Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Totally totally agree. World class for me is the best player in the world in their position and their backup. For me it's Healy and possibly SOB by those strict criteria.

SOB is a better player than Healy but one is world class because of a lack of competition? It's always been a strange term to me, I normally consider it to be someone who is not just a good international but clearly a level above that, but it's totally random in its application from person to person, almost like it was invented specifically to start sh*tfests on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Couldn't have put it better myself. Joe Schmidt should be doing everything in his power to get Zebo familar with the systems. Starting him for the Scottish match would be ideal.

Zebo is a not a winning Lion for no reason, he oozes class and offers something that Ireland will desperately need when they face the likes of England, France and Wales.

How many current Irish players could pull off that infamous heel flick that dragged Ireland over the line against Wales for example??

Ok I'm a Munster fan but there's a gross exaggeration of Zebo going on here. He was a call up to the Lions due to injury and didn't feature in any of the tests, so I don't really think that argument holds up.

And would he be able to pull off that flick again? I don't know but it might have been a once off for all we know of.

Zebo's a very good player and I would have liked to see him in the squad but it's not an outrage that he's not in the squad. There's not exactly a lot between him and the wingers in the squad at the minute, if anything. The fact that he's primarily an 11 rather than 14 wouldn't have helped as he'd be directly against Fitzgerald, who's head and shoulders above the rest. Trimble and McFadden would primarily be 14s. It's not as simple to switch sides as some people make out, I played on the wing and 14 was never as comfortable as 11 to me. Any differences would only be magnified at professional level where stuff like positioning would be exploited more easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭paulmcshane

Couldn't have put it better myself. Joe Schmidt should be doing everything in his power to get Zebo familar with the systems. Starting him for the Scottish match would be ideal.

Zebo is a not a winning Lion for no reason, he oozes class and offers something that Ireland will desperately need when they face the likes of England, France and Wales.

How many current Irish players could pull off that infamous heel flick that dragged Ireland over the line against Wales for example??

1 In your opinion.

2 He is a winning Lion for no reason. He had zero impact on the outcome of that series, as did many others on the tour.

3 Are you for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

That kind of thing is just as bad as the people who imply the fick is the only thing Zebo has ever done

He did impress when he was called up to the Lions but that doesn't earn him a squad place for Ireland

• Subscribers Posts: 41,394 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

im just wondering why the flick was infamous? did someone get shot because of it?

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

sydthebeat wrote: »
    im just wondering why the flick was infamous? did someone get shot because of it?

;)
    Thank you, Glad to know I'm not the only one who found the use of that word a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

That kind of thing is just as bad as the people who imply the fick is the only thing Zebo has ever done

He did impress when he was called up to the Lions but that doesn't earn him a squad place for Ireland

I actually don't think he was great for the Lions either. Made a lot of mistakes in defence and positioning, ala Wade.

Great potential, but far from a good international winger yet. Has a massive future in green, no point in rushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

A point to note for some: A 6Ns game is not the place to get players familiar with systems and plays. That is done in training. In the 6Ns each and every game is a must win (especially home games), not a chance for a player to get things wrong and learn from his mistakes. The margins are very small at this level and the best players for the job need to be selected.

.ak wrote: »
    I actually don't think he was great for the Lions either. Made a lot of mistakes in defence and positioning, ala Wade.

Great potential, but far from a good international winger yet. Has a massive future in green, no point in rushing it.

He had much more impact than Wade. He played three games, was lively in attack in two. In fact after his first appearance there was talk of him leapfrogging Maitland into the test side because of a suspected injury to North

He was popping up everywhere with ball in hand and looked very lively. He had one off game where things didn't go his way but he had much more impact on tour than Wade who's only real contribution to the tour was two big defensive errors and showed nothing in attack. Unfair to compare them imo

• Registered Users Posts: 42 MongotheBongo

He had much more impact than Wade. He played three games, was lively in attack in two. In fact after his first appearance there was talk of him leapfrogging Maitland into the test side because of a suspected injury to North

He was popping up everywhere with ball in hand and looked very lively. He had one off game where things didn't go his way but he had much more impact on tour than Wade who's only real contribution to the tour was two big defensive errors and showed nothing in attack. Unfair to compare them imo

I agree with this, Zebo was actually very close to starting for the Lions. Unfortunately Gatland went with the tried and trusted but if it was any other Lions coach then Zebo probably would have started in the test side.

Zebo is out of Wade's league and its a bit of a joke to even try compare them.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's unfair to compare them, but I do agree he had a better display than Wade, with more time too. But he was never going to get near the test team imo.

I agree with this, Zebo was actually very close to starting for the Lions. Unfortunately Gatland went with the tried or trusted but if it was any other Lions coach then Zebo probably would have started in the test side.

I never said that..........

I don't know if he was in Gatland's mind at all. My point was that his first performance had people talking about him playing in the first test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

I agree with this, Zebo was actually very close to starting for the Lions. Unfortunately Gatland went with the tried or trusted but if it was any other Lions coach then Zebo probably would have started in the test side.

Are you Zebo's agent? Brother? Him?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,394 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

.... Unfortunately Gatland went with the tried or trusted but if it was any other Lions coach then Zebo probably would have started in the test side......

Oh holy god, says miley

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Unfortunately Gatland went with the tried and trusted but if it was any other Lions coach then Zebo probably would have started in the test side.

I dunno.

If I was Lions coach I wouldn't have started him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭paulmcshane

I agree with this, Zebo was actually very close to starting for the Lions. Unfortunately Gatland went with the tried and trusted but if it was any other Lions coach then Zebo probably would have started in the test side.

You're just making stuff up now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

So the only coach to a win a test series opted to leave Zebo out.

The other, non-winning, coaches would have included him.

Have I got this right?

So Schmidt is therefore following the winning example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Can we just make a Zebo thread or something?

He wasn't picked. That's it. There's no doubt in my mind that he'll be back in green in the not too distant future - until then however can we just please get back to discussing the upcoming match?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ireland-scotland-rugby-brian-odriscoll-1286662-Jan2014/

"I was really unsure last year and there were strange emotions but it is nice knowing that you can empty the tank in this Six Nations, knowing it will definitely be the last one"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Do you actually believe this? I think they're very similar - very talented but raw.

• Advertisement

trackguy wrote: »
    Do you actually believe this? I think they're very similar - very talented but raw.

Zebo isn't half as raw as Wade. In fact Zebo is quiet well rounded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

if any disillusioned fans no longer wish to go to the Wales game, please pm me. happy to purchase your tickets, preferably 2 upper tier. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I think the last word you'd use to describe Zebo is quiet :D

I'll get me coat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Forgive the word raw but they are quite clearly in the same league. Zebo is a better kicker, Wade is a more elusive & faster runner.

ssaye2 wrote: »
    http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ireland-scotland-rugby-brian-odriscoll-1286662-Jan2014/

"I was really unsure last year and there were strange emotions but it is nice knowing that you can empty the tank in this Six Nations, knowing it will definitely be the last one"

You just know he's going to near kill himself this year. :eek:

trackguy wrote: »
    Forgive the word raw but they are quite clearly in the same league. Zebo is a better kicker, Wade is a more elusive & faster runner.

Zebo can defend too. Something which Wade just hasn't shown a glimpse of ability at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

http://www.independent.ie/sport/bria...-29957588.html

Before O’Driscoll spoke, Ireland manager Mick Kearney gave a positive injury briefing where he said the 34 players who had reported duty all trained and the coaching staff have no injury worries.
    There was further good news in that Tommy Bowe and Donnacha Ryan are set to return to action in next weekend’s Pro12 games and could come into contention for the trip to Twickenham in week three.
    Jonathan Sexton reported for duty with a number of stitches in a head wound suffered in Saturday’s Top 14 clash with Toulouse, but will be [COLOR=#009900 !important]fit[/COLOR] and ready for Sunday. Peter O’Mahony, Gordon D’Arcy, Rob Kearney and Eoin Reddan all played a limited part last week, but should be OK this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Zebo can defend too. Something which Wade just hasn't shown a glimpse of ability at.

Can actually be hit or miss, more than average tackler and not afraid to commit to the hit but that doesn't make a very good defender- he sometimes gets caught out of position or lines up the wrong man , he has improved on this greatly though.

• Advertisement

Kinsella wrote:
    One of Joe Schmidt’s real pet peeves is seeing a player inactive off the ball. Even when play has moved to the other side of the field, he expects his players to work hard to provide width, run hypothetical supporting lines, distract defenders; do anything that may help the team to advance.
    .ak wrote: »
    All about every one of the 15 being in the right place at the right time, no matter who you are or where you are.

One thing Sexton mentions in his book is how Schmidt will berate wingers that were on the opposite side of the pitch to the set piece if they weren't doing something. Literally EVERY player on the pitch has a job in the attacking moves, even if the ball is never going to get near them. All of them are effectively running dummy lines.

Now we all know where Murray gets his wonderful indepth knowledge on the game from.

Me. :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement