Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

dubstarr wrote: »
    You can't leave it like that.
    Come on,spill ( pretty please with a cherry 💠on top)

Sorry ! That’s all I have . The house is in Amityville in Long Island New York.
    It’s just a normal town.

I went to see it because of the story behind it.
    Bizarrely - when I was there it was Halloween so it was decked out with spooky ghosts and stuff 😂😂😂.
    One of my friends went to school with a girl that lived in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it as creepy looking as in the movie?

fryup wrote: »
    is it as creepy looking as in the movie?

Yes !!! Hasn’t changed a bit . And what’s really creepy is that the street is just so normal and then there it is !!

Bizarrely when I was there it had Halloween decorations which was strange .

In the photo attached the blue blob is not a ghost , merely an attempt to disguise myself.

doughef wrote: »
    In the photo attached the blue blob is not a ghost , merely an attempt to disguise myself.

are you that scary looking??

are you that scary looking??

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Dusty Fogg wrote: »
    In 2010, my wife and I did one of the ghost walks in Edinburgh that took in Greyfriars Church and Graveyard. As someone who has an interest, albeit a sceptical one, in the paranormal I found it very enjoyable and entertaining.

One part of the graveyard, MacKenzie's Mausoleum, is the alleged centre of a lot of poltergeist activity.

George Mackenzie was a lawyer and the Lord Advocate during the rule of Charles II and earned a reputation as one of the most vicious persecutors of the Covenanters, the people who rose up and signed the National Covenant in 1638. Mackenzie’s brutal treatment of the protesters earned him the moniker “Bluidy Mackenzie.” He imprisoned many Covenanters in a section of Greyfriars Kirkyard, where he delighted in their torture and eventually, their heads would decorate the spiked gate.

Our guide informed us that over the years many people had fallen victim to attacks by the McKenzie poltergeist and suffered unexplained scratches, welts, bruises, bites etc. Most people have no recollection of having received these injuries at the time. In the little shop on the grounds they had a book of photographs of injuries that people had sustained and had sent back. You can also see a lot of these online.

When the tour finished we had dinner, drinks etc. When we got back to our hotel, I was getting ready for bed and noticed three long parallel scratches on my left forearm. They ran from the crook of my arm to the top of my wrist. They were an angry red but were not sore and you certainly would have remembered getting them. I was bemused more than freaked out. I have absolutely no clue as to how I got them. Was it a supernatural entity of a case of pscyhosomatic hysteria? I have no idea but I would love to revisit Greyfriars again to investigate further.
    Funny, had the sane experience when we visited Edinburgh a few years ago, did the ghost tour, visited the mausoleum, had no experience there. Afterwards went for dinner, drinks and back to the hotel, middle of the night was woken up by what felt like someone's hands around my neck and a malevolent spirit with a twisted angry face, was pretty freaky experience so looked it up and saw about all the experiences people had after they leave the tour!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I want to do this tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

Many nights I feel my bed shaking as if being rocked by little hands, very difficult to ignore it once you become aware of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Think I've heard the Maldron Hotel in Cork mentioned a few times, probably on this thread. Wasn't it a former convent or hospital or something.

Clayton in Sligo (formerly the Clarion) is in the old asylum. The present-day psychiatric hospital is still just over the fence from it.

Popular enough as a wedding venue - never understood wanting your wedding pictures in front of a building that housed so much misery over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Many nights I feel my bed shaking as if being rocked by little hands, very difficult to ignore it once you become aware of it

Maybe it's your partner wankin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Graces7 wrote: »
    Well, divine intervention so directly is scary at first. eg every time eg the shepherds and others saw an angel,? " They were sore afraid. "

And I tried to rationalise it; that is how we cope! Trying to find an explanation.

You folk here have helped so much. Tranquil about it now. Getting ready for Easter now..holiest time of the year..

The shepherds yes were sh*tting themselves, reason : Angels don't look like they do in paintings. It describes them in the old testament "They looked MAD apparently loads of eyes etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

One night last December I was awoken one night by a shuffling sound in the bedroom which indicated that someone was progressing from the door over to my wife's side of the bed. I briefly thought that I would feign sleep (I wouldn't be the first person to do something like this!!) and let my wife deal with whichever one of our girls had come in looking for attention but guilt got the better of me so I decided that I would deal with it.

I sat up in the bed and focussed on where the noise was coming from. There is always low level light in the room from a combination of a bedside clock and a hallway light as we always leave the door slightly ajar. I could see what was probably either our middle (age 9) or youngest daughter (age 7) at the foot of the bed and that this figure had now stopped and was looking straight at me, really intently.

I didn't want to wake my wife so gestured with my hand and jerked my head to indicate that they should come over to my side of the bed. The figure turned hurriedly to start coming around to my side..... and then vanished!! :eek:

I decided to go and check on all the girls just to make sure they were all ok and, sure enough, all were sound asleep in their own rooms.

I got back into bed and started trying to figure it out. Two days previously I had attended a small gathering to commemorate a grand aunt that was killed during the War of Independence 100 years previously, an entirely innocent victim of the conflict. I lay there thinking that the next day was going to be exactly 100 years since the day she died but that didn't quite explain the young girl that I saw.

However, my grand aunt had a 4 year old daughter at the time of her death and this made the situation all the more poignant. Her father married again but the girl herself died almost exactly 2 years (just one day shy of 2 years) after her mother. As I lay there I realised that it was the 98th anniversary of my young cousin's death ..........

I had been in her house as part of the commemoration for her mother two days previously. While the day was all about her mother she hadn't been forgotten as she was mentioned a number of times that day. Sadly, though, while we know where her mother is buried, we haven't been able to locate the girl's burial place.

So, did her spirit come back with me from her old house? Her mother was cruelly taken from her so was she searching out a mother figure in the person of my wife?

I hope she is at peace.

The search for her burial place continues.

This is related to my previous post above.

About 20 years ago I was involved in the implementation of a new system which involved work in various offices in a number of different towns. Due to the nature of the work (new computer network) it was easier to carry out some of the work outside normal office hours when the offices were unoccupied.

I was in one of those offices one Saturday afternoon in May. It was a lovely summer's day, bright and sunny. It was a former workhouse which had been converted for office use. I was the only one there when I heard what sounded like a door opening downstairs, then closing and some sound of movement.

I wasn't expecting anyone else. I called out "Hello" as I didn't want to startle whoever it might be if they came upstairs and suddenly encountered me. There was no response and I started to feel somewhat uneasy. I finished up as quick as I could and got out of there.

Last year I was doing some research on my grand aunt who had been killed during the War of Independence in 1920 in that same town, an innocent victim of the conflict.

It turns out that she died from her wounds in that workhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Not mine but a story I was told several years ago.

'His relation had died after living alone in his house for several years somewhere in the south of Ireland. He came for the funeral with his three brothers (no sisters in the family), some had traveled from overseas and none lived nearby.

They attended the wake and funeral and decided to stay in his old house afterwards and travel home the next day. They started drinking and after a good few went to bed. Their were two bedrooms a single and a double and two went into the double bed and one to the single. Later that night the man in the single room felt the bed moving and woke he decide he would go to the others and bunk in there for the night. He slipped in and after a few minutes that bed began to move around that room and woke all of them. They blamed each other telling each other to stop messing but the bed continued to move and they left in a hurry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

jprboy wrote: »
    This is related to my previous post above.

About 20 years ago I was involved in the implementation of a new system which involved work in various offices in a number of different towns. Due to the nature of the work (new computer network) it was easier to carry out some of the work outside normal office hours when the offices were unoccupied.

I was in one of those offices one Saturday afternoon in May. It was a lovely summer's day, bright and sunny. It was a former workhouse which had been converted for office use. I was the only one there when I heard what sounded like a door opening downstairs, then closing and some sound of movement.

I wasn't expecting anyone else. I called out "Hello" as I didn't want to startle whoever it might be if they came upstairs and suddenly encountered me. There was no response and I started to feel somewhat uneasy. I finished up as quick as I could and got out of there.

Last year I was doing some research on my grand aunt who had been killed during the War of Independence in 1920 in that same town, an innocent victim of the conflict.

It turns out that she died from her wounds in that workhouse.
    can i ask what town that was?

saabsaab wrote: »
    Later that night the man in the single room felt the bed moving and woke he decide he would go to the others and bunk in there for the night. He slipped in and after a few minutes that bed began to move around that room and woke all of them. They blamed each other telling each other to stop messing but the bed continued to move and they left in a hurry...

you mean the second bed he got into? or the bed in the first room?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 portlygent

Generally I'm quite skeptical about paranormal occurrences, but one particular story which happened around summer 2016 will always stick with me.

I used to travel quite a bit for work, and was working for a Glasgow base company during 2016-2017. We'd usually fly out from Dublin Sunday night/Monday morning, and fly back on Thursday/Friday, spending the work week in a hotel somewhere. Luckily enough, the company were quite accommodating and generally put us up in trendy boutique business hotels, like CitizenM etc. One guy knew a friend of a friend of a friend etc. who was able to get us fantastic rates for the Gleddoch hotel and spa outside of Glasgow in the countryside, and we'd rent cars and drive to the office every morning. It was great, because the place was literally setup as a relaxation destination, so after work we'd get massages, play golf, jacuzzis etc.

The hotel itself is an old victorian mansion, with sprawling corridors and can be kind of a maze really - basically one of those hotels that depending on where your room was, you could be a 15 minute walk to reception.

Given the setup of the place, it's no surprise that weddings were common enough here, so generally they'd place guests on the opposite side of the building to where the actual function area was (sort of a separate victorian building by the lake front to the west of the main building).

Because my job at the time was quite stressful, it often required working late, which I didn't mind though as I was young and eager to prove myself. So if I was working late until lets say 1AM, I'd head for a walk around the actual grounds and golf course, which was quite therapeutic. This particular night it was about 1:30AM, because I remember being annoyed because 1AM was generally my cut off point. I gathered myself and went for a walk, thinking I'd head up around the golf course and by the lake. I started through the corridors, this week I was stuck at the back and to get to reception I had about a 10 minute walk. I had turned up to the left and had an immediate right to take, but before taking the right turn to the next corridor I stopped because I heard a lady gently humming. It wasn't creepy or anything, I just stopped because I didn't want to encounter anybody at 1:30AM, and have an awkward conversation, so I decided to wait it out. However after about 5 minutes she was still humming, so I thought feck it, I'm not back-tracking. I thought I'd just nod and stroll past her. I turned the corner and seen a young woman standing at the top of the corridor, which split into a T shape at the top, left to enter a corridor with more rooms, right to go outside after about 25 feet of corridor. She was wearing a large dress, I presumed wedding of some sort, which was very pronounced at the bottom like a ball gown - which wouldn't be to uncommon in some of the themed eccentric weddings, so I thought nothing of it. She was facing down to the right and still humming softly. Then she walked down to the right hand-side of the T junction in the corridors, the same place I was planning to go. Feck it, might as well keep going. I was halfway up towards the junction when I realized that she wasn't humming anymore and it was completely still. I turned down the corridor expecting to see her and she wasn't there. Oddly enough the door at the end (door with a bar that you push to open) was still closed, which I remember thinking was weird, but she probably noticed me approaching, got embarrassed and hurried through the doors and closed them, although you'd be hard pushed to not make a sound opening and closing these doors, especially considering how still it was. I reached the end of the corridor and pushed open the door and looked around up towards reception, and down towards the spa, and she was nowhere to be seen. I continued on my walk and didn't dwell on this woman, tbh I was quite exhausted and just wanted to clear my head. As I was walking down towards the lake, I spotted the function building and kept walking. It didn't actually register with me at the time, but all of the lights were off. There was clearly no function let alone a wedding.

I made it back to my room after what I had thought was a fairly uneventful walk, and began to think about the events that had happened. I couldn't understand why this woman in an old-style ball-gown was humming in the quiet side of the hotel, and how she had dissapeared within less than 10 seconds of me walking up the corridor and turning to the right, without a sound. There was nowhere else to go in this corridor except outside. And the final weird thing about it, why was this woman dressed like this when there was no wedding or events on?

Of course I told the lads about it the next morning, they all took the piss out of me, although one did admit that he heard humming coming from the corridor one night, although we couldn't possibly relate one to the other. There's probably a perfectly innocent explanation to the entire story, but I was a little creeped out for a week or 2 after!

The second bed!

portlygent wrote: »
    Generally I'm quite skeptical about paranormal occurrences, but one particular story which happened around summer 2016 will always stick with me.

I used to travel quite a bit for work, and was working for a Glasgow base company during 2016-2017. We'd usually fly out from Dublin Sunday night/Monday morning, and fly back on Thursday/Friday, spending the work week in a hotel somewhere. Luckily enough, the company were quite accommodating and generally put us up in trendy boutique business hotels, like CitizenM etc. One guy knew a friend of a friend of a friend etc. who was able to get us fantastic rates for the Gleddoch hotel and spa outside of Glasgow in the countryside, and we'd rent cars and drive to the office every morning. It was great, because the place was literally setup as a relaxation destination, so after work we'd get massages, play golf, jacuzzis etc.

The hotel itself is an old victorian mansion, with sprawling corridors and can be kind of a maze really - basically one of those hotels that depending on where your room was, you could be a 15 minute walk to reception.

Given the setup of the place, it's no surprise that weddings were common enough here, so generally they'd place guests on the opposite side of the building to where the actual function area was (sort of a separate victorian building by the lake front to the west of the main building).

Because my job at the time was quite stressful, it often required working late, which I didn't mind though as I was young and eager to prove myself. So if I was working late until lets say 1AM, I'd head for a walk around the actual grounds and golf course, which was quite therapeutic. This particular night it was about 1:30AM, because I remember being annoyed because 1AM was generally my cut off point. I gathered myself and went for a walk, thinking I'd head up around the golf course and by the lake. I started through the corridors, this week I was stuck at the back and to get to reception I had about a 10 minute walk. I had turned up to the left and had an immediate right to take, but before taking the right turn to the next corridor I stopped because I heard a lady gently humming. It wasn't creepy or anything, I just stopped because I didn't want to encounter anybody at 1:30AM, and have an awkward conversation, so I decided to wait it out. However after about 5 minutes she was still humming, so I thought feck it, I'm not back-tracking. I thought I'd just nod and stroll past her. I turned the corner and seen a young woman standing at the top of the corridor, which split into a T shape at the top, left to enter a corridor with more rooms, right to go outside after about 25 feet of corridor. She was wearing a large dress, I presumed wedding of some sort, which was very pronounced at the bottom like a ball gown - which wouldn't be to uncommon in some of the themed eccentric weddings, so I thought nothing of it. She was facing down to the right and still humming softly. Then she walked down to the right hand-side of the T junction in the corridors, the same place I was planning to go. Feck it, might as well keep going. I was halfway up towards the junction when I realized that she wasn't humming anymore and it was completely still. I turned down the corridor expecting to see her and she wasn't there. Oddly enough the door at the end (door with a bar that you push to open) was still closed, which I remember thinking was weird, but she probably noticed me approaching, got embarrassed and hurried through the doors and closed them, although you'd be hard pushed to not make a sound opening and closing these doors, especially considering how still it was. I reached the end of the corridor and pushed open the door and looked around up towards reception, and down towards the spa, and she was nowhere to be seen. I continued on my walk and didn't dwell on this woman, tbh I was quite exhausted and just wanted to clear my head. As I was walking down towards the lake, I spotted the function building and kept walking. It didn't actually register with me at the time, but all of the lights were off. There was clearly no function let alone a wedding.

I made it back to my room after what I had thought was a fairly uneventful walk, and began to think about the events that had happened. I couldn't understand why this woman in an old-style ball-gown was humming in the quiet side of the hotel, and how she had dissapeared within less than 10 seconds of me walking up the corridor and turning to the right, without a sound. There was nowhere else to go in this corridor except outside. And the final weird thing about it, why was this woman dressed like this when there was no wedding or events on?

Of course I told the lads about it the next morning, they all took the piss out of me, although one did admit that he heard humming coming from the corridor one night, although we couldn't possibly relate one to the other. There's probably a perfectly innocent explanation to the entire story, but I was a little creeped out for a week or 2 after!

What tune was she humming?

oceanman wrote: »
    can i ask what town that was?

Sorry, don't want to reveal that in case I end up being identified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

jprboy wrote: »
    Sorry, don't want to reveal that in case I end up being identified.
    thats ok i understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

What tune was she humming?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Eingängig!

Unglaublich ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Eingängig!
    Unglaublich ;)

Gesundheit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

New Home wrote: »
    Gesundheit! :D

That’s easy for for you say😊

The second bed!

so you mean the second bed he got into was hopping about the place with him in it?

like something out of the movie the entity

so you mean the second bed he got into was hopping about the place with him in it?

like something out of the movie the entity

Him and the brothers too!

They never went back to stay there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,266 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One night when I was at college I was in my room and I heard the last person go to bed.
    About half an hour later I was still awake and I heard the patio door slide open and somebody walk through the kitchen and into the hallway.
    Then my bedroom door opened and I was almost frozen in my bed.
    Then my they climbed into bed with me.
    I then realised it was my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

One night when I was at college I was in my room and I heard the last person go to bed.
    About half an hour later I was still awake and I heard the patio door slide open and somebody walk through the kitchen and into the hallway.
    Then my bedroom door opened and I was almost frozen in my bed.
    Then my they climbed into bed with me.
    I then realised it was my friend.

Did you get lucky?

To thine own self be true

Advertisement