Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SPIN Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Just heard the new TRL opener, sounds good. Still though i'm not gone on the bed I don't think it suits Becki's voice well & on another note I despise the female voice-over if i'm honest no emotion whatsoever.

Completely agree. Becki has used different openers on the show over the last week and they've all sounded great but the beds are a bit hit and miss in terms of suiting her voice. I like the way its a donut as well. The show sounds more fast-paced and lively and eliminates any potential waffling.

Agree about the female voice-over. I have thought this for ages now. I absolutely love the male voiceover but I absolutely hate the female voiceover. She has to go- so robotic, dull and lifeless. SPIN is supposed to sound fresh and lively so she certainly doesn't fit in.

Loving the new Fully Charged sweeper BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Completely agree. Becki has used different openers on the show over the last week and they've all sounded great but the beds are a bit hit and miss in terms of suiting her voice. I like the way its a donut as well. The show sounds more fast-paced and lively and eliminates any potential waffling.

Agree about the female voice-over. I have thought this for ages now. I absolutely love the male voiceover but I absolutely hate the female voiceover. She has to go- so robotic, dull and lifeless. SPIN is supposed to sound fresh and lively so she certainly doesn't fit in.

Loving the new Fully Charged sweeper BTW.

Haven't heard the fully charged one yet. The old female voice-over was much better, I enjoy Capital's female voice-over actually. Although I doubt an English voice-over would wash well with a Dublin audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Agree with above, the old female was great, if you want to hear her again she's at the start of this demo: litehousestudios.com

BTW Capital use an English and American female....

gavindowd wrote: »
    Agree with above, the old female was great, if you want to hear her again she's at the start of this demo: litehousestudios.com

BTW Capital use an English and American female....

Not anymore I don't think, it's all Helen Austin & Howard Ritchie.

Not anymore I don't think, it's all Helen Austin & Howard Ritchie.

Yeah I haven't heard an American voiceover on Capital anyway. I do love the English female voiceover, SPIN should get the Irish/American equivalent of her.

In other Capital news, I am baffled that James Barr has had his hours cut. he is now down to 3 hours on 4 nights per week and is even down to cover the Saturday 3am slot this week!! :eek:.I can't understand why Capital have taken the Saturday night show away from him. I love listening to him on Saturday nights, his energy is fantastic and he really captures the "going out" atmosphere perfectly. For me, he's the best CHR presenter on UK radio and is brilliant at getting humour and personality into short links. Really bad decision from Capital's PD in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Yeah I haven't heard an American voiceover on Capital anyway. I do love the English female voiceover, SPIN should get the Irish/American equivalent of her.

In other Capital news, I am baffled that James Barr has had his hours cut. he is now down to 3 hours on 4 nights per week and is even down to cover the Saturday 3am slot this week!! :eek:.I can't understand why Capital have taken the Saturday night show away from him. I love listening to him on Saturday nights, his energy is fantastic and he really captures the "going out" atmosphere perfectly. For me, he's the best CHR presenter on UK radio and is brilliant at getting humour and personality into short links. Really bad decision from Capital's PD in my opinion.

Completely agree, him and Pandora should present the Saturday night show always have it streaming before a Saturday night out. Really strange, not that gone on Will Cozen's at all if i'm honest he's very predictable and boring.

It's strange after what was a massive year for James Barr in 2012 has flopped in 2013. Unless he's still getting the same amount now as he was before, but having worked in radio I can say it's quite enjoyable and would baffle me as to why he'd opt into hours cut. Especially seeing as he seems to sound like he's enjoying himself all the time on air and in particular on the Saturday night. I already feel like i'm in the club at 8pm. :p

Completely agree, him and Pandora should present the Saturday night show always have it streaming before a Saturday night out. Really strange, not that gone on Will Cozen's at all if i'm honest he's very predictable and boring.

It's strange after what was a massive year for James Barr in 2012 has flopped in 2013. Unless he's still getting the same amount now as he was before, but having worked in radio I can say it's quite enjoyable and would baffle me as to why he'd opt into hours cut. Especially seeing as he seems to sound like he's enjoying himself all the time on air and in particular on the Saturday night. I already feel like i'm in the club at 8pm. :p

Yeah, same here. :)The fact that Will Cozens got it shocked me. I might have the Capital Late Show on sometimes and he bores me. I can't take to his personality like I can to James's or Pandora's or Rich's. I'm sure James isn't distraught at having his Saturday nights back to go out himself but I also got a vibe from him that he really enjoyed doing Saturday nights on Capital and since Capital made a great decision in making Friday and Saturday nights "in the mix", I thought that he sounded brilliant on the show.

Yeah, same here. :)The fact that Will Cozens got it shocked me. I might have the Capital Late Show on sometimes and he bores me. I can't take to his personality like I can to James's or Pandora's or Rich's. I'm sure James isn't distraught at having his Saturday nights back to go out himself but I also got a vibe from him that he really enjoyed doing Saturday nights on Capital and since Capital made a great decision in making Friday and Saturday nights "in the mix", I thought that he sounded brilliant on the show.

Exactly, even the kinda mix intro and then into the proper radio version of the song. Just listened to Will Cozen's top of hour a minute ago and it lacked any personality at all. :rolleyes: "10pm right now it's the Capital Late Show" literally repeated the voice-over before him. More creativity, heard James' one yesterday and it was "Onesies O'Clock, let's get on the big tunes!"

Exactly, even the kinda mix intro and then into the proper radio version of the song. Just listened to Will Cozen's top of hour a minute ago and it lacked any personality at all. :rolleyes: "10pm right now it's the Capital Late Show" literally repeated the voice-over before him. More creativity, heard James' one yesterday and it was "Onesies O'Clock, let's get on the big tunes!"

Hahaha I LOVE James :D Him and you know who are just amazing at making CHR radio exciting and showing that it can be more than "that was, this is".

I like the way he says stuff like "Lets hang out tonight" to make you feel included, not that I fall for it because the music gets a bit too repetitive for me sometimes but he has a great way about him.
    Seriously, Capital should have him on at least 5 days a week. Such a waste of talent.

Hahaha I LOVE James :D Him and you know who are just amazing at making CHR radio exciting and showing that it can be more than "that was, this is".

I like the way he says stuff like "Lets hang out tonight" to make you feel included, not that I fall for it because the music gets a bit too repetitive for me sometimes but he has a great way about him.
    Seriously, Capital should have him on at least 5 days a week. Such a waste of talent.

Yeah love that, it's quite repetitive during the week but at the weekend's especially the shows to gear you up for a night out are pretty good for fresh stuff. Although I sometimes forget it's a UK station and they are probably gearing people up every night it's UK after all. Not the usual Friday, Saturday, Sunday over here.

Maybe they feel it's time to give someone else a turn, I mean they dropped Johnny Vaughan in the high of his presenting. It took some balls to do that, considering Moyles and Vaughan had a rivalry in the London audience anyway. Vaughan was very like Ray Foley in a way actually he was naturally funny. Listening to Capital this morning and they were introducing the travel and it was simply "...and now you travel with Sinta Templeton" Vaughan would literally rip the piss out of her for about 2 minutes before he'd let her do the travel.

So I don't think Capital are too worried about cutting some of their best presenters, especially the shuffling Andi Durrant was put through in 2012. He shunted all over the place, and that's exactly what the audience was asking for a show like his. I'm not a listener of his type of music, but I've heard him and he's good, and I guess it's not like Ireland when you've got 70,000 listeners or whatever. It's upwards 6 million so you're still connecting with people.

• Advertisement

Yeah love that, it's quite repetitive during the week but at the weekend's especially the shows to gear you up for a night out are pretty good for fresh stuff. Although I sometimes forget it's a UK station and they are probably gearing people up every night it's UK after all. Not the usual Friday, Saturday, Sunday over here.

Maybe they feel it's time to give someone else a turn, I mean they dropped Johnny Vaughan in the high of his presenting. It took some balls to do that, considering Moyles and Vaughan had a rivalry in the London audience anyway. Vaughan was very like Ray Foley in a way actually he was naturally funny. Listening to Capital this morning and they were introducing the travel and it was simply "...and now you travel with Sinta Templeton" Vaughan would literally rip the piss out of her for about 2 minutes before he'd let her do the travel.

So I don't think Capital are too worried about cutting some of their best presenters, especially the shuffling Andi Durrant was put through in 2012. He shunted all over the place, and that's exactly what the audience was asking for a show like his. I'm not a listener of his type of music, but I've heard him and he's good, and I guess it's not like Ireland when you've got 70,000 listeners or whatever. It's upwards 6 million so you're still connecting with people.

I'd be surprised if Capital thought that it was someone else's turn to do the big shows as James has only had his evening show for a year. Roberto used to do mid-mornings and Rich did evenings.
    The night shows on Friday and Saturday are very much different to Will's shows because they are seen as the main "going out" nights in the UK as well although student nights happen throughout the week. Capital have put "in the mix" shows on as a result.

I didn't hear Johnny and Lisa on Breakfast as I was very much a devoted Moyles listener but I heard great things about him so it's a shame that he isn't still on so I can listen as I love banter between newsreaders and presenters to show the personalities of the newsreaders.

I have heard Andi's show and I love it. I love most of the music on his show and he is a good presenter so I thought it was unfair that he kept jumping between time slots. Now that Capital are in the mix on Friday and Saturday nights, his dance-centric show isn't as necessary at 11pm so 12 is a suitable time IMO and is perfect for listeners like me who get a bit bored with the same songs on loop all day.

I'd be surprised if Capital thought that it was someone else's turn to do the big shows as James has only had his evening show for a year. Roberto used to do mid-mornings and Rich did evenings.
    The night shows on Friday and Saturday are very much different to Will's shows because they are seen as the main "going out" nights in the UK as well although student nights happen throughout the week. Capital have put "in the mix" shows on as a result.

I didn't hear Johnny and Lisa on Breakfast as I was very much a devoted Moyles listener but I heard great things about him so it's a shame that he isn't still on so I can listen as I love banter between newsreaders and presenters to show the personalities of the newsreaders.

I have heard Andi's show and I love it. I love most of the music on his show and he is a good presenter so I thought it was unfair that he kept jumping between time slots. Now that Capital are in the mix on Friday and Saturday nights, his dance-centric show isn't as necessary at 11pm so 12 is a suitable time IMO and is perfect for listeners like me who get a bit bored with the same songs on loop all day.

Roberto was an awful presenter and didn't suit the format at all he's much better on Heart now and that's a better style. I actually heard an air-check of Capital in 2009 and my god have they come light-years since, their imaging is definitely one of the best in the business compared to their old one where some of their sweepers were literally sung 10/20 seconds.

I'm not into much dance music so I wouldn't make it my business to listen but if it came on unbeknownst to me i'd listen away! I'm sure there's some pod-casts of Vaughan around. I wonder when'll hear some news on Eoghan McDermott? I'm banking on BBC Radio 1 for him anyway. No other reason he'd leave a London drive time show to go lower down the ranks.

Roberto was an awful presenter and didn't suit the format at all he's much better on Heart now and that's a better style. I actually heard an air-check of Capital in 2009 and my god have they come light-years since, their imaging is definitely one of the best in the business compared to their old one where some of their sweepers were literally sung 10/20 seconds.

I'm not into much dance music so I wouldn't make it my business to listen but if it came on unbeknownst to me i'd listen away! I'm sure there's some pod-casts of Vaughan around. I wonder when'll hear some news on Eoghan McDermott? I'm banking on BBC Radio 1 for him anyway. No other reason he'd leave a London drive time show to go lower down the ranks.

Yeah, their imaging is brilliant right now.

I'm hoping Eoghan goes to Radio 1. He would fit in perfectly there. Unfortunately, after the recent schedule changes, I would be surprised if he was signed now. I'm holding out some hope though....

Firstly; this is the SPIN thread, not the Capital FM thread - (Which, if I wanted I could go to DigitalSpy's radio forum!!).

Don't want to start a fight but...

1. Capital's imaging has come down in the last 3 years, i put together an aircheck of 'The Hit Music Network's" (Trent, Ram, LS, Capital, Red Dragon) Imaging and I thought (with the sung jingles from IQ Beats) it sounded 10x better. These jingles have sadly been phased out, and they use these strange electronic-sings for the breakfast show. The TOH was much better when Howard Ritchie came on and said "NOW... from your number one hit music station, back to the hits...FASTER!" which then went into a 30 second ramp (Salty Dog) (which the presenter talked over) and ended with a sing. Now the TOH is quite boring.... on drive all it says is the local presenter's name eg. "Leigh Jones....Capital"
    And every sweeper I hear on Saturday and Sunday just says : "The weekend is on... Capital"

2. You're right that James is a great presenter but I always thought his show (and personality) is aimed towards women. His constant use of "hair-straighteners o'clock" and putting up a picture of him holding a water bottle when talking about the song "drinking from the bottle" makes me cringe.
    Don't get me wrong, he is great at what he does (considering the length of Capital links), maybe its just my taste...

James 'Bassman' Bassam is in his forties and needs to be moved to Heart. He is too old to fit the Capital brand and the fact they gave him a nickname won't cover-it up easily.

BTW. We should start a Capital thread...!!

Gavin :-)

Firstly; this is the SPIN thread, not the Capital FM thread - (Which, if I wanted I could go to DigitalSpy's radio forum!!).

Don't want to start a fight but...

1. Capital's imaging has come down in the last 3 years, i put together an aircheck of 'The Hit Music Network's" (Trent, Ram, LS, Capital, Red Dragon) Imaging and I thought (with the sung jingles from IQ Beats) it sounded 10x better. These jingles have sadly been phased out, and they use these strange electronic-sings for the breakfast show. The TOH was much better when Howard Ritchie came on and said "NOW... from your number one hit music station, back to the hits...FASTER!" which then went into a 30 second ramp (Salty Dog) (which the presenter talked over) and ended with a sing. Now the TOH is quite boring.... on drive all it says is the local presenter's name eg. "Leigh Jones....Capital"
    And every sweeper I hear on Saturday and Sunday just says : "The weekend is on... Capital"

2. You're right that James is a great presenter but I always thought his show (and personality) is aimed towards women. His constant use of "hair-straighteners o'clock" and putting up a picture of him holding a water bottle when talking about the song "drinking from the bottle" makes me cringe.
    Don't get me wrong, he is great at what he does (considering the length of Capital links), maybe its just my taste...

James 'Bassman' Bassam is in his forties and needs to be moved to Heart. He is too old to fit the Capital brand and the fact they gave him a nickname won't cover-it up easily.

BTW. We should start a Capital thread...!!

Gavin :-)

Well maybe we should change the name to Capital and SPIN or else a general CHR thread.

I have to say I disagree with the fact that the sung jingles were in anyway remotely good. They sound too out-dated and old, they were being used in the early days of Z100. They all sound like they've been made on an electronic fisher price laptop too. A thirty second top of hour link for a CHR station is ridiculous in my opinion, it's called WAFFLING and trying to fill time. People that listen to a music station don't want to hear presenters talking ****e. I enjoy the TOH as it quick, effective and always perfectly timed, whether that has anything to do with the fact they pre-record most of their links I don't know. But if you think about it with their short news does it seem like the right thing to come out of the short news into a ramp of nearly half the length of the bulletin. Their imaging is slick and fast exactly what you want from a HIT music station, most listeners wouldn't be able to tell you what a jingle, sweeper or liner is. For us radio heads it's the core of the station the branding for everybody else they subconsciously have it stamped in their brain every-time a song ends.

I don't think James is gearing towards women at all to be honest, it just goes to show how backward Ireland is when it comes to taking care of yourself. I know loads of males that straighten their hair, and i'm not sure if he is gay but gay presenters often have the edge with their on air personalities.

Regarding the Bassman I don't know if it was you that commented on the Digital Spy forum but you seem to be more or less quoting what was said there. It's been said before on this forum about Steve K that he's a bit old for SPIN I completely disagree to be honest he may be older than the rest of the on air presenters but the has crafted the 10 SPIN hit's format perfectly and the rest of the 10 SPIN hit's presenters just follow his lead. People who are listening for music don't care what age the presenter is, as long as he's playing the hit's and a bit of wit here and there he's perfect where he is.

By the way i'm not trying to start a fight either I completely respect your opinion too and am only giving mine it is a forum after all.

Opening a general CHR thread now.

Cookie.

Okay, the 30 second thing might have been exagurated... it was 15 seconds.

Take a quick listen to the sound of this.....http://soundcloud.com/stevereed-1/friday-night-hit-mix-october

IMHO: Incredible up-beat start to another CHR hour! - With personality too!!

By the way... for your enjoyment, here's an aircheck of James Barr : http://soundcloud.com/radioassistant/20121020-2000-2100-capitalfm

Sort-of in the mix, love that bit of Robyn S!

By the way... for your enjoyment, here's an aircheck of James Barr : http://soundcloud.com/radioassistant/20121020-2000-2100-capitalfm

Sort-of in the mix, love that bit of Robyn S!

Ooo like that actually Howard sound's good. But what an awful and unoriginal name for the show if i'm honest :D

I've heard that air-check before, he's brilliant he sounds effortless and like he's really enjoying himself.

Well maybe we should change the name to Capital and SPIN or else a general CHR thread.

I have to say I disagree with the fact that the sung jingles were in anyway remotely good. They sound too out-dated and old, they were being used in the early days of Z100. They all sound like they've been made on an electronic fisher price laptop too. A thirty second top of hour link for a CHR station is ridiculous in my opinion, it's called WAFFLING and trying to fill time. People that listen to a music station don't want to hear presenters talking ****e. I enjoy the TOH as it quick, effective and always perfectly timed, whether that has anything to do with the fact they pre-record most of their links I don't know. But if you think about it with their short news does it seem like the right thing to come out of the short news into a ramp of nearly half the length of the bulletin. Their imaging is slick and fast exactly what you want from a HIT music station, most listeners wouldn't be able to tell you what a jingle, sweeper or liner is. For us radio heads it's the core of the station the branding for everybody else they subconsciously have it stamped in their brain every-time a song ends.

I don't think James is gearing towards women at all to be honest, it just goes to show how backward Ireland is when it comes to taking care of yourself. I know loads of males that straighten their hair, and i'm not sure if he is gay but gay presenters often have the edge with their on air personalities.

Regarding the Bassman I don't know if it was you that commented on the Digital Spy forum but you seem to be more or less quoting what was said there. It's been said before on this forum about Steve K that he's a bit old for SPIN I completely disagree to be honest he may be older than the rest of the on air presenters but the has crafted the 10 SPIN hit's format perfectly and the rest of the 10 SPIN hit's presenters just follow his lead. People who are listening for music don't care what age the presenter is, as long as he's playing the hit's and a bit of wit here and there he's perfect where he is.

By the way i'm not trying to start a fight either I completely respect your opinion too and am only giving mine it is a forum after all.

Opening a general CHR thread now.

Cookie.

Steve is a great presenter and you're right that he has mastered the 10 SPIN Hits format so he is fine in his slot right now. Overall, I think the SPIN schedule is quite strong at the moment.

Also, just got bored of the music on Becki's show and James Barr was on a break so I tuned into SPIN SW's version of TRL and oh god it is awful. I think it might have been a cover presenter but I switched off after the first link. Obviously things haven't changed much.

Cooper was covering for Ryan on Fully Charged on Friday and he sounded really good with Tracy. The two of them were great together.
    It's good that SPIN have a cover presenter who has an on-air rapport with the co-presenter because previously, I didn't think SPIN had any male presenter who could cover for Ryan until Cooper came along.
    It's also nice to know that Tracy is such a good presenter and that she can carry the show herself because Ryan does most of the links usually even though her timing was just as good.

• Advertisement

ANOTHER big screw-up on SPIN just now.

Some Aussie called Nick Kay is in for Paul right now and he was going well until he went into the ads and halfway through the second ad, the jingle due to be played after the ads finished began and Ed Sheeran started playing over the top of the ads. SPIN TV isn't on but I can picture someone running into the studio to fix the problem.

I wonder where Martin is? This has been his slot for the past few weeks while Paul is away. Or even Riyadh or Cooper?

Who is Nick Kay never heard him anywhere before?

Me neither. He's Australian and I didn't know why he was on or who he was until he namechecked himself. Interesting choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

TO me it sounds like that 98fm syndicated crap from Seacrest, but obvs this guy aint american

TO me it sounds like that 98fm syndicated crap from Seacrest, but obvs this guy aint american

It could be but I can't understand how there was no one else available. Perhaps this guy is being given a go and lives in Ireland. Two hours on a Sunday and they couldn't get any of Riyadh, Martin, Nikki, Shona, Claire Flynn, Cooper or even Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

It could be but I can't understand how there was no one else available. Perhaps this guy is being given a go and lives in Ireland. Two hours on a Sunday and they couldn't get any of Riyadh, Martin, Nikki, Shona, Claire Flynn, Cooper or even Ryan?

Yeah seems fair odd, maybe it's someone new on the station and they're just starting him off with the odd few shifts here and there.

He did actually suit the format but it sounded odd and out of place because it's Aussie then Irish person straight before and afterwards

Yeah seems fair odd, maybe it's someone new on the station and they're just starting him off with the odd few shifts here and there.

He did actually suit the format but it sounded odd and out of place because it's Aussie then Irish person straight before and afterwards

I love Australian accents so I liked him but with Sarina already on SPIN, unfortunately for him, two Aussies on an Irish station isn't probably something management would go for. He made some mistakes which is ok for a first shift and with some training, he could suit the station quite well as a cover presenter. He could have the best personality in the world but it is hard to let that out under such a format as 10 Spin Hits. A decent start though.

Brian's off all this week so Lauren Kelly is joining Dara Quilty on The Zoo Crew this week.

Brian's off all this week so Lauren Kelly is joining Dara Quilty on The Zoo Crew this week.

She's brilliant, it'd be great if there was money there to have a proper zoo format of three people.

PAULS BACK! YAAAAAY! :D

• Advertisement

PAULS BACK! YAAAAAY! :D

Ha you beat me to it!!!! :D I'm sure he is loving the Irish weather having endured record-breaking temperatures in Oz.
    Great to have him back!!!

Advertisement