Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why bother trying to remove peoples' religious beliefs?

Options
  • 29-01-2009 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

I'm just wondering, what motivates atheists to change other peoples' beliefs? Why not just leave "each to their own"!?
    As an atheist myself, it dosent really bother me if others believe in rubbish; even if they tryed to press their beliefs onto me I still dont think it would provoke me to try and change their worldview, at least not vehemently!

So, why try to change another persons beliefs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Im an atheist meself and I wouldnt dream of changing peoples beliefs. Us poor atheists get more of a grueling on here than any of them holy joes.
    I respect peoples beliefs, that does me. If they wanna talk about jesus I just leave it alone. Whats the point me talking about it. Each to their own and all that.
    I cant see many people changing their beliefs from reading a forum, ya never know though, stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Of course you can believe whatever you want, its what you do with those beliefs that really matters.

I say that some mainstream religious activities such as child indoctrination are forms of abuse and should be stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Few if any atheists here seem inclined to convert the masses.
    The motivation seems to be more to reduce the influence of religion in the decision making process for the state and its agencies.

Its a fools errand, but there's no harm trying I guess.

I haven't seen any atheists attempting to convert the religious; usually, it's the other way around.

Atheists only (in general) press their views if religion becomes a factor affecting their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'm just wondering, what motivates atheists to change other peoples' beliefs? Why not just leave "each to their own"!?

Eh... you may as well ask what motivates some religious people to change other people's beliefs. Ever met a Jehovah's Witness?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

FruitLover wrote: »
    Eh... you may as well ask what motivates some religious people to change other people's beliefs. Ever met a Jehovah's Witness?

Ha, never met one of them no! Would be an interesting experience I'd say!! One of my (atheist) friends had an encounter with one and he let them have it!....(the truth that is!)

FruitLover wrote: »

I dont think most atheists believe that they must convert believers to save them from a fiery pit of demons :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

As an atheist myself, it dosent really bother me if others believe in rubbish; even if they tryed to press their beliefs onto me I still dont think it would provoke me to try and change their worldview, at least not vehemently!

I think people can believe what they want, the problem comes in when laws are passed or prohibited based on faith.

One example would be on gay marriage.
    Why don't we have it in this country ?
    Whats the secular reason for not allowing it ?

There would be no problem if people could leave each to their own, but life is rarely that simple :)

Its not about trying to change their beliefs but more about showing that their belief is not the only or "absolute right" way. They can continue to believe as they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

DinoBot wrote: »
    I think people can believe what they want, the problem comes in when laws are passed or prohibited based on faith.

One example would be on gay marriage.
    Why don't we have it in this country ?
    Whats the secular reason for not allowing it ?

There would be no problem if people could leave each to their own, but life is rarely that simple :)

Its not about trying to change their beliefs but more about showing that their belief is not the only or "absolute right" way. They can continue to believe as they want.

I'm not sure that marriage makes a good comparison here.
    Marriage is treated as a special case when it comes to contract law and this seems to be justified on the basis of a 'faith in the family' or that the typical family is the unit of society.

What Im saying here is that an atheist would really have to question the whole concept of marriage in the first place before he imposes all the baggage that goes with marriage onto same sex couples.

Perhaps I'm as much of a sceptic about marriage as I am about religion but I do think same sex couples are lucky in ways by being spared the legal complications of marriage or possible co-habituation rights , because if same sexed couples are entitled to marriage, they are entitled to divorce and maintenance and all that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

seanybiker wrote: »
    Us poor atheists get more of a grueling on here than any of them holy joes.
    Rubbish!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

I have to say though, it does bother me when things like stem cell research dont go ahead due to "ethical" reasons. Same goes for when jehovah's witnesses (?) wont let their child have a blood transfusion. I say believe what you like, but if it comes in the way of scientific progress or endangers a persons life, then I would be inclined to tell the person to cop themselves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Personally I've never had an atheist person try to "convert" me but I have had many Christians trying to get me to see the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Because when it is acceptable to believe in things without evidence, you open the door for a world in which all opinions, however spurious, are equally valid. Each to their own is not really practical when superstitions begin to influence government policies and state education, when crystal healing is given the same credence by some as chemotherapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

when crystal healing is given the same credence by some as chemotherapy.

Hmmmm.... Not a good example. Crystal healing may act as a placebo and there is evidence that placebo's work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Rubbish!

No its not. There is a thread been started all the time asking us what we think about not going to heaven and whats the point of life without belief. Leave us alone lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

seanybiker wrote: »
    Leave us alone lol
    Naah, don't. :)

Joe1919 wrote: »
    Hmmmm.... Not a good example. Crystal healing may act as a placebo and there is evidence that placebo's work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

Placebos can be anything. Chemotherapy kills cells. :rolleyes:

Dades wrote: »
    Naah, don't. :)

I'm sorry Dades but I've been insulted for the last time here.

*Slams Door*

Sorry sean but you don't make a convincing argument. While I freely admit that there are many holy Joe's who give as good as they get (and then some), the notion that Atheists on this forum are in some manner an oppressed majority (?) is utter tosh. As by way of example, I direct you to the very first sticky in this forum.

I certainly know of one Atheist that stated (via PM) it was his aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Ahh the Bush technique:

I have secrets informations that prove you wrong, only you can't see it cos that would be unethical/against the rules/a danger to the state/secret!, but trust me I have it, I win anyways LOL.

Not very convincing. Pathetic in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

pH wrote: »
    Ahh the Bush technique:

I have secrets informations that prove you wrong, only you can't see it cos that would be unethical/against the rules/a danger to the state/secret!, but trust me I have it, I win anyways LOL.

While I agree that FC's post was a bit weak. "I know one atheist that whats to convert people" does not mean that atheists in general are bothered to do so.
    I would not expect fanny to say who actually said it but in all probablity someone did.

I wouldn't claim that the statement was untruthful...
    all it shows is that one atheist feels this way but I think thats hardly the norm.

So that would be one of the "few if any" that Rev Hellfire mentioned then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I'm sorry Dades but I've been insulted for the last time here.

*Slams Door*

Sorry sean but you don't make a convincing argument. While I freely admit that there are many holy Joe's who give as good as they get (and then some), the notion that Atheists on this forum are in some manner an oppressed majority (?) is utter tosh. As by way of example, I direct you to the very first sticky in this forum.

LMAO

"I'm taking my god and I'm going home!" :P

pH wrote: »
    Ahh the Bush technique:

'Pathetic' - oh, please! Spare me having to suffer through your hyperbolic dramatics. I'm hardly going to divulge PMs on this forum to attempt to convince you of the possibility that one poster I know wanted to de-convert people. If you think this aim so unlikely that I have had to peddle a lie then so be it.
    kiffer wrote: »

No, you can knock off the 'if any' part.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Bougeoir

I think trying to press any belief on somebody in a forceful sort of way like scare tactics is wrong whether it be Christian, atheist or any other sort of belief like myself who has Wicca beliefs but I'd never dare enforce my beliefs on others because because finding what is true to somebody is a personal journey.

Although if certain beliefs cause harm on somebody or something then I think they should be challenged such as the way some children are indoctrinated from birth. Like I know somebody and they were brought up in some odd Christian sect (can't remember the name though of it) but they were told if they did something bad, were faithful enough, etc. then they'd be sent to hell when they die for eternity and burn there and all these scare tactics. Luckily they did escape from the cult in their later years but these psychological scars have still remained with them well into their adulthood. Their family also disowned them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

No, you can knock off the 'if any' part.

Fanny... are you a little slow today?
    I was quoting Rev Hellfire's post which you quoted... the hint was that I'd put it in quotation marks...
    Do some (any) atheists want to "free people from the shackles of Religion", Yes some do... Is this some the few or many?
    You have a PM from one atheist...
    kiffer wrote:

You've received a PM from one atheist... One is what we call a small number.
    Presumably there are more... even lots of them... but as long as they are in the tiny minority we can call them few.

Also... I was defending your honesty in my post... pH had perhaps suggested that you had not received such a PM... I think it's clear that I did not doubt that you received the PM only that one is a small number of people and hardly invalidates Rev Hellfires post that few if any atheists feel this way.

Yes, very good Kiffer. But first, look at the Good Rev's post and try to see how I read it.

Few, if any, atheists here seem inclined to convert the masses.

I've added commas to better illustrate my understanding.

As I know of one Atheist who has professed to the desire to de-convert the religious then I feel 'if any' does not apply. I've not remarked about the overall numbers of Atheists who seek to de-convert people. However, if you must know my position - and I think that this is something that has to be explained so as to hopefully avoid any further conniptions - I think that most Atheists go about their life without feeling the call to evangelise. So, yes, 'few atheists here seem inclined to convert the masses.'

Now possibly I'm completely wrong in my understanding of the Rev's words, but I don't see the why you felt the need to post your condescending little rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

i have no problems with anyone believing in anything aslong as your religious believes dont affect me and dont expect any respect from me once i find out u believe in fairies

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Oh be nice, people.
    dont expect any respect from me once i find out u believe in fairies
    And don't expect any back talking like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

I think this kind of issue was rather well covered by Scofflaw in a post a while back when he said in the course of a thread on what constitutes a 'good life'
    I am, unsurprisingly, working from the premise that there is no such thing as an objectively 'good' life. The theist cannot therefore be described as "wasting" their life, as long as they judge themselves to be leading a good life (in which they are supported by other theists) - indeed, the only person who can really describe a theist as wasting their life is another theist.
    So, absolutely, there can be no real motivation for an atheist to bother convincing someone to turn away from a faith. The only issue is being able to commit to common rules of behaviour where people with different beliefs interact.

Although, I can equally recall Zillah having a reasonable motivation for encouraging apostasy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I don't try (or suceed) at changing anyones beliefs but I refuse to shy away from any sort of religious conversation anymore. I don't respect religious beliefs, I might respect the person but if I find their beliefs laughable Ill not respect them. But its still no excuse to be rude so I refrain from openly stating the fact that their beliefs are entirely made up and just plain silly.

Advertisement