Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

Last Summer, me and my brother were sitting in the garden having a beer. I live close to a church and the bells rang on the hour. Just as the bell rang my brothers phone started ringing. The name that came up frightened us both. Our cousin died many years ago in an accident. He was known by a nickname and that's the name came up on the screen. By the time the fright subsided the ringing stopped. It maybe rang twice before stopping, a few seconds. His phone was on the table .
    When we looked at the phone there was no missed calls or any trace of the name. It wasn't a mix up because he has nobody the same name in his phone as it was his nickname and besides the cousin died well before phones were a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

batman1 wrote: »
    Last Summer, me and my brother were sitting in the garden having a beer. I live close to a church and the bells rang on the hour. Just as the bell rang my brothers phone started ringing. The name that came up frightened us both. Our cousin died many years ago in an accident. He was known by a nickname and that's the name came up on the screen. By the time the fright subsided the ringing stopped. It maybe rang twice before stopping, a few seconds. His phone was on the table .
    When we looked at the phone there was no missed calls or any trace of the name. It wasn't a mix up because he has nobody the same name in his phone as it was his nickname and besides the cousin died well before phones were a thing.

Now that is creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

I Was working away the other night and came across a persons name. I thought to myself thats a great name. Something like an actor would have or tv presenter. It reminded me of someone i used to work with. I Only worked with them briefly and never really thought much off them since. Similarly that persons name was something you'd associate with a celebrity. Did a little creep on Facebook and went back about my business. 3 days later i got sent an obituary. The very night this person randomly came back into my head was the night they died. It left ne kinda spooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

superman28 wrote: »
    I did my best to try and move his head away. I eventually managed to bump his head off my shoulder and rest in his own headrest. I looked over and noticed his eyes were open and he was staring blankly at the roof the plane. At this point his wife also noticed and began to ask if he was ok. I grabbed his hand and it was stone cold, then he then slumped forward completely lifeless..

You'd think he'd be in first class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

This weekend I will be sleeping in an underground biillet, in an old military/naval location 100's of years old, overlooking the sea. I do this about 8 times a year (don't ask), I always bring someone with me as during the night there are 'movements' around the room that keep me awake. When there is someone with me I can, in my own mind, put the sounds down to them and dismiss them. There are some areas of this compound that have a reputation for eerie phenomena but I never found that. Even when it is silence and pitch black they do not give off anything that would make you feel uneasy, but in the room/billet, now that is another story. The coldest time of the night is usually about 3.30am, and around this time, regularly I would wake up shivering with the cold, even though I am well insulated with arctic sleeping bag and Bivvy bag. Having said all that, it is a beautiful location, and when the darkness falls, and all is silent, and you are on your own, underground, in the dark, and it is not so silent anymore, now that's another story.
    I forgot to add I could not get anyone to come with me this weekend so it will be a solo gig. Gin and tonic will help a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

enfield wrote: »
    (don't ask)

But, I want to! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Any chance of that other story??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

The mere thought of a hungover pilot is the scariest and creepiest thing I have read in a long time..

Thankful I never fly :rolleyes:

Why? A pilot only takes over for take off and landing. The rest is autopilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Stigura wrote: »
    But, I want to! :)

He's a pretending to play soldier in fort Davis in Cork. Nothing spooky about the place other than the rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

fxotoole wrote: »
    Why? A pilot only takes over for take off and landing. The rest is autopilot.

:eek: That is WORSE!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

This weekend I will be sleeping in an underground biillet, in an old military/naval location 100's of years old, overlooking the sea. I do this about 8 times a year (don't ask), I always bring someone with me as during the night there are 'movements' around the room that keep me awake. When there is someone with me I can, in my own mind, put the sounds down to them and dismiss them. There are some areas of this compound that have a reputation for eerie phenomena but I never found that. Even when it is silence and pitch black they do not give off anything that would make you feel uneasy, but in the room/billet, now that is another story. The coldest time of the night is usually about 3.30am, and around this time, regularly I would wake up shivering with the cold, even though I am well insulated with arctic sleeping bag and Bivvy bag. Having said all that, it is a beautiful location, and when the darkness falls, and all is silent, and you are on your own, underground, in the dark, and it is not so silent anymore, now that's another story.
    I forgot to add I could not get anyone to come with me this weekend so it will be a solo gig. Gin and tonic will help a lot.

When I took my guest to Downpatrick Head, we went into the lookout post hut. And I would dearly love to spend a night or three in there. Now you have me yearning!
    see

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-ireland-county-mayo-downpatrick-head-sea-stack-31599041.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

:eek: That is WORSE!!!!!!!!!!

quote-in-the-future-airplanes-will-be-flown-by-a-dog-and-a-pilot-and-the-dog-s-job-will-be-scott-adams-132-19-21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

Not quite the complete quote:
    the added part is
    "...and what's the pilot for?"
    "..to feed the dog".

Old pome..

"As I was going down the stair,
    I met a man who wasn't there..
    He wasn't there again today,
    I wish that man would go away..."

The more you read it the creepier it gets. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Old pome..

The more you read it the creepier it gets. :eek:
    Its a great Pome ( poem ) of nonsense

Its weird that though its nonsense it still has some effect .

It just goes to show bull$h!t spoken well can have an affect .

Something many politicians know only too well .

blinding wrote: »
    Its a great Pome ( poem ) of nonsense

Its weird that though its nonsense it still has some effect .

It just goes to show bull$h!t spoken well can have an affect .

Something many politicians know only too well .

Thanks

I realised reading your post that I am "seeing" this now on a ancient stone spiral staircase .. where you cannot see round the next few steps, and ti is making is so creep y.... I think I posted about the ruins at Cong way back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Were you on Camden St last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think I'm going to haunt places after my death. Public places like bars and train stations, I won't intrude on peoples homes because I'm nice like that. :)

It's like trolling in a sense. I'm sure the 'spirits' get a fierce kick out of it. :D

Just checked and I did not post the Cong incident; that went to another forum.. Tomorrow, and you will LOVE this one I promise.. ;)

"Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.." ( That is how Listen with Mother used to introduce story time on the radio..! Before your time..!)

When I came back to the Mayo/Galway area early last year, it was to renew the love of places there.

As I am sure you know by now, I love old abbey ruins etc.

And one of my favourite haunts, 17 years before, had been Cong in Mayo

So one day I set sail for Cong... Lingered in the abbey ruins, and oh that fishing lodge! Calm wide river with swans...

I decided to walk the walk through the forest. A kind of pilgrimage as I had done this before I left Mayo... Less mobile now but hey! Pilgimages include challenge

A long walk and to tell truth I was getting bored. Plodding doggedly along and almost no one around...
    Passed some labelled ruins; wished later I had stopped.

Turned the corner heading back to base, and found the Guinness Tower, Resisted the strong urge to climb the narrow spiral staircase as the thought of getting back down..:

On the left, a sign to a house, and a cave with a stream through it and steep steps with a handrail to the side.

So up I clambered...

More tracks to left and right and then I saw it! Through the trees a large set of ruins... Crenellated battlements and seeing trees through the empty windows... OH WOW! Had not seen this before, or on the web site etc,

So I started towards the ruins on the rutted track.. Noting great detail in the stonework..Eager....fascinated

Then in the blink of an eye..the whole thing just vanished... Gone.

I stopped in my tracks, gazing. But nothing.
    Was not upset; just shrugged. "It has gone!"

and wandered on back to the abbey etc

Of course when I got home I checked online and no mention of ruins there..

So I emailed the Ashford hotel, which is next to the forest. They put me in touch with a famous local historian

Who told me, yes, there are ruins there. When the abbey was attacked and destroyed, the monks escaped to the forest and hid there. And the great Cross of Cong was safely hidden there...

When I told him my experience? Never heard from him again! Clearly my vanishing ruins are not HIS real ruins...

I never went back to that part again. And learned too that what I had "seen" earlier at the smaller ruins was not there either.

So I have never seen the real ruins..

Just those splendid battlements ruined against the tall green trees in a forest where there was through the centuries so much danger and fear and suffering. A privilege to be a tiny part of that. To catch the slightest echo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cong_Abbey

• Advertisement

Last night was grand a quiet, just one loud knock at 5am. I will post a few more pics later.

Attachment not found.

Sleeping arrangements.

Now I enjoyed that video, some very interesting places in there. Thank you for posting. If I ever got the opportunity I would love to visit it. If you think I am in Fort Davis/Carisle then come and find me, you will be wasting your time.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any chance of that other story??

Well, things sound like they are moving at the other end of the room, like a sliding sound, bangs, and footsteps. I had a medium with me on time and he said there is nothing in this room. He stayed the night, and the next day when we got home he said that he heard the noises too but would not mention it at the time as its not the kind of thing you want pointed out and highlighted in the wee hours of the night. He did not say what the noises were. Its uncomfortable when you are trying to get some sleep. Last night was grand. The video that Stigura posted the Camp Guard shows and castellated store, I sleep in one of that type, but in better condition.
    Stigura, if you manage to pin down where I am come and see me, I am easy to find, I am in green uniform with three stripes on my right arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

:confused: Don't know where ye are. Someone, above, suggested it was there. Photo ye showed looked similar. Ye never contradicted it; I googled it.

Still very curious as to what ye up to. Seems a very odd set up. But, if ye don't want to tell? One for the Mysteries thread ;)

Lads lads lads, where am is irrelevant really. You are making my whereabouts a big mystery, this post is just about the night-time goings on.

But here are some pics from my location, and it is not Fort Davis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

But here are some pics from my location, and it is not Fort Davis.

It's that place where The Phantom of the Opera comes round the corner in a little boat, with candles and a wailing soprano. No wonder you're nervous.

Advertisement