Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not if you don't go near the mini-bar. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

New Home wrote: »
    Not if you don't go near the mini-bar. :D

Beware the evil spirits!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Like WicKeD?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Been mulling this over since it happened and little nearer understanding. One to just accept a wise friend who was not surprised tells me.

A couple or three weeks ago, early afternoon, I was gardening. Suddenly the church bell rang several times.

It has a very distinctive tone.

The church is very firmly locked; covid rules.

My mobility most days is insufficient to go see. And I was frankly freaked as i knew it was locked.
    But of course rationally thought it was someone messing about

I called a neighbour, Who opined it was coming not from here but in a couple of other places - far too far away to be possible NB he was off island. ( only about half a mile away or less) It was our church bell. Period.

I emailed another neighbour who refused point blank to check. He of course knew the church is securely locked. Also he averred that if is were supernatural ( which had not then even occurred to me in my search for rationality and in concern for the safety of the church) then he was not going to interfere.

Slept badly and at first light ( I have a key to the side door) managed to trek there. It is certainly well locked and the side door double -locked from the inside so no entry.

So I remain at a loss. I am not given to hearing things. Waiting and watching. I did make contact with a couple of folk re the church without mentioning it eg when is it going to be open for private prayer which was my usual reason for being there before illness increased too much.

My faith is my life and very practical too. So all I can do is wait and watch. There is a reason.

It was decidedly unnerving. And it was very real.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

strong wind through the belfry?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    strong wind through the belfry?

lol... it was flat calm, and if that were the case it would have been ringing all last week with the gales...

There is no rational explanation and I am just waiting and watching now. Fascinated.

Graces7 wrote: »
    lol... it was flat calm,

ok it was only a suggestion:( no need to scoff at me (;))

ok it was only a suggestion:( no need to scoff at me (;))

Hey I was not scoffing! I was wry at the suggestion as so many similar ideas occurred to me at the time and later!

Sorry if it came across that way . Laughing at myself actually for trying to rationalise it; which was why I made the phone calls.. really thought there must be a rational explanation.

Yours never occurred to me though so well done!

Hey I was not scoffing! I was wry at the suggestion as so many similar ideas occurred to me at the time and later!

Sorry if it came across that way .

no need to apologise, did you not notice the "wink"

anyway where abouts in the country is this church? is there a history behind it? built on a battlefield or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I wouldn't be too alarmed by this... Just because the church is currently closed to the public doesn't mean staff can't have access. Maybe they just had someone in doing maintenance/repairs to the bells or whatever!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be too alarmed by this... Just because the church is currently closed to the public doesn't mean staff can't have access. Maybe they just had someone in doing maintenance/repairs to the bells or whatever!

No , There was no one there; period. Small church small island. I spoke to the keyholder/caretaker and that was affirmed.
    No other " staff" etc.
    Until recently I have been cleaning and taking care of it and will again when covid is over /restrictions eased enough.

A single bell.

Not alarmed; Tranquil about it now and watching and waiting. It was no human hand and no weather phenomenon. It was disconcerting at first as I thought someone was in there doing damage.

I am not alarmed; but intrigued. And fascinated. God;s House after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A nice intriguing little mystery. Well told, @Graces7!

When is the Saint's Day of the church Patron? (I mean, eg, like St Brigid = 1st Feb, or anything like that)

Could be people breaking in messing about or something. Our local church has had a good few bouts of breakages and graffiti the past while with them constantly being closed.

yes, local kids acting the maggot?

re: the belfry could birds fly in there? how heavy are the bells/bell? is it one bell?

Day Lewin wrote: »

When is the Saint's Day of the church Patron? (I mean, eg, like St Brigid = 1st Feb, or anything like that)

Quite odd. I wonder could something have struck the bell? Is it visible from outside? Say a stone or a bearing from a slingshot?

Day Lewin wrote: »

Holy Trinity... But this IS Lent. It was clearly meant for me.

Could be people breaking in messing about or something. Our local church has had a good few bouts of breakages and graffiti the past while with them constantly being closed.

Sorry that that happens. Small offshore island s small population and we all know each other.. and we always know who is here as they have to get the ferry. Then walk.. No one can come over because of covid. And the caretaker knew that. And no break in.

yes, local kids acting the maggot?

re: the belfry could birds fly in there? how heavy are the bells/bell? is it one bell?

No kids either... One bell and well protected. Seven peals then silence!!! I can tell you I was freaked out!

What a wonderfully ingenious group we have here!

I had never thought of many of these things.

But thank you as none of the ideas apply out here.

We are covid sequestered and hardly any ferries run any more, and a small island population of mostly elderly folk. We always know exactly who is out here. As the key holder did; no one. I hoped at first it was someone fooling around but when I went there the following day. Fort Knox. No one was in or had been in.

And thank you that I remain more and more sure it was supernatural. And had meaning for me.

Easter soon! :D

What a wonderfully ingenious group we have here!

I had never thought of many of these things.

But thank you as none of the ideas apply out here.

We are covid sequestered and hardly any ferries run any more, and a small island population of mostly elderly folk. We always know exactly who is out here. As the key holder did; no one. I hoped at first it was someone fooling around but when I went there the following day. Fort Knox. No one was in or had been in.

And thank you that I remain more and more sure it was supernatural. And had meaning for me.

Easter soon! :D

There is a phrase to knock 7 bells out of someone!

• Advertisement

so where are you from Graces7 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

so where are you Graces7 ?

I guess the sitting room

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

No kids either... One bell and well protected. Seven peals then silence!!! I can tell you I was freaked out!

Why were you freaked out if it was in a place of worship Grace, that's a really cool experience, thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Just found out Ronald De Feo died a couple of days ago.

So do you think Amityville, is real or a hoax.

Steve012 wrote: »
    Why were you freaked out if it was in a place of worship Grace, that's a really cool experience, thanks for sharing!

Well, divine intervention so directly is scary at first. eg every time eg the shepherds and others saw an angel,? " They were sore afraid. "

And I tried to rationalise it; that is how we cope! Trying to find an explanation.

You folk here have helped so much. Tranquil about it now. Getting ready for Easter now..holiest time of the year..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Would you ever stop with it having meaning for you!

I was sure someone would have quoted this by now.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main…. Any man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in mankind. Any therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Would you ever stop with it having meaning for you!

I was sure someone would have quoted this by now.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main…. Any man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in mankind. Any therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

That is something totally different.

The words you quote refer directly to the "passing bell" that was and still sometimes still is, rung when a person dies; one stroke for each year they lived. .

So someone would hear the bell and ask !" Who is this tolling for "? In the days before RIP, radio etc this was how they informed folk of a local death. Nothing to do with this. I last heard than in Kinsale a few years ago. we all stopped what we were doing and asked " who is that tolling for?" and were told who it was for. That man lived well over 70. Deeply moving hearing his years counted out one by one. A time to reflect

And of course rung by visible human hands at the monastery there.

In that sense as we all die it is for all of us. so we are all indeed a part of humanity.The passing bell wiil ring for all of us; or would if that tradition were still widely practised.

Thankfully no child of seven died here of late - and no one else heard the bell. And no human hand rang it.

And expert advice has been sought on this now at a high level. . examination. Affirmations. and explanations . What we call discernment at a high professional level to avoid errors of interpretation.

Be at peace please. makes me sad to hear you so upset. all is well. It really is

Offline a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

That is something totally different.

The words you quote refer directly to the "passing bell" that was and still sometimes still is, rung when a person dies; one stroke for each year they lived. .

So someone would hear the bell and ask !" Who is this tolling for "? In the days before RIP, radio etc this was how they informed folk of a local death. Nothing to do with this. I last heard than in Kinsale a few years ago. we all stopped what we were doing and asked " who is that tolling for?" and were told who it was for. That man lived well over 70. Deeply moving hearing his years counted out one by one. A time to reflect

And of course rung by visible human hands at the monastery there.

In that sense as we all die it is for all of us. so we are all indeed a part of humanity.The passing bell wiil ring for all of us; or would if that tradition were still widely practised.

Thankfully no child of seven died here of late - and no one else heard the bell. And no human hand rang it.

And expert advice has been sought on this now at a high level. . examination. Affirmations. and explanations . What we call discernment at a high professional level to avoid errors of interpretation.

Be at peace please. makes me sad to hear you so upset. all is well. It really is

Offline a while now.

I'm not upset, Graces, I was joking with the play on words, and I am indeed sorry if I upset you.

I'm curious as to from who you have sought the expert advice? Also I would appreciate it if you elaborated on what you mean by examination, affirmations and explanations and what high professional level. It all sounds very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

dubstarr wrote: »
    Just found out Ronald De Feo died a couple of days ago.

So do you think Amityville, is real or a hoax.

I’ve been to that house ——

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

doughef wrote: »
    I’ve been to that house ——

You can't leave it like that.
    Come on,spill ( pretty please with a cherry 💠on top)

Advertisement