Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

sirdeclan wrote: »
    So are you saying if you ring them you might still get a double set?

Hi Declan - I am saying that when I spoke to them around 3pm today (roughly), I was able to order a double set.

They recommended a GLS transfer for the coins due to value(cost ~30 euro), and I asked them if I went into the Central Bank offices tomorrow morning would I have them so as to save myself that cost. The guy advised that the Central Bank office were out of their stock allocation of double sets. I took the GLS option in the end.

About an hour later DMcL1971 said the central bank site was now calling them sold out. Either they are very on the ball (maybe they are!!) or there may be a few still floating around if you ring them

When I was talking to the guy he did not tell me they were down to their last few or anything like that. I was disputing a lost order, but eventually decided to cancel the cheque and issue a new one with what was left available to me.

Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

The fact that you were disputing an order might have helped you there. They may have decided to sell you a set that was being kept for other purposes in order to keep you happy.

As I mentioned before I think that they allocate specific numbers of sets to different channels which makes the notion of being sold out a little bit confusing. It seems there was an allocation for pre-sale over the phone last week. Then they figured out how many coins they needed for postal orders that arrived before Friday. There would be some allocate to dealers. They then allocated some to Dame St. Then the rest should be available over the phone. But I remember someone in there once telling me that they always keep a few aside in case of damaged returns and for a few very old customers with no internet access.

By the way gnf_ireland what is a GLS transfer?

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    The fact that you were disputing an order might have helped you there. They may have decided to sell you a set that was being kept for other purposes in order to keep you happy.

@DMcL1971 to be honest unlikely. They have absolutely no record of my order, so the assumption is it was lost in the postal system. Their view was that without a record of my order I really had no grounds for a dispute (and I can accept that if I am being honest). Also they gave me 2 double sets, which I assume they would not have given me if they were appeasing me
    But I remember someone in there once telling me that they always keep a few aside in case of damaged returns and for a few very old customers with no internet access.
    I did try this, asking what they would do if my original order was found - and I was 'entitled' to a 100 euro gold coin under their initial allocation rules. The guy said that he really did not know, but it would be unlikely they would be able to issue one to me. Either way, it looks like I have lost out on the 100 euro coin for the moment, barring a miracle

By the way gnf_ireland what is a GLS transfer?

@DMcL1971 sorry, delivery via a courier (GLS) as opposed to registered post with An Post. The courier is insured whereas the An Post one is not. The order was in excess of 1000 euro (two double sets and 1 each of 50 & 15), so they recommended a courier delivery. I was obviously trying to minimise cost, so asked about collecting them in person from Dame Street

• Advertisement

The Central Bank website now lists the double sets as being available again.

I don't know what's going on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gun_money

Anyone who got through on the pre order date get there credit card charged yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Guy told me it can be up to 28 days before they ship orders. Cards won't be charged until the item ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gun_money

Thanks for the reply :)

Kinda defeats the purpose of a pre order :/

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sirdeclan

The double set is up on the Central bank page again but it looks like the postal order facility isn't available. So it looks like there is still some available for a phone order or collection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sirdeclan

Anyone have any idea why the St Brendan coin in 2011 was so popular given that there was 15,000 of them minted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

signostic wrote: »

Didn't sell the first time round, some chancers

• Registered Users Posts: 12 skyknow

Just wondering, what is the best time to ring to coin department in the central bank, I have been ringing all morning and there phone just rings out

skyknow wrote: »
    Just wondering, what is the best time to ring to coin department in the central bank, I have been ringing all morning and there phone just rings out

They have quite a small department there. Only a few people. At busy times they might draft in a few extra people. But at this stage they are probably back down to the usual amount. They are probably busy packaging up all the coins that were ordered over the phone. So, unfortunatley all you can do is keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 skyknow

I got through this afternoon to them, was talking to a lovely lady on the phone, she explained how busy they are and that there is thousands of orders to be got out. I just wanted to confirm they received my postal order form and they had and it will be a couple of weeks before it will be out. she then said they are offering an extra courier service fully insured for 30 euro extra, the registered post is not insured.
    I checked an post and registered post does not insured coins, banknote, precious metals and a few other things. so it looks like if you order 3 to 4 items and pay the 10 odd euro for postage you are paying for a padded envelope and stamp !! sorry for the rant

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Spocker wrote: »

That almost seems cheap compared to some of the rubbish normally advertised there. :D

Has anyone received their coins in the post yet?

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Not yet, and my card hasn't been charged either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Every other time before now (didn't do a postal order this time) I would usually get them about 7-10 days after release.
    I would be getting worried...

Told me when I was ordering that it could be up to 28 days. Card will be charged when it's packaged for postage.

They must be rushed off their feet shipping all those coins. It has to be their biggest seller in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

The funds have come out of my account today, I went for the courier option so hopefully should have tomorrow or by mon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My friend bought a lump of commemorative coins from a site called dublin mint office, I pressume its a waste of money and is the equivalent of toy money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Pangea wrote: »
    My friend bought a lump of commemorative coins from a site called dublin mint office, I pressume its a waste of money and is the equilvant of toy money?

They aren't coins they are medals...nothing to do with central back just some company with metal fabrication machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Anyone else still awaiting their coin(s)?

My card was charged about a week and a half ago but no sign of courier yet.

Eglinton wrote: »
    Anyone else still awaiting their coin(s)?

My card was charged about a week and a half ago but no sign of courier yet.

My card was also charged over 10 days ago and I am still waiting. Will ring them again and see what's happening

Normally they charge your card on the day that they post the coins out. If you don't receive your delivery within a couple of days of being charged I would definitely ring them. I presume that they should be able to give you a tracking number.

• Advertisement

Normally they charge your card on the day that they post the coins out. If you don't receive your delivery within a couple of days of being charged I would definitely ring them. I presume that they should be able to give you a tracking number.

Yes I called them last week and they said they said it can take up to two weeks after the debit, to be delivered by courier. But yes will ring first thing tomorrow, thanks

Advertisement