condescending. I simply have never seen it. And remember one of his biggest journalistic detractors in Ireland who hates everything he stands for even met the man and was forced to write an article about how lovely he turned out to actually be.

I think these comments about Dawkins are just a great ad hominem meme the theism machine has managed to mass produce and people seem happy to be spoon fed it an regurgitate it on demand.

None of which is helped by the selective mis-quoting he is unfortunately subject to. The best known example of which is when he likened labeling children as religious before they have a chance to decide for themselves as "Child Abuse" (perhaps a bit strong but his point is sound).... which more people than I care to even guess at are happy to selectively mis-quote as him having called Religion itself Child Abuse.

There is also a certain "Godwins Law" aspect to the whole thing where it seems the mathematical probability of a theist derailing a thread using ad hominem personal attacks against Dawkins in order to troll a reaction out of the atheists... increases in proportion to how badly they are losing the On Topic debate at that time.

Very much agree - I think a lot of it boils down to people simply not wanting to hear what he has to say. So they accuse him of being strident, militant, condescending, etc. as they prefer that to actually tackling his arguments. His manner of speaking is slightly donnish and this can put people's backs up as well.

Overall though I'm a bit of a fan of Dawkins, warts and all. I found the Selfish Gene an interesting read when it came out, although I haven't read much more of his books after that. (If I ever write a book as good as the Selfish Gene though, I'll be happy.) I also think he has done a lot to bring atheism out into the open and create public debate on the role of religion in society - a pretty thankless job, on the whole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Shenshen wrote: »
    Considering that the bishops get a separate, lengthy hearing on an issue that will never, ever effect any one of them personally, I feel it still has far too much credibility for peace of mind.

This has the blood vessel on the side of my brow throbbing at such an alarming rate that I find it difficult to discuss it in a calm manner.
    I cannot, for the life of me, understand why a bunch of bishops get to have any kind of say on this matter.
    It frustrates me beyond reason to see our government entertain them. It gives them legitimacy and that galls me.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

robindch wrote: »
    Dawkins is strident? I'd have awarded him a prize for keeping his cool in this exchange:

Agreed. Even her face in the still picture You Tube presents above seems to stimulate some throw back neanderthal need in my cerebellum to engage in violence against it which my cerebrum only just manages to counter act.

And that is before hitting Play.

He is either a lot calmer and less strident than people claim and a more Zen man than I, or he was on some seriously calming medication that day as he stood there listening to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

What is it about creationists that you can actually SEE the crazy in them before you even hear them speak?

WRT: Robin's video above

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

DB21 wrote: »
    What is it about creationists that you can actually SEE the crazy in them before you even hear them speak?

The answer to that is in your own question. The reason you can see the crazy in them is because of the crazy in them!

DB21 wrote: »

WRT: Robin's video above

I think it's the lack of natural blinking patterns - a sure sign of brainwashing. I'd be rather uncomfortable in a direct conversation with someone whose eyes had the appearance of being semi-glazed over all the time.

Re: Dawkins and people's opinions of him: Someone alluded to Kevin Myers' opinion switch of him earlier (once a huge critic, after meeting the man in person he grew to like him). Something similar happened with my mother. She had a very negative opinion of Dawkins before seeing him on the Late Late. She ended up being quite impressed by his calm mannerisms and gave him the benefit of the doubt. She's still no atheist by any means,but gets where he's coming from now and is willing to give him the time of day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Abrasive, I can agree with. He doesn't beat around the bush to protect people's feelings.
    Condescending I would have to disagree with. In most debates I've seen him in as well as in his books, I find he takes a very Socratic approach : He asks questions, mostly in the hope the listener/reader will figure out the answers for themselves.
    I've never seen or heard him be impolite or condescending to anyone.

I trawled through youtube last night, looking for some clips from Dawkins's tv show from last year or the year before. I haven't found any good examples to back up my assertions so far.

Slightly off topic, but in my search, I came across this: Dawkins is on Aussie tv show Q&A, and one of the other guests is a strangely coy young-earth creationist politician. Gave me a laugh.

Full show episode here. I've only watched some of it, and it's not bad.

I've only watched some of it, and it's not bad.
    ^^^ Contains this facepalm-moment:

robindch wrote: »
    ^^^ Contains this facepalm-moment:

The same guy made a few dodgy comments about the Jews as well.

• Advertisement

The same guy made a few dodgy comments about the Jews as well.
    Mr Pell has also come out as a global-warming denialist and has said that he does not want the Australian government to force confessor priests to reveal what they heard from pedophile priests in the confession box.

Popette, btw, invited Mr Pell to her house when he was in Ireland last year, but he didn't show up, or to my knowledge, even reply to her offer.

Advertisement