Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Finally got through to the central bank after trying on and off for a couple of hours.
    The funds were debited from my account on the 21st of April.
    The lady on the phone said they are with the courier since Friday and that they will start delivering from tomorrow.
    Overall very disappointed with this service, received no contact whatsoever from the courier.
    Very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

I'll agree that in general the service offer by the central bank terrible.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

hexosan wrote: »
    I'll agree that in general the service offer by the central bank terrible.

I agree too, but, to be fair, after I did email regarding the debacle that was the ordering process for the most recent coins, I received an apology (by way of a replay) indicating they will take the feedback on board. My biggest gripe is not knowing when things are being dispatched, and not being sent any tracking numbers when they are available

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Eglinton wrote: »
    Anyone else still awaiting their coin(s)?

My card was charged about a week and a half ago but no sign of courier yet.

My credit card was charged on Thursday (5th) and I got my parcel in the post this morning. I declined the courier option when I was called last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Spocker wrote: »
    My credit card was charged on Thursday (5th) and I got my parcel in the post this morning. I declined the courier option when I was called last week.

I wouldn't be surprised if those who chose to use AnPost get their coins quicker. AnPost probably pick up every day from the mint whereas as the courier company might pick up less frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gun_money

So after a few calls and the right questions I got an answer. Coins were charged to credit card on the Friday and collected by GSLS. GSLS last week were in the process of sorting the packages (836 of them) And will start to deliver them next week. Those in the Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Galway should expect them around Tuesday. They will ring in advance to ensure delivery.

The CB should have communicated this process.
    I won't be using them again I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

An Post - delivered this morning, I'm in Dublin.

There's no real ideal solution. Central Bank don't send you a tracking number so you have no idea where you parcel is. AnPost is the fastest but offers no insurance. Courier offers insurance but is slower. With AnPost you might not be at home when the delivery arrives. The courier will ring you to let you know.

It's also a pain that they take your order over the phone but don't charge your card until some undefined time later meaning that you have to leave a minimum balance in your current account because you never know when the charge will appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Two coin set arrived yesterday - extremely impressed with how the coins are presented; very happy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hatchet42

is there anyone still waiting on delivery of their gold coin from the central bank of ireland,i got a phone call over 2 weeks ago asking me to pay the extra 23.15 for the insured courier service for my 100 euro coin, as id paid there initial cost for delivery of one coin by postal order plus the coin cost.they phoned me to say if delivered by on post which they had charged me for it would not be insured now i paid the extra money and im still in the dark these many weeks later, this bank is riping people of the the phone service they were providing minimum cost for a landline to there 1890 number was 5cent a minute and up to 30cent from vodaphone which cut people of after 17minutes waiting to start again ive a family member who is also waiting to here from these people, what kind of management process is in place , really annoyed

• Advertisement

Still waiting on mine. Got a phone call yesterday to say they should be going out in the next few days. I agree it's a shocking service but what do you expect from the public service.

hatchet42 wrote: »
    is there anyone still waiting on delivery of their gold coin from the central bank of ireland,i got a phone call over 2 weeks ago asking me to pay the extra 23.15 for the insured courier service for my 100 euro coin, as id paid there initial cost for delivery of one coin by postal order plus the coin cost.they phoned me to say if delivered by on post which they had charged me for it would not be insured now i paid the extra money and im still in the dark these many weeks later, this bank is riping people of the the phone service they were providing minimum cost for a landline to there 1890 number was 5cent a minute and up to 30cent from vodaphone which cut people of after 17minutes waiting to start again ive a family member who is also waiting to here from these people, what kind of management process is in place , really annoyed

If they would just communicate with their customers it would help enormously. If they gave you a ring to tell that your order has been processed and gave you a rough estimate of when it would be sent it would keep most people happy. But with the lack of communication you are left wondering if your coin was ever sent or if it was lost in the post.

When contacting them you can ring 01-2483605 instead of the 1890 number and you will get through to the same people. If you ring them they should be able to give you a tracking number so that you can see where your coin is.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    If they would just communicate with their customers it would help enormously. If they gave you a ring to tell that your order has been processed and gave you a rough estimate of when it would be sent it would keep most people happy. But with the lack of communication you are left wondering if your coin was ever sent or if it was lost in the post.

When contacting them you can ring 01-2483605 instead of the 1890 number and you will get through to the same people. If you ring them they should be able to give you a tracking number so that you can see where your coin is.

It's a joke in his day and age that they still haven't got an online ordering service or that they don't even send out an order confirmation email.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

People are starting to receive their coins now, I know of 3 lads who got theirs yesterday, so hang in there :)

It's a joke in his day and age that they still haven't got an online ordering service or that they don't even send out an order confirmation email.

hi thanks for the info, thanks for letting me know there are others in simalar positions

6 weeks ago I placed the order.
    4 weeks ago funds taken out of my account.
    several calls to the central bank, no communication from courier.
    Are these couriers delivering by foot?
    Actually I would of got the coins by now if they were.
    Crazy

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    6 weeks ago I placed the order.
    4 weeks ago funds taken out of my account.
    several calls to the central bank, no communication from courier.
    Are these couriers delivering by foot?
    Actually I would of got the coins by now if they were.
    Crazy

i was talking to somone on the phone late last week they indicated my coin was due to go to courier that day or had already gone,i never heard a thing from any courier arelative of mine got a call to say theres would be sent out in 2 weeks but was asked to pay additional charge for courier,they have sold half once coins in 2008,this extra charge was not on theree ordering litrature, there is something seriously wrong in that place its big money to pay out to have nothing in ones hand,my relative place the order in late march by fax and they are told another 2 weeks. its rough

I spoke to them a couple of times last week telling them to contact the courier that I know longer wanted the coins as some of them were meant as gifts, too late now. and asked for a full refund. the courier called this morning with my coins central bank hadn't even made contact with the courier. So I told him to take them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

I received my order from the CB today, 1 double set and the 100€ gold coin, delighted to get the 100€ one.. Delivered by An Post, I rang them, the CB on Monday and they said the order was in line to go out.

Anyone still waiting. I rang them again today and I've been told it's been followed up with the courier company. Rang the courier GSLS and I've been told the "fella" who deals with that its available but he'll be ringing me back.

• Advertisement

Anyone still waiting. I rang them again today and I've been told it's been followed up with the courier company. Rang the courier GSLS and I've been told the "fella" who deals with that its available but he'll be ringing me back.

Its a total and utter disgrace. I just got fed up with it and got my money back. Won't be buying from them again

After no one returning my call I rang back today to be informed by GSLS "yeah we have it and when would I be around so they could deliver"
    When I questioned why no one contacted me, the reply was we were getting around to it. After nearly two months

It sounds like most of the problems are being caused by GSLS. The coin collector unit usually only use AnPost. They get the coins shipped out to AnPost each day as quickly as they can. On less popular coins this isn't a problem but on more popular ones they can get a bit backed up as there are only a few people working there.

They have never previously offered a courier service but with the high value of the 1916 coins they decided to do this and it does not seem to have worked out very well at all.

GSLS arranged to deliver Saturday, no call all day.

Rang today and was told it was to be delivered and I'd be contacted by driver. Haven't received anything so far. It's getting to be a joke at this stage.

So after a mammoth wait they finally arrived. Happy with the coins not so much with the delivery service. It amazes me how badly wrong the whole system was.
    Surely there's no one else left to get them.

Congratulations Hexosan i'm glad to hear that they finally arrived. That was a ridiculous wait though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So after a mammoth wait they finally arrived. Happy with the coins not so much with the reliever service. It amazes me how badly wrong the whole system was.
    Surely there's no one else left to get them.

That is quite some wait to get them

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Shelmalier

Anyone know if CB are planning any more commemorative coins this year? Not really looking for more but keen to know. Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Shelmalier wrote: »
    Anyone know if CB are planning any more commemorative coins this year? Not really looking for more but keen to know. Thanks.

Yeah a 10 Euro silver 'Modern Europe' is due out sometime.

• Advertisement

The 'Modern Europe' coin was due out in June but has been delayed until later this year. There is also another science and inventions coin celebrating Sir Charles Algernon Parsons due in September.

Advertisement