Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Down 3.5lb this week :) I think I need to eat more though, I'm often hungry and have low energy. I'm not starving myself or anything, I'm taking in more than 2000 calories a day but that's obviously not enough while I'm breastfeeding. But when I ate to appetite, I gained! It's quite the balancing act...

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭carleigh

Hi everyone, its been a while since I last checked in. All is going well for me in my maintenance phase so far, TG. Since the beginning of November I have been pretty much the same weight, give or take 3 pounds (between 119 and 116lbs....today 117lbs). I've not been able to do as much exercise as I was doing pre Christmas, but I'm trying to get out for a very brisk 5k walk at least 3 times a week so its better than nothing. Calories daily are anything from 1400 to 1600 (worse at the weekend!).

I got engaged before Christmas and we are not getting married until next year, but I bought my wedding dress last month, which was very exciting! I'm a size 8 now but I had to get a size 10 as it was off the rail. As it is right now, I need to get it altered at the waist and the bust as it is too loose, but it is allowing for me to gain a bit of weight too. I've been told its easier to take a dress in than let it out, so I'm happy enough, I just hope it doesn't compromise the style of the dress (top to toe lace, nicer than it sounds....lol).

Keep up the good work everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭jukebox2310

Last weigh in last night and now down to 15st 9lbs. 2 st 2lbs down now since 1st weigh in on January 5th. Has been tough but every week you see a drop helps motivate. Lightest I have been in 6 years and comments from people about how much wait I have lost are a great confidence booster. Hoping to be in the 14s for a family reunion in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Currently off all milk chocolate, cakes, sweets, crisps etc. and in the last 2 weeks I've lost 3 pounds. Due to weigh myself tomorrow morning actually so hopefully will have lost a bit more :)

The first few days were horrible - withdrawing from all that sugar! But I feel so much better now and my skin is in good condition. There's a lot to be said for healthy eating although I still do crave the odd sweet thing - but it's only been 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Martin Adam

You can use orlistat 120 mg daily at night with following percussion.
    stop consuming fried foods and junk food
    drink more water
    eat more fruits and cereals and fibers vegetables
    consume less oily and spicy food
    exerciser regularly for at least 1 hr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You can use orlistat 120 mg daily at night with following percussion.
    stop consuming fried foods and junk food
    drink more water
    eat more fruits and cereals and fibers vegetables
    consume less oily and spicy food
    exerciser regularly for at least 1 hr

Or just do all that minus the Orlistat.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Musefan wrote: »
    Hey all,

Never posted here before but thought I would give it a bash!

Currently trying really hard to get my weight down. I was about 16st 9 at christmas.

Concentrated my mind a little bit, and hit bang on 15st this morning. Getting back into swimming soon, so that should help! I'm good at calorie counting. I religiously use my fitness pal!

Just thought I would give a little update! This morning, I weighed 11 stone 12lbs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Musefan wrote: »
    Just thought I would give a little update! This morning, I weighed 11 stone 12lbs :)

When was your first post from? Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

loubian wrote: »
    When was your first post from? Well done!

Checked and it was last July!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok so it was Patricks weekend last weekend (as you all know :pac:) so I may have fallen off the wagon a bit - well, actually I wasn't that bad but I feel like I was. I think I was beginning to get used to no rubbish food and then I ate some and it just made me feel bad again :(

Because I was off Monday and Tuesday this week, I'm just all over the place now and I know I'm not really fully concentrating on my diet. Roll on a new week!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    Ok so it was Patricks weekend last weekend (as you all know :pac:) so I may have fallen off the wagon a bit - well, actually I wasn't that bad but I feel like I was. I think I was beginning to get used to no rubbish food and then I ate some and it just made me feel bad again :(

Because I was off Monday and Tuesday this week, I'm just all over the place now and I know I'm not really fully concentrating on my diet. Roll on a new week!

SAME. My stomach is feeling dodgy from the crap I ate, I find when I'm off my eating paternsare all over the place and the diet plan goes out the window!

I'm just getting back into a routine. Hopefully I can control myself somewhat on the weekend!

I've lost 8 lbs since 18th Feb :D delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Have finally reached the point where I'm completely fed up with my weight. I've put on about 1.5 stone in the last 2 years, and recently a few extra pounds have crept on. I'm now down to one pair of trousers for work that fit, and now those ones feel tight :( I refuse to buy a new wardrobe in the next size up, I just want to fit into my normal clothes again. I haven't been able to wear my jeans in ages :(

I already exercise a good bit, but my diet needed serious overhauling. On Tuesday, I started a new regimen of eating better (cooking my own food, focus on more veg, protein, and fruit, cut down on dairy and carbs, and cutting out sweets, junk, and alcohol). It's only been 4 days, but I want to see instant results, which I know is silly. Feeling so frustrated at the moment bc my boyfriend has gone to the pub to meet a group of our friends, but I'm staying in bc I know I'll too tempted to drink if I'm out with a group (went to the pub with boyfriend on Wed and just had Ballygowan, that was fine, but a group is different).

I just want this extra weight to be gone! And I wish I could go out for a drink! I know I should be able to go out and drink in moderation, but when I'm just starting off my clean eating plan, I need to be really strict with myself, or it all goes to sh@t!

Sorry for the rant. If anyone has any spare weight loss inspiration to share, I'd love to hear it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

cactusgal wrote: »
    Have finally reached the point where I'm completely fed up with my weight. I've put on about 1.5 stone in the last 2 years, and recently a few extra pounds have crept on. I'm now down to one pair of trousers for work that fit, and now those ones feel tight :( I refuse to buy a new wardrobe in the next size up, I just want to fit into my normal clothes again. I haven't been able to wear my jeans in ages :(

I already exercise a good bit, but my diet needed serious overhauling. On Tuesday, I started a new regimen of eating better (cooking my own food, focus on more veg, protein, and fruit, cut down on dairy and carbs, and cutting out sweets, junk, and alcohol). It's only been 4 days, but I want to see instant results, which I know is silly. Feeling so frustrated at the moment bc my boyfriend has gone to the pub to meet a group of our friends, but I'm staying in bc I know I'll too tempted to drink if I'm out with a group (went to the pub with boyfriend on Wed and just had Ballygowan, that was fine, but a group is different).

I just want this extra weight to be gone! And I wish I could go out for a drink! I know I should be able to go out and drink in moderation, but when I'm just starting off my clean eating plan, I need to be really strict with myself, or it all goes to sh@t!

Sorry for the rant. If anyone has any spare weight loss inspiration to share, I'd love to hear it!!

For me personally I find it really hard to start eating 100% healthy. Because for years it involved me saying to myself I'll start my healthy eating tomorrow but I'll have a food binge tonight. Then I'd eat healthy for a few days and give up. Then I'd start the cycle again. Instead I try to eat foods that I enjoy and are somewhat healthy. Yet if I feel like a treat then I will have it. Some days I will eat far too much but I try not to let that carry over to the next day. I have some digestive issues so am currently on a restricted diet. I don't eat that much processed food anymore except gluten free bread and breakfast cereal. Everything else is fruit, meat, fish, veg, cheese, eggs, oat crackers or rice cakes.

It doesn't seem fair that you feel you can't head out with your friends. Would you try not drinking to see how it goes? You might even enjoy it. You won't wake up with a hangover or be craving fatty foods.

I know exactly how you feel. I am sick and tired of being over weight, tired, sluggish, unhealthy and unfit. I know it's all down to me to change it but it's JUST. SO. HARD.

My mum literally every week says "I'm going on a diet" but does nothing about it. My dad lost 4 stone a few years ago but I can see he's putting a bit of weight back on. I am afraid to say it to him.

Your rant brought out my rant and it feels good to know someone is as frustrated as I am. I see skinny people all around and wonder how they do it :( I gave up chocolate for lent and lost 8 lbs but I have had it again n I just feel horrible..

Regarding the drinking, vodka and soda water is meant to be a good drink that's low in calories and apparently spares you a hangover. If you feel you need to skip the get together at the start, maybe you could try go to a dance class or some yoga - do something for you. I think we're easier on ourselves if we feel better about ourselves xx

Thanks guys. Appreciate the replies. It's nice to know we're not alone in the struggle! 8 pounds lost is brilliant, well done! X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Most people who have lost weight have been in your position, completely fed up, at the stage where they think they can't do it and unless they see instant results they just think what's the point. I know I was there.
    When I was feeling shít I used to eat shít and think it made me feel better but really, once the momentary sugar high had faded, I returned to feeling like shít and then I'd seek the sugar high again, a vicious circle.
    It took me a very long time to learn not to feed my emotions with food. When I'm feeling sad, chocolate doesn't make me feel happy, not even for a few minutes, it gives me a fake happiness and if I eat too much of it, it makes me fat and my overall health suffers, bloating, lethargy, spots etc. so no good comes from overeating it.

I began eating low carb/high fat in February 2014 and have lost just over 20kg since then. I read a few books when I was starting out, the first one was Neris and India's Idiot-proof Diet. There is loads of information available online. I find the various subreddits on reddit really helpful and if I'm ever looking for inspiration or my willpower is low I look for recipes there or look at the progresspics section.
    If I remember correctly I think I lost 4kg in the first week. Yes, a lot, if not all, of that was water weight but seeing a loss like that in your first week is seriously motivating.
    Also, within about 6 weeks of starting to eat low carb I had a friend's 40th party. I stuck with vodka and slimline tonic all night and didn't notice any fluctuation in my weight. The one thing I would say though is that your alcohol tolerance may decrease because the "soakage" you benefit from with carbs is no longer there. A friend of mine started to eat low carb towards the end of last year and had her first proper night out over Christmas, by her fourth drink she was absolutely hammered and wouldn't normally have been like that so just bear that in mind if you are normally a big drinker.

For me personally I have to go 100% all out from the start, I can't do things gradually and make small changes. You'll know yourself what suits you.

Edited to add - have a read of the Nutrition 101 sticky, all of it, lots of good, helpful information in there. Also, use the scooby calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) to calculate what you need to eat for weight loss/weight maintenance/weight gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

122.2 pounds!:eek: At 5ft, I am definitely not happy with that. The funny thing is I could feel the extra weight on me as I'm usually around 115lbs. Gotta drop it! Also, oranges at this time of year are so sweet they are actually like sweets I cannot stop eating them! I may also be overindulging on them which I know isn't great, but they are just SO nice!:D

Very very small achievement, but I started my healthy eating and exercise plan last Tues (5 days ago) and I just got on the scales this morning and I've lost 2 pounds :) It's tiny, but still helps with the motivation. Good luck to everyone, new week ahead!

Very very small achievement, but I started my healthy eating and exercise plan last Tues (5 days ago) and I just got on the scales this morning and I've lost 2 pounds :) It's tiny, but still helps with the motivation. Good luck to everyone, new week ahead!

Doesn't matter how small it is, you're progressing! Rome wasn't built in a day and your weight won't disappear overnight. That thinking has always dented my motivation, whenever I wanted to tone up and lose a bit of weight. If I didn't see results in a handful of days or a week I gave up when I have to realise that it wasn't in a week that I gained this weight so I can't expect to lose it and be all toned in a week! :) Focus on being healthy and taking one day at a time. I've really been re-evaluating how I look at my food choices I realise that having a biscuit or chocolate is not a treat. It doesn't make me feel any better. Whereas eating healthy does! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

I've just spent about two hours reading through this thread. You're all amazing!

I'm going to use this thread to re-focus and revive my own weight loss journey, if you'll have me. I've lost a fair amount of weight very gradually (November 2013 was when I initially looked in the mirror and realised "Jaysus, this is really not good"), but I've plateaued for the last few months and I want to break through that and be where I want to be with my body hopefully this summer. I am the definition of skinny fat, also, as I stupidly neglected strength training as I dropped weight, so I need to address my exercise routine also.

5' 0", female.

Highest Weight (Nov. 2013)- 149lbs
    Current Weight (April 2015)- 118lbs
    Goal Weight- 105lbs

Would be good to have the encouragement of fellow shorties too; 13 lbs doesn't sound a lot or a struggle to lose but it's definitely poundage you notice more on a petite!

Papillon87 wrote: »
    I've just spent about two hours reading through this thread. You're all amazing!

I'm going to use this thread to re-focus and revive my own weight loss journey, if you'll have me. I've lost a fair amount of weight very gradually (November 2013 was when I initially looked in the mirror and realised "Jaysus, this is really not good"), but I've plateaued for the last few months and I want to break through that and be where I want to be with my body hopefully this summer. I am the definition of skinny fat, also, as I stupidly neglected strength training as I dropped weight, so I need to address my exercise routine also.

5' 0", female.

Highest Weight (Nov. 2013)- 149lbs
    Current Weight (April 2015)- 118lbs
    Goal Weight- 105lbs

Would be good to have the encouragement of fellow shorties too; 13 lbs doesn't sound a lot or a struggle to lose but it's definitely poundage you notice more on a petite!
    Definitely the same for me. I was always usually around 115lbs but lately my weight has fluctuated to 122lbs and it really doesn't sit well on my frame. 114lbs has always been ideal, I struggle to go any lower. Losing weight at that weight is hard too as you lose it more gradually than people who are heavier so it tends to take longer to see results. Really want to drop the weight and build muscle! Congratulation on the big weight loss, that's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Definitely the same for me. I was always usually around 115lbs but lately my weight has fluctuated to 122lbs and it really doesn't sit well on my frame. 114lbs has always been ideal, I struggle to go any lower. Losing weight at that weight is hard too as you lose it more gradually than people who are heavier so it tends to take longer to see results. Really want to drop the weight and build muscle! Congratulation on the big weight loss, that's amazing!

Thanks! Still very much a work in progress but, yeah, feels good to have got rid of a fair chunk!

Glad someone can relate to petite probs! Half a stone on someone really small definitely compares, visually, I'd say to a stone or more on a taller person. Makes logical sense, really; less surface area for fat to be spread out over!

I've been 110lbs at my lowest weight. I'm naturally very small boned (under the flab) so that by no means looked "skinny" in a bad way. I wasn't extremely toned (but miles better than I am now), but even that 8lbs made a huge difference to my overall shape. I'd be happy to hit 110lb and stay there if it was a toned and honed 110lbs!

What are your plans for losing your 7lbs?

Papillon87 wrote: »
    Thanks! Still very much a work in progress but, yeah, feels good to have got rid of a fair chunk!

Glad someone can relate to petite probs! Half a stone on someone really small definitely compares, visually, I'd say to a stone or more on a taller person. Makes logical sense, really; less surface area for fat to be spread out over!

I've been 110lbs at my lowest weight. I'm naturally very small boned (under the flab) so that by no means looked "skinny" in a bad way. I wasn't extremely toned (but miles better than I am now), but even that 8lbs made a huge difference to my overall shape. I'd be happy to hit 110lb and stay there if it was a toned and honed 110lbs!

What are your plans for losing your 7lbs?

I didn't to imply you'd be too skinny :) just that I have never been to go to 110lbs or under and sustain it, though I plan to see if I can maybe down to 110lbs after I get to 115lbs (but I won't force it, just want to be healthy). That is he important thing, neither of us want to be skinny fat at that weight but healthy and toned!:) My plan, cut out the junk food and exercise on a daily basis!:p Because college takes up a significant portion of my day and I have to be up at six o'clock most days, I do a HIIT in the morning (with and without weights) as they are only 15 minutes or I come home and if I have time I skip for about a half an hour. I can't leave it too late as I'd be up all night and somedays when I come home from college I'm too lazy to exercise so I do prefer to get it out of the way in the morning. I try to squeeze in weight training even if it's just 3 sets of ten of 2 exercises or I include weights into the HIIT. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

Hi all, well after a bit of a messy few weeks I'm back on track. It started with a stag weekend, well Friday, Saturday and Sunday followed by a few weeks off track. This included Easter so a bit more temptation, anyway had to get on the scales and found 4 pounds on. Football training had stopped (playing 3 times a week) so I should have replaced my exercise.

Have started walking and a football game once a week, looking after my eating and as of this morning am back down 16 pounds since the start of the year. 3 stone was always and is the goal but I'm allowing myself to live in there when I can. Have got a communion in 3 weeks, a weekend in Cork the following weekend and 2 weddings in June, and I'm going to enjoy all of them. It will curtail my weight loss but I will get back on them scales and go again.

Good luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 donnatrust

I feel your pain Elsy I too have had an uphill battle with weight gain right around my late teens early 20s and well I guess I just let everything go to pot. Its so hard to keep on track but its good to know there is so much encouragement here. Just have to stick to the plan and keep motivating myself to keep working at it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Love the crosstrainer in the gym, I read a kindle and do it for a while 4-5 times a week. Have lost 40 lbs since last July. I call it the eating loads of vegetables diet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 terriemay

Hi there!

Feeling a bit fed up with my weight atm. I'm not overweight but I'm the heaviest I've ever been and really struggling with my confidence. I'm 5'6" and over the past 3 years I've gone from 118lb to 143lb - just over half a stone a year!!! I'm very much an all or nothing person, I'm either half starving myself or sat on the sofa crying into my jumbo-sized chocolate bar... Anyway, I'm trying to break my bad habits and get back into my old wardrobe :) lots of fruit and veg, whole grains and lean protein, and cutting back on booze and sweet stuff!

I'll weight in again on Friday, fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

Weighed this morning and four pounds off. Twenty pounds in total, one more and I'm halfway there. Hard work sticking to the plan. No bread, which is my true downfall. But that means no butter, no cheese, no mayo. So many nice things go in a sandwich, I'm better off without it at all.

Had a mad pang for Heineken on Saturday night, but with that goes snacks and hangover food the next day so delighted I stayed away from it. I will have my jars in a few weeks and then back at it. Hopefully I have another good week.

Good luck to everyone as ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I've read through the majority of this thread and there's a lot of strong minded people here doing good work and fair play to you all.

For the last 6/7 years I've had 2/3 stone on me that has put me over weight. This has been for a few different reasons and even though I was aware of it, I wasn't strong enough mentally to tackle the problem.

The day after Paddy's day, something clicked though. I was hungover and had a chinese takeaway and I just said to myself 'enough is enough'. I weighed myself and was over 13 and half stone. I've roughly dropped a stone since and 10.5 is the goal so about 2 more to go.

Last October, I bought a Nutribullet and have incorporated juice into my diet - this would mainly be spinach/kale/apple with seeds.

So I done a 10 day juice fast, nothing but juice for 10 days. I was used to juicing at the stage so I didn't find it too hard. Anyways, done the 10 days and I dropped a few pounds but more importantly it made me look at food in a completely new light and gave me a good platform to get rolling. Since then, my diet has been fairly good. I still have juice for breakfast and bring a flask of it into work.

Dinner would be a lot of veg and some lean meat ( mainly chicken ). I've stopped piling my plate full of rice/pasta and most part I've dropped that stuff, including bread/dairy ( except skimmed milk in coffee and a small wrap with my dinner :cool: ) and basically anything processed. I find the weekly shop important. If you don't buy crap then you won't it eat it, keeping your basket/trolly filled up with healthy stuff for the week at hand is the way forward and half the battle.

I've also quit smoking and have taken up e-cigarettes for the last few months, massive difference to my chest and breathing. Thanks to that change I've been able to get started on the c25k and I am loving it. Nothing like getting out into the fresh air and it's a good challenge, I'm actually looking forward to my run this evening.

The main thing is though - as others have already stated - it's not a diet but a lifestyle change. I feel there's no point in depriving yourself too much because it's just not going to work out long term. An example would be going out and having a few drinks, if you like heading out and having a few beers then do it but for the long term, why not drink a little less and switch to a bottle of light beer instead?
    Even last weekend after a few beers on the Saturday at a party, I ended up having a large pizza on the Sunday. If that was a couple of months I would have said '**** it' and went off the rails but the next day I just went back to good ways ( which is now normality ) no big deal, it's Friday now and I couldn't give a damn what crap I ate last weekend. I also know I wouldn't be at that every weekend but if it happens then move on and go again.

Things like that will make the difference long term, going on a crash diet and restricting yourself won't work and I reckon that has been my downfall in recent years. If your mentality is right and your daily routine is good then you're winning anyway, it doesn't matter if it takes 3 months or a year, the pieces will fall into place eventually and that's how I'm thinking now.

I haven't weighed myself much, I don't think it's good to get too fixated on the scales. Weighing myself every couple of weeks is enough for me but you know yourself with clothes, and people's reactions etc. A few people have said I'm looking better and some of my old clothes are starting to fit me again so that's a good boost to get. I'll weigh myself next weekend and take it from there.

Anyways, I'll throw in a few updates from time to time. Great thread this.

Advertisement