Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dessie Ellis - The Sinn Fein TD who is linked to 50 murders

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Gosub wrote: »
    I'm sure we would all like the truth behind some of the shenanigans that took place in Ireland in the 70's and 80's. I'm sure the British government have held back the documents that would embarrass them. When all the cards are on the table the game will be fair. Until that time, these releases are best ignored.
    You can be sure all the "kills" that the british government set up for the Loyalists hit squads was redacted and that would not be the sort of story that the Independant or the Sindo would prefer to cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

I agree, the abandonment of violence is to be welcomed. All I'm saying is that it's a legitimate question for voters to ask what these people were involved in. So if someone is standing for election, isn't it only fair that they be forthcoming on whether they'd murdered someone, or been involved in any murders, or been involved in racketeering or whatever?

I can accept that they may never be prosecuted for the sake of peace and reconciliation. I can accept that they may not even want to be specific, with regard to the names of victims etc, for fear of reprisals, I'd just like to see a little more honesty.
    If you don't like him, don't vote for him. Its quite simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭spikethedog

I'm sure we would all like the truth behind some of the shenanigans that took place in Ireland in the 70's and 80's. I'm sure the British government have held back the documents that would embarrass them. When all the cards are on the table the game will be fair. Until that time, these releases are best ignored.

I'd like the truth behind the shenanigans that took place over the last 15 years in political life in Ireland.
    That caused more damage to the country than any of the troubles did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is probably a perfectly accurate assessment by the Brits if they said Dessie belonged to a unit that was responsible for 50 deaths. This was 30 years ago, so what. The IRA has been on ceasefire for over half that time.

Mike Jackson as in General Sir Michael was adjutant of the Paras on Bloody Sunday, shall we start a thread to have that knighthood withdrawn on the grounds that he helped organise 13 gratuitous murders....or do we simply accept that this was in the past....just the same as Dessies antics were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

dvpower wrote: »
    I'd like to know the full extent of any terrorist activities he may have been involved in. That's all.
    Obviously I couldn't say what the reaction might be to any information he was forthcoming with - but that's getting way into hypotheticals.

I don't even want to see him charged and punished for any operations he might have been involved in (if he was). I just want the truth laid bare and people can make their own minds up. Personally, I think it would be better for SF if those who were involved in IRA activities would step aside, buts that up to the party and their electors to decide.

....you'll pardon me for believing that the first step following any disclosures by Mr Ellis would be hands-in-the-air outrage from the usual suspects. I'd also suspect that any threads on such revelations would feature contributions not stating 'O - I'm glad I now know the full extent of his activities' but more attacks, and demands for confessions from all members of SF.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

GRMA wrote: »
    If you don't like him, don't vote for him. Its quite simple.

It isn't really a question of whether Ellis is likeable or not, more whether voters have a right to know if he's murdered anyone or been involved in murder. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

And until then, people will view individuals with murky pasts with deep suspicion. And quite understandably so.

I think SF will eventually decide to retire these people. I can't see them making any major breakthrough until they do.

He was in the IRA who fought a war and killed people, he says he was an important member... isn't that enough information to go on? Voters know he is in the IRA. They know he was jailed for making/having bombs.

And until then, people will view individuals with murky pasts with deep suspicion. And quite understandably so.

I think SF will eventually decide to retire these people. I can't see them making any major breakthrough until they do.
    That sounds familiar, in fact I recall hearing that many times in the north and down here, and would you know, the people who said it were wrong every time.

You think these people would be tired of being wrong at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

May we have the 50 names?

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    ....you'll pardon me for believing that the first step following any disclosures by Mr Ellis would be hands-in-the-air outrage from the usual suspects. I'd also suspect that any threads on such revelations would feature contributions not stating 'O - I'm glad I now know the full extent of his activities' but more attacks, and demands for confessions from all members of SF.
    It depends.
    If Dessie Ellis was involved, say, in the murder of a soldier, the response would be muted.
    If he was involved in some of the awful atrocities where innocent civilians were killed, then there would be outrage - that would be only natural when the full details are known and people can make the emotional connection.

It might actually benefit SF. They'd take an almighty kicking but they might get back up stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dessie seems to be doing ok so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

I cannot understand how Nelson Mandela is praised by many Irish people who at the same time repeatedly condemn ex-IRA members who moved a terrorist organisation from using violence as a means of achieving equal rights to one that used politics and dialogue instead.

Do the same people that condemn the likes of Ellis and other ex-members or leaders of the IRA condemn Mandela too?

This country expects the people of Northern Ireland to move on but yet it looks like many in this country are unable to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

There was massive anti Irish sentiment in the UK in the early 1980's, so yes documents about Irish people were biased, the best examples being the Birmingham 6 "confessions"
    Why do you think there was 'massive anti Irish' sentiment in the UK? It might have been something to do with the activities of Dessie Ellis and his murderous friends.

There does seem to be a lot of collective amnesia in this country relating the IRA campaign of terror. They were vicious cold blooded murderers and they shamed this country for years with their activities.

So I think it's a good thing that we are reminded the some of the smiling SF TDs sitting in the Dail have the blood of innocents on their hands and have never been convicted for it.

The fact the many of them realised it was the wrong way finally is neither here nor there. They were mass murderers. There is no getting away from it.

Think of that when you consider voting for Sinn Fein.

I think this is a quandry for SF and I dont think they will make any big party gains until Gerry Adams steps aside.

One thing they are consistent on though is loyalty to memebers who went out and backed up their convictions at a great personal loss to themselves and their familys and they are looked after today because of that, and I dont think any younger members would try to change that.

The people who should be ashamed are those who stood idly by when Irish people were being burned out of their homes, shot, discriminated against and beaten off the streets. The PIRA came about out of necessity. Its symbol is a phoenix arising from the ashes.... of Bombay Street.

tipptom wrote: »
    I think this is a quandry for SF and I dont think they will make any big party gains until Gerry Adams steps aside.

One thing they are consistent on though is loyalty to memebers who went out and backed up their convictions at a great personal loss to themselves and their familys and they are looked after today because of that, and I dont think any younger members would try to change that.

How can you say that when in recent years they have made massive gains?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is probably a perfectly accurate assessment by the Brits if they said Dessie belonged to a unit that was responsible for 50 deaths. This was 30 years ago, so what. The IRA has been on ceasefire for over half that time.

Mike Jackson as in General Sir Michael was adjutant of the Paras on Bloody Sunday, shall we start a thread to have that knighthood withdrawn on the grounds that he helped organise 13 gratuitous murders....or do we simply accept that this was in the past....just the same as Dessies antics were.
    If Mike Jackson ran for election here, his involvement in the Bloody Sunday atrocity would completely overshadow his campaign.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you wouldn't 'simply accept that this was in the past'.

UDP wrote: »
    I cannot understand how Nelson Mandela is praised by many Irish people who at the same time repeatedly condemn ex-IRA members who moved a terrorist organisation from using violence as a means of achieving equal rights to one that used politics and dialogue instead.

Do the same people that condemn the likes of Ellis and other ex-members or leaders of the IRA condemn Mandela too?

This country expects the people of Northern Ireland to move on but yet it looks like many in this country are unable to.
    That comparison is always used as if it was some excuse for the actions of the PIRA. There is no comparison and I very much doubt Mandela would mandate the no warning bombs in crowded streets or any of the other atrocities committed by the PIRA.

There is no excuse for the actions of those people. Ellis has no right to been seen as an honourable man or compared to a leader like Mandela. Only a tiny number of people supported the actions of the IRA at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If Mike Jackson ran for election here, his involvement in the Bloody Sunday atrocity would completely overshadow his campaign.

And if he ran for office in the UK?

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »
    But he was tried for most of these crimes in a British court and acquitted making this allegation completely redundant imo. Why would the Indo not put that bit in for balance?

Its newsworthy but not a headline unless you are promoting an agenda- in my opinion.
    This piece of 'information' changes my perspective somewhat.
    What were the names of the >25 murders that he was acquitted of?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Voters know he is in the IRA. They know he was jailed for making/having bombs.

Do they?
    RATM wrote: »
    Not at all- I didn't as I was born when he was an active member and I only just found out the extent of his membership through this article.

I never knew that he was allegedly a bomb maker for the IRA until this article, I'm in a little bit of shock now at finding out. .

And if he ran for office in the UK?
    I'd say there would be a fair bit of controversy, but in a solid CON constituency, he might get elected.

There would certainly be a thread on it here. It would be titled 'Butcher of Derry seeks election...'

The people who should be ashamed are those who stood idly by when Irish people were being burned out of their homes, shot, discriminated against and beaten off the streets. The PIRA came about out of necessity. Its symbol is a phoenix arising from the ashes.... of Bombay Street.
    Nonsense, pure propaganda. Go and read the history. In the end, irony of ironies. It was the British army that came to protect those people. The IRA were nowhere. I Ran Away was the joke.

Plus for an organisation that styled themselves protectors of the Irish people. They killed an awful lot of us.

The more I read stuff like I'm seeing on this thread the more I realise we Irish have learned nothing. There is a whole younger generation out there who never went through the troubles and are now inclined to see it as some kind of heroic episode rather the sordid bloody slaughter it was.

How can you say that when in recent years they have made massive gains?
    Aw,you cant say massive gains really,last election was inner city and border areas really,they need to make some head way in the middle class vote to become a serious party.I could never understand them bringing gerry Adams down here and making him party leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Cliste wrote: »
    He plays the right game in helping constituents like yourself.

And if a FF or FG politician pulls the exact same strokes to help a constituent it's ok I suppose? Screw the decent everyday punter who goes by the book once again.

With people like this in their party how can SF ever expect to gain favour with the middle classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

bluecode wrote: »
    Nonsense, pure propaganda. Go and read the history. In the end, irony of ironies. It was the British army that came to protect those people. The IRA were nowhere. I Ran Away was the joke.

Initially the BA came to protect Nationalists from Unionists and their murderous militias and proxies. Subsequently the British Army simply became a tool of the Unionist junta.

Go and read the history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭OCorcrain

There is no comparison and I very much doubt Mandela would mandate the no warning bombs in crowded streets or any of the other atrocities committed by the PIRA.

You will find that in a lot cases when the RUC received warnings they did not pass it on because of their desire to demonise the nationalists even the nationalists who did not support violence.

Remember the Omagh bombing? The RUC did not act on the warning that was given them. Here is the article

I do not support violence, the planting of bombs, with warnings or vice-versa but the RUC had a duty to protect the citizens and act upon the warnings given to them, but they as an institution of a sectarian statelet valued propaganda and politics above people's lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭OCorcrain

It was the British army that came to protect those people.

They did an excellent job protecting the civil rights marchers didn't they?

• Advertisement

Do they?

I live in his constituency.

Yes, they do. Unless they have their head under a rock. He was high profile too, sure he went on hungerstrike and there was a big campaign about him and his extradition

He has never shyed away from saying he was in the IRA.

Advertisement