Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Today I had a breakthrough. I was in a foul mood while shopping in town and was walking to the bus stop to come home and eat my feelings when instead I popped into the IFI, saw a documentary that looked interesting so treated myself to a small glass of wine and read my book while waiting for the movie and by the time I was on my way home I was in a much better mood and for a fraction of the calories than if I had come straight home and raided the cupboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Just had two slices of toast with egg on one side and cheese on the other both melted/fried. It was so good!! So full!:D Sure it wasn't the best thing but I have an exam later on so I thought I'd treat myself. Trying to give intermittent fasting a go as well for the next few weeks along with exercising. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I need to start exercising and eating better food!! Great time to start Christmas!:pac:

Same here. I am dreading how much weight I will put on over Christmas and the new year.
    I'm currently 130 pounds. I am hoping to maintain this weight until as near to Christmas as possible although I have put on 2 pounds in the last week :(
    In the long term I am hoping to get down to 123 pounds. That last half a stone is getting really difficult to lose.

Okay, I think I've finally learned that once I start healthy eating I can't touch junk food. That not exaggerating I had one flapjack today with eggs (as my mum had made them) and I've been eating junk all day. While I eat completely clean I don't need bad food at all. All it seems to take is one to make me fall off the wagon. Even though I've been doing intermittent fasting I haven't had a craving for bad food all week until I had a flapjack. I think I just need to accept that or at least not have junk food until after a month of clean eating. Back to clean eating Monday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Precious flower

I have changed my habits slowly but surely over the coarse of the year. Still a bit more to lose but thats for next year.

Draw a line under the outbreak of junk food. You are human. You will get back on it tomorrow.

I am looking forward to a seriously low carb week ahead. Last week i ended up sick. Took time off work. Took time off training. I feel i ate all around me, yet the last week pales in comparison to my previous lifestyle.

Get back on it in the morning from the second you wake up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Same here. I am dreading how much weight I will put on over Christmas and the new year.
    I'm currently 130 pounds. I am hoping to maintain this weight until as near to Christmas as possible although I have put on 2 pounds in the last week :(
    In the long term I am hoping to get down to 123 pounds. That last half a stone is getting really difficult to lose.

Haha, that's crazy, I could have written this exact post :p Was 133 few days ago, nearly freaked out, that would have made me the heaviest I've been since August, checked again this morning, 131, back in the normal maintenance range, so the denial can continue :pac:

Okay, I think I've finally learned that once I start healthy eating I can't touch junk food. That not exaggerating I had one flapjack today with eggs (as my mum had made them) and I've been eating junk all day. While I eat completely clean I don't need bad food at all. All it seems to take is one to make me fall off the wagon. Even though I've been doing intermittent fasting I haven't had a craving for bad food all week until I had a flapjack. I think I just need to accept that or at least not have junk food until after a month of clean eating. Back to clean eating Monday!!

Back on the wagon since Thursday, hoping to really stick to it. Doing intermittent fasting as well. The weather really killing me since I can't go skipping but I'm doing yoga and strength training anyway along with other exercises without weights. Bought myself multi-seed porridge the other day since I've never tried it before (multi-seed not porridge!). I think that once thing that helps me stick to healthy eating is trying out different variations and new healthy food. :)

You are right, varying makes things far more sustainable.

I found myself getting stuck in a rud foodwise so made an effort to learn some recipies.

On my own progress, I tried on my wedding dress two weeks ago. In august it was about one and a half sizes too small. It now fits properly and needs to be taken up 2 and a half inches!

Getting married new years eve, so at the moment life is a bit crazy. Food all over the place, training - just about!! At the moment its hard tobe diligent, however thanks to the strength training and no crash dieting in the past year I am getting away with it!

Can't believe the change in me. From a size 22 to a 12, looking forward to the year ahead . Getting stronger and educating myself further re nutrition, maybe even a career change!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

How long did it take to change from a size 22 to a size 12? That's some achievement. You will look fantastic. Very well done x

How long did it take to change from a size 22 to a size 12? That's some achievement. You will look fantastic. Very well done x
    Thank you
    It took from febuary to december.

I didn't crash diet at all, so loss was slow, but steady and effective.

• Advertisement

What an inspiration. I will be logging back here in the new year. 2015 year is my year for making changes. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭carleigh

Birdie, best of luck with everything, I'm sure you will be a stunning bride.

Hope everyone has a happy and healthy Christmas. I'm going to try not to go overboard, but I'm sure I will be eating more than usual and I'm ok with that! I'll try limit the over indulging to Christmas Day......fingers crossed!

Overdone it at training last night and tonight to make up head not being in the game fully at the moment.

My wedding is new years eve, and my trainer is doing no more classes this week. So none untill mon and tuesday next week.

But he did give me kettlebells on loan, so while i will overindulge (although not on the same level as before) I predict some burpees, mountain climers, kettlebell swings, jump squats to make sure the dress still fits next week.

One thing i find great when my heads not fully there is a good long walk as early as possible in the day. Sets my mind clear and keeps me away from the table!

Happy Christmas everybody, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

The very best for your wedding Birdie086.
    Enjoy every minute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

How is everyone feeling after the Christmas day binge? I took Christmas day off from my diet and have felt sick ever since.

newbee22 wrote: »
    How is everyone feeling after the Christmas day binge? I took Christmas day off from my diet and have felt sick ever since.
    Same. Ate way too much. Like you said that point where you eat so much you feel stuffed and sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadMoonRising

Same. Ate way too much. Like you said that point where you eat so much you feel stuffed and sick!

Same. It happenes every year! Need to get back to regular eating but its so hard when it still feels like holidays :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

No gains over Christmas, thank god.

That's only because I don't like Christmas dinner much, and hate the abundance of chocolates and fizzy drinks that do be in the house at Christmas.

Phew!

I have overindulged since the beginning of December. No weighing scales but I'd imagine I'm about 14st 7 now. How embarrassing. Big wake up call needed. More rolls than a bakery at the moment :-( I turn 30 next year and my sister is getting married so it's time to change (in January!)

Well purplecow1977 it can only get better from now on !
    I've a family wedding in October 2015 and my aim is to be 3-4 stone less.
    It's not going to be easy but it will be so worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Small gain over Christmas but I'm not going to panic, back to clean eating now so the weight will be gone in a few weeks hopefully! I lost 2 stone before Christmas and hoping to have another stone lost by March.

I gained 3.5 pounds over Christmas. I am now 9 stone 7.5 pounds. I kinda expected it as I ate all around me. I am eating clean now. I hope to reduce my fizzy drink intake as that is my main downfall.

I gained over christmas and the wedding. Am probably still gonna gain over the next two weeks as we off on honeymoon but feck it.

Start back when I get back.

Have a fab honeymoon birdie086
    :)
    Congrats I'm sure yiu looked amazing !!

Got up at 6 this morning and did my HIIT with weights (8kgs each) for 15 minutes and did 25 mins of yoga. Might make this a habit at the weekend (as I did it Saturday as well) along with the bit of exercise (skipping and weights) during the week. :) Diet is holding steady for the last two weeks too.:)

After my workout around 8 o'clock I had some avocado on a slice of toast and liberte yoghurt with cinnamon and chia seed. Found myself hungry again around 11:30 to my surprise. I mean I didn't do a major amount of exercise. :confused: Still decided I have a boiled egg to tide me over until dinner time. I think toast and bread in general tends to mess with my blood sugar levels and makes me hungrier sooner even if it is just one slice and it's wholemeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

OK first post on here but thought maybe a bit of support in any form is better than none. So gave up smoking over a year ago and whilst massive weight gain hasn't happened I have gained and I was already overweight. I've decided I can do this . I need to lose 3 stone anyway and possibly more but let's take every half stone every pound at a week. So as I weigh myself I will post here even if its just a motivation point for me. I've read some amazing stories on here and I aim to be one. So its out there any advice tips all welcome, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm a man mid 40s, active (regular cyclist) so conscious of the mid life weight gain / spread. I'm a big build 6'2" and managed to get myself to just over 13.5 stones / 85 kg for a big cycle I undertook in 2012. Maintained about 14 stone plus or minus for a good while after that.

I was conscious that my weight had crept up over the past 18 months - had been concious of this from clothes etc tight fitting. Also started some very unhealthy habits on snacking - calculated about 10 biscuits a day, crisps, chocolate, snacks in work, butter on everything. Was also waking at night hungry and snacking as well. Not good.

Weighted myself 1st jan and the scales were tipping 16 stone - so just over the 101kg. It was a shock but I knew it was the case - had being struggling on the bike on weekend spins and was generally sluggish.

So all change now. Have cut this all out - gone cold turkey since 1st jan. Dropped bread as well - have pitta bread instead. Dropped bananas - great snack on a long cycle, but full of sugar as a snack.

I reckon I've cut out 1500 calories in crap that was being consuming daily - God knows what size I would be if I wasn't cycling. Coffee and night time also gone so I'm sleeping better - I leave a glass of water or orange juice beside the bed - if I wake, quick drink then back to sleep.

Weighted myself this morning 15 St 5 lbs (95kg). So about 5kg gone just by diet alone.

Will keep this going and see how I get on over the next few months - 14 stone would be a good goal.

I weighed myself this morning and I am down 1 pound. To be fair I have eaten junk food most days since my last weigh in so a pound was good going. Hopefully this will continue.

Homemade soup and a scone. Delicious! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi gang. Been putting off losing weight for too long now, but it finally dawned on me today that I don't want to be getting bigger this year.

It would depress me if I were this size this time next year, so I'm determined to eat better.

I really don't want to label it a "diet" as usually saying that word makes me feel I'm depriving myself. So, instead, I'm calling it "eating better" and making better choices.

I'll carry on cooking my meals from scratch but watching my portion sizes and limiting alcohol to one night at the weekend.
    I installed MyFitnessPal earlier..isn't it clever?!

I've been drinking lemon water for a few days now anyway-it's really refreshing.

The main shop will be tomorrow when I can get a week's supply of healthy things.

Hoping this forum can help keep me motivated.

Advertisement