Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It was either Tom Dunne, or the spirits in the mini-bar.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Wonderful story!

But please do tell us the town, or at least the country, that this happened in?
    Just so we can try to avoid that hotel, you understand.

I'd love the see the TripAdvisor review.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

justathought hasn't (yet) revealed the location of his horror show...so is it a figment of his imagination???

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

No - it wasn’t a dizzy ‘its high‘lets jump’ vibe - Pure evil it was. I feel sick even thinking about it again. Googled local history sites and found the history of the building & owners - whatever happened there or went on in that room is well hidden. I actually feel sick thinking back on it. Its as though it was yesterday. I can hear the voice & accelerating evil and hammering menace of it.

Your story reminds me of this: https://comeheretome.com/2012/07/20/the-ghost-room-in-maynooth/

You hear slightly different versions of that one, but the gist is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

fryup wrote: »
    justathought hasn't (yet) revealed the location of his horror show...so is it a figment of his imagination???

Mod

And they are correct not to do so. It would be libellous if this has not been published in a reputable source. You will have to take it & every anecdotal post on Boards at face value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 JonasBlane

What do u think has changed about you since your french experience ?.(Good post )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

storker wrote: »
    I'd love the see the TripAdvisor review.
    You can't post a tripadvisor review if you are brown bread :eek:
    OP should google if there have been any suicides in that hotel over the years.

And they are correct not to do so. It would be libellous if this has not been published in a reputable source. You will have to take it & every anecdotal post on Boards at face value.

i'm not asking justathought to name the hotel just give a general ballpark idea of the location

* anyway in the worst takeaway thread you had people naming & shaming all sorts of establishments - what's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Esel wrote: »
    It was either Tom Dunne, or the spirits in the mini-bar.

Took me a minute.

R-8868379-1470438158-5938.jpeg.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Mod

Libellous, seriously? For calling a place haunted? I'd love to see a case like that brought up in the Irish courts. It would be laughed out of the place for being ridiculous.

I know of the Stambovsky v Ackley in the US but that was a consumer law case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

If you said it was the Cecil Hotel, Los Angeles, nobody would turn a hair.
    Or even that one in Cork that was discussed here before.

Honestly, just naming the town or even the country wouldn't count as libelling anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Day Lewin wrote: »
    If you said it was the Cecil Hotel, Los Angeles, nobody would turn a hair.
    Or even that one in Cork that was discussed here before.

Honestly, just naming the town or even the country wouldn't count as libelling anyone.

What was the one in Cork that was discussed here before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Aargh, can't remember the details now. Was it this thread?

Something about a room in some small hotel in Cork, I feel fairly sure. During discussion of creepy places, etc. and unsettled feelings etc

Sorry! But I'm sure it was on boards.ie

Think I've heard the Maldron Hotel in Cork mentioned a few times, probably on this thread. Wasn't it a former convent or hospital or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Libellous, seriously? For calling a place haunted? I'd love to see a case like that brought up in the Irish courts. It would be laughed out of the place for being ridiculous.
    I dunno, blasphemy was a criminal offence here until last year:o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No - it wasn’t a dizzy ‘its high‘lets jump’ vibe - Pure evil it was. I feel sick even thinking about it again. Googled local history sites and found the history of the building & owners - whatever happened there or went on in that room is well hidden. I actually feel sick thinking back on it. Its as though it was yesterday. I can hear the voice & accelerating evil and hammering menace of it.

In Dumbarton, Scotland, there's a 19th-century bridge called the Overtoun Bridge which has become known as the "dog suicide bridge for the number of dogs who have jumped to their deaths.

Some people believe that there are paranormal factors at work, driving the dogs to jump to their deaths.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/unexplained-phenomena/dog-suicide-bridge.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Think I've heard the Maldron Hotel in Cork mentioned a few times, probably on this thread. Wasn't it a former convent or hospital or something.

Yip . Looks out over a graveyard too !

not tellin you :p

until you tell us the other place

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭JimmyChew

doughef wrote: »
    Yip . Looks out over a graveyard too !

I stayed there. Previously the North Infirmary. We stayed there during the briefly lifted restrictions last July. Earlier in the day I got a call from the reception saying that the room we had booked was not in service. No problem says eye, so where will we be staying? At the top of the building in adjoining rooms. No problem! It was right up at the top of the hotel probably the 5th floor, the hotel didn't seem overly busy so it just seemed odd that we were put all the way up there. Not sure why this was related to this story, it may or may not be relevant. So we check in and mosey around Cork as you do and head back to the hotel that evening. We didn't have a drink as you had to be dining in so headed to the room early. 2 young kids with us so we we're just hanging around the room watching TV until bed time.
    I kept catching things in the corner of my eye, I cant really explain it, I kept thinking it was the kids throwing something or other but every time I checked it wasn't. Things just felt eerie that night. A very restless night sleep followed by an early wake up I looked to my right and the phone was off the hook up on my pillow. Very odd, The kids didn't stir during the night and I'm not known to do things in my sleep.
    Later that morning we had been booked into the pool (due to restrictions) and the pool was in this large weird shaped room long and rounded at both ends. Again I kept catching shadows or movements out of the corner of my eye.
    I did some googling afterwards and learned of the previous history of the place. And the Illness, sorrow & sadness that must have been contained within those walls.
    Not the most notable of tales compared to some here but definitely something else is at play in that hotel. For me to pick up on something like this and the whole stay just had a weird vibe to it. Like it's forced to be something it's not if you get me? it doesn't feel comfortable in itself as a hotel. I for one would not be in a hurry to stay there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

One day a group of us were chilling in our building in college and my mate gets a phone call. He tells us it's his mam calling from South Africa. He goes off and takes the call and we continue on arsing around.

15 minutes later he comes back. He looked quite shook and we figured he'd just received some bad news.

"You ok man?"

It turns out he had spoken to both his mother and brother on the phone. He proceeds to tell us that his younger brother had just been rescued from out in the bush where he had been undergoing his final assignment for his park ranger qualification. This final assignment was a night in the bush with another student ranger. They were tasked with securing their own camp with limited supplies and performing all of the tasks/duties that would be expected in such circumstances. They have their guns and a radio but no vehicles. They were dropped off barely a few Km from the base but it's proper bush; teeming with big five game (leopards, rhinos, elephants, buffalo and lions), as well as everything else you'd encounter at night-time on the African plains.

So the lads made their camp earlier in the day after they're dropped off. They erect a shelter and construct a perimeter fence around their camp using dead thorn bush. This is done quite extensively with the thorns facing outwards as a means to deter access by any larger animals. Nothing else eventful occurs throughout the day, they go about their various ranger checks, agree watch-shifts and settle down for the night.

My mate's brother woke up for his shift and came out of his tent to find the other ranger was nowhere to be found. Thinking he was being f*cked with he quickly checked in and around the camp; finding the other ranger's gun (he wouldn't have left their encampment without his gun). Determining he was now faced with an emergency situation he grabbed his radio and gun and climbed a nearby tree. He made the call for help and was high alert up that tree until the cavalry arrived as the sun rose. They reckoned the other ranger must have ventured out of the camp to relieve himself and was set upon by a leopard or a rogue lion, as there was not enough noise made to have stirred my friend's brother, there were no obvious signs of a struggle/breach and no sign of the other ranger or an animal. After a brief search of the area by the rescue party it was sadly confirmed to have been a fatal lion attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was playing a game on my phone called Slingo Blast last night. It's one of those games where you have a slot reel at the bottom of the bingo card. You go up against someone anywhere in the world to try & beat their score. You have to match the number from the reels with the same number in the card. There's many different versions of the game available as a PC download.

When I finished playing the game on my phone; I got a score of 777,666. I was a bit spooked out in seeing it.

Also earlier tonight; I heard a snap which was felt underneath the couch. It's an old hand me down given from my neighbours house over 10 years ago. I think it's nearing it's last legs soon. Although; I thought it was going to stab the arse off me as soon as I sat down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dusty Fogg

In 2010, my wife and I did one of the ghost walks in Edinburgh that took in Greyfriars Church and Graveyard. As someone who has an interest, albeit a sceptical one, in the paranormal I found it very enjoyable and entertaining.

One part of the graveyard, MacKenzie's Mausoleum, is the alleged centre of a lot of poltergeist activity.

George Mackenzie was a lawyer and the Lord Advocate during the rule of Charles II and earned a reputation as one of the most vicious persecutors of the Covenanters, the people who rose up and signed the National Covenant in 1638. Mackenzie’s brutal treatment of the protesters earned him the moniker “Bluidy Mackenzie.” He imprisoned many Covenanters in a section of Greyfriars Kirkyard, where he delighted in their torture and eventually, their heads would decorate the spiked gate.

Our guide informed us that over the years many people had fallen victim to attacks by the McKenzie poltergeist and suffered unexplained scratches, welts, bruises, bites etc. Most people have no recollection of having received these injuries at the time. In the little shop on the grounds they had a book of photographs of injuries that people had sustained and had sent back. You can also see a lot of these online.

When the tour finished we had dinner, drinks etc. When we got back to our hotel, I was getting ready for bed and noticed three long parallel scratches on my left forearm. They ran from the crook of my arm to the top of my wrist. They were an angry red but were not sore and you certainly would have remembered getting them. I was bemused more than freaked out. I have absolutely no clue as to how I got them. Was it a supernatural entity of a case of pscyhosomatic hysteria? I have no idea but I would love to revisit Greyfriars again to investigate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Dusty Fogg wrote: »
    In 2010, my wife and I did one of the ghost walks in Edinburgh that took in Greyfriars Church and Graveyard. As someone who has an interest, albeit a sceptical one, in the paranormal I found it very enjoyable and entertaining.

One part of the graveyard, MacKenzie's Mausoleum, is the alleged centre of a lot of poltergeist activity.

George Mackenzie was a lawyer and the Lord Advocate during the rule of Charles II and earned a reputation as one of the most vicious persecutors of the Covenanters, the people who rose up and signed the National Covenant in 1638. Mackenzie’s brutal treatment of the protesters earned him the moniker “Bluidy Mackenzie.” He imprisoned many Covenanters in a section of Greyfriars Kirkyard, where he delighted in their torture and eventually, their heads would decorate the spiked gate.

Our guide informed us that over the years many people had fallen victim to attacks by the McKenzie poltergeist and suffered unexplained scratches, welts, bruises, bites etc. Most people have no recollection of having received these injuries at the time. In the little shop on the grounds they had a book of photographs of injuries that people had sustained and had sent back. You can also see a lot of these online.

When the tour finished we had dinner, drinks etc. When we got back to our hotel, I was getting ready for bed and noticed three long parallel scratches on my left forearm. They ran from the crook of my arm to the top of my wrist. They were an angry red but were not sore and you certainly would have remembered getting them. I was bemused more than freaked out. I have absolutely no clue as to how I got them. Was it a supernatural entity of a case of pscyhosomatic hysteria? I have no idea but I would love to revisit Greyfriars again to investigate further.
    That happens a lot on those paranormal investigator shows. They did one in Greyfriars and the cameraman got the scratches down his back. Oddly enough it is usually always three scratchmarks like you got rather than four.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That happens a lot on those paranormal investigator shows. They did one in Greyfriars and the cameraman got the scratches down his back. Oddly enough it is usually always three scratchmarks like you got rather than four.

That makes sense; if you try to scratch, only the three fingers make any impact, not the little finger, as t is a superficial wounding. I just tried scratching my arm and three fingers it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

We stayed here in the family room last August bank holiday for 4 nights, I heard from this thread it was haunted but didn't tell my wife until we were on the way home or she would have cut the trip short.

Didn't notice anything scary until this week when I checked to rebook it for the same dates and noticed the price went from €320 last year to a "discounted rate" of €780 this year, that was the biggest fright, I think they want us to pay for the ghosts aswell!

Hotel prices are absolutely frightening at the moment alright. Tried booking some places that had been reasonably priced enough, now looking for 1500 for a week what would have been 900 last year. Booked nothing in the end.

I know they're trying to make up for lost ground and capitalising on the fact that people can't go abroad, but it's sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

L'appel du Vide? "the call of the void"?

I had not heard that expression before.

There are certain places I cannot even think of for that. The worst s Downpatrick Head which I have loved and visited often. The main photos show the cliffs and the small breakaway section. And it is pulling me in my mind

When I was actually last there, a few years ago I was fine. Stood at the edge etc with no effect. But it is floating through my mind as I write this. Very real and very strong.

Hotel prices are absolutely frightening at the moment alright. Tried booking some places that had been reasonably priced enough, now looking for 1500 for a week what would have been 900 last year. Booked nothing in the end.
    !

and the fact that half them are haunted too, you'd think they'd give a discount:cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

fryup wrote: »
    and the fact that half them are haunted too, you'd think they'd give a discount:cool:
    Exactly, a group discount or one for multiple occupancy! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A room with spirits provided is going to cost extra!

Advertisement