Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Duff wrote: »
    That video is unsettling. I guess it is possible then, but I don't see why a bear would be walking around a campsite unnaturally on two legs but you never know.

To trick sleepy humans into thinking they are one of their friends while they steak the picnic hampers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

DanMurphy wrote: »
    Simply to protect the identity of the children involved.
    I'd rather not say any more on the subject.

The kids would probably be in their 70's now. You may be being slightly over cautious!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

I forgot this one but my nan always wanted to be cremated when she died. However when she did die there was some upset in the family on her wishes and what to do some preferred burial over cremation. Anyways, the night after she died my mum said she couldn't sleep very well and the next thing her room lit up with blue light and she heard what she calls the chains of death rattling and rattling louder and louder. She was frightened but knew what it was. Next day she told the family that they must all respect my nans wishes and it was agreed. That night she said she woke up and her room was bathed in an orange glow and no noise. She knew it was my nan at peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

So one more that did happen to me. I was very close to my grandad and he died on my birthday. When I was a baby he bought me a little Irish cottage that played Galway bay and was my night time music box. It has pride of place in my mum's cabinet and is never played with. I remember on one of his anniversaries I was breaking my heart crying in the lounge and the next thing the cottage started playing. I got an awful fright at first but then I realised it was my grandad trying to comfort me with the music box just like he did when I was small.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

So last night was the first time I experienced a form of proper sleep paralysis. I think!

I have a hiatial hernia, so I struggle with the feeling of a lump in my throat a lot - and often cant sleep right if my neck isnt perfectly supported.

Last night I was struggling to comfy myself as had a thought of "it's like something sitting on my neck" with that, something sat on my neck, my neck felt, attacked if that makes sense - and it felt like a sort of extremely heavy snake had jumped on me as there were a few grades of weight. It was extremely heavy in the end and I could only breathe through my nose, half of which was blocked.

I remained calm and after about 20-30 seconds it left slowly.

I cant remember if I could move, I wasnt scared as such, but remained very still.

A very strange experience, like, as soon as I had the thought of something sitting on my neck, something in the room went NO, THIS, is what that feels like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The story of sleep paralysis reminded me of when I was in my late teens, first year of Uni. Shared an attic space with a friend and we had a partition wall with a gap at the top which didn't quite make the angle of the roof. We used to laugh about the split room as it felt like a wooden doll's house at times

One night when asleep, I dreamt I left my body and floated right up to the ceiling. It was a weird feeling because at first I resisted but had no control of the upwards movement. The power forcing me upwards was gentle, yet strong. The arched ceiling of the attic stopped me from floating any further so I used my hands to move, scrambled about. I looked down over the partition wall and saw my room mate asleep. I felt all the nooks and crannies of the ceiling and the top corners of the attic.

A small window in the roof, which let the light in on my side of the attic, caught my attention so I moved, floated over towards it. When I looked out the window, I could feel a presence outside. It was just night air, but it turned and moved towards me like a gust of wind. The incredibly force of it came in through the window and threw me back down onto my bed. I woke up, sat bolt upright and immediately felt terrified.

The funny thing is, I remember it, every detail, the feeling of floating and the power of it, even after all these years. I have never had any experience like it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

That idea of floating reminds me of an operation as a child. I can remember screaming and screaming as they put me under.
    Then have very clear memories of floating up and dodging a mickey mouse and goofy carasel that was above the bed. I could see the operation take place as i floated up above the theater bed.

I could hear the conversations and see the doctors at work, i felt an incredible peace but then remember being rushed from my peaceful floating to get back into my bed.

I got some strange looks from my parents when i explained conversations I heard between doctors and told them where i was when i heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

DanMurphy wrote: »
    Simply to protect the identity of the children involved.
    I'd rather not say any more on the subject.

I reread your post about your house.
    I got the shivers reading it, as I do most posts on this thread!
    Really freaked me out.

The emotions you must have felt seeing your wife...

Did you have pets / animals, did they pick up an anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That year when the st stephans day storm was bad? I was living up in the Kerry mountains and it skewed my satellite dish. The private access lane was blocked and it was 3 days before anyone realised.

A large conifer had fallen across the

My landlord said he was going to cut it up and to go up later to where the wood was and collect my stranded car.
    I left it rather later than planned and it was a fair walk and by the time I got to the bridge there it was almost totally dark

And suddenly I could see anything , Staring into sheer blackness under trees. Not a flicker of light or a lessening of darkness

I felt my way ahead and was sure I was on the bridge, but then the ground dipped before me.

BLACK

Suddenly I realsied I was all but in the river;I had missed the bridge.

Terriyfing!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lillielad

Not my story but on a Celtic forum I am on, bear it mines it's April 15th two years before the Boston Marathon Bombing had happened. I think It's creepy as fcuk...

Scariest moment i have had really because it seems 100% real even though it was a dream after reading the first posts i think it may have been a controlling dream or whatever but anyway i think it was pretty * up here it is and remember this is a dream haha.

I appeared in my home town i live in now Lancaster in the middle of the city centre it was pitch black night but all of the shops were open and the lights were turned on everything going on as normal apart from there was around 100 people on one side and 100 on the other, i was on the right side with two friends i have not seen in years after looking at them we didn't say a word just smiled he was covered in a white cloak just stood staring then next minute his eyes wen't deep black and he started talking in some * up language like he was possesed.

Then everything seemed to freeze then bang bang bang the shops lights wen't out one after the other untill there was complete darkness.

Everyone screaming could hear kids cry but the intire sky was like a bottle green colour and the sun seemed 10 times closer and it was pitch black, so i have started running all i can hear is screams and the sound of the bombing sirens and police sirens.

I being to run around in the direction of my home the same way i walk home everyday yet the building had been knocked down years back and replaced the old buildings were all still there so i'm still running trying to get past hundereds of people then i look back up to the sky and all i can see now is green smoke in the air with the pitch black sun still there then people infront of me start dropping like flys one after the other until i see two people infront of me drop then finally me.

I drop to the floor i can feel my organs collapsing and i'm choking on the smoke, then i wake up out of my sleep but i still can't get out of the dream i'm still there yet part of me is telling myself i have woke up.

Still in the dream i can't get out of it then i see about 5 figures all stood above me with deep black eyes and i'm screaming at them for a code or an answe for some reason, they cary on staring not saying a word then they start talking in the same * up language again.

I'm still screaming asking them telling them i don't understand.. then they say BOSTON,BOSTON

Still on the ground i scream at them what the * do you mean ?

BOSTON THE ANNIVERSARY.. IT'S COMING.. when it does you know the answer to be one of the free!

BOOM.. wake up for real dripping in sweat even though part of me felt like i had allready woke up ages ago but * me you can't imagine how real it all felt.

I have really tried to understand just what the * this dream was and just what the * the whole Boston thing meant i think the last bit was the scariest still trying to work * out never had a dream like it.

PaoloDiCanio, Apr 15, 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I would be out for a walk for the last couple of years or so and I'd occasionally see an elderly neighbour out jogging. I remembered him being quite a nice chap when I was a kid and was quite impressed with him that he was out running every day in his retirement and looking quite well. I'd always say 'how are you Jim' and he'd give small wave as he ran past.

Surprise of surprises I heard last Autumn that he'd died and been buried weeks without any of us hearing of it and of course I was shocked and saddened. Anyway the winter came and I wasn't walking much being busy with college and the rest.

Got out for a walk during the day and my heart nearly stops as I see a vision of old Jim running towards me... at least, it wasn't Jim and it had never been Jim. Whoever it was that I had been saying 'How are you Jim' every day to I still don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

nathan99 wrote: »
    story didn't happend to me but happend to people that i trust and would have no reason to fabricate it.
    This happend last year.

These two girls from longford i think were backpacking in Peru and were in the club partying, Girl #1 and Girl #2 to keep things easy. Girl #1 met a really good looking dude in the club and went home with him from the club and left Girl #2 in the club by herself.

When Girl #1 and the dude get back to their house things get heavy as they do between two consenting adults, The dude asks if he can rub lotion over the girl and the girl complied. At this point Girl #2 who was left in the club is ringing her friend trying to found out where her friend went and why she had left her by herself. Girl #1 was thinking its wrong to leave her friend by herself in the club and told her the direction to the dudes house.

So Girl #2 gets a taxi to the house aswell and they spend the night there and leave in the morning.
    Girl #1 noticed her legs were numb the next morning so went to the hospital to check out what was happening. They ran some tests on her and found out the lotion that was applied on her was meat lotion. Meat lotion used by cannibals. This was now a police investigation so the girls told the police where the dudes house was. When the police arrived they found 3 half eaten bodies in the house and arrested the dude. talk about a close call, she would of probably been dead if her friend had also come.

This is a true story, im not a great story teller so i hope this is coherent.

Reminds me of the episode of The Simpsons where Principal Skinner & the rest of the teachers were eating all the kids on detention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

cantdecide wrote: »
    I would be out for a walk for the last couple of years or so and I'd occasionally see an elderly neighbour out jogging. I remembered him being quite a nice chap when I was a kid and was quite impressed with him that he was out running every day in his retirement and looking quite well. I'd always say 'how are you Jim' and he'd give small wave as he ran past.

Surprise of surprises I heard last Autumn that he'd died and been buried weeks without any of us hearing of it and of course I was shocked and saddened. Anyway the winter came and I wasn't walking much being busy with college and the rest.

Got out for a walk during the day and my heart nearly stops as I see a vision of old Jim running towards me... at least, it wasn't Jim and it had never been Jim. Whoever it was that I had been saying 'How are you Jim' every day to I still don't know!
    Your man probably thinks you were saying  ....Ah, your on your way to the Gym or his name is Jim .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

blinding wrote: »
    Your man probably thinks you were saying  ....Ah, your on your way to the Gym or his name is Jim .

MATT DAMON!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KM792

On the topic of something happening which precedes/succeeds an event,I was in Paris 11 years ago on a school tour and bought a multi-pack of postcards in a gift shop.Anyway one of the postcards(a Marilyn Monroe one) I particularly liked so I stuck it to the front of my wardrobe in my bedroom with blu-tac and its been there ever since.
    There have only been 2 occasions in the past 11 years where the postcard has fallen,the first happened on the same night a child in my family had been involved in a serious accident,the second on the night of the terror attacks in Paris.It should be noted that on both occasions it fell during the night so after the event rather than before it but its always kind of unnerved me,especially the coincidence considering it came from Paris and the link with the night of the terror attacks,might not freak most people out but there you go.
    Also,when I was young I was in the sitting room with my brother one night watching tv(I was about 8/9 at the time,my brother was 5).Our mother had left us alone to do some ironing upstairs and when she left we started flicking through channels before settling on the Haunting which was on at the time.Anyway we had one of those massive,old fashioned framed paintings hanging above the fireplace at the time,it had been there since we moved in and secured on the wall with nails,while we were engrossed in the film the painting fell from the wall,crashing to the floor and needless to say freaking us both out!!I remember my mother at the time saying it was just an accident and not to be too freaked by it,but I still find it so strange that it would happen during that film and when we had been left alone in the room.It was a big,sturdy painting not the type you expect to come loose and fall...anyway never got to the end of that film and don't think I'd actually have the nerve to watch it now in my mid-20s!!

Every now and then there is a banging noise from the kuchen, just down the corridor... Sounds like the cupboard door.. Only the dog is asleep in her bed which is in front of the cupboard and all the cats are in here with me. ( one of them loves to try to get in which is how i recognise the sound )

When I go down there all is quiet..

Graces7 wrote: »
    Every now and then there is a banging noise from the kuchen, just down the corridor... Sounds like the cupboard door.. Only the dog is asleep in her bed which is in front of the cupboard and all the cats are in here with me. ( one of them loves to try to get in which is how i recognise the sound )

When I go down there all is quiet..

Of course it could be what the cats were after in there trying to get out ;) but i aint taking no chances..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Graces7 wrote: »
    Every now and then there is a banging noise from the kuchen,

What's a kutchen....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

flo09 wrote: »
    While on holiday in France a few years ago we were driving to a kids indoor play centre. We got a bit lost so pulled over to double check the sat nav. No sooner had we parked up when this man approached our car. I noticed he was pulled in ahead of us. He was american but spoke to us in french. We explained we didnt speak french and then he spoke in english. After explaining we were looking for such and such a place he offered to drive to our destination so we could follow him.

He brought us to our destination but once we got there he seemed reluctant to leave us. He noticed our 3 children in the car and he seemed to second guess himself. There was another man waiting in his car for him. He kept shaking my husbands hand and then would go to walk off but then walk back again with some more small talk. He eventually left and once he did we drove off too. Very unnerving. Gives me shivers thinking about it. He was def up to something but thought better of it after seeing our children in the car.

If he was up to something, then his opportunity to do something was when he first met you. He wouldn't have led you to a more populated area with security cameras.

Perhaps he was just odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

flo09 wrote: »
    While on holiday in France a few years ago we were driving to a kids indoor play centre. We got a bit lost so pulled over to double check the sat nav. No sooner had we parked up when this man approached our car. I noticed he was pulled in ahead of us. He was american but spoke to us in french. We explained we didnt speak french and then he spoke in english. After explaining we were looking for such and such a place he offered to drive to our destination so we could follow him.

He brought us to our destination but once we got there he seemed reluctant to leave us. He noticed our 3 children in the car and he seemed to second guess himself. There was another man waiting in his car for him. He kept shaking my husbands hand and then would go to walk off but then walk back again with some more small talk. He eventually left and once he did we drove off too. Very unnerving. Gives me shivers thinking about it. He was def up to something but thought better of it after seeing our children in the car.

I would say it's likely one of the children looked the image of maybe a deceased child of his or a nephew/niece and it unnerved him but when he went to walk away he just had to double check himself, returning to the car.

• Advertisement

a hybrid Germanic word for a combination cookroom and food store of course..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

D Trent wrote: »
    I would say it's likely one of the children looked the image of maybe a deceased child of his or a nephew/niece and it unnerved him but when he went to walk away he just had to double check himself, returning to the car.

That’s one hell of an assumption

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

22 two years ago, I was sitting in our kitchen at home when I thought I was a seeing someone from the corner of my eye. When I turned and looked, nobody was there. This happened a few times and I was so unsettled by this that I left the room!

Later that night, my granny died very suddenly. After the funeral, I remarked this to my mam and she too had experienced the exact same.

Several months later, my now wife and i had picked our engagement ring. We had a low key evening and I dropped her home to her parents and I headed back to mine. On the way, I was t-boned by another car that had run a read light. I was badly injured and had to be cut from the car. I remember hearing a woman's voice and telling me to be still and I'd be ok, and a smell of perfume, and soon after remember hearing sirens from the fire brigade. Somehow my folks ended up and the scene and followed the ambulance to hospital. I told them my memory but they were adamant there was no woman at the scene, but mam was sure that she could smell the perfume from my coat and it was what my granny wore.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    That’s one hell of an assumption

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Maybe poster is in New Zealand ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

My Cousin was a tour guide in Kilkenny Castle, summer type job when studying. He says that very regularly when taking groups in to one particular room, some of the group members, all female, would start to show signs of panic, feeling like they couldnt breathe and would rush out of the room. It happened a few times a day, different groups, same room. The OPW even had the place checked n case some sort of chemical was being given off by old paintwork etc but nothing out of the ordinary was found. Some of the group members this happened to claim it was something malevolent, feeling like a hand being clamped over the mouth from behind, feeling of being throttled, weight on the chest, fear and the like but it all passed as soon as they left the room in question. So common was this that it in itself became an attraction among some communities interested in psychic stuff. Different guides saw the same things happen, different years, and still happens seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Nesta99 wrote: »
    My Cousin was a tour guide in Kilkenny Castle, summer type job when studying. He says that very regularly when taking groups in to one particular room, some of the group members, all female, would start to show signs of panic, feeling like they couldnt breathe and would rush out of the room. It happened a few times a day, different groups, same room. The OPW even had the place checked n case some sort of chemical was being given off by old paintwork etc but nothing out of the ordinary was found. Some of the group members this happened to claim it was something malevolent, feeling like a hand being clamped over the mouth from behind, feeling of being throttled, weight on the chest, fear and the like but it all passed as soon as they left the room in question. So common was this that it in itself became an attraction among some communities interested in psychic stuff. Different guides saw the same things happen, different years, and still happens seemingly.

Please can you tell us which room it was? I'd love to visit there and to see if I can detect any vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Please can you tell us which room it was? I'd love to visit there and to see if I can detect any vibes.

I really cant remember, though I do think it was basement or servants type quarters rather than one of the large reception rooms or main bedrooms.

Nesta99 wrote: »
    My Cousin was a tour guide in Kilkenny Castle, summer type job when studying. He says that very regularly when taking groups in to one particular room, some of the group members, all female, would start to show signs of panic, feeling like they couldnt breathe and would rush out of the room. It happened a few times a day, different groups, same room. The OPW even had the place checked n case some sort of chemical was being given off by old paintwork etc but nothing out of the ordinary was found. Some of the group members this happened to claim it was something malevolent, feeling like a hand being clamped over the mouth from behind, feeling of being throttled, weight on the chest, fear and the like but it all passed as soon as they left the room in question. \

I believe it totally . I love to visit ruined abbeys and churches as I explore Ireland. each has its own character. Ross Errilly is a powerful one for good

Last summer I stopped to look at a very distinctive ruined church. Wandered
    round the rough burial area, then went to enter the church and could not go in fully or pray there. Tried a few times, then apologised aloud . Oppressive and .... shudders

Of course I checked online later and sure enough, real evil had happened there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

That idea of floating reminds me of an operation as a child. I can remember screaming and screaming as they put me under. Then have very clear memories of floating up and dodging a mickey mouse and goofy carasel that was above the bed. I could see the operation take place as i floated up above the theater bed.

Don't know if its true, but did hear that some hospitals do put random stuff on top shelves / cupboard etc to validate these out-of-body experiences, as you cant see them from normal eye level... Must happen often enough for for it to be a thing...

Advertisement