Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Well now I am creeped out!
    We moved the couch around to cover the hole from the burn mark from the fire.

I just sAt down to watch Neighbours on the couch and a small waft of smoke caught my eye, it's just after happening again!!
    This time it was the sun bouncing off a mirror on someone's bag. No flame this time and only a tiny scorch mark as I saw it quickly.
    Anyone got the loan of a vat of Holy water? :/
    A few months ago I had been in bed sick but a knock came to the door and I had to get up and answer it. I had to bring the person in and sit and chat for a while.

I was sitting on the couch and so was she. As we were chatting I was vaguely aware of a slight burning smell. Then a very thin waft of smoke caught my eye. It made no sense though, neither of us smoke, nothing could be on fire, I thought I was seeing things. When I looked down over the edge of the sofa at the floor a small piece of it was illuminated, and a piece in the centre the size of a euro, was smoking and a tiny flame was starting,seemingly from absolutely nothing. It was around 2 inches from the couch. I was completely perplexed, I stamped on it but after a min the smoke started to rise from it again. It was not unlike what you'd expect if you were to be smited by the Lord or something strangely biblical. It's not everyday you see fire start from seemingly nowhere and start again after being stamped out.

Turned out however that what was happening was that I had left a mirror out across the room and the sunlight hitting it had reflected off the wooden floor and it had started burning. It just 2 inches from the couch. If no one had called that day I expect the couch would've gone up in smoke and my house and myself in my bed with it.

Not so much a creepy tale as there was an explanation but in those few mins before we realised what was happening it certainly felt eerie as did the realisation that I'd been very lucky that someone had called when they did.
    Is that the Lucifer glass you have there ? It won’t burn a hole in your pocket but it gets on with your house like a house on fire .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

blinding wrote: »
    Is that the Lucifer glass you have there ? It won’t burn a hole in your pocket but it gets on with your house like a house on fire .

I blame MacGyver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

No scoffing!

One of Mr Lewin's suits got a long scorch mark along the jacket, from hanging in front of the wardrobe on a very sunny day; a little magnifying mirror that lay on the dressing-table before the window was sending a concentrated beam. Ruined the jacket, obviously, and might even have started a fire (only it didn't)

Ever since then, I cover make-up mirrors that lie in front of a south-facing window.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

One that really stuck out for me lately:

I normally don't dream much and if I do I barely remember them at all.

A few months ago I had a very disturbing dream. Was washing my hands in my bathroom. It was the middle of the night I know that. I have a frosted bathroom window. It was silent and all of a sudden I heard a male voice saying "Alright, muck?". As in, greeting me as if my name was muck. And he said muck in a cruel way as if that's what I was- dirt, muck.

I turned around and made out a face peering in the frosted window and it smiled as I caught its eye- a cold and taunting smile. I woke up sweating then, my arms crawling with Goosebumps as I flitted between dream and reality and the feeling shook me right up. Still remember it clearly now. I tried looking up what "face in window dream" means but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,888 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

A few months ago I had a very disturbing dream. Was washing my hands in my bathroom. It was the middle of the night I know that. I have a frosted bathroom window. It was silent and all of a sudden I heard a male voice saying "Alright, muck?". As in, greeting me as if my name was muck. And he said muck in a cruel way as if that's what I was- dirt, muck.

I turned around and made out a face peering in the frosted window and it smiled as I caught its eye- a cold and taunting smile. I woke up sweating then, my arms crawling with Goosebumps as I flitted between dream and reality and the feeling shook me right up. Still remember it clearly now. I tried looking up what "face in window dream" means but no luck.

Please tell me you posted this somewhere else over the last few days ?

If you didn't , then I'm having a weird de ja vu moment..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Please tell me you posted this somewhere else over the last few days ?

If you didn't , then I'm having a weird de ja vu moment..

Yes! I thought it was worth mentioning on the human mind thread. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,888 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Yes! I thought it was worth mentioning on the human mind thread. :eek:

Ah , that's where it was , thought I was becoming psychic for a moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

in my early teens[mid 70's] i worked on some houses in a small village as we were there for a while we got to know the locals mainly the woman who lived at the back of the houses we were working on she would bring out tea etc very kind woman maybe in her early 30's as i was a teenager i would'nt have given much thought to her age , so on to mid 90's when a friend of mine was going out with a girl and asked me to do some work in her house in the same estate as i had worked on in the 70's , so when i got there did the work and got chatting to her parents who had lived on the estate since it was built 70's , i told them this woman's name and asked if she still lived there[maybe 6 houses away on the oppisite side] --they had never heard of anyone by that name on speaking to them i got the impression that they did'nt want to speak anymore on the subject.It was the weirdest feeling i ever had , never did find out what happened to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

maybe this is not on the same subject, when i was in secondary school there were these 2 girls that always hung around together ,i knew their names but just to say hello to anyway an old man i know has some home help and the usual girl went on holidays so another girl came to replace her, as soon as i saw her i knew it was one of these 2 girls so we had a quick chat and i said to her do you ever see mary that you used to pal around with in school [i hav'nt see these girl's since we left school] eh no she said , she used to live near me but we never hung around together, i could see by her face i had said the wrong thing., Must have been a major falling out. it just felt a bit strange that she would say she did'nt know her.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

More stories please :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Sleep paralysis sounds like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

seachto7 wrote: »

Sheep analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

seachto7 wrote: »

Groundhog day is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Long after he had spent several months in hospital, I was driving my dad somewhere when he started to talk about one of the nurses there. I was concentrating on the traffic and not listening closely until I heard "I could tell she hadn't been dead for long." I got him to backtrack and start again, and he said he had woken up late one night to see a nurse in an old-fashioned uniform, especially the hat which he said was particularly large. She was standing (?) on the curtain rail that went around the bed opposite his, and she was looking down at him. That was all there was to the story, except that when he told one of the nurses about it she informed him that his bed was considered a "lucky bed" and people who had used it made a good recovery. As did he.

On another occasion we were all talking about dreams and ghostly things when he announced that he had awoken one night to see a woman in the bedroom looking down at my mother and smiling. My mother freaked out and forbade him from mentioning anything like that ever again as it gave her the creeps. He couldn't see the problem, since the lady had been smiling...

He was a very unimaginative person when it came to the supernatural and he had no interest or believe in ghosts or the occult, yet he told these stories without any drama or build-up, in much the same way as you might say you met so-and-so in the supermarket the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,592 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

This is a strange one and I feel uncomfortable even writing it.

About a year ago, a client from work told me the following story about her dad.

He was in his bedroom alone the previous night watching TV, when he realised there was a dark figure- like a man wearing all black- standing beside the door.

He started screaming and his 2 adult children ran into the room.
    He started pointing at the figure which he could still see, and told them to look at it.
    But neither of them could see anything.
    He was still seeing it and pointing at it, but they could see nothing.
    He was very distressed and slowly, thankfully, the figure disappeared.

He said afterwards that he'd not found it in any way threatening, just scary because he didn't know what it was.

When his daughter told me this story, I asked whether her dad was on any specific medication etc...and I also said that if it was me or one of my family, I'd probably go to my GP for a full check up, just in case.

To be honest, I totally forgot about all that until
    last autumn. He was diagnosed with cancer and as I write, he's terminally ill.
    Not so sure whether there's any significance to the dark figure and his diagnosis, but it made me uneasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

This obviously has it's explanation but it was unnerving at the time.

Before my mam died, she developed dementia as a later stage of parkinsons disease.

A lot of times it was nearly funny as she laughed away at cartoon characters she could see running around the floor, one day though I came home and she was alone in the sitting room petrified at the "man with a beard" standing in the corner watching her.

Hard to watch someone go through that but even more so when you see it affect them in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

368100 wrote: »
    This obviously has it's explanation but it was unnerving at the time.

Before my mam died, she developed dementia as a later stage of parkinsons disease.

A lot of times is was nearly funny as she laughed away at cartoon characters she could see running around the floor, one day though I came home and she was alone in the sitting room petrified at the "man with a beard" standing in the corner watching her.

Hard to watch someone go through that but even more so when you see it affect them in that way.

The dementia is scary. I seen my wife's grandmother looking out the window one day at men loading bales of hay onto a horse drawn trailer. It wasn't there.

My own grandmother has it too, and she gets terrified at people coming to her at night. She's constantly looking for her babies too, especially as it gets later in the evening "where are they, why aren't they home?". Of course, her youngest is over 60 by now like!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'd be more interested in how you'd know which night you got pregnant!

Only seeing this now.
    I just told the story of why that night stood out you smart ar$e.

Also, when you have a husband who's away a lot, it's easy to know. I'm not the Virgin Mary like.

The cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Only seeing this now.

Also, when you have a husband who's away a lot, it's easy to know. I'm not the Virgin Mary like.

The cheek.

Don't be too hard on him, the entire concept must be confusing to a sponge....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Only seeing this now.

The cheek.

Is he away at the moment?

You seem a bit, em, tetchy, shall we say!;)

Anyway, I meant no offence - to my simple sponge brain it seemed an unusual enough scenario, to be able to nail down the very night of conception (pardon the pun) in the absence of some archangel Gabriel style intervention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Anyway, I meant no offence - to my simple sponge brain it seemed an unusual enough scenario, to be able to nail down the very night of conception (pardon the pun) in the absence of some archangel Gabriel style intervention.

Not really? It's easy to pinpoint when tracking, provided you know a bit about the female cycle. It's actually a pretty short window of time when it can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Is he away at the moment?

You seem a bit, em, tetchy, shall we say!;)

You'd be surprised how many women are able to pinpoint a date of conception I would say, especially when conception is intentional, without going into TMI.

Not really? It's easy to pinpoint when tracking, provided you know a bit about the female cycle. It's actually a pretty short window of time when it can happen.

I suppose so.

It's just a level of detail that never concerned me. When it comes to conceiving I'm more of a go at it like a rabbit and let the details sort themselves out kind of bloke, maybe the missus paid more attention to days and dates than I did (I doubt it though)

I do know someone who had days marked on a calendar for months in advance - way too clinical for my tastes!

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    The dementia is scary. I seen my wife's grandmother looking out the window one day at men loading bales of hay onto a horse drawn trailer. It wasn't there.

My own grandmother has it too, and she gets terrified at people coming to her at night. She's constantly looking for her babies too, especially as it gets later in the evening "where are they, why aren't they home?". Of course, her youngest is over 60 by now like!

My own grandmother had it too, she's dead about 15 years or more now - one particular night she asked her son who was visiting to go out and find his younger brother (her youngest - about 45 or so at the time, had been living in London for 25 years) because he was in trouble, he was being chased she said. Turns out he was in trouble and was actually stabbed and killed that night in a row over something or other outside his apartment.

I'm sure it was just a coincidence - but a fairly creepy one nonetheless!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭taserfrank

Once a man put his finger somewhere in me that he should't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Used to work night shifts in a nursing home. One particular night I was working with a girl whose nephew had been in hospital for a long time and they weren't expecting him to survive the next few days. One of our residents who usually sleeps through the night rang her call bell. When we answered it she said that there was 'a little boy under her bed'. The girl got news a little while later that her nephew had passed away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

taserfrank wrote: »
    Once a man put his finger somewhere in me that he should't have.

Your belly button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Not sure if I just had an overactive imagination as a child but this genuinely still freaks me out to this day. So when I was in primary school my Mam made me corned beef sandwiches for lunch, which I hated, but she used to give out if I didn't eat my lunch so I had this plan that I'd bring them home and hide them, and then throw them out when she wasn't in the house. So I hid them in a press in my bedroom and waited for her to leave. Being a very young child I forgot all about them and the next day when I came home from school she had gone into the press to get art stuff for my cousin to play with and found them. But the sandwiches she found were CHEESE sandwiches. Convinced myself that it was God's way of punishing me as I love cheese and would have no excuse :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

andreoilin wrote: »
    Not sure if I just had an overactive imagination as a child but this genuinely still freaks me out to this day. So when I was in primary school my Mam made me corned beef sandwiches for lunch, which I hated, but she used to give out if I didn't eat my lunch so I had this plan that I'd bring them home and hide them, and then throw them out when she wasn't in the house. So I hid them in a press in my bedroom and waited for her to leave. Being a very young child I forgot all about them and the next day when I came home from school she had gone into the press to get art stuff for my cousin to play with and found them. But the sandwiches she found were CHEESE sandwiches. Convinced myself that it was God's way of punishing me as I love cheese and would have no excuse :P

Clever Mammy :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

andreoilin wrote: »
    that there was 'a little boy under her bed'. The girl got news a little while later that her nephew had passed away.

Made me think of this scene from the sixth sense except its a girl.

thesixthsense.jpg

Creeped me out at the time.

Advertisement