Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

Anyone else ever find that smaller losses can actually have a bigger impact on the way their body looks?
    I lost 2 kg in the first 2 weeks of May, I felt good but didn't really notice a huge difference in progress pics. I lost .5kg since last Thursday and I noticed a huge difference in progress pics.

I'm heading for the stage now where my size 16 jeans are getting quite loose and I've actually thrown out my size 18s and "fat day" clothes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Erm that's a funny way of looking at it.

A more logical way of looking at it is that by the time you had lost 2kgs you'd made some progress visually but by the time you'd lost 2.5kgs in total then that was the point where a real visual difference was noticeable. It's not like the first 2kg you lost played no part in the way you look now. Anyway, good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

This is my first time posting here, but think I'm going to start posting more frequently! I am very athletic, competing in girevoy sport (competitive kettlebell lifting). I have gained a lot of strength in the last year and a half, and put on 2kgs. I used to always sit at 54kgs naturally, went up to 56kgs but remained the same size, although an inch smaller around my waist and thighs etc.

Recently I've gone up to 58kgs, and I know that really is not much but I'm struggling to shift it. I know it's fat, my jeans are tighter, and it's getting me down. It's only 4.4 lbs like but it just won't budge. I'm 5'2" so even the smallest gain tends to show.

I know what I have to do, just wanted to rant about it. My triggers for overeating are generally stress related to college/work...I just need to take control again.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

Your last sentence is soooooo important, the battles we all have and how we deal with them is key. Gaining control as you say is ultimately the way, and for me very liberating. I'm not some sort of support group devotee (nothing wrong with that if anyone is btw) but the little things I have gained so far from losing weight (mentally) are surprising, especially for just a normal bloke.

So do as you have written, gain control, get back to the program and enjoy yourself.

Lastly we all have triggers, mine tends to be the thought of lovely pints ! Allow yourself to wander but then get straight back to being in control. My problem over the last few years has been wandering, some more wandering, followed by even more wandering.

Good luck to you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The more control you take of the decisions you make, the less likely you are to feel like a 'victim' and succumb to these forces outside of your control.

Taking ownership of your decisions makes you make better decisions.[/voice of experience] :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Thanks guys! Wise words :) I'm back to normal today eating wise, and just came home from a brilliant training session. Have to appreciate what the body can do even if I'm not 100% happy with how it looks! I'll weigh myself in about two weeks and see how I'm getting on, although I can always tell from the mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 listirine

Have been a lurker here for a while! I started to eat better in Feb and have since lost 11 lbs and am down a dress size. Feels amazing going into a shop looking for the smaller size. I've lost 10% of what I need to lose but I'm doing it slowly, a pound a week n hoping it will stay off for good. Have had a few bad days in between and I can feel the difference in my gut when I've eaten crap. Good luck to everyone else with their weight losses :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Oh I have not been eating well! :o I've been keeping up with exercise, which I suppose is better than nothing but eating badly really undoes any exercise I do. I did to give myself a few days junk food free to break the habit. At least when I tend to binge my body usually does not react well the following day which makes me aware that I need to stop eating junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Just to throw in an update. I'm no longer overweight, I've dropped nearly two stone since March and I'm JUST inside the healthy BMI bracket. All my old clothes fit at this stage which is a good boost.
    I still have over a stone to lose to get to my ideal weight, and need to get rid of some stomach fat. After that the 'maintenance battle' starts. I want to get there soon and don't plan to hit the wall with the last stone, hopefully it will be gone in the next few weeks.

The funny thing is I was on holiday two weeks ago and had a hectic week, couldn't believe that I hardly put on any weight, probably because I drank more than I ate :D

Some things I find helpful:
    Drink plenty of water.
    Get out for a few runs/walks - 3 times a week even.
    Avoid anything processed, salt is your enemy.
    Cut down on carbohydrates. I hardly eat any rice/pasta now and used to eat a truck load with my dinner. Don't miss either.
    Homemade soup is great. Stick some veg, lentils and a stock cube into a blender/juicer and heat it up on the hob. I usually have tomatoes, chillis, pepper and garlic. It fills you up, it's good for you and is very low on calories.
    Stick to bottles of light beer when you're out, pints are very heavy when you're trying to lose weight. There's 100 calories in a bottle of Corrs light compared to 240 for a pint of Heineken which is what I usually drank, big difference when you add it up over a night.

Keep up the good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

After years of feeling miserable, depressed/sorry for myself, etc, I joined the gym this morning.

I've never set foot inside a gym before but I am dying to get started.
    I've made excuse after excuse over the years, but I've bags of enthusiasm at the moment.

I have created a little mantra to repeat to myself, which is "There's nothing to be gained by going backwards, only more weight", which I think sums up how I'm feeling right now.

It's going to be hard; I'm not naive. But I want to lose weight more than I have ever wanted to in my whole life and I'm not going to give up.

Wish me luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Fussyonion I salute you and wish you well in this first momentous step on your weight loss/ gaining fitness and health journey.
    Only you can do it for you.
    Nothing tastes as good as being slim and healthy feels.
    If you don't make the changes then everything including your weight will stay the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Best of luck, beleive me you won't regret it. i joined a year ago and am far healthier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thanks so much!

I know this is a good thing and there is no reason to go backwards, and that there a whole load of pros to what I'm doing.

I can only get better/look and feel better and that I will feel proud of myself for achieving something I have wanted since I can remember.
    Only difference is, this time I really want it and I have motivation and determination.

Someone once said "you'll never succeed if you're not determined" and it's so true.
    I'll update you on my progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I thought I might resurrect this thread, since I found it quite useful last time I posted here :) Although I was much more of a lurker than a poster back then!
    If a brand new thread would be more appropriate, mods, no problem.

Background: Over Christmas and New Year's I ate, well, everything. On January 4th I weighed in at 144 pounds. I had told myself in the past that 140 was to be my absolute upper limit, so this kicked me into gear. I decided to lose somewhere between 14 and 18 pounds (F, 28, 5'7). I wanted my jeans to fit comfortable again, and maybe even go down a size.

I started back with My Fitness Pal, and started using Happy Scale as well (you log your weight regularly and it smooths out the data points, so you have a nice downward curve instead of jagged ups and downs all over the place). I've used various calculators online to figure out my calorie goals and I've stuck to that goal ~95% of the time. I think the odd break here and there is good to keep motivation going, and helps the whole process become more of a lifestyle change and less of a short-term "diet". My calorie goal changes as my weight drops.

As of this morning, I've lost 12.6 pounds in 2 months. No major changes to exercise habits; just a weekly pilates class, some physio for a manky hip and walking the dog for an hour 3-4 days a week (my partner does the other days). I've lost a couple of inches on my waist and clothes are generally either fitting better or are too big. I've had a piece of chocolate pretty much every day, takeaway once, a glass of wine or bottle of craft cider 1-2 times a week. Basically, I'm not cutting out any food type entirely. As long as it fits my calories, and I'm getting plenty of veg and protein, I can eat what I'm hungry for.

Hopefully there are some other people out there losing weight without specific programs, and we can support each other along the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Cool, I'll probably post here instead since I'm no longer following Slimming World! I was my heaviest ever after having my son last year, and lost 2.5 stone with SW. However the fat free element never really agreed with me so I started doing my own thing with MyFitnessPal. I've just signed up for a month with the Nut Coach facebook group for extra motivation and it all seems very positive, so I'm looking forward to getting on with that! According to BMI I need to lose another 4 stone but I've never been that light in my adult life so I'm just gonna see how I go!

I've been using a subreddit, r/loseit, for extra motivation too. I know that internal motivation is key, but having somewhere to check in every day helps keep me accountable. Plus, when people post about having a crappy day, it helps me realise that little blips are normal and nothing to be ashamed of.

The only problem is they work off American time :pac: so I'm asleep when most people are posting, and they're asleep when I want to share! Having a forum like this, that's active when I am, will be more use :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Very timely that this has popped up today-I've been losing weight for my wedding and had a spectacular blow out at the weekend for my hen. I find that the first couple of days after a cheat weekend like that it's quite hard to get back into the swing of things, all I want is grease and salt! I've lost about 14 pounds from my heaviest and would like to lose another 10 or so. Haven't found it too difficult, the key for me is not being too hard on myself and allowing it to come off slowly. Only thing I've completely banned is eating rubbish at work, there's always goodies and it was becoming a daily habit! Other than that I focus on eating 5 portions of veg a day and 2 fruit, I find once I've done that I'm quite full and haven't got room for cake! Exercise wise I've been running a fair bit but I want to incorporate weights a bit more as I'm fairly weak-have a long race this weekend so next week I'm going to start the weight training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

An update here, I used to post on this thread every so often.

In 2014 I lost three stone, greatly helped by a strength and conditioning class I was going to.
    In 2015 I stalled, the class I was going to got really really busy and no progress was being made on my training, my food was still ok, but I was losing interest fast, in May I found a new smaller and much cheaper class nearer to my house.

The trainers there were fantastic and although if took me a few weeks to really commit myself fully ie be honest with myself and make proper time I really got back into the whole overall changes.

Nothing is cut out completely, it's all about a healthy overall approach to life.

In august we all climbed croagh Patrick together, some faster than others but we all did it.

In October we had two full weeks of tests, all aspects of our work was tested and seeing my improvements right there in black and white. It spurred me on to really teak even more of my lifestyle.

It's coming up to a big test week again, however I won't be going flat out as I am five months pregnant - a result of the healthier lifestyle.

I am feeling great, had to take it rash for a while there, and missed a week or two but was back squatting and dead lifting last night - in my element. I wear a heart rate monitor, and keep a close eye on it, the instructors and the lads are great for keeping an eye on me to make sure I don't forget myself and go he'll for leather or pick up heavy weights off the floor.

Very long post but i am really looking to the future.

If I had any advice for anyone it would be approach your food bit by but, changing a things all the time, make a bit if time to cook( I batch cook), and find an activity that you like, for me it's weights - I suck it up and get on with the speed stuff as part of class, I love to walk - so I don't push myself to run just fifth the sake of it, I will go for a few 30/40 min walks a week, gym class three times and that's me covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Your gym class sounds great! Can I ask you which gym you go to? You can PM me if you prefer. Congrats on the weight loss and the pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

cactusgal wrote: »
    Your gym class sounds great! Can I ask you which gym you go to? You can PM me if you prefer. Congrats on the weight loss and the pregnancy!

Thank you, I still have a big more to lose but that's on hold for now!

• Advertisement

Ok, my story:

I've always been very active (dance teacher by profession and gym-goer since the age of 18), but love to eat and have a massive sweet tooth. And have become a bit too fond of wine in recent years. Coupled with getting older, working too much, and not cooking my own food, I've put on about a stone in the last two years, and I'm now the heaviest I've ever been.

Age 38, height 5'3, my typical weight is around 136-137 pounds, which is a size 10-12 dress size for me (I'm muscley, so might weigh more than other women of a similar dress size?) A few times I've lost weight and gone down to 125-128, which felt amazing (dress size 8-10).

Anyway, once the scales hit 140, it's heavy for me. But, after Christmas this year, I was 154 - a full stone over my "top weight," not good! I've had to wear leggings and stretchy clothes, and I haven't worn jeans for ages, bc I refuse to buy them in a bigger size.

Anyway, I've started a system of "5 pound rewards," where every time I lose 5 pounds, I get a non-food reward. I was 149 on the scale today, so I get my first reward - manicure and pedicure, I can't wait!

I'm logging everything on My Fitness Pal, not drinking alcohol during the week, trying to eat more veg, cutting out junk food and cutting out cheese and bread.

Trying to stay motivated, good luck to everyone!!

Anyway, I've started a system of "5 pound rewards," where every time I lose 5 pounds, I get a non-food reward. I was 149 on the scale today, so I get my first reward - manicure and pedicure, I can't wait!

I love this! I'm not far off a 15 pound loss, so maybe I should treat myself to somethings similar. A manicure would be lovely.

Consider your idea stolen ;)

jokettle wrote: »
    I love this! I'm not far off a 15 pound loss, so maybe I should treat myself to somethings similar. A manicure would be lovely.

Consider your idea stolen ;)

15 pounds is loads! You definitely deserve a reward!!!

15 pounds is loads! You definitely deserve a reward!!!

As soon as I achieve it (before April, with any luck) I'll book myself in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

Hi everyone, can I join in? I'm glad I followed this thread but previously I simply watched from the sidelines. Well this is where I'm at...
    Stay at home mam, a crawler and a two and a half year old at home plus a child at school. In the house throughout the day a great battle takes place between my temptation demons and I. I regularly find myself pulling my arm away from the press or the fridge either about to eat something that I really didn't need or worse still, didn't want. I've got two stone to lose to get to the top of my healthy BMI. I have a new temporary job starting in three weeks plus the afters of a wedding in four weeks. Right now my two bellies are sitting on my lap, it's time to get rid. After my first child I lost 4 stone, I know it can be done. I have a great off road gravel track half a mile from my house so weather permitting it's out with the two small ones and get a bit of a walk in. I do a three mile fast paced walk most evenings, exercise is no problem, grazing is the problem I need support with. I need to control random trips to the kitchen for ridiculous things like crackers and butter, bread and butter, toast with lots of butter and so on... Any tips gratefully received.

The greatest weapon in my weight loss arsenal has been My Fitness Pal. I used a few online calculators to figure out how many calories I should take on every day for a sustainable weight loss, and I stick to that. Myfitnesspal will usually tell women to stick with 1200 calories, which isn't always appropriate, so check a few different calculators. I'm on mobile right now, but I'll post links to calculators later.

I log all my food the day before I eat it. On Sundays I cook a batch of food to do me for lunches throughout the week, and my partner and I plan the weeks dinners together. I work out the calories in each portion and plug it into myfitnesspal.This way I know how my calories will be spent throughout the week. Inputting all these recipes into myfitnesspal is tedious and annoying at the beginning, but without that diary to keep an eye on my intake, i would be grazing and picking up snacks in the corner shop and being completely unaware as to how much I'm actually consuming.

I always leave room for a small piece of chocolate everyday. There are some days when I don't reach my calorie limit, and some days when I overshoot. It all balances out over the course of a week.

I don't know if you'll have time to prep meals in advance with the little ones, but even logging your food in myfitnesspal for one week, without making any changes just yet, might give you some insight into areas you can improve. The important thing is to log EVERYTHING, even the snacks or "cheats" you might feel ashamed of. No one else sees your diary. But if you're not being honest with yourself about your eating habits, you'll never see how to change for the better.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you for such good tips, it's great to hear from someone which such enthusiasm.I love when my head is in the right place anything seems possible. I'll get started on MyFitnessPal this morning. I'll focus on each day and what difference I can make that day. Iknow the effort is worth the reward so I'll keep that to the forefront of my mind as well. Ok off I go!!!

Oh, one other tip! I should have mentioned it earlier: a food scale. I got a digital one in M&S for about. €10, you can get them cheaper off amazon. This is just as important to me as myfitnesspal, because I am TERRIBLE at estimating portion sizes. I weigh everything as I cook, otherwise my calorie count would be all off.

I even weigh my knife, scoop out some peanut butter, and weigh the knife again so I know how to log the peanut butter and ryvita snacks I have occasionally! Last night I snacked on a handful of mixed nuts and I weighed it out before eating. I always weigh my cheese before packing it into my lunch for the day. It's an invaluable little gadget.

I realise the above might sound a little obsessive or neurotic. However, I know I have to be more accurate with my food than just taking the attitude of "sure feck it, be grand" because that's the attitude that saw me gain weight in the past. So, maybe consider a food scale too :)

I have a lovely old style scales on my counter which i occasionally use for baking!! So I have the tools, just need to retrain my brain.
    And I don't think you're obsessive, you're showing that with small changes and consistency you get results.
    As I said earlier, soon I'll be starting a temporary job and I thought to myself this morning, if I can give that 100%, I can give myself 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nothing wrong with weighing your food.

"If you're not assessing, you're guessing".

Advertisement