Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There's a programme I saw recently enough on the RTÉ Player, it's called "Into the Mystic" - https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/into-the-mystic/116449320226 If I'm not mistaken in one of the episodes they were talking about a book, that could possibly be it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Fryup, no need for that

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ozzers1989

New Home wrote: »
    There's a programme I saw recently enough on the RTÉ Player, it's called "Into the Mystic" - https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/into-the-mystic/116449320226 If I'm not mistaken in one of the episodes they were talking about a book, that could possibly be it.

Either way, the programme looks great thank you x

ozzers1989 wrote: »
    Hey all.

I didn't really know where to post this so please remove if it's inappropriate.

In the late 90s/early 00s I read a book that contained stories about the Banshee and fairies.

- the book was first person accounts compiled by a male author

- it had lots of people's stories about Banshee experiences and fairy experiences

- it was and A5 book and there were no illustrations

- the author began the book by saying something like "what surprised me about collecting these stories was how normal all of the people were"

- it was NOT a book of myths and legends it was a collection of first person experiences

- it was not the St John Seymour book

- I don't believe it was an Eddie Lenihan book

- there was a story about a truck driver witnessing a fairy funeral procession

- there was a Banshee story about a person hearing the screams of the Banshee and being physically unable to leave the house to check like there was a forcefield stopping them

If there is a more appropriate place for this question, please let me know. If you know what I'm rambling about I would be forever in your debt.

The book is Paranormal Ireland: A journey into the other side of Irish Life by Dara DeFaoite if anyone's interested!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

How did you find it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tamara25

Thanks a mil for putting up the name of that book, just after downloading it on my kindle

New Home wrote: »
    How did you find it?

I posted on my Instagram story looking for it and someone responded with it! Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭passatman86

A story i heard from someone
    Apparently a house in south Dublin had some strange goings on. Not 100% on the details but was meant to be haunted. The family reached out for help and the local priest offered to stay alone the night at the house to see whats happening. Next morning the priest came out from the house and his hair had turned snow white - he refused to discuss with anyone what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^

he bleached his hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,848 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That last story sounds real Slim Shady

• Advertisement

Apparently a house in south Dublin had some strange goings on. Not 100% on the details but was meant to be haunted. The family reached out for help and the local priest offered to stay alone the night at the house to see whats happening.

and where in South Dublin is it? is it a well known haunting locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Apparently a house in south Dublin had some strange goings on. Not 100% on the details but was meant to be haunted. The family reached out for help and the local priest offered to stay alone the night at the house to see whats happening. Next morning the priest came out from the house and his hair had turned snow white - he refused to discuss with anyone what happened.

..so what genuinely creepy or unnerving thing has ever happened to you?

Turned his hair Snow White? I dread to think what he did to the 7 dwarves. Dirty fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Turned his hair Snow White? I dread to think what he did to the 7 dwarves. Dirty fecker.

Spooky! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭passatman86

I was told the story about 20 years ago and the person has passed away who told me. As best i can remember it was near Newlands cross going back a good while now.
    And yes i have had a genuinely creepy and unnerving experience - a family member passed away and i felt it before i received the news

for me i might think of a relative or acquaintance for a fleeting moment...and a few days later i hear that they've died:o

I just went outside for a smoke and there was a continuous line of small 'stars' travelling in a straight line from west to east, loads of them, never seen anything like it before, am I drunk or did anyone else see them?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I just went outside for a smoke and there was a continuous line of small 'stars' travelling in a straight line from west to east, loads of them, never seen anything like it before, am I drunk or did anyone else see them?
    Possibly was Starlink chain of satellites for broadband purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

He went down to the sitting room in the middle of the night. When he opened the door he heard "Tea Father" and Ms Doyle was standing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Hi. Shame you feel the need to deride my creepy and unnerving event with Bluetooth but my experience was absolutely as described. I'm still not sure what caused it, but if life has taught me anything it is that we are constantly in the midst of malevolent and wretched entities (demons) who live in extra-dimensional space and time. I believe my bluetooth signal provided a window into one of those worlds.
    Only reading this now, was it by any chance an Apple device? I've heard a very strange track which they've played if they were offline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I heard this story years ago when I was a child and that it happened somewhere in Kildare.

^^^^^^^^^^

i bet everyone heard their own county version of that tale

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Was listening to an episode of the Tommy Tiernan podcast early in the week where they were discussing older people that lived alone in your community when your were growing up. They would generally be from a rural area, still living in an old-fashioned house, would have a distinctive smell and lead a very hermetic life.

It immediately sprang to mind a fella just like that who used to work for my late grandfather and later became great friends. They even ended up in the same nursing home, and were as thick as thieves right up until my grandfather passed away.

I hadn't thought about this elderly bachelor for a long time. Earlier today then, my dad said he was going to stand outside a church for a funeral out west tomorrow morning- the same fella had died on the same day I randomly remembered him. My dad also was called to mind about him too during the week.

Strange coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭john123470

I was living in Osaka when my father died in Ireland. I was doing heavy physical work at the time for a Korean company based in Kyoto.
    I used to hit the sack exhausted every evening.

One night - i was woken by 3 tremenduous knocks on the bedroom door. I lived alone in a 3 storey bldg. There was just the Korean Company office mid floor and another empty aprmnt on the ground floor.
    So, i woke up terrified.
    I wrenched open the door .. nobody there.

Next evening, when i returned from work, the Korean secretary roared upstairs from the office beneath -
    "John-san, your father is dead.." She had received a phone call from my family earlier to inform me

I checked the times later and the time of Dad's passing and the knocking were in sync.

It could of course be coincidence but I have heard about souls passing and 'knocking' somewhere previously

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

john123470 wrote: »
    I was living in Osaka when my father died in Ireland. I was doing heavy physical work at the time for a Korean company based in Kyoto.
    I used to hit the sack exhausted every evening.

One night - i was woken by 3 tremenduous knocks on the bedroom door. I lived alone in a 3 storey bldg. There was just the Korean Company office mid floor and another empty aprmnt on the ground floor.
    So, i woke up terrified.
    I wrenched open the door .. nobody there.

Next evening, when i returned from work, the Korean secretary roared upstairs from the office beneath -
    "John-san, your father is dead.." She had received a phone call from my family earlier to inform me

I checked the times later and the time of Dad's passing and the knocking were in sync.

It could of course be coincidence but I have heard about souls passing and 'knocking' somewhere previously

Thank you for sharing this . I believe it’s called a death knock .

Great resource in folklore about this is to be found here
    https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4498605/4385166/4509519

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing this . I believe it’s called a death knock .

Great resource in folklore about this is to be found here
    https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4498605/4385166/4509519

Thanks for the heads up

I remember that the knocks were very insistent and aggressive and wondered why I could not have had a gentler farewell .. if thats what it was ..

No accounting for the psyche

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Thanks for the heads up

I remember that the knocks were very insistent and aggressive and wondered why I could not have had a gentler farewell .. if thats what it was ..

No accounting for the psyche

The earlier 'gentle' knocks went unheeded!

saabsaab wrote: »
    The earlier 'gentle' knocks went unheeded!

Just as well I didn't leave the door open !
    Whoever was knockin meant business

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Sorry about your father. That was more than a little shitty of her. She didn't have much empathy. That must have felt very harsh on your own so far away. :(

• Advertisement

Sorry about your father. That was more than a little shitty of her. She didn't have much empathy. That must have felt very harsh on your own so far away. :(

Thank you.

A very different culture. I guess she felt awkward

Advertisement