Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Mini Android 4.0 Media Player ca. €15 delivered @ DealExtreme

Options
  • 03-01-2013 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭

This U2 Mini Android 4.0 Media Player (HDMI/WiFi/1GB RAM/4GB Flash) $20.50 @ DealExtreme seems like a good deal for anyone looking for a cheap media player. Its nearly at 1000C over in HUKD so I am sure its selling fast.
    It works out at about €15.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

bromley52 wrote: »
    This U2 Mini Android 4.0 Media Player (HDMI/WiFi/1GB RAM/4GB Flash) $20.50 @ DealExtreme seems like a good deal for anyone looking for a cheap media player. Its nearly at 1000C over in HUKD so I am sure its selling fast.

Wow. That's a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Good price alright but that is NOT actually a UHOST U2. It is the U1A that they have in the pictures. The UHOST U2 has 2 full size USB slots, and has a HDMI socket rather than the HDMI plug that the Uhost U1A uses.

A lot of places are advertising the UHOST2 but actually selling the U1A so be careful.

Still worth 15 euro though, I have my U1A up for sale on adverts, (as I upgraded to the U2) but think I may as well hold onto it if that is the price dealextreme are selling them at!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

can it be used without a usb keyboard or mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

tell me what this is, why i need it, and what can it do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

event wrote: »
    tell me what this is, why i need it, and what can it do

Media player, unknown, plays media. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

well I bought one anyway.

Can it be used as a browser and work via wifi?
    Would be handy for me as I dont have a PC/Laptop at the moment but only need a home machine for browsing really. Could hook it up to the TV via HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭uponthegad

does anyone know if you can put xbmc on this one (and play HD)?
    don't mind a bit of tinkering just as long as its possible.. although I'll prob buy it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Guys do you need to buy a remote to control this media player?Dont see one included on DX

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

barry75 wrote: »
    Guys do you need to buy a remote to control this media player?Dont see one included on DX

Just bought one and i dont have a wireless remote or mouse pad job. There's an app you can get for android phones and use that to control it, Droidmote i think. I'm chancing this one cause it was only 16 quid delivered. Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Never bought anything from Hong Kong before....Will we be charged import duties??? :?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

MJ434 wrote: »
    Never bought anything from Hong Kong before....Will we be charged import duties??? :?
    I've never been caught for it but going through forums here, a good few had to pay some custom charges. I get stuff 2 or 3 times a year, from car radio's to 7 inch tablets and have got away with it each time. I did notice that the shop will say its something else on the invoice to avoid it. My tablet came as a photo frame a few weeks ago, fair play to um!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Judging by the specs this is basically an mk802?

I have one of the originals, works ok playing hd content off a stick, just don't expect to stream anything hd over wifi. Even if the router is right next to it, it simply won't work.

Most wireless keyboards and mice will work with them. Worth it for that price. Just don't expect much.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

How much are the duties normally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Wow this is insanely cheap. Should be pretty handy for the kitchen TV! It should work pretty well with BubbleUPNP as a renderer and it should be possible to send UPNP content to it from any other device. Just wonder how well it will handle high def mp4 stuff but will buy and see!

For those asking about duty this is under the 22 euro limit so no import vat or duty to worry about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Thanks OP just ordered one there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

My TV had a HDMI connection but it's not saorview compatible. Would it be possible to connect one of those USB DVB-t dongles to this android stick in order to make a really cheap alternative to a saorview box for my TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

cheapest saorview can be had for below e50, so don't know if it's worth it. but yeah, should work

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Just ordered one , don't know why, but the lemming in me got pointed......

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

chris1970 wrote: »
    Just ordered one , don't know why, but the lemming in me got pointed......

Me too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

... No reason other than I would like to try one out and it's less than 20 quid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

excuse my ignorance.. would this be along the lines of a Roku media box /appe tv type thing to play stuff on the tv off the internet ? if one doenst have a android phone ( i have a silly nokia with their own thing symbian on it.) how would you run it ?

usb keyboard and mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Seapoint

bromley52 wrote: »

https://plus.google.com/115049428938715274412/posts/hEHpVibXMKM?utm_source=chrome_ntp_icon&utm_medium=chrome_app&utm_campaign=chrome

CM10.1 and XBMC for those who are that way inclined :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Does this thing have an ethernet port? Or can it use a 3g dongle? If the wifi is useless then it would be important that there is some other means of getting online with it.

one usb means you need a usb hub to connect more devices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Done - for a little over 16 quid.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

any mouse will work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

sheep.

Lets hope enough buy this that we get a tips and tricks thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Every home should have one:D

Advertisement