Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SPIN Thread

Options
  • 22-12-2012 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

There is a generic thread about Capital on another popular forum site so I thought I'd create this for general chat about the two stations (unless SPIN Jordan or SPIN Czech Republic is your thing ;) ). Usually, there is something to be discussed so anything regarding the station can go here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Firstly, SPIN 1038's Christmas Day schedule is :

6:45/7:45 (not sure about the start time)-11.45 = Riyadh Khalaf
    11.45-2.45 = Fully Charged Christmas Special with Ryan & Tracy
    2.45-6.45 = SPIN Hits with Paul Bonass
    6.45-8.45= The Zoo Crew Hot 30 with Brian & Dara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

The best thing about Spin is trying to find as many anagrams of the word. I can find 2. Can anybody better that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

Thoughts on SPIN SW these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    The best thing about Spin is trying to find as many anagrams of the word. I can find 2. Can anybody better that?

SPIN

snip
    nips
    pins

I'm a genius :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Firstly, SPIN 1038's Christmas Day schedule is :

6:45/7:45 (not sure about the start time)-11.45 = Riyadh Khalaf
    11.45-2.45 = Fully Charged Christmas Special with Ryan & Tracy
    2.45-6.45 = SPIN Hits with Paul Bonass
    6.45-8.45= The Zoo Crew Hot 30 with Brian & Dara

Presumably these shows are all voice-tracked

• Advertisement

gavindowd wrote: »
    Presumably these shows are all voice-tracked

I know Spin Sw is VT'd for xmas day. I'd say 1038 will do the same. Unless they have SPIN TV on

I know Spin Sw is VT'd for xmas day. I'd say 1038 will do the same. Unless they have SPIN TV on

I remember last year Nikki Hayes was doing breakfast on Christmas Day and it was live because SPIN TV was on. I would say Riyadh and Paul will be live with the others pre-recorded to allow some form of listener interaction. For me, they should have Riyadh live at breakfast to allow some proper live excitement and so listeners can tell him what they got, what song they want to hear etc.

Also, Becki Miller will be doing SPIN's New Year's Eve Party with an extended version of The Big Handbag from 8.45. It's a good idea to do a dance-themed show but I'm not sure Becki on her own is the best choice. They should have roped in Brian Maher or Paul to do the show with her IMO.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Thoughts on SPIN SW these days?

I actually find it alright at the weekends. Whoever does the 2:45-6:45 slot on Saturdays and Sundays is very easy to listen to. I like having it on in the background if I'm in the car or on the internet.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I actually find it alright at the weekends. Whoever does the 2:45-6:45 slot on Saturdays and Sundays is very easy to listen to. I like having it on in the background if I'm in the car or on the internet.

Liam Mackessy according to their website.

It may sound obvious but was Becki live on TRL last night? I don't know why but I got the feeling that it was voicetracked.
    Also, The Zoo Crew gave the impression that they were live by saying "Merry Christmas" to callers. Were they live or did they pre-record the show?

I was extremely disappointed with SPIN's music yesterday. I love listening to Greg James on BBC Radio 1 on Christmas Day morning and do so every year. He plays nothing but Christmas songs which is fantastic but SPIN played about 2 Christmas songs an hour which was awful IMO. Even Capital were playing a Christmas song every other song.

• Advertisement

The Zoo Crew gave the impression that they were live by saying "Merry Christmas" to callers. Were they live or did they pre-record the show?.

I'm guessing they were voice tracked, for the simple reason SPIN Tv was not turned on. Also I've been called before to win a prize but the call was played the next day* so maybe they just called people Christmas eve and just said we'll play it tomorrow.

* they didn't even tell me it would be played the next day

I'm guessing they were voice tracked, for the simple reason SPIN Tv was not turned on. Also I've been called before to win a prize but the call was played the next day* so maybe they just called people Christmas eve and just said we'll play it tomorrow.

* they didn't even tell me it would be played the next day

I'm pretty sure Becki Miller's show was voicetracked on Christmas Day which was fine but she was encouraging people to text and tweet in their requests. I thought that this was extremely disappointing and deceptive to get people to text in and spend money when effectively, they're texting a computer with no one behind it. Couldn't they have just put on 10 SPIN Hits In The Mix (like tonight) or John Gibbons or a repeat of SPIN Party or even SPIN Hits @ Night?

I'm pretty sure Becki Miller's show was voicetracked on Christmas Day which was fine but she was encouraging people to text and tweet in their requests. I thought that this was extremely disappointing and deceptive to get people to text in and spend money when effectively, they're texting a computer with no one behind it. Couldn't they have just put on 10 SPIN Hits In The Mix (like tonight) or John Gibbons or a repeat of SPIN Party or even SPIN Hits @ Night?

You wouldn't mind if she wasnt encouraging the texts. then again most people will have free texts so it doesn't make a difference. Be different for the likes of 98fm who charge 20 cent regardless of free texts etc.

Ryan Phillips doing SPIN Hit's live right now, sounding good.

Ryan Phillips doing SPIN Hit's live right now, sounding good.

You think? He's ok but I'm not that impressed. He doesn't sound comfortable with the SPIN Hits format and his style is so much more forced than the way he is on breakfast. He has only ever done shows which allow him more freedom (Fully Charged, The Zoo Crew, The Lock-In) so I think he is just being used because there is no-one else around.

I guess, he's alright anyway. I'd imagine so, they usually don't use any of their day-to-day presenters for that. But Paul's on holidays, and Martin and Riyadh seem to be doing loads of cover work at the moment too.

As for the Zoo-Crew tonight it's definitely voice-tracked, I can tell the way the voice tracks are lined up with the songs that it's been voice-tracked. Reason being the wonderful piece of radio automation software/hardware doesn't allow you to edit the song volume intro when your lining it up with voice-tracks so unless the song has a very low intro or the voice-track has been boosted it usually drowns out the sound of the voice.

I guess, he's alright anyway. I'd imagine so, they usually don't use any of their day-to-day presenters for that. But Paul's on holidays, and Martin and Riyadh seem to be doing loads of cover work at the moment too.

As for the Zoo-Crew tonight it's definitely voice-tracked, I can tell the way the voice tracks are lined up with the songs that it's been voice-tracked. Reason being the wonderful piece of radio automation software/hardware doesn't allow you to edit the song volume intro when your lining it up with voice-tracks so unless the song has a very low intro or the voice-track has been boosted it usually drowns out the sound of the voice.

The Zoo Crew wasn't voicetracked last night. I was listening via SPIN TV and I saw Brian in the studio by himself. He did turn it off early on but I'm pretty sure he was live last night. Every other SPIN show these past few days have been live so why would The Zoo Crew be any different? It could have just been a case of him forgetting to lower down the fader on the intro to a song. I know what you mean by his voice being drowned out though. On the intro to Beauty And A Beat, his link was inaudible.

With regard to Martin and Riyadh, they haven't done THAT much cover work (only 3 days) but they've both done quite well. I think Martin is doing TRL on Tuesday so that should be interesting to see him tackle a show which requires some audience intereaction and him talking more and doing competitions. He has been quite good on SPIN Hits at breakfast the last few days so we'll see what he is like. In the same way Ryan Phillips was doing Drivetime yesterday, Martin is probably only doing it because there is no one else around (Paul Bonass is Down Under on holidays (as you pointed out, Cookie Policy), Becki is probably having a day off due to her doing an extended show on New Year's Eve or else she is doing Drivetime, Riyadh will be doing the 11.45 slot, Steve K is off and Shona Ryan will probably be doing either Drivetime or Breakfast).

My mistake, but they have been known to voice-track from 8/8:15 - 8:45 before so he may have just voice-tracked those links. To be quite honest Brian is nothing without Dara or vice versa. It may have been but considering the time he's spent in radio that's second nature really especially with headphones on.

I don't mean over Christmas really but there getting a few gigs here and there which is good, could be the future of SPIN.

As for Becki her New Years time off is understandable but she's always off, its weird. Compared to the other presenters she barley completes a full week anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i dont know much about radio, but i really enjoy SPIN

most people think its dull but i love the way i know what will be on when i am going to work and i know if i am late or early depending on what they are talking about!!

in the evenings its the same, more often then not if i text in its read out or i am called back to speak on the show, i am yet to receive any prizes from them yet though!

My mistake, but they have been known to voice-track from 8/8:15 - 8:45 before so he may have just voice-tracked those links. To be quite honest Brian is nothing without Dara or vice versa. It may have been but considering the time he's spent in radio that's second nature really especially with headphones on.

I don't mean over Christmas really but there getting a few gigs here and there which is good, could be the future of SPIN.

As for Becki her New Years time off is understandable but she's always off, its weird. Compared to the other presenters she barley completes a full week anymore.

Completely agree that Brian has been awful by himself over the last few days. Couldn't Lauren Kelly have done it with him? Brian and Dara are great together but by themselves, they are lost. As you point out, such experienced presenters should be capable of flying solo once in a while.

Martin and Riyadh are improving all the time and it was a good decision by the PD to bring in Martin and get rid of Claire Flynn.

In 3 years time, I would like to have the following schedule:

6:45 = Fully Charged with Ryan & Tracy
    9:45 = Becki Miller
    12:45 = Talk Show
    2:45 = Steve K/Riyadh Khalaf
    6:45 = Zoo Crew Hot 30 with Brian & Dara
    8:45 = TRL with Paul Bonass

Martin could get a weekend slot.

Yeah, I've noticed that Becki has had an unbelievable amount of time off over the last few months. As well as the numerous Sundays which she takes off, she was ill for a whole week, on holidays for 2 and a half weeks and then she was covering Steve K for one week and then covering Ryan & Tracy for another week so she has been off TRL a LOT. I'm not complaining though, more Paul Bonass for us!! :) . I'm amazed how she is still in the slot which she is in. I'm not saying that she is an awful presenter but she is too forced and unnatural in her style and delivery. Her links are too repetitive (she says the text number and "the most music station" in EVERY SINGLE LINK) and I can't help but feeling that she should be doing a SPIN Hits slot which she is more suited to. Nikki Hayes should be moved to weekends IMO and Paul should do TRL.

• Advertisement

Completely agree that Brian has been awful by himself over the last few days. Couldn't Lauren Kelly have done it with him? Brian and Dara are great together but by themselves, they are lost. As you point out, such experienced presenters should be capable of flying solo once in a while.

Martin and Riyadh are improving all the time and it was a good decision by the PD to bring in Martin and get rid of Claire Flynn.

In 3 years time, I would like to have the following schedule:

6:45 = Fully Charged with Ryan & Tracy
    9:45 = Becki Miller
    12:45 = Talk Show
    2:45 = Steve K/Riyadh Khalaf
    6:45 = Zoo Crew Hot 30 with Brian & Dara
    8:45 = TRL with Paul Bonass

Martin could get a weekend slot.

Yeah, I've noticed that Becki has had an unbelievable amount of time off over the last few months. As well as the numerous Sundays which she takes off, she was ill for a whole week, on holidays for 2 and a half weeks and then she was covering Steve K for one week and then covering Ryan & Tracy for another week so she has been off TRL a LOT. I'm not complaining though, more Paul Bonass for us!! :) . I'm amazed how she is still in the slot which she is in. I'm not saying that she is an awful presenter but she is too forced and unnatural in her style and delivery. Her links are too repetitive (she says the text number and "the most music station" in EVERY SINGLE LINK) and I can't help but feeling that she should be doing a SPIN Hits slot which she is more suited to. Nikki Hayes should be moved to weekends IMO and Paul should do TRL.

Even Becki would have been a good substitute with him, but it's called The Zoo Crew for a reason and they needs to be two people doing it at all times. I like them both together, but Dara manages to sail the ship that bit better than Brian in my opinion, he makes better use of hot-keys and beds too.

I enjoy both Martin and Riyadh, Claire Flynn used to be good back in her days with Eoghan McDermott when he would do the desk and some of his ingenious ideas for fillers but then they left her more less do it on her own technology wise and she didn't really have a clue at what she was doing. I do agree with your statement about Becki doing a SPIN hit's show. There is much more room to be flexible in the TRL slot than she is letting on, at the end of the day it's not 10 SPIN Hit's in a row and its not a race to go to news on time. Where her links, are generic, short and to the point the ideal formula for 10 SPIN Hit's in a row. The morning slot may be her calling but I can't see Nikki Hayes moving very fast to be honest after being snapped up after her depature from 2FM. Although she doesn't make much use of the imaging and beds like Paul and everytime I hear her opening link I want to rip the radio out of the wall, that same blooody bed that drowns out her voice. Oh, and the fact that Nikki's show is now Networked this may take getting used to for Becki.

As for afternoon SPIN Hit's I can see this getting a shake up in a few years, but i'd imagine it will be Steve that will vacate the position and will not be forced. He's like his own boss really and an excellent CHR presenter in my opinion. Drive-time is the flagship show so I can't see Riyadh slipping into that slot if Steve does leave, i'd imagine it would be Becki or maybe......EVEN.....PAUL ! ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Brian probably v/t'ed when on air and didn't have time to clear up the links ie. turn the intro volume down

gavindowd wrote: »
    Brian probably v/t'ed when on air and didn't have time to clear up the links ie. turn the intro volume down

Waste of a link in that case and as smurfs5 said inaudible!

Even Becki would have been a good substitute with him, but it's called The Zoo Crew for a reason and they needs to be two people doing it at all times. I like them both together, but Dara manages to sail the ship that bit better than Brian in my opinion, he makes better use of hot-keys and beds too.

I enjoy both Martin and Riyadh, Claire Flynn used to be good back in her days with Eoghan McDermott when he would do the desk and some of his ingenious ideas for fillers but then they left her more less do it on her own technology wise and she didn't really have a clue at what she was doing. I do agree with your statement about Becki doing a SPIN hit's show. There is much more room to be flexible in the TRL slot than she is letting on, at the end of the day it's not 10 SPIN Hit's in a row and its not a race to go to news on time. Where her links, are generic, short and to the point the ideal formula for 10 SPIN Hit's in a row. The morning slot may be her calling but I can't see Nikki Hayes moving very fast to be honest after being snapped up after her depature from 2FM. Although she doesn't make much use of the imaging and beds like Paul and everytime I hear her opening link I want to rip the radio out of the wall, that same blooody bed that drowns out her voice. Oh, and the fact that Nikki's show is now Networked this may take getting used to for Becki.

As for afternoon SPIN Hit's I can see this getting a shake up in a few years, but i'd imagine it will be Steve that will vacate the position and will not be forced. He's like his own boss really and an excellent CHR presenter in my opinion. Drive-time is the flagship show so I can't see Riyadh slipping into that slot if Steve does leave, i'd imagine it would be Becki or maybe......EVEN.....PAUL ! ! :D

Dara definitely operates the desk in a much more effective way. His use of beds etc. make the show sound more lively and he seems to be the one cracking the jokes and instigating the fun for the most part. I do reminisce sometimes about how brilliant Dara was on The Lock In and how he made that show such a focal point of the SPIN schedule. I would have loved to see the listenership figures for the show because there used to be such a buzz about him broadcasting from a listener's house on Thursdays. It is a shame that Lauren Kelly didn't come along sooner because then she could have slotted in nicely as Claire Beck's replacement.

I do wonder why Eoghan McDermott left XFM. I can only presume that a bigger opportunity is in the pipeline for him in the new year because what sane man leaves the Drivetime slot in the two biggest cities in England?

Becki can be quite a "that was, this is" presenter. When you think of TRL on MTV a few years ago, it was very much an audience-based show which was fun and lively. Becki's show is too structured if you know what I mean. She probably plays more songs than the 13 or so which are played on daytime because she doesn't have to do news. I love the music she plays and I'm not saying cut down drastically on the number of songs played but more audience interaction and more of Becki's personality emerging would be nice. Her cringe-worthy and boring cliche of "what are ya up to?" "Great" "Here's your song" is tiresome as a listener- MAKE SOME EFFORT IN YOUR LINKS, BECKI!!.

I agree that a shake-up of SPIN Hits at Drivetime could be imminent. I don't want to engage in Radio 1-esque ageism but Steve is starting to sound a little older than the average age of his listeners. He is unquestionably a fantastic presenter and he has mastered the 10 SPIN Hits In A Row format and perfects the links while being witty. However, is he really relevant to a youth-orientated station? I do thoroughly enjoy him but perhaps it could be time for him to give someone else a go in a few years. Enter Paul!! :D

Dara definitely operates the desk in a much more effective way. His use of beds etc. make the show sound more lively and he seems to be the one cracking the jokes and instigating the fun for the most part. I do reminisce sometimes about how brilliant Dara was on The Lock In and how he made that show such a focal point of the SPIN schedule. I would have loved to see the listenership figures for the show because there used to be such a buzz about him broadcasting from a listener's house on Thursdays. It is a shame that Lauren Kelly didn't come along sooner because then she could have slotted in nicely as Claire Beck's replacement.

I do wonder why Eoghan McDermott left XFM. I can only presume that a bigger opportunity is in the pipeline for him in the new year because what sane man leaves the Drivetime slot in the two biggest cities in England?

Becki can be quite a "that was, this is" presenter. When you think of TRL on MTV a few years ago, it was very much an audience-based show which was fun and lively. Becki's show is too structured if you know what I mean. She probably plays more songs than the 13 or so which are played on daytime because she doesn't have to do news. I love the music she plays and I'm not saying cut down drastically on the number of songs played but more audience interaction and more of Becki's personality emerging would be nice. Her cringe-worthy and boring cliche of "what are ya up to?" "Great" "Here's your song" is tiresome as a listener- MAKE SOME EFFORT IN YOUR LINKS, BECKI!!.

I agree that a shake-up of SPIN Hits at Drivetime could be imminent. I don't want to engage in Radio 1-esque ageism but Steve is starting to sound a little older than the average age of his listeners. He is unquestionably a fantastic presenter and he has mastered the 10 SPIN Hits In A Row format and perfects the links while being witty. However, is he really relevant to a youth-orientated station? I do thoroughly enjoy him but perhaps it could be time for him to give someone else a go in a few years. Enter Paul!! :D

Indeed, The Lock In was my favourite show at one stage, I used to literally sit by the radio from 8:30pm Sunday - Thursday because even his opening link was pretty cool like to be honest he had SPIN in the palm of his hand on that show and I think bringing in TRL was a stupid idea. If i'm honest I think we get enough music all day with SPIN that The Lock In was the perfect wind-down after a long day a few laughs, I used to love the ****e Talk Phone Show and other features he had. I loved "Welcome Along" too even though it was stolen from the BBC :rolleyes:

I would say he is moving to the BBC it's really the only other alternative for him, as his out and out comments about Capital and KISS's playlists would may have hindered his decision, although he worked for SPIN I know Radio 1 seems to be in the right balance, something that 2FM could pick up on if they had the balls to drop their ****e by the book cover they have over their heads, they need to take a chance and push some boundaries there a national station for god sakes.

Yeah but that's I think Becki would suit the day-time format better because of her presenting style. But yes she rests on the radio crutches, a few lessons with Brian McColl would straighten her out if she was up for it to be honest, but the longer you go on the harder it gets to shake off the cliches.

Hmm he may be a little more suited to the FM104 audience they would not be quite as young as the SPIN audience I suppose, but i'm not too sure. My god we're obsessed with Paul :P

http://ppiradioawards.com/2009/mp3s/A1.mp3

Let's take 20 minutes to relive the memories :)

Hmm he may be a little more suited to the FM104 audience they would not be quite as young as the SPIN audience I suppose, but i'm not too sure. My god we're obsessed with Paul :P

Haha yeah we are but if it's any comfort, I'm sure radio nerds who listen to SPIN appreciate him in the same way :). He is an exceptional talent who says all the right things and the way he pauses for the change-up in a song or says something funny before the transition in the jingles makes him a great listen.
    Steve K came from FM104 but I suppose a move back there could be possible. The success of FM104 continues to baffle me though. Nearly all of their presenters are rubbish and their playlist isn't entirely different to that of 98fm, who have fantastic presenters but continue to lose listeners. Steve would be a good choice to replace Andy Preston or Ben Murray if the PD thought Steve would fit in well at the station. Within the Communicorp family, perhaps he could replace Barry Dunne who is quite a boring presenter IMO or 98FM could drop their awful Ryan Seacrest show and install Steve K into their schedule.

Haha yeah we are but if it's any comfort, I'm sure radio nerds who listen to SPIN appreciate him in the same way :). He is an exceptional talent who says all the right things and the way he pauses for the change-up in a song or says something funny before the transition in the jingles makes him a great listen.
    Steve K came from FM104 but I suppose a move back there could be possible. The success of FM104 continues to baffle me though. Nearly all of their presenters are rubbish and their playlist isn't entirely different to that of 98fm, who have fantastic presenters but continue to lose listeners. Steve would be a good choice to replace Andy Preston or Ben Murray if the PD thought Steve would fit in well at the station. Within the Communicorp family, perhaps he could replace Barry Dunne who is quite a boring presenter IMO or 98FM could drop their awful Ryan Seacrest show and install Steve K into their schedule.

Exactly! Actually I take it back, I don't think a move outside Communicorp would be a good move for Steve. I know i'd say I've listened to 104 possibly 4 times since I moved to Dublin 5 years ago. Somebody please shoot Ryan Seacrest! Steve could easily slot into that slot even if they wanted to have a chart show at night. But Seacrest is cringe over here :mad:

http://ppiradioawards.com/2009/mp3s/A1.mp3

Let's take 20 minutes to relive the memories :)

Hahaha LOVE THAT!! Thanks for digging it out. Why can't he reprise the show? It is like there is a boring version of himself on the Zoo Crew.
    I'll finish listening to it later but I loved the Melon caller. Becki would have just been like "Ha funny name-here's your tune".
    His use of songs and beds made the show sound so fresh and lively and he created a "family" feeling and really connected with the audience. Loved the "Eye of The Tiger" thing as well. Really enjoying this!! :)

On the topic of Eoghan McDermott and Claire Flynn, here is Dara and Eoghan trying to prank call her on The Lock In:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abQedfU3gFM

• Advertisement

Hahaha LOVE THAT!! Thanks for digging it out. Why can't he reprise the show? It is like there is a boring version of himself on the Zoo Crew.
    I'll finish listening to it later but I loved the Melon caller. Becki would have just been like "Ha funny name-here's your tune".
    His use of songs and beds made the show sound so fresh and lively and he created a "family" feeling and really connected with the audience. Loved the "Eye of The Tiger" thing as well. Really enjoying this!! :)

On the topic of Eoghan McDermott and Claire Flynn, here is Dara and Eoghan trying to prank call her on The Lock In:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abQedfU3gFM

Yeah was listening back to some of Eoghan's old stuff from XFM the other day and found that gem too. :D

Advertisement