Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    The Central Bank website is now showing the uncirculated coin set for this year. It is the third in the 'An Island Nation' series and features 'Irish Lighthouses and Irish Coast Guard'. Issue limit will be 8,000. There is no price or issue date listed.

Only here will the 2017 1 cent coin and 2017 2 cent coin can be got

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

signostic wrote: »
    Only here will the 2017 1 cent coin and 2017 2 cent coin can be got

There should also be the coin fair sets which will be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

There should also be the coin fair sets which will be cheaper.

Does anyone know how many 1 cent and 2 cent coins were minted last year?

I got a letter from the Central Bank this morning, stating that there had been complaints about the quality of the Eileen Gray coins and encouraging anyone who was not happy, to contact them. They have also updated their website with a notice a shown below.

Update to customers that purchased the 2016 €10 Silver Proof Eileen Gray commemorative coin

The Central Bank has received some limited customer feedback about the condition of this commemorative coin received. If you have any concerns about the quality or condition of the coin you received, please contact us on 1890 777 777 between 09:00 and 18:00 or email us at coinsets@centralbank.ie. The Central Bank of Ireland is committed to the highest standards of quality and we take customer feedback very seriously. While we have contacted the majority of our customers, there are a limited number of customers for whom we do not have contact details. Please contact us if you have any questions.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

I got a letter from the Central Bank this morning, stating that there had been complaints about the quality of the Eileen Gray coins and encouraging anyone who was not happy, to contact them. They have also updated their website with a notice a shown below.

Update to customers that purchased the 2016 €10 Silver Proof Eileen Gray commemorative coin

The Central Bank has received some limited customer feedback about the condition of this commemorative coin received. If you have any concerns about the quality or condition of the coin you received, please contact us on 1890 777 777 between 09:00 and 18:00 or email us at coinsets@centralbank.ie. The Central Bank of Ireland is committed to the highest standards of quality and we take customer feedback very seriously. While we have contacted the majority of our customers, there are a limited number of customers for whom we do not have contact details. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Haven't gotten that letter yet, but thats not the first time this has happened. I do appreciate the coins are the output of an automated manufacturing process, but to effectively issue a "full recall" is a black mark on their quality control process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

I got the letter in the post today. My coin looks fine as far I can tell. Just heard about it on Newstalk as well.
    Spocker wrote: »
    Haven't gotten that letter yet, but thats not the first time this has happened. I do appreciate the coins are the output of an automated manufacturing process, but to effectively issue a "full recall" is a black mark on their quality control process

I got the letter in the post today. My coin looks fine as far I can tell. Just heard about it on Newstalk as well.

Who were the manufacturers? I didn't buy this one, but the quality of several coins in the last few years had been poor, the Holland submarine comes to mind.

The increased cost, poor quality and uninteresting subject matter has put me off buying many of the new issues.

The mints are listed below. Both Eileen Gray and the Holland coin were made by Pobjoy Mint. I seem to remember a few complaints about the Lockout coin which was also Pobjoy mint.

Description|Mint
    EU Presidency|Monnaie de Paris
    William Hamilton|Monnaie de Paris
    Samuel Beckett|Mayer Mint Germany
    Ivan Mestrovic|Croatian Monetary Institute
    European Culture|Mayer Mint Germany
    Sceilig Mhichil Island|Royal Dutch Mint
    Polar Year|Munze Osterreich
    Ploughman|Mayer Mint Germany
    GAA|Royal Dutch Mint
    Gaisce|Royal Dutch Mint
    Horse|Royal Dutch Mint
    St Brendan|Mayer Mint Germany
    Celtic Cross|Mayer Mint Germany
    Salmon|Royal Dutch Mint
    Jack B Yeats|Royal Dutch Mint
    Monastic Art|Pobjoy Mint
    Michael Collins|Mint of Finland
    Hound|Royal Dutch Mint
    James Joyce|Mayer Mint Germany
    JFK|Royal Dutch Mint
    Lockout|Pobjoy Mint
    Rock of Cashel|Mayer Mint Germany
    John McCormack|Mayer Mint Germany
    2Battle of Clontarf|Mayer Mint Germany
    John Philip Holland|Pobjoy Mint
    Ernest Walton|Pobjoy Mint
    W.B. Yeats|Pobjoy Mint
    Peace In Europe|Munze Osterreich
    Proclamation of the Irish Republic|Mayer Mint Germany
    Eileen Gray|Pobjoy Mint

The mints are listed below. Both Eileen Gray and the Holland coin were made by Pobjoy Mint. I seem to remember a few complaints about the Lockout coin which was also Pobjoy mint.

You should add those details to post #1, handy place to find all the details

Anyone hear of a date yet for the 2017 Mint Set (Irish Lighthouses and Irish Coast Guard)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Spocker wrote: »
    Anyone hear of a date yet for the 2017 Mint Set (Irish Lighthouses and Irish Coast Guard)?

I haven't heard anything yet but I wasn't at the one day fair in the RDS yesterday (I forgot to post about that incidentally). I heard before hand though that the CB would be there but weren't selling anything at all. Don't know what happened in the end.

The 2017 annual mint set is going on sale in July, only 7 months late!
    In Summer there will be a 15 Euro Sir Charles Algernon Parsons coin.
    In Autumn there will be a 10 Euro Ha’penny Bridge coin.

I can't see there being much interest in any these and I am not in the slightest bit excited about them. Normally I buy each coin as it is released but now I think I will just wait until the end of the year and then order them in all one go in order to save on postage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

€29.00 for the 2017 set, but there may not be any lose sets issued this year.

420941.jpg

The new Charles A. Parsons coin will be available from the 1st Sept. Also the Central Bank's new collector site is live: www.collectorcoins.ie

426099.jpg

Blade wrote: »
    Also the Central Bank's new collector site is live: www.collectorcoins.ie

At last!

The need to change their email name to be something a bit more imaginative though!

426100.png

Ha’penny Proof announced today:

429737.png
    The Central Bank of Ireland’s 2017 €10 Silver Proof Ha’penny Coin will be available to order from 5 October 2017. This coin is part of the European Silver Programme. The cost of the coin is €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

That's a very nice coin but at €60 + €6.75 P+P it's expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

A bit expensive........ I got the second in the series of the inventor run at 44 euro and now the last one is 60 euro, that is some increase in price!!!
    That's over a third increase. Has silver gone up that much in price?

Thanos wrote: »
    A bit expensive........ I got the second in the series of the inventor run at 44 euro and now the last one is 60 euro, that is some increase in price!!!
    That's over a third increase. Has silver gone up that much in price?

The Ernest Walton coin was released on 13/01/2015 when silver was 14.56 Euro per ounce. Today it is 14.23. So almost no change in price put the coin costs have gone up from 44 to 60.

The actual bullion value for one of these coins is about 12 Euro. So the Central Bank are making a great profit even considering the minting and packaging cost. In terms of bullion value all the coins they have produced are completely worthless. They only have a collectible value and even then only if they became extremely rare or desirable for some reason. Which almost never happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Will be passing on this, even tho I would have like to have got it, but at €60 it's way overpriced
    Is the small run supposed to increase interest?

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Will be passing on this, even tho I would have like to have got it, but at €60 it's way overpriced
    Is the small run supposed to increase interest?

Nice coin, one of the nicest ones in a while, but 60e plus postage seems very expensive.
    I think the Central Bank is being greedy with the price charged, that and poorly produced coins with obscure subject matter means that sales of coins must be declining significantly.

I am on the Central Bank mailing list but didn't receive an E-Mail about this new coin. Did other people get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

I am on the Central Bank mailing list but didn't receive an E-Mail about this new coin. Did other people get one?

I didn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

sceach16 wrote: »
    I didn't either.

the same, only spotted it browsing here

Well that seems typical of their lack of efficiency. You'd think they don't want anyone to buy them.

Yes, I got it from 'coinsetsnews@centralbank.ie' on the 5th Oct

I'll drop them an E-Mail today to ask why only some of us seem to have been notified.

Apparently they are no longer E-Mailing out the newsletter to people who were on their mailing list.

If you want to receive it in future, you have to go to the new collector coin site http://www.collectorcoins.ie/, create an account, confirm the account, go back into your profile and chose the option to receive the newsletter.

Apparently they are no longer E-Mailing out the newsletter to people who were on their mailing list.

If you want to receive it in future, you have to go to the new collector coin site http://www.collectorcoins.ie/, create an account, confirm the account, go back into your profile and chose the option to receive the newsletter.
    Ah, I would likely have done that when creating my profile alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

I'll drop them an E-Mail today to ask why only some of us seem to have been notified.

You did well ! They have just sent a reminder to subscribers about the ongoing arrangements.

Thanks to coinsets and to you.

Advertisement