Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Hi everyone! I'm new to this and a little nervous to be posting but I can see how supportive you all are of one another and it's definitely something I need to help motivate me in my weight-loss. My diet has started as of Monday.
    Here's a little bit about myself - I'm 21 years old, a female, 5"5 and weigh 10st 12lb - putting me at a size 12/14 (I'm a little in denial of the latter).
    Anyways my goal is to lose in and around 1.5/2 stone as I want to be able to fit back into the size 10 I was 2 years before. I'm currently using the MyFitnessPal app and it's brilliant - it's suggested a 1,290 calorie intake per day & I find that by logging down what I eat I'm far less likely to pick up something that would be high in calories.
    I'm a member of a gym and while I've definitely been putting off going for the last few months (work & final year of college are partially to blame) I'm aiming to go 2/3 times a week now.
    I'm just wondering if anyone here has any tips for me to try and suppress my hunger. I'm a terrible snacker - I eat more in snacks than I do meals. I've tried eating just round meals of breakfast/lunch/dinner but the stomach rumbling between those is too hard to ignore. And what are people's opinions on cheat days? I don't think I could cut out my crisps/pizza completely - would one day off hinder my weight loss goal? (obviously these would be eaten in moderation - no Dominos Mega Deal for one!)
    Anyways I'm looking forward to getting to know you all & hopefully this journey wont be as hard as I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,569 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm just wondering if anyone here has any tips for me to try and suppress my hunger. I'm a terrible snacker - I eat more in snacks than I do meals. I've tried eating just round meals of breakfast/lunch/dinner but the stomach rumbling between those is too hard to ignore. And what are people's opinions on cheat days? I don't think I could cut out my crisps/pizza completely - would one day off hinder my weight loss goal? (obviously these would be eaten in moderation - no Dominos Mega Deal for one!)
    Anyways I'm looking forward to getting to know you all & hopefully this journey wont be as hard as I thought!

What are your meals like? If you do find yourself starving and having to snack then maybe it's worth tweaking them to include something that will keep you fuller for longer.

As for 'cheat day', I like the idea of ""If it fits your 10%". If 90% of what you do, is good, then you're on the right track. If that 10% is curry chips or whatever, so be it. The more good choices you make, over time, you'll be less likely to be hankering after the bad ones.

As for snacks though, you could try some greek yoghurt. A personal favourite is Hartleys Sugar Free Jelly. A pint of it made up has something like 36 kcals.

What are your meals like? If you do find yourself starving and having to snack then maybe it's worth tweaking them to include something that will keep you fuller for longer.

As for 'cheat day', I like the idea of ""If it fits your 10%". If 90% of what you do, is good, then you're on the right track. If that 10% is curry chips or whatever, so be it. The more good choices you make, over time, you'll be less likely to be hankering after the bad ones.

As for snacks though, you could try some greek yoghurt. A personal favourite is Hartleys Sugar Free Jelly. A pint of it made up has something like 36 kcals.

Well as for meals I've found I'm eating more for lunch than I am for dinner. For example yesterday I had a plate of steamed green beans, spinach, peas and baby carrots with a poached egg and 2 slices of ham. For Dinner I just had half a tub of cully&sully chicken&veg soup and a slice of wholemeal bread. I felt equally as hungry after both but perhaps that just my body not being used to eating so much less so soon.
    I've actually eaten a couple of those small tubs of hartleys jellys & muller light yoghurt too & they're great for an after dinner treat instead of my usual handful of biscuits or 2 kit kats! - thanks for the suggestions anyways!
    I'm certainly planning to keep this diet for 6/7 days of the week and maybe on a Sunday I'll allow myself some oven chips with McDonnells curry sauce but we'll see!
    I've weighed myself on Monday, so hopefully next Monday I might see 1lb loss (if even, I wont get my hopes up!)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

Me personally when I'm on my diet I stick to it pretty much religiously.I don't allow myself a free day because I know that I have such and such coming up in no time and when these weekends happen I will allow myself whatever I want. So for example I have a communion this weekend which will turn into Sunday as well, so I've been really strict on myself.

I do have a couple of things I do to stop myself from grazing. A bowl of salad in the fridge which I prepare myself , no dressing or oils. If I feel really hungry I will go at that, sugar free Polo's are another I have in the press,. Sitting down of an evening that really stops me raiding the press. Frozen grapes are another although look these things that work for me may not be your cup of tea, but things like the jelly are a great idea as are the low fat yoghurts.

Good luck to you, keep us up to date, I've found by posting here it has kept me on the right track a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I don't know how it happened but I'm not going to question it. I'm FINALLY in the right frame of mind to do something about my weight! And I'm excited! I'm loving eating healthy and can definitely feel the difference if I have a bad day! I feel I can reign myself in if I find myself getting back into bad habits! My friend mentioned I was glowing haha so it's definitely paying off! and no, it's not a pregnancy glow :P

• Advertisement

Me personally when I'm on my diet I stick to it pretty much religiously.I don't allow myself a free day because I know that I have such and such coming up in no time and when these weekends happen I will allow myself whatever I want. So for example I have a communion this weekend which will turn into Sunday as well, so I've been really strict on myself.

I do have a couple of things I do to stop myself from grazing. A bowl of salad in the fridge which I prepare myself , no dressing or oils. If I feel really hungry I will go at that, sugar free Polo's are another I have in the press,. Sitting down of an evening that really stops me raiding the press. Frozen grapes are another although look these things that work for me may not be your cup of tea, but things like the jelly are a great idea as are the low fat yoghurts.

Good luck to you, keep us up to date, I've found by posting here it has kept me on the right track a few times.
    That's a good idea about the "cheat days" actually, I think with birthdays etc coming up I might find it difficult to resist if those days fell on one of the 6 days I would be eating well...so I may just take your advice on that! I'm already starting to feel a lot better as I'm only drinking water (I used to drink orange juice by the litre) so I'm very excited to see where this takes me!

Hey, hope everyone had a good long weekend! I've lost 9 lbs altogether at this stage! I can definitely see in my face, my legs and I have cheekbones! However, I now look like i'm wearing a swimming ring around my middle. I don't do an awful lot of ab work, but I do walk a lot and have begun Zumba classes. How can I tone up that area - my lower abdomen mostly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

loubian wrote: »
    How can I tone up that area - my lower abdomen mostly?

Don't know if this is much help to you, but I'm starting this challenge this week....don't know how effective it will be in terms of 'tone', but it will certainly strengthen your core.

(Here's another plan which is more difficult - link)

How can I tone up that area - my lower abdomen mostly?

You can't really tone it up directly, per se. Part of toning islosing bodyfat and you can't spot reduce fat, i.e. doing crucnches won't drop fat from the tummy and trice3p extensions won't tone upper arms.

The body decides when and where fat comes off when you're losing it so all you can really do is keep up the good work and it will come off eventually :)

Just don't lose sight of the fact that you've done really well in losing weight thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

In the last 6 months or so, I've been put on medication that is known to cause weight gain AND increase appetite as a side effect (no, not the contraceptive pill, that has never affected my appetite), something I cannot, not take.

I was doing fine though, till I quit smoking 5 months ago.

Half a stone up now :( haven't been this weight for about 3 years. Feel fat and miserable. I felt so bad that I considered going back to smoking because of how nicotine suppressed my appetite.

I'm scared about going to my GP to get my contraceptive prescription because she gives me dogs abuse if my weight fluctuates by so much as a pound.

Ahhh. I need to sort this.

Still eating good food, but too feckin' much because my appetite is ridiculous since I quit smokes.

So, I'm going to just eat less and deal with being hungry. Wish me luck :(

• Advertisement

I'm new here so kind of nervous.

After being unemployed for a while, inactive, and going through a tough time in general, my weight increased more than I would like. Over the past month and a half I've been attending a gym 3 - 4 times a week, which I've changed plans, focusing on a more strength-training orientated workout alongside cardio and have been trying to eat as healthy as possible - it's a lot tougher than I had thought.

Some more info about myself -
    29 year old male, 5'11, and I was just over 14 stone. Now, a month and a half later, I'm weighing just above 13 stone, but my body fat % is still higher than I'd like. In another month and a half I'm going to get my body fat measured again to see if there's any improvement at all.

Since I'm completely new to dieting and losing weight, I have no idea if losing just over a stone in a month and a half is good or not ..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

In the last 6 months or so, I've been put on medication that is known to cause weight gain AND increase appetite as a side effect (no, not the contraceptive pill, that has never affected my appetite), something I cannot, not take.

I was doing fine though, till I quit smoking 5 months ago.

Half a stone up now :( haven't been this weight for about 3 years. Feel fat and miserable. I felt so bad that I considered going back to smoking because of how nicotine suppressed my appetite.

I'm scared about going to my GP to get my contraceptive prescription because she gives me dogs abuse if my weight fluctuates by so much as a pound.

Ahhh. I need to sort this.

Still eating good food, but too feckin' much because my appetite is ridiculous since I quit smokes.

So, I'm going to just eat less and deal with being hungry. Wish me luck :(

Steady ! Get things into perspective here. Giving up smoking is more than worth putting on weight even for some time after you've given up. You've done brilliantly to give up the smokes and it should be your absolutely priority to stay off then no matter what ! If you go back smoking you'll be a smoker again AND more overweight than you've even been at the same time - the fat won't just disappear when you light up and then you'll be doubly depressed. Also , it will be even harder to give them up the second time - much harder ! Believe me I know !

Anyway suppressing your appetite is not the right strategy to loose weight. The right strategy is to change your diet to a healthier one so that even if overeat it won't have a fattening effect on you. Anyway ppl tend to overeat on bad food's because they are so tasty and addictive.

Now you don't say what foods you do eat or if you take any exercise but I think the first think you must look into is you diet so educate yourself about good nutrition and try out new healthy meals and snacks. There is a lot to learn there and it's takes a lot of time but is actually fun when you get into it. Oh and please dont' go back on the ciggies. BAD.

Edit: I was on long term medication once , actually anti-depressants. The doc told me I would put on weight. I took up a cardio and weightlifting plan at the same time and the doc was flabergasted months later to see i'd lost a good bit of weight instead of putting it on. So it's not set in stone that you WILL put on weight if you take THAT pill. IMO.

I'm not the heaviest I've ever been, thankfully! Just the heaviest I've been in a few years. Still about 11 stone lighter than my heaviest :D

I do plenty of exercise (gym four times a week, mix of cardio, weights and trx, with some swimming after), as well as walking for about 40 minutes a day and being on my feet 10 hours a day for work.

Food wise, what I eat is healthy. I'm pretty good with nutrition. I just need to cut back on things like almonds, sweet potato, brown rice and avocado. Good foods, but too many calories and I've been eating a lot of them lately!

Also, boneyarsebogman, a stone and a half in about a month is a LOT to lose. It's fairly perfect for the first month though, because weight tends to come off much quicker at the start. To lose a pound a week, you should be looking to get a deficit of 500 calories a day, either through diet or exercise, preferably both!

I'm new here so kind of nervous.

After being unemployed for a while, inactive, and going through a tough time in general, my weight increased more than I would like. Over the past month and a half I've been attending a gym 3 - 4 times a week, which I've changed plans, focusing on a more strength-training orientated workout alongside cardio and have been trying to eat as healthy as possible - it's a lot tougher than I had thought.

Some more info about myself -
    29 year old male, 5'11, and I was just over 14 stone. Now, a month and a half later, I'm weighing just above 13 stone, but my body fat % is still higher than I'd like. In another month and a half I'm going to get my body fat measured again to see if there's any improvement at all.

Since I'm completely new to dieting and losing weight, I have no idea if losing just over a stone in a month and a half is good or not ..?

14 pounds in 6 weeks is good going.

I think people see shows like Operation Transformation and think they should be losing 5 pounds a week.

If you're eating healthily and your food and lifestyle is sustainable, then that's even better.

It's a marathon, not a sprint :)

I'm not the heaviest I've ever been, thankfully! Just the heaviest I've been in a few years. Still about 11 stone lighter than my heaviest :D

I do plenty of exercise (gym four times a week, mix of cardio, weights and trx, with some swimming after), as well as walking for about 40 minutes a day and being on my feet 10 hours a day for work.

Food wise, what I eat is healthy. I'm pretty good with nutrition. I just need to cut back on things like almonds, sweet potato, brown rice and avocado. Good foods, but too many calories and I've been eating a lot of them lately!

Well if it's a simple case of your overeating healthy foods then I would suggest to you giving thought to trying out an Intermittent Fasting diet. I was only raving about my success with it just the other day www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95303771&postcount=3212

It may not be for everyone but I'm just one of those people who can eat all day long and need drastic-ish measures to reduce my calorie intake. It's not just the overall calorie reduction that helps me but the mental food-consumption-reset effect it has that I'm excited about. Like my healthy meals taste even tastier the following day and that's not just because I'm hungry. I feel that I'm naturally eating less on my eating days also.

Can anyone recommend some low calorie snacks? Stuff that I could prepare at home and bring into work. I am eating fruit now but that's bumping up my sugar intake (it's obviously better than the multiple chocolate bars I used to eat, but still..).

And also, are stomach cramps part of a diet change? I don't get them all the time, but last few times they've been quite painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I just cannot get back in the zone. :( I just can't.
    I have not gained bAck any weight, anything I've lost ive kept off but that wontbe for much longer if I don't cop on fast.

Can anyone recommend some low calorie snacks? Stuff that I could prepare at home and bring into work. I am eating fruit now but that's bumping up my sugar intake (it's obviously better than the multiple chocolate bars I used to eat, but still..).

And also, are stomach cramps part of a diet change? I don't get them all the time, but last few times they've been quite painful.

Snacking as I understand it is something you do to tide you over for your next meal when you feel you can't wait that long. A once in while occurrence. You sound like you plan to snack everyday at work as if that's what everyone does. If I were you I'd consider eliminating your snacks altogether cause they sound more like mini meals to me. I'd suggest a bag of nuts for those times you can't wait as there noting to prepare - but don't make a habit of just mulching on them everyday.

Yeah the intestinal thing is normal when you change diet not that I'm an expert on that issue. Get professinal medial advice if you feel like you can't stand up :D

I've had my two weekends and drank plenty of pints of porter, not the greatest when dieting but I had a blast. Have been a bit up after the weekends (weighed myself on the Tuesdays) and then kept track after a few days.

Well overall I'm down another 3 pounds to make a total so far of 23 pounds. I have the first of two weddings 4 weeks today, and my goal at the start of the year was 12 pounds off what I am at the minute. However I can't be unhappy at my progress and have now reset my goal for the wedding to 6 pounds, and maintain that for the wedding the weekend after.

I suppose what I'm learning is that while this diet can't be a lifestyle choice for me, aspects of it always will have to be if I'm to maintain my weight when I reach my goal.

Weighing myself at least once a week is the biggest thing I'm going to take from it, and then if I need to take care of a few pounds, that's all it will be, not some huge lifestyle change that takes over my life for what will be about a year I suspect.

Reading your stories makes me believe that we are very determined and capable of achieving what we each want. Good luck as always to everyone, keep plugging away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I had a poor weekend, definitely the worst since I started out two months ago. I was strolling it until Friday but ended up heading out for pints and also went out for more on Saturday! I wasn't in a motivated state of mind Sunday/Monday which led to a very sloppy two days if I'm being honest! I ate stuff I haven't gone near in the last eight weeks.

I was feeling okay today though ( still tired but functional ). I made up a 13 day plan this morning to take me into the June bank holiday and am just drawing day 1 to a close. Diet was spot on, I'm not long in from a jog and have to say I'm feeling much better. Lessons learned from last weekend, overdoing it on the booze doesn't do you any favors but **** happens! I think you can justify slips along the way if it's a lifestyle change, you'll win the war if you're in it for the long haul and keep the positivity going!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Sometimes ye need a day or two of going completely off the rails and feeling like crap in order to reset your priorities, both physically and mentally. If it's been a few weeks, it can be hard to remember why you're doing what you're doing and falling off the wagon for an hour or a day or whatever can give ye a good dose of cop on. All ye can do is learn from it and plan not do go there again, for a while anyway :)

Completely agree with you both. This is my choice of how to do this diet, be strict as a strict person and allow myself good times in between. Its too long a time to deny myself a complete blow out, and I personally think its good for you (well it is for me). Enjoy these moments, to whatever excess, if its a Chinese and that's it or a weekend of pints, as long as you can say time to start again, when you should do !

I keep saying to myself 'just keep plugging away son'. Its working so far.

I keep saying it but coming on here is great motivation for me, reading everyone's stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Hi all!

I'd like to join in. I'm a devil for going out for lunch everyday and while I don't eat unhealthy lunches, I have no idea how many calories I'm eating. In an effort to help this, instead of going out everyday I've decided to buy lunch and bring it in. I'd prefer to cook/prepare them myself but at the moment I can't really do that because I've limited usage of a kitchen but that should change in the next few weeks.

Hopefully this helps!

Taboola wrote: »
    Hi all!

I'd like to join in. I'm a devil for going out for lunch everyday and while I don't eat unhealthy lunches, I have no idea how many calories I'm eating. In an effort to help this, instead of going out everyday I've decided to buy lunch and bring it in. I'd prefer to cook/prepare them myself but at the moment I can't really do that because I've limited usage of a kitchen but that should change in the next few weeks.

Hopefully this helps!

Could you do one big cooking session on a Sunday? Then you'll have your weeks lunches sorted, and you'll know exactly what you're eating. Even if that's the only diet change you implement, it'll help hugely. MFP is great for tracking what you're eating.

jenizzle wrote: »
    Could you do one big cooking session on a Sunday? Then you'll have your weeks lunches sorted, and you'll know exactly what you're eating. Even if that's the only diet change you implement, it'll help hugely. MFP is great for tracking what you're eating.

How long would cooked chicken breasts last in the fridge? Would I get until Friday?

Taboola wrote: »
    How long would cooked chicken breasts last in the fridge? Would I get until Friday?

If you cooked on a Sunday? I doubt it. I've never had chicken around that long to find out though :o I'd have my stash used by Wednesday, then I'd have whatever food I froze on Sunday for lunch/dinner on Thursday and Friday.

jenizzle wrote: »
    If you cooked on a Sunday? I doubt it. I've never had chicken around that long to find out though :o I'd have my stash used by Wednesday, then I'd have whatever food I froze on Sunday for lunch/dinner on Thursday and Friday.

Yeh I didn't think it would. No option for me to freeze anything at the moment.

Lost 2.8lbs this week.

Delighted. Aiming for .5lb a week.

• Advertisement

I've upped my daily cals by 200 over the last 4 weeks, and it's scary. It's 'normal' to gain a few lbs apparently, but still, it's hard not to panic when the scale starts to rise a little.

Definitely feeling it in training though, well able to lift heavier now! Patience, patience, patience!

Advertisement