Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Eileen Gray €10 euro coin up next. Take my money now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Eileen Grey €10 euro coin up next. Take my money now!

Not a bad looking coin however it would be nice imo to see some variation in the actual coins (shape, size or metals) other than the subject matter. Someone known for being a design icon might have been the right person to try something new with as an experiment?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

pawrick wrote: »
    Not a bad looking coin however it would be nice imo to see some variation in the actual coins (shape, size or metals) other than the subject matter. Someone known for being a design icon might have been the right person to try something new with as an experiment?

Looks like they might just have done that with the obverse instead of the usual boring plain harp.

Designed by Sandra Deiana and struck in .925 sterling silver, this proof coin is 38.61mm in diameter and weighs 28.28g. The release is limited to 6,000 pieces. No price information yet.

395938.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Didn't even see the harp side, definitely a nice change from the norm there

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EasycomeEasygo

Anyone know whats the story with the year sets that are usually issued for the coin fair? I've seen them on ebay with the usual heavy mark-up but will they be available to buy at the fair in October?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EasycomeEasygo

Anyone know whats the story with the year sets that are usually issued for the coin fair? I've seen them on ebay with the usual heavy mark-up but will they be available to buy at the fair in October?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ireland-2016-Uncirculated-9-Coin-Set-2-Euro-Commemorative-and-1-and-2-cent-/201655089832?hash=item2ef3947aa8:g:2OgAAOSwTZ1XmiJk

These are the ones I'm on about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

No more news yet on a release date for the Eileen Gray coin or the Sir Charles Algernon Parsons.

However the Central Bank have updated their website to say.

"Across 2017 and 2018, silver proof coins will be issued to celebrate, among others, (1) Jonathan Swift, (2) Bram Stoker’s Dracula, and (3) as part of a European Programme “Iron and Glass” architectural design in Ireland."

http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/collector/Pages/default.aspx

In case it hasn't been mentioned before the next Coin fair is on 21st-23rd October in the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

Hi. Can someone hazard a guess on the current price for the CBI Silver triple set which was sold about 2 years ago. Thanks

Hi. Can someone hazard a guess on the current price for the CBI Silver triple set which was sold about 2 years ago. Thanks

I haven't seen one on sale for a while now. They were originally on sale for 130, the price then went up to near 200 but has since come back down. I would guess around 150-170. There is one up on adverts at the moment for 170.

• Advertisement

I asked at the Central Bank stand at the coin fair today and there is still no update from them on a release date for the Eileen Gray coin. Also it looks like the Sir Charles Algernon Parsons coin has been delayed until next year.

The Coin fair sets this year are just plastic Central Bank ziploc bags of uncirculated 2016 coins, there is no envelope or other packaging. There are two types, 8 coins for 10 Euro or 9 coins for 12 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I asked at the Central Bank stand at the coin fair today and there is still no update from them on a release date for the Eileen Gray coin. Also it looks like the Sir Charles Algernon Parsons coin has been delayed until next year.

The Coin fair sets this year are just plastic Central Bank ziploc bags of uncirculated 2016 coins, there is no envelope or other packaging. There are two types, 8 coins for 10 Euro or 9 coins for 12 Euro.

Got it myself, think it's a terrible poor showing from the central bank, with the mark up they have on the sets would it if killed them to add a cardboard cover. I though it was poorly laid out today and jammed in between everything. Was told the stamp & coin guys had a falling out hence the split.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

And that my friends is how you celebrate with the 100th year anniversary coinage of the Easter Rising. Couldn't be arsed even putting them in an envelope let alone one printed with at least something relating to the Rising. What an imagination these people have, every year I've seen them getting worse and more concerned about money.

In most other Eurozone Countries you can get mint sets at face value, here they want 10 Euro for coins with a face value of 3.88 and they couldn't even be bothered packaging them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, stick to real Irish Numismatics and buy older items, there's plenty there to collect and they are much better value than the crap they've been churning out since the Euro arrived. They're getting as bad as the 'Dublin Mint', the only difference is they can put a legal tender value on their coinage.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddy cork

By the way, has anyone found the Irish 2 euro commemorative 30 year flag coin in their change. I have yet to see one. Were any put into circulation ?

The Eileen Gray Coin (Europa Star) will be issued 30 November 2016.

DMcL1971 I don't know what damn format they sent the document in as there's no file extension and it's not the usual format they use. So I'll email it to you and if you can open it could you please post the retail price here for everyone. I'll be busy for the rest of the day.

Well it's about time. They have really been slow this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

You'll be tried for treason, releasing a state secret like than.

Sorry, never mind DMcL1971, I got the file open.

Yous aren't going to like this... Price is 60 Euro!

Limited to 6,000

That's a pretty hefty price for a coin that I don't reckon will be that popular. Other than the fact that it will be the first Irish coin to feature a woman. I can't see there being a lot of interest.

Blade wrote: »
    Sorry, never mind DMcL1971, I got the file open.

Yous aren't going to like this... Price is 60 Euro!

Limited to 6,000

That's shocking, it's like they are trying to drive people away.

• Advertisement

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    That's shocking, it's like they are trying to drive people away.

Hopefully that will happen and they'll start to cop on. Unfortunately they do have a monopoly!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

If it wasn't Eileen Gray I wouldn't buy it. This may the last one I buy.

I just received the E-Mail from the Central Bank. It states that "All orders for the new Eileen Gray coin will qualify for free ‘Parcel Post’ delivery within the Republic of Ireland only."

That will save me a trip in to Dame Street if they will post it for free. Though I would prefer to pick it up next time I am in town for 7.75 cheaper.

Collected the coin today and asked about the advertising leaflet, was told they didn't bother printing one for it.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    Collected the coin today and asked about the advertising leaflet, was told they didn't bother printing one for it.

They stopped printing the leaflets after the 1916 sets earlier this year; the only alternative is to signup for the email newsletter: http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/collector/Pages/default.aspx

I was told that they wanted to cut down on the cost of printing and posting out the leaflets to so many people as their mailing list contains thousand of people that never bought the coins. They said that they would still be printing a smaller number of leaflets, basically the same number as there would be coins and that they would send a leaflet out with each purchased coin.

This did not make sense to me as why would you send an advertising leaflet out when you had already sold the coin. It seems that they have instead just decided to completely stop producing leaflets and will instead rely on the E-Mail list. It took them several years from when they announced the idea of an E-Mail list until when they actually implemented one so I guess their idea of setting up the ability to buy on-line rather than by phone could also be a ways off yet.

The postman knocked on the door at 08:00 this morning with my new Eileen Gray coin. I certainly wasn't expecting it to be delivered that quick and especially not on a Saturday. I guess the Saturday postal service has already started in the run up to Xmas.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

The postman knocked on the door at 08:00 this morning with my new Eileen Gray coin. I certainly wasn't expecting it to be delivered that quick and especially not on a Saturday. I guess the Saturday postal service has already started in the run up to Xmas.

Mine arrived yesterday after ordering on Wed morning. No leaflet though.. :(

Spocker wrote: »
    Mine arrived yesterday after ordering on Wed morning. No leaflet though.. :(

When I ordered mine I asked about the leaflets and they confirmed that they will no longer be producing any. I can certainly understand it from a financial point of view but I will miss them.

• Advertisement

The Central Bank website is now showing the uncirculated coin set for this year. It is the third in the 'An Island Nation' series and features 'Irish Lighthouses and Irish Coast Guard'. Issue limit will be 8,000. There is no price or issue date listed.

Advertisement