Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭jukebox2310

Just did my weekly weigh in. Down another 3lbs this week so down to 16st 9lbs. Delighted with how January has gone with total loss for the month of 16lbs in total. A lot of my cravings for junk gone too.
    Need to bring this progress to February now and push it on from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I weighed myself this morning and I am down 1.5 pounds to 128 pounds. Really happy with that as I am making good progress. I still haven't kicked my fizzy drink habit. I usually have a can each day along with a sweet treat such as a soya chocolate pudding or some dark chocolate. I know I should chose healthier snacks but I am finding it difficult to change.

Does anybody else find that myfitness pal recommends a really low daily calorie intake. Mine is 1330 calories each day. I am eating about 1600-1700 most days. I would find it hard to get down to the 1330.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

greenfrogs wrote: »
    IDoes anybody else find that myfitness pal recommends a really low daily calorie intake. Mine is 1330 calories each day. I am eating about 1600-1700 most days. I would find it hard to get down to the 1330.

I think MFP's major weaknesses are in the calories burned for exercise (overestimated) and the calorie calculator.

The two better ones I've seen are here on boards and Scooby's Workshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

Weigh in number three today. Four pounds off so ten pounds so far. I'm expecting and know this loss can't be maintained and it will slow down but as long as its off even a half pound I will be happy. I've given myself a great start and am delighted but am really looking forward to losing the next ten.

Still plugging away, had weigh in number four and am down one pound. After last weeks big loss I felt that things might even out so to lose one pound I'm still very happy. Eleven pounds in total I can't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

18 pounds 8.2kg down so far - weight loss still going but more slowly now. Looking to get another 10 pounds off - aimg to get down down to 14 St / 196 lbs / 89 kg.

Hi guys ye are all doing so well. I put on 2 pounds this week. It is completely my own fault. Finding it hard to get back into a good eating routine. Keep craving sweets and chocolate and I keep giving in as well. I must start again tomorrow.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Hi guys ye are all doing so well. I put on 2 pounds this week. It is completely my own fault. Finding it hard to get back into a good eating routine. Keep craving sweets and chocolate and I keep giving in as well. I must start again tomorrow.

Keep going, and don't (if you are) give yourself a hard time over a little stumble. Today is a great day to start again. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Green frogs

I lost three stone last year, dropped from a size 22/24 to a 14. I still have a bit more to go. (Strength training and clean eating)

I have had many a week with small gain, many a week with no loss, a few weeks with big losses, and some with small losses.

This weightloss game is more about an attitude to overall well being and health than numbers on a scale. Keep at it and focus on the positives.(clothes fitting better, feeling fitter, even not being so tired after a days work)

Every now and then last year I would go off the rails. I would start to feel bad, but I have learnt to remind myself that that was how I USED TO LIVE!!!! Now the going off the rails parts are getting smaller and smaller.

My motto is 'it's a long game, and I am willing to play it'

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

To the ladies in this thread- have any of you noticed a change in your monthly cycle? Have no reason to worry (unless it's an immaculate conception!) but I am very late when normally regular. I have steadily lost my weight and have had no dramatic change of diet in the last few weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

newbee22 wrote: »
    To the ladies in this thread- have any of you noticed a change in your monthly cycle? Have no reason to worry (unless it's an immaculate conception!) but I am very late when normally regular. I have steadily lost my weight and have had no dramatic change of diet in the last few weeks?

Yeah, I think it's to do with your blood sugars.
    I used to have a very abnormal cycle, it was great because it was so short but it was abnormal. My period would arrive on a Thursday night, last all day Friday and be gone by Friday night.
    Since I changed my diet I have a proper cycle, I can also tell when I'm ovulating (never noticed that before), and the cycle is just normal now.
    I was late the first 2 or 3 months and my G.P. said it was nothing to worry about, just my body adjusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

newbee22 wrote: »

I've been on the pill for any weight changes in the last few years so no period changes myself but I have heard of other women who have experienced fluctuations. I believe it normally settles down and shouldn't be anything to worry about in the long run. I lost my period for a few years when I was a teenager due to anorexia and it doesn't sound like that's your problem obviously but if it stays absent for another few months it'd be worth going to a doctor to get it checked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Today I moved out of the obese BMI classification*. I am now 29.9.

Not too bad considering sometime last June I hit 33! Slow enough progress, I know, but much of that drop has been in the last four months so I've hit my stride. It's so very motivating when the weight starts to drop off. :cool:

I'm in the awkward inbetweeny clothing size stage. My size 16s will barely stay on me without a belt (mid thigh crotch-tastic), but my size 14s are a bit too tight to sit down in. But I know that I'll be in the 14s very soon. :cool:

* I know, I know, BMI isn't perfect! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I'm in the awkward inbetweeny clothing size stage. My size 16s will barely stay on me without a belt (mid thigh crotch-tastic), but my size 14s are a bit too tight to sit down in. But I know that I'll be in the 14s very soon. :cool:

Congratulations!

I hate that stage with clothes. You don't want to spend too much money on your in-betweeny sizes because you know you're going to continue losing weight but obviously you still need clothes to wear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Congratulations!

I hate that stage with clothes. You don't want to spend too much money on your in-betweeny sizes because you know you're going to continue losing weight but obviously you still need clothes to wear!

New Look and Penneys jeans FTW!

Have hit the stone off mark today. Long term goal is three stone so am a bit away but feel good. Clothes are starting to feel a little looser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Hi Ive lost two stone and I am at my optimum weight now but lose flab still remains where the fat once was. Has anyone any suggestions how to tone this? Simple sit up exercises? any variations of these? any suggestions would be much appreciated thankyou.

That's fantastic Dersawazzie. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

I've been yoyoing with this 5 pounds since last July. 2 years ago I was a stone lighter than I am now and even though I still wanted to lose a little more weight, I was feeling good. I refuse to buy bigger clothes so to get into my jeans sometimes involves doing lunges up and down the bedroom after they've been washed. I'm gonna be a stone lighter by the summer - them's the rules.

Anyone else notice that even with a stone in the difference, they're still the same clothes size? My tummy is a little more tubby but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

For me, once I put up ten pounds or more, I need to go up a size.

• Advertisement

With my clothes I have obviously gotten larger sizes which were ultimately getting snug on me. Now I've lost weight these larger sizes are now loose. However they are still large sizes so I need to not get carried away with thinking I'm a slim Jim, but aim to get my medium sized clothes to be comfortable. Trying on clothes that I haven't worn for years is a great buzz for me, I literally try them on week on week and can see improvements in how they fit me, its great incentive for me.

I started doing the 30 day shred yesterday. It's a tough workout. The fact that it's only 20 minutes is so appealing. Has anyone here done this workout before? What type of results did you see?

I want to lose about half a stone and tone up especially on my lower body. I also have plenty cellulite to lose on my thighs and bum. I know it's a long process to see results but I lack patience and motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I've lost all motivation. I haven't been to the gym since end of January. Eat okay during the week but weekends let me down. Visiting parents this weekend and haven't eaten a piece of fruit! Something embarrassing happened me yesterday, and it's because of my weight. I was rubbing moisturiser on my legs other night and the amount of cellulite on my thighs is disgusting. Why do I keep complaining and moaning about things but not actually doing anything about it? Won't someone give me a slap and tell me to cop on? I turn 30 this year and my sister is getting married but I still have 0 get up and go :-(

@purplecow1977

I'm not sure of your story so to speak on your weight loss journey but do not despair !!!
    The fact you are on here shows the desire to succeed at this. We all have blips and will face obstacles along our journeys, my own personal opinion on it is do not beat yourself up over it. Set yourself a new start date for the gym or getting back to healthy eating and do it.

As for our perceived ideas of the how we look or how we should look, again just my opinion but don't fall for the body beautiful images that are all around us. We all have things we would wish were a little less bumpy or flatter, but the most important word in there is ALL, you are not alone in feeling like that.

Make changes to the things you can, and accept those you can't. So go ahead and give it another lash !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 angela8915

Really good job on the site, Thanks for guide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Welp, guess it's time for me to return to this thread, having dropped out of it last year due to pregnancy! My baby's almost three months old now so I'm just about ready to start contemplating calories again :P I didn't actually gain weight during pregnancy due to health issues, but I've definitely put some on since he was born and have a few stone to lose overall. I'm breastfeeding and get hungry very quickly, so I need to strike a balance and make sure I'm getting everything I need. Just downloaded MyFitnessPal so looking forward to getting into the zone again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I've been off chocolate, take aways and crisps for the last two weeks. I haven't changed dramatically in the rest of my diet but I have lost 5 lbs :) I'm still craving sugar though! I usually eat a piece of fruit to get through this but I thought the sugar craving wwould have reduced by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I started tracking calories on monday using my fitness pal - 1270 a day to achieve a 2lb weight loss per week... I've had brown bread and porridge every day, also eating nuts, yoghurt and lots of fruit and veg. Put my uniform for work today and felt like it was looser than usual. Hopped on the scales when I went home at lunch and it says I lost just over half a stone... Is this even possible in such a short space of time or are the scales goosed? Also can it be healthy?? I haven't been hungry since I started eating so I haven't been starving myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Your weight will fluctuate across a week alright..and it's possible you could shed a lot of water weight initially.

Time will tell.

• Advertisement

I have had free week for myself. I lost another two pounds prior to it and was expecting to put on a bit but have stayed the same. I didn't go mad but had a few pints (a good few) but my eating was quite subdued all week, I wasn't running for chocolate or crisps. Anyway back to it after my week off and I have been perfect so its a good sign for me and my overall long term goal. Good luck to everyone giving it a go.

Advertisement