Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is It That Athiests Talk So Much About Religion

Options
  • 01-10-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭

Why is it, if atheists dont believe in god or religion that it seems to be the only thing that they talk about? Just going by the posts in this forum.

Are they so insecure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

old_aussie wrote: »
    Why is it, if atheists dont believe in god or religion that it seems to be the only thing that they talk about? Just going by the posts in this forum.

Are you seriously asking why are all the posts in the atheism form are about atheism (the rejection of religion)?

Sit down and have a little bit of a think about that one mate :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm not an Atheist but from my understanding most of them would know more about religion that I do. The reason for that is that many Atheists have thought long and hard about their religious beliefs and have made their own studies of religion to try and reconcile their belief and lack of faith.

Also, the only way to bring other people around to the Atheist way of thinking is to be able to hold a knowledgeable conversation on religion so that they can refute arguments put forward by believers.

I have a lot of time for Atheists who can put forward well-structured, logical arguments for their lack of belief.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

if atheists dont believe in god or religion that it seems to be the only thing that they talk about? Just going by the posts in this forum.
    This forum is for the discussion of atheism and agnosticism, both of which are broadly defined in relation to religion.

Do you reckon there are forms of atheism or agnosticism out there which are unrelated to the various gods and religions which fill the world to overflowing?
    Are they so insecure?
    Not at all. Are you so insecure in your beliefs that you need to frame this question this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

cfb7ba7d_htf_imgcache_38390.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Are they so insecure?

Seriously? posts in the atheism forum are about atheism? thats just mad. I heard they talk about nothing but soccer in the soccer forum either, have they nothing else to talk about over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Well firstly this is the Atheist and Agnostic forum listed under "Religion & Spirituality". What do you think we would be talking about alot? besides there are plenty of other threads about evolution and science here too.
    Are they so insecure?
    Maybe we are willing to challenge our ideas i.e. put them to the test and not get worked up when an idea is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The bigger question is why do people with i-phones always tell you they have an i-phone ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Behold, two of the many similar threads.

Though neither OP so embarrassingly worded as this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Are they so insecure?

Oh dear holy mother of secularism not again!

Look. We do it just to annoy you old_aussie.

Seriously, do you go to the football forum and ask why everyone only talks about soccer, then try to start up recepies for bakewell tart?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

longshanks wrote: »
    The bigger question is why do people with i-phones always tell you they have an i-phone ?
    I have an iPhone.:D

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Kate10

Interesting to see this post today. I was just thinking about something similar. I am an atheist, and feel that I have wasted so much time debating with religious people on forums/in person etc. Sometimes the debate is interesting and productive. More often than not though it goes nowhere - after all, religion is based on faith which is not a reasoned belief so the arguments always end up in the same place - I believe because I want to believe. It occurred to me in the last few days that one of the best things about being an atheist is that I can live my life entirely free from all things religious including time wasted on discussions about really silly stuff!

So from now on I am going to live my life free of all religious mumbo jumbo! Yipee!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

longshanks wrote: »
    Because they've never heard of HTC. :cool:

Because they've never heard of HTC. :cool:

zing!

Sent from HTC Hero :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well as Dades already mentioned we've had numerous topics on this one already so I'll keep this brief.

Very religious. Then, wishy washy deist. Then, rational skeptic. Found the A&A forum helped understand my philosophy better. Also provided communication with folks of similar mindset.

Very brief version.
    Prefer banter with folks who value proof higher than disproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Are they so insecure?

Have a look through my previous posts. You will find me in other forums talking about football, films, dinosaurs and many other things. I'm sure if you checked the previous posts of any other poster here you'd find a variety of different topics being discuseed.

But that would require a little bit of research wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Are they so insecure?

How can you tell that atheism is the ONLY thing posters talk about from reading the A&A forum? :confused: Would you accuse someone posting in UCD of ONLY talking about their studies? What a bizarre statement...

Are we so insecure? We're not the ones posting on a forum all hurt and annoyed that people dare to discuss religion on a discussion forum dedicated to religious skeptics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Are they so insecure?

It's an Atheist and Agnostic forum, it's against the rules to talk about anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

gbee wrote: »
    It's an Atheist and Agnostic forum, it's against the rules to talk about anything else?

I wouldn't say that. We even have a stickied thread called 'Interesting Stuff' were we post up anything of interest that isn't particularly related to atheism/agnosticism.

looks like a hit and run.

Close this thread I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Are they so insecure?

Because we all secretly believe in Yahweh of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

So, just because I don't do something myself, I shouldn't have an interest in it? These days religion looks (to me) like a spectator sport. Some sports have people running round fields kicking things; other sports have people whizzing around at high speeds and occasionally crashing. On a good day, religion can be both fun and interesting to observe.

I'm currently fascinated by the Eddie Long situation in the USA, which has been going on for a few weeks. Christopher Hitchens just posted an op-ed about this on Slate. the "prosperity gospel" hypocrisy on display here is a car-crash eye-opener, even for me. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Why is it Atheists can't resist replying to these pos posts? We are argumentative sh1tes aren't we?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You'd swear the conversations in other people's lives were free from superfluous chatter, and only consisted of concise sentences no longer than necessary to convey the required information relating to the meaningful task at hand.

Rather than banter about the weather, football, bonsai trees, Cheryl Cole's bum, vegetables, and maybe even the question of gods...

It's like by all means talk about The Apprentice but SHUT UP ABOUT GOD or ur insecure!!1111eleven1!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Dades wrote: »
    You'd swear the conversations in other people's lives were free from superfluous chatter, and only consisted of concise sentences no longer than necessary to convey the required information relating to the meaningful task at hand.

Sounds like newspeak.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Are they so insecure?

For the same reason psychiatrists talk about insanity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

mewso wrote: »
    We are argumentative sh1tes aren't we?
    Not at all. What on god's green earth makes you say that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

robindch wrote: »
    Not at all. What on god's green earth makes you say that?

Ooooh, controversial!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Wicknight wrote: »
    Are you seriously asking why are all the posts in the atheism form are about atheism (the rejection of religion)?

Atheism is the rejection of religion? I could swear that there are some that would Roll eye and facepalm etc etc if that definition was given in another context:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

JimiTime wrote: »
    Atheism is the rejection of religion? I could swear that there are some that would Roll eye and facepalm etc etc if that definition was given in another context:)
    I think we're taking 'rejection' to mean 'non-acceptance'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭jayzusb.christ

Simple answer, from a personal viewpoint:
    I like talking about religion. I've read quite a bit about it, and it's nearly always topical from a current affairs point of view. I don't believe in any god but I find it very interesting to read and discuss why other people do or don't.

Advertisement