Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GW 18 Transfers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Thanks for the replies lads.
    manual_man wrote: »
    @futureguy your attacking lineup (wc) is great. but maybe a bit too much at the expense of your defense???

The lack of clean sheets is frightening this year and I'm thinking of just playing 3 from those 5 every week and going by bookies odds. The odd assist from these players will help. Now I could drop Silva or Mata or a striker for a cheaper alternative and get in Nastasic and Sagna but I'm not sure.
    You probably have too much City, its impossible to second guess Mancini and his team selections. You could have tied up too much money on players that may not play a lot of games together.
    I have no idea which one of the city players are going to play the most games, probably up to yourself to figure out, but I would only pick him and change your other two city player to players who are going to play more games

Good point regarding the City involvement but they are there for Reading only. Either Tevez or Aguero goes right after that game which will give me two City players.

I think City need to get points on the board and that combination will start most games now that they are out of Europe. Ballotelli is done and Dzeko does best when teams are tiring.
    Fizman wrote: »
    Wow, you weren't joking! I think you'd be mad, particularly so close to the free WC window. Maybe post up your current squad to get some opinions before making a season-changing decision?

You could play the WC on Jan 1st, and if you need to make more drastic changes in Feb/Mar/April, making a big push towards the end of the season , at least you'd still have your own WC.

I kept my wildcard to take advantage of the atrocious winter we were supposed to get and the fixture madness that would ensue. I'm sitting here typing while in my t-shirt!

If I use it now, I would use the winter wildcard in GW24. I have examined the fixtures and there are no weeks where there is a massive swing in fixtures where I'd like to get rid of loads of players.

You will get a wildcard in two weeks time. Use a wildcard now and your January wildcard effectively becomes neutered. I really do not understand how you possibly could think this a good option. I bet we would then see you in March trying to justify to yourself eight point hits or something like that.

Stop knee jerking, use your free transfers to see you through the xmas period and then use the January wildcard to get a side for the rest of the season. Seriously, its only a couple of gameweeks.

Thanks for the advice, but you are presuming that I will be using my winter wildcard in gw21 when i'll actually be using it gw 24. I can set my team up then for Feb/early march and stock up on transfers.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with 8 point hits (in tandem with 2 free transfers, it's like a mini wioldcard anyways). I've taken one already along with 5 x 4-point hits and I expect to take another around gw31.

Here is the plan...

GW18 - WILDCARD for next 6 fixtures
    GW24 - WILDCARD for next 6 fixtures
    GW30/31 - 8-12 point hit + 2 free transfers to set up for end of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Took a 4 point hit last night:

Feilini and Al Habsi out

Cazorla and Bunn in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I kept my wildcard to take advantage of the atrocious winter we were supposed to get and the fixture madness that would ensue. I'm sitting here typing while in my t-shirt!

If I use it now, I would use the winter wildcard in GW24. I have examined the fixtures and there are no weeks where there is a massive swing in fixtures where I'd like to get rid of loads of players.

Ok, I just had a look at your current team. Now that I see it, I think you would be even crazier to play it (imo).

You have a very strong squad, with a lot of desirable players.

Be honest, if Fellaini was not suspended, and Man City were not at home to reading this GW, would you be entertaining the idea? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Thanks for the advice, but you are presuming that I will be using my winter wildcard in gw21 when i'll actually be using it gw 24. I can set my team up then for Feb/early march and stock up on transfers.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with 8 point hits (in tandem with 2 free transfers, it's like a mini wildcard anyways). I've taken one already along with 5 x 4-point hits and I expect to take another around gw31.

Here is the plan...

GW18 - WILDCARD for next 6 fixtures
    GW24 - WILDCARD for next 6 fixtures
    GW30/31 - 8-12 point hit + 2 free transfers to set up for end of season.

I think you are absolutely nuts to even consider wildcarding! Also your defense is extremely weak, even though the big hitters haven't been performing. You'll likely get a lot of 0's and 1's with that back line... wheres your Stoke defenders! What do you do when Fellaini gets back in 3 weeks? Save your wildcard for when you need it, you seem to be knee jerking based on the City game

In other news you are my main competitor in the Banbury League so go ahead and waste your wildcard!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Oh and there is nothing wrong with 8 point hits (in tandem with 2 free transfers, it's like a mini wioldcard anyways). I've taken one already along with 5 x 4-point hits and I expect to take another around gw31.

No, I was assuming that you would use the wildcard at any point in January, not necessarily the first week.

I really dont get it. Perhaps if your team had five/six players out long term injured and the team needed serious surgury you could justify it, but that doesnt seem to be the case, you are just changing the likes of a Suarez to a Tevez. Is that worth a wildcard?

I could see it if there was a real opportunity for points somewhere in the xmas period and you wanted to take advantage of that. But if thats the case, I'd love to hear what that opportunity is?

A wildcard is an opportunity to reposition your entire team and should be used strategically. I really believe its an unneccessary waste to use two within a matter of weeks.

great points everyone, I do appreciate them...
    Fizman wrote: »
    Ok, I just had a look at your current team. Now that I see it, I think you would be even crazier to play it (imo).

You have a very strong squad, with a lot of desirable players.

Be honest, if Fellaini was not suspended, and Man City were not at home to reading this GW, would you be entertaining the idea? :p

Honestly, I was strongly considering using it last week!

OK...I want rid of Sunderland and Stoke defenders (poor fixtures), *apparently* Mrs. Enrique is due on the 24th December, Felliani has to go, Snodgrass was a bit of a gamble for 1-2 weeks and I have no City, Chelsea or Spurs coverage! So there are my reasons...would love to hear yor opinions on that.
    roryc wrote: »
    I think you are absolutely nuts to even consider wildcarding! Also your defense is extremely weak, even though the big hitters haven't been performing. You'll likely get a lot of 0's and 1's with that back line... wheres your Stoke defenders! What do you do when Fellaini gets back in 3 weeks? Save your wildcard for when you need it, you seem to be knee jerking based on the City game

In other news you are my main competitor in the Banbury League so go ahead and waste your wildcard!!! :)

haha, thanks for the honest advice. As I said, Stokes fixtures are rubbish over the next six. I expect 1 clean sheet maximum. I can get Felliani in easily enough for 2 of my current 3 big midfielders.
    No, I was assuming that you would use the wildcard at any point in January, not necessarily the first week.

I really dont get it. Perhaps if your team had five/six players out long term injured and the team needed serious surgury you could justify it, but that doesnt seem to be the case, you are just changing the likes of a Suarez to a Tevez. Is that worth a wildcard?

I could see it if there was a real opportunity for points somewhere in the xmas period and you wanted to take advantage of that. But if thats the case, I'd love to hear what that opportunity is?

A wildcard is an opportunity to reposition your entire team and should be used strategically. I really believe its an unneccessary waste to use two within a matter of weeks.

The thing is, over the last 4 years there really hasn't been a single moment where I have said "I really wish I had my wildcard" after February. Even last year when there were loads of fixtures in GW36, I wasn't pushed.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, almost all "no's" so I'm going to really analyze the next 6 gws to see if it is an option!

I'm in a gambling mode right now so maybe I need to get a bit of fresh air!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

FWIW I think the plan makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

*apparently* Mrs. Enrique is due on the 24th December.

Mrs. Enrique Sanchez? :P

If so I'm definitely moving him. He hasn't done anything really of use to me. I was considering Shawcross, but he has a bad run coming up.

Who else would be a good replacement? Looking at a similar price range (+/-.1 or .2)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

BroLo wrote: »
    60,000 people brought in Fellaini today. Do some people not understand that he'll probably fall further, and he'll be useless until the New Year?

There are 2.5 million people playing the game - There are gonna be a percentage of idiots/first timers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Seems like a mad time to wildcard when your team hasn't any major issues, Fellaini is your only real concern,

To those who understand these things, will Fellaini drop any further this week now that he is flagged or whatever, I don't want to rush but the .1m could be very important to me. I'm strongly leaning towards bringing Mata back in, leaving Dempsey for a match and getting Bale back in next gameweek.

Seems like a mad time to wildcard when your team hasn't any major issues, Fellaini is your only real concern,

To those who understand these things, will Fellaini drop any further this week now that he is flagged or whatever, I don't want to rush but the .1m could be very important to me. I'm strongly leaning towards bringing Mata back in, leaving Dempsey for a match and getting Bale back in next gameweek.

FLAGGING & PROTECTION OF PLAYERS

Q: Flagging & Protection of Players? Explain away….
    A: When a player is either injured, doubtful, suspended or ineligible then the (i) next to their name on FPL will be flagged red or yellow.

Q: Does this mean the player is protected from any price drop?
    A: NO – absolutely not and this is a major mistake many people make. Anyone who is flagged will still be able to increase and decrease in value. The increase NTI target stays the same. However the NTO Threshold for a price drop is approximately 2.5 times greater than the usual Threshold for price drops.

Q: Why is that?
    A: The general thinking here is that when a player is injured or suspended, naturally a lot of people will want to sell that player. In order to ensure their price doesn’t fall dramatically, the Threshold is increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I already made my transfers for the next GW (I know you should never do it so early). But I put in Torres for Defoe and Zabaleta for Enrique. Now with Fellaini injured I am wondering if I should take a -4 hit or should I just bench him? Also do ye guys think Bale will play, he is on my bench at the moment too but if ye think he will play I'll deffo start him.

keane2097 wrote: »

Me too :p

chops018 wrote: »
    I already made my transfers for the next GW (I know you should never do it so early). But I put in Torres for Defoe and Zabaleta for Enrique. Now with Fellaini injured I am wondering if I should take a -4 hit or should I just bench him? Also do ye guys think Bale will play, he is on my bench at the moment too but if ye think he will play I'll deffo start him.

Fellaini isn't injured he's suspended for three matches. I would get him out if you can, his price is going to fall for that period.

Bale will more than likely play this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭amber69

chops018 wrote: »
    Start him if he plays it'll be from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

BroLo wrote: »
    Fellaini isn't injured he's suspended for three matches. I would get him out if you can, his price is going to fall for that period.

Bale will more than likely play this weekend.

My bad I meant to say suspended. I'm not a fan of taking more than a -4 hit and I don't even like doing that. Switching him to third sub for the 3 games might be an option? I rarely if ever use the third sub so I could just leave him there. I also wanted to use my FT next week to bring in a keeper for Ruddy, so that takes away from moving Fellaini out next week and sure he will be back the week after that. Begovic has be my keeper since the start but I'd prefer to stick someone else in whilst he has his tough fixtures and Ruddy is injured too so I need to get him out anyway. Who would ye recommened keeper wise with 4.7 to spend, I was looking at Guzan or Rob Green?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,187 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

keane2097 wrote: »

this.

i think it's a fine plan. it could obviously go wrong if City don't do what we expect them to do, but it is a calculated risk.

everyone's at risk of rotation, but i think you have enough big hitters where you should get at least a decent points haul most GWs over Christmas even if players are rest...unless you're extremely unfortunate.

i wouldn't push you to do the WC, because i think it's a slightly unnecessary risk, but your plan does make sense and could reap great rewards. the risk is also lowered by the fact you can strip the team quite quickly in January if need be.

so, i wouldn't do it, but i can see exactly why it's tempting.

SlickRic wrote: »
    this.

i think it's a fine plan. it could obviously go wrong if City don't do what we expect them to do, but it is a calculated risk.

everyone's at risk of rotation, but i think you have enough big hitters where you should get at least a decent points haul most GWs over Christmas even if players are rest...unless you're extremely unfortunate.

i wouldn't push you to do the WC, because i think it's a slightly unnecessary risk, but your plan does make sense and could reap great rewards. the risk is also lowered by the fact you can strip the team quite quickly in January if need be.

so, i wouldn't do it, but i can see exactly why it's tempting.

It is most certainly a calculated risk. It coud blow up in my face as City struggle to a 2-1 victory and yaya could score a goal and assist. Suarez might get a hattrick.

Or Reading could do what they have been doing all season and ship a ton of goals and Silva, Tevez and Aguero could all hit double figures.

I just realised that I'm flying out of the country and might be without internet access for the Friday and Saturday, so I would have to do it today or tomorrow. Pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The risk is pretty small, as your wildcard becomes less and less valuable the longer you leave it before playing it.

Come March teams will all be extremely similar (with good reason) and even if you somehow manage to hit upon a great line-up that will rack you up the points while still having enough of a differential for you to gain on your rivals you've only done so when there are 10 GWs left instead of when there are 20, thereby limiting its usefulness.

It's Wildcard Worship plain and simple and it's bad for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

@fg what about a double transfer instead of wc. something like Suarez or Rooney to Tevez or Aguero, and Fellaini to Silva. Might be -4 but you'll have a huge advantage over some rivals later on, and you'd be pretty well covered for the Reading match

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've kept Tevez after contemplating selling him on but I have this horrible feeling Mancini is going to go with Dzeko instead. He's not comfortable with Tevez and Aguero defending set pieces due to their height and with this Reading's best weapon, I reckon Tevez will start on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lads I'm strongly considering wilcarding today and here is a possible draft...please give as many answers as possible...yes or no - along with some reasoning...

Clearly this is set up to make the most of upcoming fixtures (especially City vs Reading) and can take rotation pretty well...

Id go with it you should score big this week and be well set up going forward. You would have the ideal front 3 for this week and if i was wildcarding I would do something very similar. Id probably have walcott over santi though and if you could get the funds cech in goal. Turner norwich also a decent budget defender. Im looking at the same front 3 as you who would you pick capt out of them 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Fritzl Funderland

i know this doesnt apply to GW 18 but decided to put it up http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20772223

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

i know this doesnt apply to GW 18 but decided to put it up http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20772223

I was hoping to wait for definite news on this but with Fellaini plummeting, I had to pull the trigger: Afro to Walcott. If Arsenal lose their game, I'll just have to switch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Don't ask me how but I forgot all about Fellaini's three match ban when I made my transfer last night.. Is it worth taking a point hit to get him out now?

Jussi / Begovic
    Demel-Clyne-Shawcross-Gibbs-McAuley
    Mata - Sterling - Michu - Cazorla - Fellaini
    RVP - Suarez - Berbatov

Don't ask me how but I forgot all about Fellaini's three match ban when I made my transfer last night.. Is it worth taking a point hit to get him out now?

Jussi / Begovic
    RVP - Suarez - Berbatov

Well keep in mind there's talk that Sterling might be rested in the coming games as well if Rodgers' recent comments are anything to go by. You could just leave it. Up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bazwin

is the Arsenal game going ahead on Boxing Day !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭amber69

Jussi / Begovic
    RVP - Suarez - Berbatov
    Depends what you'll get for him. If u have him from the start I'd hang on to him, your team total price could be very important come wildcard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

You're also going to struggle to field a team on boxing day should the tube strike go ahead. That was the final straw for me.

Advertisement