Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SPIN Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭car.kar

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Cheers for that.

Have people who are going into university and looking for a placement done one there or is the idea mainly focused on TY students? Whenever I look at the website, it always says that the programme is full.

It's mostly for TY students looking for their week's work placement, Spin usually have 2 - 4 of them a week. There have been a few people who got some work experience while doing a media degree or something similar in college, but not many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

Hope I haven't said anything to offend the SPIN staff only constructive criticism! Great station and at the top of it's game in Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Hope I haven't said anything to offend the SPIN staff only constructive criticism! Great station and at the top of it's game in Dublin!

Agreed. Any comments in this thread are from a purely constructive basis. It really is a fantastic station but the minor observations show that there isn't anything major to criticise the station about.

It is kind of awkward knowing that some of the staff read this thread but I hope the honest contributions keep coming.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ImZara

Agreed. Any comments in this thread are from a purely constructive basis. It really is a fantastic station but the minor observations show that there isn't anything major to criticise the station about.

It is kind of awkward knowing that some of the staff read this thread but I hope the honest contributions keep coming.....:)

And what "constructive criticism" can a TY student offer a successful franchise that is the SPIN brand.
    So far all I've seen is "fangirling" from you.

Not so much constructive criticism but more an unhealthy obsession.

I respect you're a fan but C'MON!

ImZara wrote: »
    And what "constructive criticism" can a TY student offer a successful franchise that is the SPIN brand.

I'm not a TY student and making a comment on here doesn't mean that I expect SPIN to read this thread and implement anything I say.

Fangirling? Do me a favour. I may think that Paul is an excellent presenter and as such, I think he deserves to be praised. Apart from that, go and find me an example of my supposed "fangirling".

That line about an "unhealthy obsession" made me laugh. You obviously don't read other websites where the detail into which posters go about stations is far greater. As someone who listens to the radio a lot and is a self-confessed radio geek, I notice a lot of the technical things and stuff about presenters and imaging on SPIN which listeners who only listen for the most music every hour would never notice and that's fine.

In the words of Chris Moyles, "you don't get it".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 ImZara

Here comes the first link.....

fangirling...:cool:
    I'm not a TY student and making a comment on here doesn't mean that I expect SPIN to read this thread and implement anything I say.

Fangirling? Do me a favour. I may think that Paul is an excellent presenter and as such, I think he deserves to be praised. Apart from that, go and find me an example of my supposed "fangirling".

That line about an "unhealthy obsession" made me laugh. You obviously don't read other websites where the detail into which posters go about stations is far greater. As someone who listens to the radio a lot and is a self-confessed radio geek, I notice a lot of the technical things and stuff about presenters and imaging on SPIN which listeners who only listen for the most music every hour would never notice and that's fine.

In the words of Chris Moyles, "you don't get it".

Did I not just say "APART FROM PAUL" :rolleyes::confused:

ImZara wrote: »

Well considering SPIN wouldn't be around if it wasn't for it's listeners I don't think that's a fair comment to make.

No listeners = low JNLR's = low advertising = no jobs = no SPIN.

You should read some more threads on this site, particularly the RTE ones...where people break down each show to it's core and criticise every little bit..oh and also have unhealthy obsessions or so you say with no just the station but the presenter itself.

In my own personally life SPIN play's a particular type of music so if I want CHR i'll listen to SPIN if I want something else there is plenty of other stations. Considering I am a fan of CHR radio SPIN is an easy option to listen to.

This is a radio station thread for people that love/hate radio to vent or to praise. Nobody's talking about the other however many listeners that don't really care about what they're listening to as long as One Direction and Justin Bieber are played.

Nicole Scherzinger- Right There is being played as tonight's No.4 on The Zoo Crew Hot 30 (1038). Obviously, it was supposed to be Boomerang and Brian loaded in the wrong song. :-/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Was listening to SW over the weekend. Orla Walsh and I think Antoinette Gleeson's shows were excellent. Great music being played, upbeat and likable presenters.

Also, someone told me what it was before but I can't for the life of me remember, whatever way Spin broadcasts makes the music and presenters sound great. Far more bassy than other stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Nicole Scherzinger- Right There is being played as tonight's No.4 on The Zoo Crew Hot 30 (1038). Obviously, it was supposed to be Boomerang and Brian loaded in the wrong song. :-/

The presenters are unable to alter the log, and so could not have changed the song. It must have been a scheduling error. I doubt the votes texted in to the Zoo Crew actually translate to the songs being played on the show anyway...

gavindowd wrote: »
    The presenters are unable to alter the log, and so could not have changed the song. It must have been a scheduling error. I doubt the votes texted in to the Zoo Crew actually translate to the songs being played on the show anyway...

Yeah, Bieber, 1D, Taylor Swift et al are always going to get to the top 3. The order of the chart does seem very formatted and I agree that the order is most likely not dictated by the number of votes per song.

Sarina Bellissimo was on with Ryan this morning for Fully Charged. One of my favourite presenters on the station so I'm glad she is being used as cover. I think she's on tomorrow as well.

RCS easily allows you to remove and replace a song if needs be. It should have been Justin Bieber and Drake - Right Here instead of Nicole Scherzinger - Right There.

I'd imagine they were either recording a phone-call at that stage and didn't realise it or else it started playing before they took any notice of it, considering they linked after the song and didn't mention the name or position in the chart on the song.

Well the text system SPIN use it allows them to keyword the texts that are texted in for the Zoo Crew hence the "HOT" keyword, and you can then again use the keyword to search for a particular song and they are easily counted then. But the whole Bieber, 1D and Taylor Swift thing if you look at SPIN's followers on Twitter most of them go by the name of "1D4EVA, BIEBERZWIFEY and Taytay17" so you'd can see why they get a lot of votes anyway.

But I wouldn't imagine the chart changes during the show but they do definitely update it hence preparation before the show.

RCS easily allows you to remove and replace a song if needs be. It should have been Justin Bieber and Drake - Right Here instead of Nicole Scherzinger - Right There.

But how would management control this, presenters could be putting in any of the songs they wanted into the playlist

But how would management control this, presenters could be putting in any of the songs they wanted into the playlist

If a song is removed it is logged. Selector is a part of RCS it selects the music and they are split into categories A1, B1, etc. A1 get the most plays selector as it says on the tin selects the songs and creates the playlist the music director inputs new music he/she doesn't build it from scratch.

Oh and presenting is the job, the music is the smallest part of it, as you know you don't sit there listening to every song as it plays you prepare for your next link. The music is really the last thing on their mind.

Check out the spoiler below, not sure if many of you know....
    Nikki Hayes' real name is Eimear O' Keeffe

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Say wha?! :eek:

I'm actually genuinely shocked at that. It's not a name you'd expect to be a "DJ name" like Rick O'Shea or Dusty Rhodes...

Common knowledge, Wikipedia would easily alert you to this.

You don't think Steve K is his real name either do you? Pirate days they all changed their names.

You don't think Steve K is his real name either do you? Pirate days they all changed their names.

Interesting. Never knew Nikki was a pirate (thought she was younger than that general crowd of pirates from the 80's that you'd always hear about).

Completely agree with Brian about people saying Olly Mooooors. So annoying.

• Advertisement

I don't think she was but changed her name anyway, it's still common enough more-so UK and American stations though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 panic2000

No more cool names anymore...you need to be born with a gpod radio name.lets not confuse the postman.

I'd say his first name is Steve anyway, like Andy Mac from Beat (his real name is Andy Mc Closkey).

As for wikipedia, its a djs bible.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'd say his first name is Steve anyway, like Andy Mac from Beat (his real name is Andy Mc Closkey).

Was he always Steve K on air? Andy Mac was Beat Drive with Andy McCloskey at the beginning anyway, not sure when there was a name change. Same in Cork sure with Dave Mac and Stevie G.

Yeah but Andy Mac is presumable for him considering it's only Andy Mc Closkey.

marno21 wrote: »
    Was he always Steve K on air? Andy Mac was Beat Drive with Andy McCloskey at the beginning anyway, not sure when there was a name change. Same in Cork sure with Dave Mac and Stevie G.

Yeah he's been Steve K since his early pirate days.

Brilliant stuff from Brian & Dara earlier. They were using clips from a conversation Ryan & Tracy had this morning and bleeped out bits of it to make it innuendo-ridden. Hope they put it on the podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

I haven't read back on the thread so I may be asking a stupid question but why does it matter what her real name is?

Afaik some people in radio in general had to change their names on air because when they started presenting they were also working in sales and couldn't be seen to be on air as well as in sales cos then favouritism of one company arguments start blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Brilliant stuff from Brian & Dara earlier. They were using clips from a conversation Ryan & Tracy had this morning and bleeped out bits of it to make it innuendo-ridden. Hope they put it on the podcast.

to go off topic for a second but Ray Foley on 98FM did something similar with Cheryl's Fight for this love... bleeped out Fight so it sounded like she was saying

" we gotta f*cK for this love..... if it's worth having then it's its work f*cking for.. we gotta fck f*ck f*ck for this love" was funny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

http://blog.marketing.ie/?p=12004

Well things are looking well for Spin 103.8 I guess.

Advertisement