Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Gun_money wrote: »
    Anyone know if they have loose UNC €2 coins at Dame Street? Or is it coin cards, proofs and bookmarks? Would be interested in getting some bags.

They are not selling bags of the commemorative coins over the counter, however they will give you a maximum of only 5 loose coins at face value.

The Central Bank have finally launched an E-Mail version of their coin mailshots. Information can be found here http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/collector/Pages/default.aspx

You can sign up to receive information by E-Mail by sending your name and E-Mail address to coinsetsnews@centralbank.ie

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Did anyone who ordered the 2016 coins over the phone on the 20th receive theirs yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but I was brought here when I searched for this.
    Does anyone know if 1c, 2c and 5c coins were put in circulation in 2015? I don't believe I've ever seen any.
    I know that from now on 1c and 2c will no longer be produced for circulation, but I didn't think that applied to last year?

The 1c, 2c and 5c coins were all in normal circulation in 2015. I gave seen a few of them. It always takes a long time for them to show up in general circulation as cash is used so little these days and there is no shortage of older coins still in circulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Thanks, I'll keep looking then. They're the only coins since 2002 that I haven't found in circulation so I wasn't sure if they existed.

Rang the CB this morning (after having received the most recent brochure/order form in the post) to put in an order for the new Silver/Gold proofs and was told that orders won't be accepted until late March at this stage, and sending in an order by post doesn't guarantee any priority, which is a bit of a bummer :(

I haven't received a brochure in the post since the Peace in Europe coin back in October. I didn't get one for the 2105 proof set or the 2016 releases. Did other people get these?

I think that they usually don't allow you to place orders until they have sent out the actual brochures for the coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I haven't received a brochure in the post since the Peace in Europe coin back in October. I didn't get one for the 2105 proof set or the 2016 releases. Did other people get these?

I think that they usually don't allow you to place orders until they have sent out the actual brochures for the coin.

I didn't receive mine either. This will be the third time I've had to sign up to the mailing list. Did you sign up to the email notification as I thought this might of stopped the brochures in the post but I haven't received the emails either.

It's almost as if they don't want to sell the coins.

Had a quick check, didn't get one for the 2015 proof or the 2016 release eitehr (other than the latest one)

Not any more apparently

• Advertisement

I just gave them a ring to check.

Apparently the last brochure that was sent out was for the 70 Years of Peace coin. At that point it was decided that they would no longer send out brochures announcing new coin releases. Instead they will still make the brochures but they will only be sent out with a coin when you have bought one.

There is one exception and that is that one more brochure will be mailed out for the Gold and Silver 1916 coins in March. After that new notifications will only be available buy being on the E-Mail list or keeping an eye on the website.

Instead they will still make the brochures but they will only be sent out with a coin when you have bought one.

Ah, you've reminded me that the latest brochure arrived with my recent €2 Proof order, not seperately

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddy cork

Has anyone got a 30 year flag 2 euro coin in their change yet. I haven't but I have got 5 of the Hibernia 2 euro coins in change. So the only one I have, arrived together with the other 22 from a dealer in Austria in January.

I have one of the 30 years of the flag coins in my pocket change at the moment and have seen a few before. I have only seen one of the Hibernia coins so far and despite the fact that it should be brand new it was actually probably the dirtiest coin I have ever received.

The Central Bank website now shows an issue date of 4th April for the 2016 Proclamation of the Irish Republic coins.

The Central Bank website now shows an issue date of 4th April for the 2016 Proclamation of the Irish Republic coins.

Anyone pulling the trigger on this lot.

That's a tough one. I do want to get them all but it is a lot to spend in one go. At those prices I don't think that they will sell too quickly, so I might get them over the course of a few months.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Got the brochure yesterday in the post for the 2016 silver and golds. Still not sure which ones to buy, don't think I'll go for the large gold.

Got the email this morning from the new mailing list about the coins being available for pre-order in limited quantities, but as of 15 mins agao when I called, all of the €100 Proof allocation is gone, "call back on Monday please"

Spocker wrote: »
    Got the email this morning from the new mailing list about the coins being available for pre-order in limited quantities, but as of 15 mins agao when I called, all of the €100 Proof allocation is gone, "call back on Monday please"

Apparently they were only selling 250 of the 1000 €100 coins in the pre-order phase. The remaining 750 will be available from Monday.

• Advertisement

Apparently they were only selling 250 of the 1000 €100 coins in the pre-order phase. The remaining 750 will be available from Monday.

Interesting, that means they pre-sold all 250 this morning/afternoon today so, and I wasn't the only one who had missed out

Took me 55mins this morning from 9:30am to get through.

So at least 250 people have 730 Euro to spare in order to buy a coin. I wonder if there are still another 750 people out their who are willing to part with that kind of money?

I wonder how many of the 250 were dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sirdeclan

Yeah, and how many were these dealers permitted to buy. Thought it was one per person. Ridiculous for genuine collectors.

Spoke to a dealer I know last week and he told me they were only going to be allowed one as well initially. Apparently they were going to be strict on this. He told me to try get one myself as he couldn't guarantee he'd be able to get any extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Anyone buy anything else?

I called at lunch time yesterday to get one of the 2 coin sets - took my details no bother, but they seemed surprised that this was all I wanted to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Wottle

Hi guys thinking of picking this up "2016 €15 Silver Proof Coin (Proclamation of the Irish Republic)"

Do these coins tend to hold their value €45? or are they just for marking an occasion or even better can their price go up?

I was also looking at the "2016 Proof Coin Set (Proclamation of the Irish Republic)"

Which would hold it's value better?

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Wottle wrote: »
    Hi guys thinking of picking this up "2016 €15 Silver Proof Coin (Proclamation of the Irish Republic)"

Do these coins tend to hold their value €45? or are they just for marking an occasion or even better can their price go up?

I was also looking at the "2016 Proof Coin Set (Proclamation of the Irish Republic)"

Which would hold it's value better?

Thanks

I wouldn't expect either of those to go up in value and if past examples are anything to go by they might well even drop. I think of this years lot of coins, the ones to go for are the single gold 100 Euro coin, the double set and the single 2 Euro proof coin. That's just my opinion.

• Advertisement

Anyone buy anything else?

I called at lunch time yesterday to get one of the 2 coin sets - took my details no bother, but they seemed surprised that this was all I wanted to buy?

Exactly which set did you ask for? They were probably surprised as everyone is calling looking for the single gold 100 Euro coin and the other golds and silvers.

Advertisement