Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SPIN Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

I really miss him but hopefully Radio 1 get him and give him a show. Dara is such a talented presenter but he is wasted on The Zoo Crew. There is no time for features or prank calls because they have to cram 30 songs into two hours. They should move Becki to The Zoo Crew and give Dara back his evening show.

Tracy Clifford is doing The Big Handbag tonight BTW. MORE time off for Becki.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

smurfs5 wrote: »
    It is a shame that Lauren Kelly didn't come along sooner because then she could have slotted in nicely as Claire Beck's replacement

Lauren used to read the news for ages before she left and came back doing some covers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

Lauren used to read the news for ages before she left and came back doing some covers

She wasn't long started when Claire Beck departed for Phantom if I remember correctly.

She wasn't long started when Claire Beck departed for Phantom if I remember correctly.

I think she used to do morning news and Georgie used to do afternoons then they swapped. I think

I think she used to do morning news and Georgie used to do afternoons then they swapped. I think

Speaking of Georgie, she seems to have been demoted to entertainment news. She is kind of Rory's replacement but she doesn't feature on Fully Charged at all and she is the best newsreader at SPIN in my opinion. Her talents seem to be wasted doing The Inside Story.
    I don't mean to have a go at her but Karin, who reads the news at weekends, is really not suited to newsreading. She reads it in a really awkward way and should probably stick to being a Spini if I'm honest.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Georgie, she seems to have been demoted to entertainment news. She is kind of Rory's replacement but she doesn't feature on Fully Charged at all and she is the best newsreader at SPIN in my opinion. Her talents seem to be wasted doing The Inside Story.
    I don't mean to have a go at her but Karin, who reads the news at weekends, is really not suited to newsreading. She reads it in a really awkward way and should probably stick to being a Spini if I'm honest.

Eh, have you heard Suzanne :mad:

Eh, have you heard Suzanne :mad:

Yeah, heard her. :rolleyes: :confused:. It appears that Ian and Georgie have been given the two weeks off but I would have thought that they could cope with Kim, Karin, Rachel and the odd shift from Brendan O' Loughlin.

Steven Cooper is covering Brendan Roache right now on SPIN Hits. He managed to get the text number wrong in his first link. Good start...... :rolleyes:

Yeah, heard her. :rolleyes: :confused:. It appears that Ian and Georgie have been given the two weeks off but I would have thought that they could cope with Kim, Karin, Rachel and the odd shift from Brendan O' Loughlin.

Steven Cooper is covering Brendan Roache right now on SPIN Hits. He managed to get the text number wrong in his first link. Good start...... :rolleyes:

what number did he give out lol?

what number did he give out lol?

087111038. Not far off and easy to get wrong if you're looking at it for the first time but he has done some cover work before and the least that is expected of him is to get the text number correct- sounded like he hadn't done enough prep. No one will be texting in on that number.

087111038. Not far off and easy to get wrong if you're looking at it for the first time but he has done some cover work before and the least that is expected of him is to get the text number correct- sounded like he hadn't done enough prep. No one will be texting in on that number.

Ah I see feckin idiot.. well could have been worse he could have said 53981

• Advertisement

Ah I see feckin idiot.. well could have been worse he could have said 53981

Haha yeah :) . It baffles me that SPIN persist with this long text number. Most stations have a five digit number which is simple and easy to remember for listeners.

So, a day of cover presenters on SPIN. Paul, Brendan and Becki were all off today. Martin Guilfoyle covered Paul, Steven Cooper sat in for Brendan and Riyadh is doing TRL in place of Becki tonight.

The time off for Becki just keeps on coming. It is unbelievable really. As Cookie Policy said, she hardly completes a full week anymore. Riyadh has now done a 7 day week while Becki has only done 3. I'm quite enjoying Riyadh on the show tonight, he is much better than Becki IMO. I like how he is playing some of the big songs from throughout the year, an appropriate thing to do considering it is the last TRL of the year. I do wonder how Ms Miller has gotten so much time off though. It is a shame Paul isn't around but Riyadh is presenting very well tonight.

Haha yeah :) . It baffles me that SPIN persist with this long text number. Most stations have a five digit number which is simple and easy to remember for listeners

YEah but then again most people have free texts.. and their audience is youth orientated, the wouldn't be as inclined to text in if they were charged

What James said about the text is exactly how I would have responded read my mind! :P

What James said about the text is exactly how I would have responded read my mind! :P

You know what they say... "great minds think alike"....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭jimmy2flutes

The time off for Becki just keeps on coming. It is unbelievable really. As Cookie Policy said, she hardly completes a full week anymore. Riyadh has now done a 7 day week while Becki has only done 3. I'm quite enjoying Riyadh on the show tonight, he is much better than Becki IMO. I like how he is playing some of the big songs from throughout the year, an appropriate thing to do considering it is the last TRL of the year. I do wonder how Ms Miller has gotten so much time off though. It is a shame Paul isn't around but Riyadh is presenting very well tonight.

You surely have a dislike for Becki Miller. I would like to know where this stems from.

One possible explanation as to Becki being off would be as a full time employee she has holiday days that have to be used up before the end of the year and then the part timers like Riyadh or Paul would be brought in for holiday cover and are paid a freelance rate.

You surely have a dislike for Becki Miller. I would like to know where this stems from.

One possible explanation as to Becki being off would be as a full time employee she has holiday days that have to be used up before the end of the year and then the part timers like Riyadh or Paul would be brought in for holiday cover and are paid a freelance rate.

I don't think smurf anything against her, she just may not be his favourite presenter, if you read more comments you'll see that smurfs5 has merely said that she is better suited to a different time slot. He hasn't said he's got a dislike for her. If anything he's giving constructive criticism to her. If you'd like to see dislike for presenters head over the Derek Mooney or Ray D'Arcy thread there's where you'll see dislike for presenters.

I suppose the holiday thing is an explanation alright, but like myself smurfs5 is a solid listener of the station and just from listening throughout the year you'd notice the small things about how much time off presenters are taking off. Then again you may be right, i'm just giving my own opinion. :)

Cookie Policy has said it all. I don't have an extreme dislike of her, just that she is in the wrong timeslot and that her style and presenting tone would be better suited to a SPIN Hits show. Don't know how you think that my comments are anything personal.

Also, Paul isn't a part-timer. As 98FM and SPIN are located above one another, he is the techy person for both and then he does his show on SPIN on Sundays.

Cookie Policy has said it all. I don't have an extreme dislike of her, just that she is in the wrong timeslot and that her style and presenting tone would be better suited to a SPIN Hits show. Don't know how you think that my comments are anything personal.

Also, Paul isn't a part-timer. As 98FM and SPIN are located above one another, he is the techy person for both and then he does his show on SPIN on Sundays.

If we're getting technical here, there on the same floor & corridor ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

What was SPIN like last night? - FM104 was slick, Frank Jez 'In the Mix'. I often wonder why they have him doing an hour on Sat & Sun, but after hearing the show last night, I thought it was amazing.

PS. Sorry this has nothing to do with SPIN but - The end-of-year promo made by Pat Gill for 104 is brilliant , very funny too

gavindowd wrote: »
    What was SPIN like last night? - FM104 was slick, Frank Jez 'In the Mix'. I often wonder why they have him doing an hour on Sat & Sun, but after hearing the show last night, I thought it was amazing.

PS. Sorry this has nothing to do with SPIN but - The end-of-year promo made by Pat Gill for 104 is brilliant , very funny too

Any audio?

• Advertisement

Martin Guilfoyle sitting in for Becki Miller on TRL right now.

Any audio?

Of the promo- none. Killian O Sullivan ended his show early at 9:54, to compensate (Frank Jez started at 10) - Master Control (the playout system) programmed 2 promos; the new years one and one about Friday's (this was on a Monday), then the ads were played. After the ads had finished, those same promos were back on! :eek:

Never mind that but Frank Jez still started his show early :rolleyes:

Of the promo- none. Killian O Sullivan ended his show early at 9:54, to compensate (Frank Jez started at 10) - Master Control (the playout system) programmed 2 promos; the new years one and one about Friday's (this was on a Monday), then the ads were played. After the ads had finished, those same promos were back on! :eek:

Never mind that but Frank Jez still started his show early :rolleyes:

To be honest I don't really know any of the people your talking about, wouldn't be a 104 listener. But as for the promos thing, you can see the promo's that are in front of you before you even start your show, a presenter should really be vigilant to remove out-dated promos from the system even if they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Lauren Kelly on the SPIN for Johnathan today, sounding very good.

Lauren Kelly on the SPIN for Johnathan today, sounding very good.

Was about to post that. I don't get to listen to the show often but her and Clare are fantastic together. I find Jonathan a bit boring and condescending sometimes and Lauren is contributing very well today. Wouldn't mind if they made her permanent.

During Riyadh's show this morning, he went for the 10.45 news but something went wrong and after 15 seconds of dead air, the emergency tape was used and the next 10 Spin Hits In A Row commenced.
    During the last week when cover news presenters have been used, the news has never been read out straight after the end of the donut with a bit of a gap or else the newsreader has started reading the bulletin before his/her q.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kimye1987

Hey guys, I'm new to this but saw the spin thread and said I would join as I am a HUGE spin fan. Although I do love Radio in general. Would love to persue a career in it in later life.

What do you guys make of the weekend presenters on spin sw? The likes of Orla and Liam for example??
    I think they're quite good!

Cooper was on Breakie this morning, meant to get an aircheck for you guys

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Kimye1987 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm new to this but saw the spin thread and said I would join as I am a HUGE spin fan. Although I do love Radio in general. Would love to persue a career in it in later life.

What do you guys make of the weekend presenters on spin sw? The likes of Orla and Liam for example??
    I think they're quite good!

Liam is great craic to be fair. I'm not a major fan of Spin, but at the weekends it's miles ahead of the competition IMO, beating Today FM and 2FM hands down.

• Advertisement

Cooper was on Breakie this morning, meant to get an aircheck for you guys

Just saw that. I remember he did it on a Friday a few weeks ago with Tracy and he was really good. He seems to suit the laid-back format more so I'm glad that he is becoming Breakfast cover.
    Was he on with Becki or by himself because last night, the show was being promoted as "Becki in for Ryan & Tracy".

Advertisement