Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Years ago, It was just me and my dad at home one night, I said I'm off to bed and went up to my room and switched on the light then went into the bathroom, when I came back into my room the light was off and I thought ah the bulb is wasted, when I checked there was no fing bulb!! I nearly crapped myself and ran downstairs and got the old man to go up and check with me, I found it under the bed. Still spooked by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Sometimes the receiver end is damaged and the bulb is loose. Could it have fallen out and rolled under the bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

it is known for lightbulbs to pop out if they're not fitted properly in the first place

Story from the radio today. This man had an elderly neighbour who hoarded newspapers and as a consequence they piled up in the house over 30 years. He used to help her with chores and when his neighbour passed away was asked to help move contents and the newspapers out. He was near the end of the clear out when he thought about having a read of one of the older newspapers in a pile. He tried to pull one out of the bottom of the stack but the weight was too great and pulled one out from the middle. The date was after his father' death and looking at the death notices read his fathers death notice from 30 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Bought a blood pressure monitor and the first reading was so high it advised to go to hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

One of my former teachers appeared in my dream early yesterday morning, and hours later, I found out online that he had passed away!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Years ago walking along James Joyce St. It was raining and I wandered under the canopy at a few shops across the road to avoid the rain but just as I was walking across I mysteriously walked back into the rain and low and behold a pane of glass fell three stories up where I would have been. I think the mind has the ability to process dangers subconsciously , maybe from our evolutionary days whence we had to be aware of dangers around us!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I have given up being shocked at the coincidences that happen constantly. Examples of this in the last couple of days:

My cousin broke up with her long term boyfriend out of the blue. I was in the back of the car with my aunt and uncle in the front. My aunt asked me what I think happened. I replied ‘he was constantly going on about politics and how the west was attacking humanity, wouldn’t surprise me if he went and joined the French foreign legion and fought the good fight In Syria’. Silence for about 5 seconds as my aunt processed this and then the computer on the dash(connected to her phone) started flashing with a call coming through. Plain as day the call was +963…google quickly showed from Fcucking Syria.

Then today was at my uncles funeral. Was getting a lift back from my relations to Dun Laoghaire. Before we left, we went to the Protestant graveyard in Leixlip where their aunts (who were catholic were buried). I had just been reading about ‘taking the soup during the famine’ the day before and was telling them. We went around the corner and both stopped abruptly, pointing to a table outside the shop. A bit confused I hadn’t a clue what was happening until I read the sign sellotaped to the table ‘please donate to the soup kitchens’

Honestly things like that happen on at least a bi weekly basis. I get a thought and say it e.g you are going to get a call from x or y is going to happen.

• Advertisement

This story anyone seen anythnig similar?

'In July of 1878 the residents of the seaside town of Ballycotton, Co. Cork witnessed something astounding. They gathered on the shore and gazed in wonder at a new island that had suddenly appeared off the coast. They claimed to be able to see various features on the island such as woodlands, mountains and valleys. Several fisherman took to their boats to explore this mysterious island but as they approached the island faded into thin air. '

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Could that have been some sort of ‘Fata Morgana’? There was a similar sounding event in Canada sometime in the 1800’s, called the Rochester Mirage.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yeah possibly, the weather has to be just right for it to happen.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Not sure it's creepy, or unnerving, but it's a strange coincidence.

Was in a bar with a friend recently who informed me that an acquaintance of ours had died a few days previous. I wasn't close to the man, but he was easy conversation any time we did meet, we'd a shared love of music. He was a good guy. I said, "he was big into his 80s Scottish music. He liked Deacon Blue, the Waterboys, the Bluebells... and actually he was going on one night about how Aztec Camera were one of his favourites".

My friend said, "never heard of them, what do they sing?"

"I only know one song by them, 'Somewhere in My Heart', haven't heard it in ages"

within split seconds of the words being out of my mouth that song came on in the pub.

A survey indicated that Cork is the most haunted place in Ireland. More claim to have seen a ghost there than any other county. It is also the most haunted pub 'Franscian Well'

'Doors opening and closing, as if by themselves, was one of the first occurrences. Footsteps in the night and the intense presence of cold and hot temperatures came, as if from nowhere. Objects would move freely.'

Spirits of the dead?

I was stoned at the time

Was your brother stoned?

‘taking the soup during the famine’

Is that what they called "bowls for souls" or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souperism

A male friend of mine once had a man come up to him in the street and ask some everyday question i forget what it was, maybe asking for directions. My friend felt very uncomfortable with this man and felt it was a cover for a sexual come on. But he answered the question and the man went on his way.

Afterwards my friend found out the man had been in some institution and was subjected to serious sexual abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

One morning last week when I woke up a picture on my bedroom wall was turned sideways. I hadn't gone near it since the last time I dusted it about a year ago. It is high up on the wall so in the unlikely event I was sleepwalking I'm not tall enough to brush my head against it.

The following evening I was upstairs getting ready to go out and I heard a bang downstairs. A picture in the hall had come off the wall and was on the floor. The fixture on the wall was still intact, the ring on the back of the picture was still intact and the glass in the picture didn't break despite falling a distance onto the tiled floor.

There have been no more moving pictures since but I'm wondering all the same what that was all about...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

No, one is just a splash of colours and the other is of flowers. I had read before that a picture falling is an omen of impending death and would have been rattled if either picture was a portrait of somebody!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

We had an occurrence of a picture falling from the wall back in 1991 when my aunts husband died. It was in my sisters bedroom which was my parents bedroom at that stage. Picture just fell off the wall and landed upright against the wall....not what you would expect really. Chord or glass in the picture did not break. it had not being interfered with in any regard for some time before it fell and no vibration from building works etc. in the house in the days if not many weeks beforehand. The steel nail on which its hung is still solid in the wall to this day. Picture was a tapestry of a castle in our local town.... a town many miles from my aunts husband and not a town he would ever had any real connection with.

We didn't have the phone in at the time and a neighbour who had it in brought down the bad news to us later on that evening. We worked out that the picture had fell off the wall roughly around the same time that my aunts husband would have passed.

In these situations I would always seek out the logical and rational explanation for the occurrence first before jumping to the conclusion that something more sinister had happened but I just could not find a logical explanation in this case.

Apologies, I actually posted these same story before on the thread. Just reposting in light of the current conversation.

Sorry a bit ot but I heard of a house said to be haunted to the extent the people closed it up and built an identical house a few hundred yards away on the same land. It's very vague though. the person who told me knows someone who knew someone... Still if they went to the length of building another house they must be convinced

Seeing the time of year for spooky stuff is here has anyone have any stories about haunted houses? Just to inspire..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When I was new out here on the island with no street or other lighting the total blackness took a lot of getting used to.

One night I walked partway down the drive just to try and was suddenly strongly aware of a physical presence very close to me... Breathing near my ear! Heavy breathing...

I froze... deep breath,,,, reached out carefully.... to enounter a loooooong face and long ears... A near neighbour used to let his pony and donkey wander.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Absolutely spirits of the dead - and very unhappy spirits who cannot rest. There are folk who can help them settle

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

You know that inhalation sound you hear sometimes in a quiet room right before somebody sitting close to you is about to speak? Not much of a story but it really creeped me out at the time. I checked into an airbnb in Paris for a couple of days, a loft right at the top of one of those old townhouses. Went to a conference, had a meal and a few drinks, then went back to the place. It was dead quiet, a small street off rue Etienne Marcel and it was after midnight. I was going through some emails in bed before nodding off, and I heard that sounds, a short sharp inhalation, like it was somebody sitting next to me was about to break the silence and tell me something. I remember clearly registering the sound, but I didn't react for about a minute because I didn't know what to even begin thinking of it.

I got up and looked out the windows, wondering if there was anybody outside on a balcony or something even though I knew the sound couldn't possibly have carried that far and so clearly. I also knew there were no other rooms on the floor, it was a weird kind of narrow set of steps above the main staircase to get into this apartment. I definitely heard it and I had no way of rationally explaining it. I watched videos on youtube half the night, genuinely feeling uncomfortable being in the place as if there was somebody else in the room with me, but I did eventually nod off. I didn't hear anything the rest of the time I was there but remember I had wicked nightmares both nights. Thought about mentioning it to the host but I didn't really know what exactly I'd even tell him. Still think about it the odd time, I can still hear it in my head as clearly as I did that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Butson

A friend of mine. She lost her child about 10 years ago.

Obviously has never gotten over it and its particularly tough around the anniversary. She was living abroad when this happened, back in Ireland now.

Last year, on the anniversary, she was at work (in a restaurant) and was finding it very tough. Went out the back for a cigarette. Out of nowhere a man appeared (you have to walk through the kitchen to get out the back). He just walked over and told her not to worry that her boy was ok.

She was in total shock but a really calm feeling came over her. He walked straight back into the kitchen. She followed in then, no sign of him. She asked the two chefs that were in the kitchen who the man was that walked in and out, didn't know what she was talking about. Asked reception to check the CCTV, nothing.

At first it totally freaked her out, but looking back now she is glad it happened.

Advertisement