Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Hands up 6 months ago, if you were thinking Ireland's wingers for the opening 6N clash would come from a combination of McFadden, Kearney and Trimble?

I guess the team will need to create tries for the wingers to convert, rather than rely on the wingers to create them in the first place.

How unlucky is Fitzgerald? I'll answer my rhetorical Q myself by saying "very". Wish him a speedy recovery!

(I don't think it'll matter which wings for the Scotland game, but Wales is whole different ball-game. At the moment, if I put it in a NZ context, I feel like the ABs are about to play, and Schmidt has chosen Scott Hamilton & Caleb Ralph, while leaving Joe Rococoko on the sidelines...)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm just saying to date I think he has been world class at provincial level and international class at international level, and I don't think provincial displays should be used to judge a player internationally. If he has a world class 6N, then I'll be happy he's world class at all levels of the game. Not a slur on Sexton, just my take on it.

He has shown flashes of world class with Ireland but not on a consistent level. The performance against England in 2011, Australia at the WC and before injury, NZ last year, were, to me, world class. But like most of the blue/red/white/green armies, their provincial form did not translate to the green jersey. As Joe says, consistency is key and I suspect we will see that over the coming games.

And then a lot more players in the squad of 35 will be pushing for a space in the category of world class. If Joe can get the skills, consistency and fluidity he had with Leinster, I think Irish rugby is in for a fun time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

WTF is up with players getting injured in the Irish camp?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    WTF is up with players getting injured in the Irish camp?!

I know. All soft tissue injuries as well. Frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Anyone know when the team is announced?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Tomorrow, annoyingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Wow, leaving it late for the team to be announced, what is the latest he can do it, 48 hours or 56 hours or something?

Maybe waiting to see how LF and ER are by tomorrow morning i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Thanos wrote: »
    Wow, leaving it late for the team to be announced, what is the latest he can do it, 48 hours or 56 hours or something?

Maybe waiting to see how LF and ER are by tomorrow morning i guess.
    Two days before the match is pretty normal tbh. It was discussed earlier in the thread and although the first game announcement last year was earlier, subsequent ones were two days before as well.

Gonna do a rain dance for Fitzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Gonna do a rain dance for Fitzy.

He's out apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

rrpc wrote: »
    Two days before the match is pretty normal tbh. It was discussed earlier in the thread and although the first game announcement last year was earlier, subsequent ones were two days before as well.

It's usually a bit longer for internationals, going on past years, albeit under a different regime, it may get leaked anyway, or at least bits of it will. Isn't there already a rumour that Moore is starting?

Edit - it might actually have leaked elsewhere already...

Marshall and Trimble RUMOURED (this is the rumours thread after all) to be starting. Rest of starting XV as expected if the RUMOUR is true.

danthefan wrote: »
    He's out apparently.

Well according to a poster here. Haven't seen anything else around. As it hasn't been confirmed I'm gonna dance away....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

He's out apparently.

Jesus that would just be the worst luck in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Jesus that would just be the worst luck in the world

who would win in the "worst luck in the world competion". Earls or Fitz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I think that at a different level Cave would have shout too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Fitz, but Earls not far off

The when you think that their our two best wingers at the moment you have to wonder if there might be some sort of curse or black magic at play here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

rrpc wrote: »

I thought it was much later last year because of all the injuries, didn't know who was going to be fit until the last minute. in previous years announcements were always earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The when you think that their our two best wingers at the moment you have to wonder if there might be some sort of curse or black magic at play here

Fair assumption to make imo

Allegedly...

1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Ross
    4 Toner
    5 POC
    6 POM
    7 Henry
    8 Heaslip
    9 Murray
    10 Sexton
    11 Trimble
    12 Marshall
    13 BOD
    14 D. Kearney
    15 R. Kearney

16 Cronin
    17 McGrath
    18 Moore
    19 Tuohy
    20 TOD
    21 Boss
    22 Jackson
    23 McFadden

Would take that to be honest. A couple of new caps from the bench as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Well according to a poster here. Haven't seen anything else around. As it hasn't been confirmed I'm gonna dance away....

Altough I have accepted that Fitz more than likely wont play this weekend I still think it's weird how nobody else is onto it. That Tweet from Sinead was lunch time yesterday- maybe I have missed something but I havent seen any other source report it. Maybe its not as bad as we think? Therefore, please rain dance away.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Allegedly...

1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Ross
    4 Toner
    5 POC
    6 POM
    7 Henry
    8 Heaslip
    9 Murray
    10 Sexton
    11 Trimble
    12 Marshall
    13 BOD
    14 D. Kearney
    15 R. Kearney

16 Cronin
    17 McGrath
    18 Moore
    19 Tuohy
    20 TOD
    21 Boss
    22 Jackson
    23 McFadden

I'd prefer McFadden to start but yeah, that's the likely choice.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,394 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bilston wrote: »
    Allegedly...

1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Ross
    4 Toner
    5 POC
    6 POM
    7 Henry
    8 Heaslip
    9 Murray
    10 Sexton
    11 Trimble
    12 Marshall
    13 BOD
    14 D. Kearney
    15 R. Kearney

16 Cronin
    17 McGrath
    18 Moore
    19 Tuohy
    20 TOD
    21 Boss
    22 Jackson
    23 McFadden

yeah looks to be the best 23 available at the moment.
    Darcy / Marshall probably interchangeable in that what Darcy may give more in defence Marshall probably offers more in attack.

Surely DKearns 11 and Trimble 14 if they're the starting wingers???

Good team from all available really

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

andymx11 wrote: »
    Altough I have accepted that Fitz more than likely wont play this weekend I still think it's weird how nobody else is onto it. That Tweet from Sinead was lunch time yesterday- maybe I have missed something but I havent seen any other source report it. Maybe its not as bad as we think? Therefore, please rain dance away.

Was on newstalk yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

andymx11 wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/luke-fitzgerald-latest-doubt-with-recurring-troublesome-lower-abdominal-strain-1.1672529

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Clearlier wrote: »
    I think that at a different level Cave would have shout too.

Ferris would be up there too

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Ah sh!t, thanks for that. That's the last time I will post without reading the morning paper.

As for McCarthy, it now transpires that his facial wounds have severely limited his training time. “To tell you the truth he didn’t look nice,” admitted Kiss. “His face had swelled up and there was a lot of fluid and it kinda escapes into parts of the body and it stuck in the skull area."

/sick

Surely DKearns 11 and Trimble 14 if they're the starting wingers???

Yeah, makes more sense actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

FFS McCarthy too?! Is someone going around the Ireland camp smashing mirrors or something?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement