Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Graces7 wrote: »
    I believe it totally . I love to visit ruined abbeys and churches as I explore Ireland. each has its own character. Ross Errilly is a powerful one for good

Last summer I stopped to look at a very distinctive ruined church. Wandered
    round the rough burial area, then went to enter the church and could not go in fully or pray there. Tried a few times, then apologised aloud . Oppressive and .... shudders

Of course I checked online later and sure enough, real evil had happened there

What do you mean you couldnt go in or pray - Was it like the entrance was blocked and you had nowhere to kneel or you couldnt physically get through an open space and couldnt concentrate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Graces7 wrote: »
    Nesta99 wrote: »
    My Cousin was a tour guide in Kilkenny Castle, summer type job when studying. He says that very regularly when taking groups in to one particular room, some of the group members, all female, would start to show signs of panic, feeling like they couldnt breathe and would rush out of the room. It happened a few times a day, different groups, same room. The OPW even had the place checked n case some sort of chemical was being given off by old paintwork etc but nothing out of the ordinary was found. Some of the group members this happened to claim it was something malevolent, feeling like a hand being clamped over the mouth from behind, feeling of being throttled, weight on the chest, fear and the like but it all passed as soon as they left the room in question. \

I believe it totally . I love to visit ruined abbeys and churches as I explore Ireland. each has its own character. Ross Errilly is a powerful one for good

Last summer I stopped to look at a very distinctive ruined church. Wandered
    round the rough burial area, then went to enter the church and could not go in fully or pray there. Tried a few times, then apologised aloud . Oppressive and .... shudders

Of course I checked online later and sure enough, real evil had happened there

Such as what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Don't know if its true, but did hear that some hospitals do put random stuff on top shelves / cupboard etc to validate these out-of-body experiences, as you cant see them from normal eye level... Must happen often enough for for it to be a thing...

Interesting I hadn't heard of that. I suppose it would only become evident to them if you talked to the hospital about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Don't know if its true, but did hear that some hospitals do put random stuff on top shelves / cupboard etc to validate these out-of-body experiences, as you cant see them from normal eye level... Must happen often enough for for it to be a thing...

Definitely not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes some hospitals have done this. Not sure of the results though

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2011/jan/12/near-death-experiences-croydon-hospital

http://m.newser.com/story/103856/hospitals-try-to-prove-out-of-body-experiences.html

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »

There’s not one hospital in the country with items placed on high up shelves in order to prove out of body experiences.trust me.
    theres hundreds stuck on trolleys in a and e departments and there’s hundreds of unnecessary staff employed in bullsh1t positions,while there is a serious lack of front line staff such as nurses doctors porters and care assistants etc.this is fact.
    But I guarantee that the idea of items being hidden up high in rooms to prove the existence of out of body experience is nonsense and bordering on tin foil hat territory.
    Some old lad in visiting someone in hospital probably saw a child’s teddy thrown up on a shelf and came up with this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

There’s not one hospital in the country with items placed on high up shelves in order to prove out of body experiences.trust me.
    theres hundreds stuck on trolleys in a and e departments and there’s hundreds of unnecessary staff employed in bullsh1t positions,while there is a serious lack of front line staff such as nurses doctors porters and care assistants etc.this is fact.
    But I guarantee that the idea of items being hidden up high in rooms to prove the existence of out of body experience is nonsense and bordering on tin foil hat territory.
    Some old lad in visiting someone in hospital probably saw a child’s teddy thrown up on a shelf and came up with this story.

I read it was an experiment conducted by a few people with regards to lucid dreaming and astral projection - but never done by hospital staff - the story seemed to have gotten legs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It was a study conducted in 18 hospitals in the UK and US. So it did happen. I'm sure nothing came of it thought or we would have heard about it
    Mayday hospital is one of a number of UK and US hospitals participating in a scientific study of NDEs – and, in particular, out-of-body experiences – led by Dr Sam Parnia of the Weill Cornell Medical Centre in New York, and Southampton University. The three-year project, which began in 2008, is seeking scientific proof of those many "looking down from the ceiling" statements made by critically ill patients.

Parnia's project is using a simple method to test the validity of out-of-body experiences. Images have been placed on high shelves that can only be seen from above. "If you can demonstrate that consciousness continues after the brain switches off," he says, "it allows for the possibility that the consciousness is a separate entity. It is unlikely that we will find many cases where this happens, but we have to be open-minded. And if no one sees the pictures, it shows these experiences are illusions or false memories."

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It was a study conducted in 18 hospitals in the UK and US. So it did happen. I'm sure nothing came of it thought or we would have heard about it

Nothing short of cuckoo pants territory

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I had a dream a few weeks back,that i was pushing a baby in a pram.With me was my mam and uncle[both deceased].Really weird dream.

Anyway a few days later i find out my son and his girlfriend are expecting a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I had a dream last week and it was very clear and realistic. Myself and my wife got a phone call telling us our 7 year old daughter has died. In the dream we were expecting it as there was a bad accident or incident somewhere and she was nearby.

Funny thing is we don't have kids and won't be having them. :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

^^^
    Appropriate user name, for a thread like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I had forgotten this until I revisited the valley I first lived in when i came to Ireland.

Every day I walked the valley, exploring..

One day I came to an old house by a stream. I was sure ( all coming back to me now as I write ) that there was smoke coming from the chimney so was wary.But that stopped and I went down to it. Door was open; uninhabited but furniture still there..

I went out to sit on a low wall and "saw" with that inner eye, a wagon with children and possessions, then a woman running away from the house towards the lane and the river..

I asked a neighbour about the house that evening and told him what had happened. His face went white and he said the hairs on the back of his neck were standing up. These were close neighbours.

There was a terrible murder there. A woman. The man shot her and his father took the blame to save his son, then committed suicide in jail .

Strange things in a remote Irish valley

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭garyskeepers

trust me.

What inside knowledge do you have on this that the rest of us dont?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Stumbled across this article by chance.Its from 2000 and about Sophie Toscan du Plantier.This about the castle I didn’t hear before.

On Friday, 20 December 1996, Sophie landed at Cork Airport (the security video shows her trundling a surprising amount of luggage) and drove to her house along the winding coast road in a rented Ford Fiesta. She chatted briefly with Denis Quinlan at the Courtyard Bar, in Schull, and with Tom Brosnan, the jovial owner of the Spar supermarket, both of whom she knew well. Over the weekend she visited many of her local haunts, including O'Sullivan's Pub, on the quayside in Crookhaven, a village that has recently become so popular with visiting French yachtsmen that it's known as 'little Saint-Tropez'. She also went for a walk on bleak Three Castle Head and called on some friends, with whom she had a strange, melancholy conversation. She said that, while walking, she had come upon the ruins of Dun Lough - or Black Lake - Castle, and had sensed some kind of menace. According to legend, the lake next to the castle is home to a female ghost who, if glimpsed, is supposed to be a harbinger of death. Afterwards, Sophie decided to return to Paris on 24 December, a few days earlier than she'd originally intended. That Sunday, she called her husband at 11pm and had what he recalls was a 'convivial' conversation.

At 10 o'clock the next morning, a neighbour found Sophie's body in the lane leading to her house.

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2000/mar/12/life1.lifemagazine10

If you're interested in this case, there's a podcast called 'West Cork' released about two months ago on Audible. It focuses completely on Sophie Toscan du Plantier. You can listen to if for free as they offer a 30 day free trial. I thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

cazzer22 wrote: »
    If you're interested in this case, there's a podcast called 'West Cork' released about two months ago on Audible. It focuses completely on Sophie Toscan du Plantier. You can listen to if for free as they offer a 30 day free trial. I thought it was great.

I have it and it IS good listening.
    Not precisely spooky, though: more like "My favourite unsolved mystery" territory.
    PS that free trial quietly expires and signs itself up for the next month: you have to be vigilant to remove yourself before your "free" month is up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

dubstarr wrote: »
    I had a dream a few weeks back,that i was pushing a baby in a pram.With me was my mam and uncle[both deceased].Really weird dream.

Anyway a few days later i find out my son and his girlfriend are expecting a baby.

That reminded me of the night I got pregnant with my first born. We had made the big decision to try for a baby, so being pregnant was something I was hoping would happen.

Anyway, I woke up after the most horrific nightmare that morning, I am fairly prone to nightmares, but this one was just the most godawful ever in my life : particularly graphic, with blood everywhere , severed parts, Mr M dead in it in a blood churning accident.
    I was shook, crying, breathless, traumatized, but somehow I knew straightaway that I was pregnant.

Waiting for the time to take the test was torture, but I was right ! :D

I'm a bit reluctant to dig into the significance of Mr M dying in it :p

I don't remember having another dream for the second pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I was just leafing through someone else's dream dictionary the other day and it said death in a dream represents dying to an old role so part of yourself can move to the next phase of your life! So it's more about new life than anything else.
    I wouldn't be much one for dream analysis but it fits here! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

That reminded me of the night I got pregnant with my first born. We had made the big decision to try for a baby, so being pregnant was something I was hoping would happen.

Anyway, I woke up after the most horrific nightmare that morning, I am fairly prone to nightmares, but this one was just the most godawful ever in my life : particularly graphic, with blood everywhere , severed parts, Mr M dead in it in a blood churning accident.
    I was shook, crying, breathless, traumatized, but somehow I knew straightaway that I was pregnant.

Well . Was Damien the Baby ?

Well . Was Damien the Baby ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

That reminded me of the night I got pregnant with my first born.

I'd be more interested in how you'd know which night you got pregnant!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Well I know my parents only had sex once and hated every second of it so maybe she is the same.

Well I know my parents only had sex once and hated every second of it so maybe she is the same.
    And so many of the rest of us were immaculate conceptions .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Come off it would you - they couldn't possibly have hated all 22 of them!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

Some strange things happening lately in our house over the past few weeks.

My sister in law recently turned 40 and we happened to have a large helium balloon in our living room after we had a small party in our house. We were watching TV and it was in the corner of the room. I happened to look over at one point and noticed that it was gone. We got up to check the kitchen but it wasn't there. We went upstairs and the balloon was stuck at our bedroom door which was slightly ajar. It seemingly managed to leave one room, go through another, go up the stairs and go across the landing. Weird but not unsettling.

Tuesday afternoon, my wife put a slice of bread in the toaster for our 16 month old daughters lunch. She heard it finish but when she went to get the toast after letting it cool down, it was gone. She looked everywhere but couldn't find it. For all intents and purposes it disappeared into thin air. She then turned on the grill and toasted one side of the bread instead. I came home that evening and we decided to have fajitas. However, the pack we'd bought last Sunday was nowhere to be found. Like the toast, it had disappeared. She phoned home as usual and explained to her mother what had happened, how unnerving it all was. When she mentioned the toast under the grill her mother said that my wife's gran (who died in 1999) had always put toast under the grill. She never liked to have both sides toasted. It started to unsettle my wife.

A friend of her's is a reflexologist and having an interest in crystals and spiritualism recommended she go to a local shop which sold crystals and healing stones etc. The owner asked her to draw a sketch of the floor plan in our house. Using a crystal on a string he said it was sensing a negative energy in our bedroom, the same one the balloon was looking to get into. He said that a positive energy was present in one room. It was our daughters room and that this energy was protecting this room. He gave my wife some sage to burn in each room and for her to ask the energy to leave. Now I don't subscribe to any of that but my wife was getting freaked out by it. We did what was recommended. He also gave her a stone to throw into a river.

One of the houses in the estate, three doors up from us has been for sale. It was unoccupied for a year. Over the past few weeks, an elderly man rang our doorbell and was looking for help. He didn't give a name but said he needed help with the heating and if my wife could take a look. It was always during the day, while I was at work. He said his brother owned the house and he was looking after it as he was away. All vague background details. My wife helped him with the heating (he didn't know how to use the timing pad). A week later he called again, this time looking for a yard brush, and again my wife assisted. Last week, he rang our doorbell again and was now looking for a specific type of Allen key for the fuse box. Again, he was helped. He was a quiet man she said, polite, thankful but wasn't one for the chat so to speak. Now having experienced the weirdness of the past few days, I jokingly said that this man might actually be a ghost. My wife went white and my saying this completely freaked her out now. She had thought the same but was embarrassed to say it as she knows I don't believe in such things.

This morning when getting our daughter up at 7am, she, now having started to say little sentences of her own every day said "Hello..Boy.." three times. She waved, to no one in particular once. It's all getting stranger and stranger now. More to follow as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Chev_Chelios

I don't have a story to add at the moment but I saw this on reddit. A user has made a post with a large collection of links to paranormal and creepy askreddit threads. Here it is, spooky reading everyone. ;)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Paranormal/comments/3ep2f1/my_huge_collection_of_paranormalthemed_askreddit/

A few months ago I had been in bed sick but a knock came to the door and I had to get up and answer it. I had to bring the person in and sit and chat for a while.

I was sitting on the couch and so was she. As we were chatting I was vaguely aware of a slight burning smell. Then a very thin waft of smoke caught my eye. It made no sense though, neither of us smoke, nothing could be on fire, I thought I was seeing things. When I looked down over the edge of the sofa at the floor a small piece of it was illuminated, and a piece in the centre the size of a euro, was smoking and a tiny flame was starting,seemingly from absolutely nothing. It was around 2 inches from the couch. I was completely perplexed, I stamped on it but after a min the smoke started to rise from it again. It was not unlike what you'd expect if you were to be smited by the Lord or something strangely biblical. It's not everyday you see fire start from seemingly nowhere and start again after being stamped out.

Turned out however that what was happening was that I had left a mirror out across the room and the sunlight hitting it had reflected off the wooden floor and it had started burning. It just 2 inches from the couch. If no one had called that day I expect the couch would've gone up in smoke and my house and myself in my bed with it.

Not so much a creepy tale as there was an explanation but in those few mins before we realised what was happening it certainly felt eerie as did the realisation that I'd been very lucky that someone had called when they did.

Well now I am creeped out!
    We moved the couch around to cover the hole from the burn mark from the fire.

I just sAt down to watch Neighbours on the couch and a small waft of smoke caught my eye, it's just after happening again!!
    This time it was the sun bouncing off a mirror on someone's bag. No flame this time and only a tiny scorch mark as I saw it quickly.
    Anyone got the loan of a vat of Holy water? :/
    A few months ago I had been in bed sick but a knock came to the door and I had to get up and answer it. I had to bring the person in and sit and chat for a while.

I was sitting on the couch and so was she. As we were chatting I was vaguely aware of a slight burning smell. Then a very thin waft of smoke caught my eye. It made no sense though, neither of us smoke, nothing could be on fire, I thought I was seeing things. When I looked down over the edge of the sofa at the floor a small piece of it was illuminated, and a piece in the centre the size of a euro, was smoking and a tiny flame was starting,seemingly from absolutely nothing. It was around 2 inches from the couch. I was completely perplexed, I stamped on it but after a min the smoke started to rise from it again. It was not unlike what you'd expect if you were to be smited by the Lord or something strangely biblical. It's not everyday you see fire start from seemingly nowhere and start again after being stamped out.

Turned out however that what was happening was that I had left a mirror out across the room and the sunlight hitting it had reflected off the wooden floor and it had started burning. It just 2 inches from the couch. If no one had called that day I expect the couch would've gone up in smoke and my house and myself in my bed with it.

Not so much a creepy tale as there was an explanation but in those few mins before we realised what was happening it certainly felt eerie as did the realisation that I'd been very lucky that someone had called when they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

F**K Mirrors! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Well now I am creeped out!
    We moved the couch around to cover the hole from the burn mark from the fire.

I just sAt down to watch Neighbours on the couch and a small waft of smoke caught my eye, it's just after happening again!!
    This time it was the sun bouncing off a mirror on someone's bag. No flame this time and only a tiny scorch mark as I saw it quickly.
    Anyone got the loan of a vat of Holy water? :/

Yeah!....., No, I'm calling this one a hoax.........

The notion someone could witness the sun, not once but twice in this country.......:rolleyes:

Advertisement