Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

andreoilin wrote: »
    that there was 'a little boy under her bed'. The girl got news a little while later that her nephew had passed away.

Made me think of this scene from the sixth sense except its a girl.

thesixthsense.jpg

Creeped me out at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Clever Mammy :p

I've just been hit by a brick train of realisation and betrayal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DARKNESS. Utter total lack of light.

I wrote re what happened by the river once..

When I was new here and still had no electricity, I wanted to resume my long established habit of walking the dog early; very early. I wake around 4 am .. iT was in some years as the stray collie I took in was car chaser and few folk were out then. So I would stride happily across the fields.

(Reminds me of a relevant aside! One day as we were coming in I heard a yelp , then a THUD and could not find the second of my dogs. I had a torch and called and searched etc. There was at that house a crusty old man who used to threaten me and my dogs, and come on the land and do damage so I was scared lest that had happened..

After half an hour of searching and getting more and more scared. wee dog appeared, looking dazed, And she was after the cattle who had somehow got into my lovely garden,,, Apparently she had tackled the intruders and the yelp was her being kicked and the THUD her landing after flying through the air..some dogs have nine lives..)

Anyways, this day here,,..getting to the crossroads was fine. There are three single track tarmac lanes and my grassy drive,
    No light from the dark house of course. I had put the candle out..

I stepped forwards, then realised how very very black it was,.... Just black and eyes straining t find anything,

Now I find my way via the various lighthouses and beacons at sea, but was too new for that.. and the cross of the roads is in a slight dip.

So I turned round and trod carefully on... but no grassy driveway, just tarmac and black, black and tarmac .. Panic started nibbling at me... I dared not move..

Stared hard and glimpsed a tiny blur of white; the small signpost for the loop walk by the driveway and I was saved ..

Deep darkness...

There was a second scare a few weeks later! The postbox is on the big gate at my end of the driveway and if I have post to go I leave a white cloth tied to the gate. So, I knew if i did not leave it out then, early and dark, i would forget...

As we neared the gate, my dog and I, she started growling, that growl that means her hackles would be up.
    This was not her usual behaviour. She is a great watch and guard dog and has
    a ferocious ear splitting bark,

I stopped in my tracks. My own hackles rising!
    Heard.. footsteps.. still no barking just the terrible sinister growling...

THEN! Two large shapes emerged from the gloom... No? The cattle were all safe indoors?

And realised with huge relief that it was the pair from up the lane.. a tall Spanish pony with the loveliest tall ears and dark cross and his companion, a tiny black miniature pony who could hide under the pony

They had escaped and seen,, MY DAFFODILS! Comic relief.. Dog knew them but knew they should not be there..

Darkness; hides and distorts reality. A deceiver.. a false guide. but to be respected ..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Graces7 wrote: »
    DARKNESS.

Deep darkness...

Darkness; hides and distorts reality. A deceiver.. a false guide. but to be respected ..

Does anyone want to swap seats?
    BFusfOpCMAA_k1w.jpg

I will admit it now, but the total darkness in deep rural outdoors has been the only thing in this life of mine that has rattled me on occasion. Been a couple of moments too when I have been in the bathroom , door open , light off, and one of the cats has pushed the door closed,. Makes us helpless, disempowered. .

• Advertisement

andreoilin wrote: »
    I've just been hit by a brick train of realisation and betrayal.

lol.. Remind me some day to tell you about Popeye, my beloved rabbit ...

The cottage was high in the Leitrim hills and had seen much better days. Much.... And strange things would, as happens in old places long empty in deep rural areas, occur..

One night, for example, I heard something in the main room.. I knew that thee had been an intruder as a fine pear I had been saving had morphed into pips and a stalk....

So, carefully, silently, I crept out of bed and tiptoed to the door, threw it open and snapped on the light in one fluid movement. GOTCHA! oh WOW!

There, eating an apple on my table, a large brown criitter with a long furry tail, and terrified eyes was in shock, then fled up the chimney dropping the apple....
    A few minutes of google ides it as a pine marten and this was the happy beginning of a long friendship..

But not all events at that remote old cottage were so happy.

I was outside gardening one day and heard a scattering thud from inside the cottage, Checked and all the cats were with me... crept in and there were potatoes scattered at random around the room, far flung as if with force...I had left the bag ion the table near the fireplace...

Little by little then I learned the tragic tale of that house and of the young woman who had used to sit in that spot... disturbed, restlessly wandering the mountain tracks at night..no help from her sick mother or the brother i had already encountered who was mentally handicapped....

Until finally she drank bleach in town and died. Unhappy, and still her presence hovered there....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

More funny than creepy but walking home one night as a youngster (after i'd spent the taxi money on that last beer), up a dark unlit road on the edge of town. I was convinced someone was following me at one point as I could hear this cough every so often. Just as I was about to break in to a run for home a couple of cows stuck their heads out over the ditch....ever hear a cow cough? Its uncannily human sounding and would scare the bejaysus out of you at night. I enjoyed the Sunday roast next day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Was queueing in Lidl on Tuesday and had been using Google Apps earlier and had a couple of things open on my Phone. Went to check if someone had messaged me back, realized stuff was open on my Phone, xed them all immediately didn't want to accidentally hit off the Phone and the Google Maps lady to go talking while I was standing there! :D:o As soon as I finished messing about with my Phone, - the girl standing in front of me, hit her keys off her Phone by accident and the Google Maps lady came on on her Phone instructing to turn right on the Galway Road! :eek::D:pac:

A small one

I sometimes kind of "see" in my mind what is happening or will happen.

So I was in a Post Office, way back, posting a small packet to Canada. Samples of my craft work to see it they would sell there for our work with abandoned babies.

I had made sure the packet was well wrapped and secure, but I kept getting this image in my mind of it getting lost or, rather, returned to me, stamps missing and address obscured,

I mithered the lady to make sure stamps were well stuck etc..

Not happy but what more could I do?

A few days later? Yep, there was my packet at my door, almost all the stamps missing and stamped on the return address side .

Went to my local Post Office and the lady there was mortified as she realised SHE had misdirected it...Said FROM clearly ( at another place years later a postmistress always crossed through the return address...)

Time is not always what we see?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Time is a Relative !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

. Flying in 2 weeks!

:eek:

Don't want to worry you - but it took a friend of mine over a month to get a passport recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

:eek:

Don't want to worry you - but it took a friend of mine over a month to get a passport recently!

If you do it online or tell the passport office you're flying in a week you get it quicker.

Took me 7 weeks through passport 'express', last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

A few years ago, I was on a Ryanair flight to Malaga sitting on the aisle seat beside an elderly couple. 15 minutes into the flight I felt the old mans head next to me rest on my shoulder.

I did my best to try and move his head away. I eventually managed to bump his head off my shoulder and rest in his own headrest. I looked over and noticed his eyes were open and he was staring blankly at the roof the plane. At this point his wife also noticed and began to ask if he was ok. I grabbed his hand and it was stone cold, then he then slumped forward completely lifeless.

I jumped out of my seat and went up to my dad (a doctor) who was sitting a couple of rows ahead, better come and take a look at this guy.
    The air hostess was as calm as you like, apparently, don't have a heart attack on a Ryan they have nothing that can help, a small medical kit with plasters etc.

Then I heard something about a cardiologist and thought great they can come and save the day,, it was a women who worked as a secretary for a cardiologist (not much good unless we needed a letter typed up I thought)
    While my dad and the skinny air hostess tried to move this man out of his seat and lie him flat on the deck of the aisle I headed for the pilot. A quick knock out came someone who worryingly looked younger than I was (early 20's) and just as hungover. After debating should we land at the nearest airport or not,, the man started to some how come around.. the colour came back to his face and he woke up..

On my return flight I had a seat free next to me,, who do you think sat beside me again? True story.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Especially the "stone cold" part. Was his name Lazarus?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

New Home wrote: »
    Especially the "stone cold" part. Was his name Lazarus?

Nope, Steve Austin

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ah well, that makes sense, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

superman28 wrote: »
    On my return flight I had a seat free next to me,, who do you think sat beside me again? True story.

If I was that old fella I'd make sure I'd be sitting next to the guy who helped bring me back from the dead too. Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

And the pilot just opened the door to you:o

• Advertisement

And the pilot just opened the door to you:o

He knocked first, see, politeness works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

razorblunt wrote: »
    He knocked first, see, politeness works.

Not on 9525 it didn't!

Stigura wrote: »
    Not on 9525 it didn't!

Maybe they didn't knock in German?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

Well technically a steward used the intercom thing as I recall,, but lets not split hairs..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

superman28 wrote:
    Well technically a steward used the intercom thing as I recall,, but lets not split hairs..

I'm taking back my thanks. That was the centre point of the entire story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I find the stories of lost Russian cosmonauts pretty creepy:

http://allthatsinteresting.com/lost-cosmonauts

Likewise the story of the ghost ship urang Medan is creepy af:

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2011/11/death-ship-the-ourang-medan-mystery/

When we were children, we were expected to settle at night and not make a fuss, so this was out of all proportion...

I would have been well under 10, maybe only 4 or 5 when one night I was woken by a horde of dragonflies in my bedroom. I was awake and they were real, bright colours and huge and I was terrified. Screamed and screamed and my mother came rushing in.
    She saw I was really out of control and even as she picked me up, a dragonfly landed on my pillow and I started screaming again. Only my mother could not see it.. Only me.

It was rare to be taken into our parents' bed and my father objected, but that is where we spent th rest of the night..

It was not a dream, not imagination... real dragonflies. Big and.... yukk

To this day I hate those things and as for daddy long legs....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

superman28 wrote:

Does he mean the steward knocked to alert the pilot? I don't think it makes a huge difference to the story. The pilot was young and looked hungover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

superman28 wrote:

Does he mean the steward knocked to alert the pilot? I don't think it makes a huge difference to the story. The pilot was young and looked hungover.

• Advertisement

Ann22 wrote: »

The mere thought of a hungover pilot is the scariest and creepiest thing I have read in a long time..

Thankful I never fly :rolleyes:

Advertisement