Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    It took me about a dozen tries just to get through on the phone.

You see, yous don't have the secret number :P
    I got straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CarPark2

I called up this morning and they seemed to have lots of the 2015 proof coin sets still available. I guess the expected demand rush hasn't happened yet.

As an aside, the cost of this set seems quite high (to a non-coin collector). With the commemorative coins, I presume a lot of the cost is for the precious metals involved in making them (silver and gold). But these are standard coins, made with standard metals. I would expect to pay a premium for the fact that they are a proof set and for the nice box etc., but €80 seems a lot.

Am I missing something?

No need to explain to me that these commemorative coins always cost more than their face value, I understand that much. But most of the commemorative coins are cast in silver or gold, and so it seems easier to justify a high price tag. With coins cast in the standard metals, €80 for a set of coins with face value of €6 seems a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I just wrote a great big detailed complicated explanation of this and then lost the entire post when my internet connection went down. So the short version is yes, there is a big mark up on these sets but there is some justification for it.

First, the coins are made of the same material as the regular coins but they are minted to proof standard rather than circulation standard. They use different machines that produce better quality images and they are polished to mirror surface finish.

Second, there is only a small number of coins minted. A smaller run means a higher cost per coin.

Third, the coins are packaged in capsules, in presentation boxes and have numbered certificates. This all adds to the cost of manufacture.

Four, the coins and sets are not manufactured by the Central Bank or the Irish mint. In the case of the 2015 proof set it is made by the Austrian Mint. Who obviously will have to make a profit before they are supplied to the Central Bank.

Five, supply and demand, they can charge 80 because we will pay 80.

In relation to the commemoratives, without showing you all the maths, they silver content of our silver commemorative coins is worth around €11.20 per coin and the gold coin (eg Clontarf) is 16.20

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CarPark2

I just wrote a great big detailed complicated explanation of this and then lost the entire post when my internet connection went down. So the short version is yes, there is a big mark up on these sets but there is some justification for it.

First, the coins are made of the same material as the regular coins but they are minted to proof standard rather than circulation standard. They use different machines that produce better quality images and they are polished to mirror surface finish.

Second, there is only a small number of coins minted. A smaller run means a higher cost per coin.

Third, the coins are packaged in capsules, in presentation boxes and have numbered certificates. This all adds to the cost of manufacture.

Four, the coins and sets are not manufactured by the Central Bank or the Irish mint. In the case of the 2015 proof set it is made by the Austrian Mint. Who obviously will have to make a profit before they are supplied to the Central Bank.

Five, supply and demand, they can charge 80 because we will pay 80.

In relation to the commemoratives, without showing you all the maths, they silver content of our silver commemorative coins is worth around €11.20 per coin and the gold coin (eg Clontarf) is 16.20

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Maybe in this case the demand is not quite what they expected. With such a low number minted, it seems that most people expected them to go within the first day, but today (day 3?) there are apparently still loads left.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gun_money

I went Monday Morning, arrive just after 9am, 4 people inside waiting, went for breakfast, came back a few min to 10 still 4 inside, then 2 staff joined, so 6 waiting for them on day of issue. Apparently Staff get a discount.

I also managed to get some €2 Flag coins, two bags per person, but they were in the normal bank bags not the sealed packets you would expect??

hexosan wrote: »
    Anyone go to the central bank today. Was there any crowds. I ordered on the phone and the guy did say they werebusy but then again they usually do say that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Gun_money wrote: »

I also managed to get some €2 Flag coins, two bags per person, but they were in the normal bank bags not the sealed packets you would expect??

How many coins are in a bag.... 25? at face value?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 skyknow

hi, any dates yet for the rds coins shows this year. thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

skyknow wrote: »
    hi, any dates yet for the rds coins shows this year. thanks

International Coin Fair February 27th-28th 2016, RDS Anglesea rd.

I believe it will be the 27th and 28th of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fantafanta

Hi all. Does anyone know the details of the 2016 coin and set releases please? If you know the release dates, mintages and prices of any of the 2016 then that would be great. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

fantafanta wrote: »
    Hi all. Does anyone know the details of the 2016 coin and set releases please? If you know the release dates, mintages and prices of any of the 2016 then that would be great. Thanks.

This is where most of us get our information from : http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/collector/Pages/Coinsets.aspx

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

The Central Bank website has been updated with the 2016 coins, all available on the 20th Jan. One surprise there is the 2016 proof set is limited to 4,000 sets, I would have thought it would be more. Still a saucy €80 too
    €2 Coin Card (Proclamation of the Irish Republic)
    Ireland's first national commemorative €2 coin is available in this coin card and is the perfect way to obtain and treasure an uncirculated version of this historic coin.
    Price: €6.00 Order date: 20 January 2016

2016 €2 Uncirculated Bookmark (Proclamation of the Irish Republic)
    An uncirculated version of the 2016 €2 commemorative coin designed by Emmet Mullins is also available as a collectable bookmark.
    Price: €6.00 Order date: 20 January 2016

2016 Annual Mint Set (Proclamation of the Irish Republic)
    The Ireland Annual Mint Set for 2016 commemorates in text and pictures the events around the Easter Rising and the Proclamation of the Irish Republic. This set contains the 2016 €2 commemorative coin in addition to the eight standard circulating coins. Each coin is minted to brilliant uncirculated quality, and is packaged with a beautifully designed booklet detailing the historic events of Easter 1916.
    The 2016 Annual Mint Set has an issue limit of 50,000.
    Price: €25 Order date: 20 January 2016

2016 €2 Proof Coin (Proclamation of the Irish Republic)
    This limited edition €2 proof quality collector coin is issued in its own presentation case and is accompanied by a certificate of authenticity.
    This is a chance to own Ireland's first commemorative €2 coin in a high-quality proof. Proof coins are minted differently to a coin in general circulation, and are distinguishable by their defined, intricate and shiny appearance. To achieve this, the coins are struck twice during the minting process, are individually handled and protectively stored in order to prevent tarnishing. This is in comparison to general circulation coins which are struck once during the minting process, and are handled in bulk.
    This €2 proof coin has an issue limit of 20,000 pieces.
    Price: €15.00 Order date: 20 January 2016

2016 Proof Coin Set (Proclamation of the Irish Republic)
    This limited edition proof coin set includes the new commemorative €2 coin, in addition to the eight standard circulating coins, also in proof quality. The set is completed by a certificate of authenticity and illustrated booklet tracing the historic events of 1916.
    This 2016 proof coin set has an issue limit of 4,000 pieces.
    Price: €80 Order date: 20 January 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

8yrs we had to wait for another €100 Gold Coin. Anyone know how much its going to be?
    Makes sense €100 Gold for 1916 100th anniversary and not the usual crappy €20 gold ones.

Say they will cost a lot and very limited.

According to the website.

The following coins are due to be released:

€15 Silver Proof Coin - €45
    €50 Gold Coin (1/4 oz.) - €375
    Double Set: €15 Silver Coin and €50 Gold Coin - €430
    €100 Gold Coin (1/2 oz.) - €730

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Wonder what the issue limit will be - seem a bit on the steep side

On the Polar Year coins the issue limits on both the single gold coin and the double set were 1,000 each. Judging by the issue limits on the coins and sets that are due out next week it seems they are hoping to sell a lot more than usual. That would indicate that the issue limits might be higher. However at such high prices they are not going to sell a huge amount.

If you want to get one of each item for your collection, you are looking at 1,580.
    Even if you wanted to get just one of each coin you would have to buy the double set and the bigger gold coin, that would cost 1,160.

At those kind of prices I imagine they won't sell out too quickly, very few people will be able to afford to buy them.

Don't get me wrong I am delighted to see them issue some bigger coins and I will definitely buy them but I can't see them selling too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

On the Polar Year coins the issue limits on both the single gold coin and the double set were 1,000 each. Judging by the issue limits on the coins and sets that are due out next week it seems they are hoping to sell a lot more than usual. That would indicate that the issue limits might be higher. However at such high prices they are not going to sell a huge amount.

If you want to get one of each item for your collection, you are looking at 1,580.
    Even if you wanted to get just one of each coin you would have to buy the double set and the bigger gold coin, that would cost 1,160.

At those kind of prices I imagine they won't sell out too quickly, very few people will be able to afford to buy them.

Don't get me wrong I am delighted to see them issue some bigger coins and I will definitely buy them but I can't see them selling too quickly.

The half ounce polar €100 coin was €395. The new half ounce €100 coin is €730.

Am I missing something?

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    The half ounce polar €100 coin was €395. The new half ounce €100 coin is €730.

Am I missing something?

The price of gold in Euros per Troy Ounce is around 1,000 today in September 2008 it was around 540. So the price of gold has doubled.

According to the website.

The following coins are due to be released:

Thanks, they must of putting that up this afternoon as I never seen it this morning

Hey,
    Think there was 2000 gold Antarctic and only 1000 box sets.
    Id say they will keep the issue to 1000 for the 100 because of the price

• Advertisement

Mr CJ wrote: »
    Hey,
    Think there was 2000 gold Antarctic and only 1000 box sets.
    Id say they will keep the issue to 1000 for the 100 because of the price

The original advertising brochure for the release is not exactly clear on this. It states that there is an issue Limit of 2,000 of the gold coin and 5,000 of the silver coin.

On the double set it says that there will be a maximum of 1,000. It states that the coins will be taken from the individual issue limits. My reading of this is that there is a maximum of 1,000 double sets. Thereby leaving a maximum of 1,000 single coin gold coins and 4,000 single silver coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

The price of gold in Euros per Troy Ounce is around 1,000 today in September 2008 it was around 540. So the price of gold has doubled.

Makes it riskier to hold its value than the original coin if gold drops. So if gold returned to 2008 values that would wipe out any "Investment" value of this coin...

I managed to make a scan of the relevant page of the brochure, in case anyone is interested. Hopefully this link works:)

Polar_Year.jpg

Does anyone else think they made a total mistake with the design of the new gold and silver coins?
    Why Hibernia? A lot of people would not know about this, also there would have been much better designs they could have using.
    For such a high value coin I just think they should of putting more work into it.
    Background image of GPO would have even been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Shelmalier

I would agree. Just had a look at the design. The symbol of Hibernia originates and was more widely used in the 19th century and was less a symbol of the 20th century and even less a symbol of the Easter Rising or the early years of the Republic. The design is not very reminiscent or evocative of the period it commemorates.

The 2016 commemorative coin cards, bookmarks, annual sets and commemorative proofs all went on sale in Dame Street today. The 2016 proof sets will not go on sale until 27th January.

The 2016 Baby set has been available since 8th January.

In March the gold and silver commemoratives are due to go on sale. The details are below

Description|Mintage|Diameter|Weight|Material|Price
    15 Euro Proclamation of the Irish Republic|18,000|38.61|28.28g| Silver 925|45
    50 Euro Proclamation of the Irish Republic|5,500|22.00|0.25oz|Gold 999|375
    Double Set Proclamation of the Irish Republic|2,000||||430
    100 Euro Proclamation of the Irish Republic|1,000|28.00|0.50oz|Gold 999|730

The packaging will be wooden boxes similar to thoes of the Polar Year coins.

In June there will be a 10 Euro silver coin with the subject 'Modern 20th Century Europe'. This will be the first in a new annual series entitled 'Ages of Europe'

In September the third 15 Euro coin in the 'Irish Science and Invention' series will be released an will be dedicated to Sir Charles Algernon Parsons'.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddy cork

Just to let people know, the Irish commemorative 2 euro 2016 Hibernia coin was actually the number 231 to be brought out since 2004.( Greece's 2004 Olympic coin being the first ). If you count all 5 Germany mints the number is 295. It is the third this year after Estonia ( 100 years birth of Paul Keres) and Austria (200 years National Bank) . Andorra have said that they are going to bring out 3 , 1 in 2014 and 2 in 2015 but they have not appeared yet.

p.s. I still have not seen a 2015 30 year flag coin in circulation. When you go into the bank and ask about these coins, its as if what are you on about. How do people get jobs in banks and they have no interest in coins ?:confused:

So Paddy do you have all 295 of them yet?:)

I got one of the 30 years of the flag coins in my change for the first time last week. Mind you since I started using my debit card more frequently I rarely use cash. It seems a bit odd that the government are actively trying to push us towards a cashless society while simultaneously promoting new coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddy cork

We are getting there. Usually I buy them from a German dealer for between 3 and 5 euro. But the fewer of a coin that comes out , the higher the price.
    Another anomaly from this government is charging 40 euro for having a credit card. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gun_money

Anyone know if they have loose UNC €2 coins at Dame Street? Or is it coin cards, proofs and bookmarks? Would be interested in getting some bags.

They are in circulation. have seen a few in change.
    paddy cork wrote: »
    p.s. I still have not seen a 2015 30 year flag coin in circulation. When you go into the bank and ask about these coins, its as if what are you on about. How do people get jobs in banks and they have no interest in coins ?:confused:

Advertisement