Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Mini Android 4.0 Media Player ca. €15 delivered @ DealExtreme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭seanin4711

djmarkus wrote: »
    From DX wait at LEAST 3-4 weeks, no matter what the item.

To put it in perspective. It's free postage... and its coming from the other side of the world :)

you having a laugh?
    took three months for some cycling gear i ordered,given up on it in the end and next thing it arrives!
    joke of an operation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Access wrote: »
    Has anyone on here got something like this stick running XBMC successfully?

The android port of XBMC is being sponsored by a company called Pivos, they currently directly employ some of the XBMC developers to do the work. The set top box they sell is called the Xios DS Media Play. As part of the development Pivos have arranged for the chip manufacturer Amlogic to release the source code so that there is full hardware acceleration of the native XBMC video player.

There is both android and Linux firmware and XBMC available for the Pivos with the Linux version currently performing best. (But using the Linux version you will lose the ability to run normal android apps and Netflix for example is not available in Linux).

There are other set top boxes which have the Amlogic chip and therefore HW acceleration in XBMC but the Pivos firmware and XBMC version is definitely the best available at present.

The MyGica EnjoyTV 510B is the exact same box as the Xios DS, MyGica is the in-house brand of Geniatech who manufacture the Xios for Pivos.

Up to this it was possible to load the Pivos firmware directly on to other STB's with the Amlogic chip but Pivos got pissed off with others effectively stealing their development work and have now put a product check in their firmware so that it will only load on their own branded boxes.

If you want an easy life the best option for an Android box running XBMC is the Pivos, but remember even at that, that Android XBMC is still Beta.

For all other Android sticks with other chips you will not get hardware acceleration for the native XBMC video player so HD videos will stutter. There are workarounds which opens the video in an external player such as MX player. Anyone buying the OP's stick and wanting to use XBMC on it will need to look for this solution.

If you don't mind putting it together yourself, for around the same money as the Pivos (i.e. €120) you can build your own mini-itx PC and run Openelec (special Linux XBMC build) on a USB stick which is probably a better solution.

For more info on hardware solutions for XBMC I would suggest browsing the hardware forum on XBMC.org or on XBMChub.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

seanin4711 wrote: »
    you having a laugh?
    took three months for some cycling gear i ordered,given up on it in the end and next thing it arrives!
    joke of an operation!
    I have got stuff in around 4 weeks. So "at least" 3-4 weeks sounds like an accurate representation of the facts to me. 3 months is taking the piss in fairness.
    They have some stuff in an EU warehouse which shortens delivery time and gets around the issue of customs duties/taxes. Only specific items though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

got an email from DX saying that my order is being processed today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

neacy69 wrote: »
    got an email from DX saying that my order is being processed today

Same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Not this particular version (The U2), but yep, have XBMC running on a load of different sticks, a couple of phones and tablets. Each one came with it's own unique problems. But all were possible. The worst problem i had was with one of the sticks, it was freezing on every wiundow, but it was freezing before i put XBMC on it. It may just need to be reset, then update the firmware. Actually, i still haven't fully finished it yet, it may just be a faulty stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I have XBMC running on the U2, but can I point out (again) that the one dealextreme are selling is NOT actually the UHOST U2 , it is is the U1A.

Am not familiar with XBMC so am only getting used to it now, but everything seems to be working fine so far, streaming music, movies and photos from my PC over the wireless network with no issues.

Will stick XBMC on the U1A (when I get a chance) and see how it performs.

Any idea what remote he is using in this video?

Long Youtube video
    Where abouts in the timeline is it?

It could be one of these two

MEASY RC11
    or
    TOPLOO T2

No, I think that is just the bog standard airmouse that comes with the U1A from the manufacturer. I have one myself and it is fine for basic functions and works without any usb dongle needing to be connected to the U1A.

You can see it (briefly) about 39 seconds into the video.

That video looks to be seriously 'speeded up', might have been done to make the thing seem a lot faster than it actually is!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Gave in to temptation this morning and went to the dx site only to see they have sold out. Hopefully they'll come back in stock soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I got that email saying my order is being processed yesterday. Nothing has changed on the website since my payment was confirmed/authorised after I placed the order. If it arrives in time for Easter I'll be happy......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

The responce in the video looks really good...

I just wonder will it be that fast when they arrive :S

I got the email saying it was being processed too, ordered some other bits with it so could be next Xmas before I see it ;) although usually it hasn't taken beyond 6 weeks for me with DX :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

I bought this specifically to play movies on my tv. Can a media player like VLC be installed?

Can it play MKV and MP4 movie files?

ToadVine wrote: »
    I bought this specifically to play movies on my tv. Can a media player like VLC be installed?

Can it play MKV and MP4 movie files?

Yeah, but MX player, BSPlayer are better than VLC on Android.

I don't think that model can play MKV. If it can, i can't imagine it'll be very good. It'd be poor at streaming.

I could very well be wrong.

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    The responce in the video looks really good...

Some sections of that video appear to have been speeded up, so may have been done to make it look faster than it actually is............

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

eamonnq wrote: »
    Some sections of that video appear to have been speeded up, so may have been done to make it look faster than it actually is............

Definitely.

Allyall wrote: »
    Yeah, but MX player, BSPlayer are better than VLC on Android.

I don't think that model can play MKV. If it can, i can't imagine it'll be very good. It'd be poor at streaming.

I could very well be wrong.

As per the specs on the DX site:

Video Format AVI / RM / RMVB / MKV / WMV / MOV

I think it will play nearly everything you try on it, but the specs on the DX site are not to be relied upon, as they are calling it the U2 when it is actually the U1A they were selling.

it may be able to play them, but the quality it plays them in wouldn't be very good.
    Playing them from a hard drive may play better, but playing streaming will be different. It may play, but they will struggle terribly to do so.
    Also as eamonnq pointed out, don't rely on what DX said. For starters, they have the name of the device wrong. They said it was the UHOST U2 which it isn't. It's the U1A (Older version).

Just noticed eamonnq also pointed that out.. (No harm in repeating it. :P)

• Advertisement

No harm at all, I think I have repeated it myself a few times already!!

it may be able to play them, but the quality it plays them in wouldn't be very good.
    Playing them from a hard drive may play better, but playing streaming will be different. It may play, but they will struggle terribly to do so.
    Also as eamonnq pointed out, don't rely on what DX said. For starters, they have the name of the device wrong. They said it was the UHOST U2 which it isn't. It's the U1A (Older version).

very true... I was just pointing out that they have ability to play them. We wont know how good they are at any playback til we get out hands on one...

I think someone in the thread has one and was gonna try XBMC on it for us...i wonder how that went

very true... I was just pointing out that they have ability to play them. We wont know how good they are at any playback til we get out hands on one...

I think someone in the thread has one and was gonna try XBMC on it for us...i wonder how that went

I think that is me too.......have not tried it yet!!

I think that is me too.......have not tried it yet!!

No bother emaonnq....If you do get a chance to try it out let us know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

The official xbmc for android release isnt stable yet(according to developers) and not coming on play market until it is. ETA March '13

The official xbmc for android release isnt stable yet(according to developers) and not coming on play market until it is. ETA March '13

I have XBMC running on the U2, and it works well, gave a guy in work a 'lend' of the U1A for the weekend and am still waiting for it ( I think he likes it!!).

Have not used XBMC before though, so am still working my way around it (and tidying up my music collection while I am at it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I have XBMC running on the U2, and it works well, gave a guy in work a 'lend' of the U1A for the weekend and am still waiting for it ( I think he likes it!!).

Have not used XBMC before though, so am still working my way around it (and tidying up my music collection while I am at it.)

Thats good, yeah its available and works on many android devices but isnt quite stable yet is some areas. They just dont want to release it on the play market until they have all the stability issues sorted.
    Go to xbmchub.com for everything you need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

XBMC will run on most android devices as long as you are only looking at low res video but as I posted previously only certain devices with the Amlogic chip or some of the very powerful quad core devices will run 720p or 1020p video.

As also pointed out XBMC for android is still very beta. I have it running on a few tablets and just use it for watching the low res free TV streams from Filmon, I find it better than trying to stream directly from the player on their website but even at that the plugin often crashes and I need to force close the XBMC app and restart it in order to change channel sometimes.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    XBMC will run on most android devices as long as you are only looking at low res video but as I posted previously only certain devices with the Amlogic chip or some of the very powerful quad core devices will run 720p or 1020p video.

As also pointed out XBMC for android is still very beta. I have it running on a few tablets and just use it for watching the low res free TV streams from Filmon, I find it better than trying to stream directly from the player on their website but even at that the plugin often crashes and I need to force close the XBMC app and restart it in order to change channel sometimes.

Yeah, same. I got decent quality streaming from the Nufront chips. But one of them gave me a bit of hassle.
    But sopcast was unreal, the quality amazing. Within XBMC some of the Repositories were better than others. I was getting from: very dark and hard to make out --> close to 720p.

Also worth noting that in some cases the older nightly builds worked better for me then the newer builds. But as mentioned, sometimes i had to exit out, go to apps, force close XBMC and restart it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

From talk on some other forums, it looks like this may have been a pricing error, and DX are not honouring it!

Can confirm that after getting onto DX on their livechat, I was told almost immediately that my order was not available and asked did I want a refund or exchange straight away. Was told "sometimes the item will be not available because of high demand".

I ordered in the first round of orders before it ever showed as out of stock. Pretty disappointed as this was my first order with DX! Hopefully some of the rest of ye will get your orders fulfilled!

Advertisement