Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭LostArt

Pray for Luke.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeh Kissane is usually on the money.

Hopefully it's ok. He did pull his groin earlier in the season though so might be a bit of a niggle. Although I remember at the time they thought he'd just be out for a few days with it and ended up being out for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

.ak wrote: »
    Yeh Kissane is usually on the money.

Hopefully it's ok. He did pull his groin earlier in the season though so might be a bit of a niggle. Although I remember at the time they thought he'd just be out for a few days with it and ended up being out for weeks.

Hmm if it is reoccuring maybe the key here is to let the Scotland game go in the hope of being fit for Wales rather than risk being out for the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

What would be the issue of Marmion benching?

If in the 'doomsday scenario' Reddan and Murray were out for next week, and Boss started and had a Reddan-esque 3 minute game when he charges down a kick with his chin and knocks himself out, meaning Marmion has to play for 77 minutes that would still be fine surely?

Guy's a senior player, 40+ appearances for Connacht as well as U20 Ireland appearances and Wolfhounds.

Be grand sure.

It's more Boss playing that I'd be worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

For me I'd have Boss ahead of Reddan right now anyway. But obviously Reddan offers something different so it might be a blow to Schmidt's game plan, who is very dependent on impact from the bench.

• Advertisement

OhHiMark wrote: »

Why?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,394 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

OhHiMark wrote: »

i wouldn't be worried at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i wouldn't be worried at all

Boss would really shut down/annoy Laidlaw off the bench if needed, ideal I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah I was just thinking that, with Boss' current form and his variation from Murrays style he's an ideal Sub at the moment if he is embedded in the training patterns this week. Sorry for Eoin, but not worried about the change. Would probably have been a good oppo for Marmion to get 20 off the bench if we had a bit of a lead though....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

If Fitzgearld has a niggle, I'd rather rest him this week and play him versus Wales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

its_phil wrote: »
    If Fitzgearld has a niggle, I'd rather rest him this week and play him versus Wales.

Agree.

Earls & Fitz have no luck :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

If Fitz is injured, does Gilroy or Zebo get drafted back in, or does Joe stick with Trimble?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If Fitz is injured, does Gilroy or Zebo get drafted back in, or does Joe stick with Trimble?

Well, I know what I would do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Not sure there's a need to replace him with the wingers that are there. Boss needed to be drafted back in for Reddan as there were only 2 9s in the 34 originally (I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

There is no way Fitzgerald would be replaced, unless it's bad enough to also rule him out of the Wales game.

Damn I hope he's fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I think your logic about Sexton would in fact emphasize his case for being world class. I'm assuming after Carter you would be thinking Cruden and Barrett, neither of which have done much at international level either. I'm not disputing their ability, but using your logic i don't think you can say Sexton is below either of those 2. Or at least not below Barrett.

Carter, Cooper, Cruden. Barrett is barely tested at international level at 10. Cruden is chronically under-rated on this forum, but I lose no sleep over it. Cooper was pretty sensational for Australia in the recently completed AIs. I'd be genuinely interested to know whether the other 5N forums/blogs think Sexton is in the top 2 FHs in world rugby. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I think those teams would fear Dan Carter and Quade Cooper more, but I might be wrong. And just to say it again, I do rate Sexton.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Better:
    Yachville
    Parra
    Kockott
    Pienaar
    Fotuali'i

Give or take, similar levels:
    Dupuy
    Youngs (a couple of seasons ago, has been shocking for a while, but I think he'll come back)
    Philips (he was better, but loss of form around lions brought him onto about a par - pending if his better form comes back)
    Matawalu

Outside Northern Hemisphere Better:
    Du Preez
    Smith
    Genia
    etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think Murray has developed into a fine player, but by God we get carried away with rating our own players. I think we read it in the Independent and it becomes fact without actually considering context.

He's amongst the upper tier in NH rugby, but to put him stand alone as "who's comparable" is madness. He's not top 10 in world scrum-halves.

Let's talk again in 5 matches time. Proof will be in the 6N pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Carter, Cooper, Cruden. Barrett is barely tested at international level at 10. Cruden is chronically under-rated on this forum, but I lose no sleep over it. Cooper was pretty sensational for Australia in the recently completed AIs. I'd be genuinely interested to know whether the other 5N forums/blogs think Sexton is in the top 2 FHs in world rugby. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I think those teams would fear Dan Carter and Quade Cooper more, but I might be wrong. And just to say it again, I do rate Sexton.

You don't necessarily fear a player like Sexton like you do Cooper, but he'll be the reason you lose, maybe without you even realising it. I think he's better than Murray anyway right now and by some distance the best 10 in Europe. If you're the best in your position (and clearly so) in one of the hemispheres you can't be far off the best in the world, even if you aren't right at the top

Tox56 wrote: »
    You don't necessarily fear a player like Sexton like you do Cooper, but he'll be the reason you lose, maybe without you even realising it. I think he's better than Murray anyway right now and by some distance the best 10 in Europe. If you're the best in your position (and clearly so) in one of the hemispheres you can't be far off the best in the world, even if you aren't right at the top

As I've said previously, I look forward to Sexton really seizing a 6N by the scruff of the neck, and leaving his mark on the tournament. Not sure he has done that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

As I've said previously, I look forward to Sexton really seizing a 6N by the scruff of the neck, and leaving his mark on the tournament. Not sure he has done that yet.

I don't think he has either, but I don't think injury or Kidney have helped

I mean he was immense in the 2012 championships imo. His defense was just so good but he was totally hampered by our lack of attacking ideas

If he can show the same attacking prowess under Schmidt for Ireland as he did for Leinster I don't think people will be long seeing exactly why he's rated so highly by some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I agree he hasn't, he hasn't actually been around that long despite his age (hes 28 and only has 38 caps, even Healy has more). Last season he was on for a good one I think but injury prevented that. He isn't a Cooper that will leave you amazed at his talent after a game but he has shown at Leinster how he influences games, but not enough for Ireland

I don't think he has either, but I don't think injury or Kidney have helped

I mean he was immense in the 2012 championships imo. His defense was just so good but he was totally hampered by our lack of attacking ideas

If he can show the same attacking prowess under Schmidt for Ireland as he did for Leinster I don't think people will be long seeing exactly why he's rated so highly by some

If he does, potential GS for Ireland. And I won't mind one bit admitting I've somewhat underestimated him. You can bookmark this post and flash at it me, no offence will be taken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

If he does, potential GS for Ireland. And I won't mind one bit admitting I've somewhat underestimated him. You can bookmark this post and flash at it me, no offence will be taken!

I would but my bookmarks are full of another posters various predictions that somehow always turn out to be false or contradicted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I would but my bookmarks are full of another posters various predictions that somehow always turn out to be false or contradicted! :D

That bloody fishhooks fella is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

You haven't really tbh, you can only judge on what he's done for Ireland so far, and it's mostly been good rather than great. Had the odd game like Argentina in 2012 where he's just torn it up but has rarely translated his best Leinster form to Ireland, for various reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

I can confirm from a certain source that Fitzgerald is injured (one of his lower abdominal muscles, not groin) and will for certain miss Scotland and most likely Wales too unfortunately. Absolutely gutted for Luke and the team...we've really been unlucky with injuries of late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I can confirm from a certain source that Fitzgerald is injured (one of his lower abdominal muscles, not groin) and will for certain miss Scotland and most likely Wales too unfortunately. Absolutely gutted for Luke and the team...we've really been unlucky with injuries of late

:(

• Administrators Posts: 53,659 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Well that sucks. :(

Not only does it remove our in-form winger, but with Earls and Fitzgerald out (if true) then that makes us a lot less flexible in the back line.

Who gets the #23 shirt now?

I really hope Joe isn't tempted to put Madigan at 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

23 shirt will either go to McFadden or D.Kearney, depending on which one starts. At least that's what I'd guess.

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    You haven't really tbh, you can only judge on what he's done for Ireland so far, and it's mostly been good rather than great. Had the odd game like Argentina in 2012 where he's just torn it up but has rarely translated his best Leinster form to Ireland, for various reasons.

Yeah, I'm just saying to date I think he has been world class at provincial level and international class at international level, and I don't think provincial displays should be used to judge a player internationally. If he has a world class 6N, then I'll be happy he's world class at all levels of the game. Not a slur on Sexton, just my take on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement