Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well I lost 6stone by December and stoped at 14 stone. It was enough for me and I just went in To maintenance mode.
    All December was just mad. I have no groceries done since end of November and I still hadn't. It was a marathon of working, drinking, eating chipper food. Was still doing cardio for the start of December 4-5 days, but I couldnt do it 2 weeks around xmas as I was working 11-12h shifts with no days off. On top of that drinking, no proper dinners, just what I could grab at work or chipper.
    Last week I resumed my walking ( don't feel like coming back to running yet) and I have already did it twice this week, so it is getting back to normal.
    So last week I just manned up and decided to weight myself in and see how much damage I did... Well turns out I lost 4kg ( 8lb +) since I weight myself last time. Which actually was more scary then joyful.
    I am 13.4 stone now and I feel good. I am just happy i am back to normalish life style after crazy busy time at work is done. I am not looking to lose more weight, but I really need to work on this "maintenance" mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Managed to squeeze in a 15 minute HIIT and 20 minutes of yoga despite my reluctance to get out of bed. Part of me really wanted to just say "Feck it" and leave it for another day even though yesterday was my rest day. But I made myself do it and as usual I felt way better after I had got it done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 banana_split

Managed to squeeze in a 15 minute HIIT and 20 minutes of yoga despite my reluctance to get out of bed. Part of me really wanted to just say "Feck it" and leave it for another day even though yesterday was my rest day. But I made myself do it and as usual I felt way better after I had got it done. :)

I'm exactly the same! I'm working on overcoming my natural laziness and am getting to the gym every day now.

Have reset my goal weight again so another 7lbs should do it...my diet it very clean now so hopefully just shaking up my gym routine will get me there.

Still haven't gotten used to the 'new' me but am enjoying shopping in all the 'skinny' shops I could never go in before (my bank account is enjoying it less though!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm exactly the same! I'm working on overcoming my natural laziness and am getting to the gym every day now.

Have reset my goal weight again so another 7lbs should do it...my diet it very clean now so hopefully just shaking up my gym routine will get me there.

Still haven't gotten used to the 'new' me but am enjoying shopping in all the 'skinny' shops I could never go in before (my bank account is enjoying it less though!!)

The thought of being able to buy clothes in smaller sizes and feeling confident in things I normally wouldn't wear is what's spurring me on.
    Cooking low fat chilli con carne with brown rice for dinner and I've had 2 litres of lemon water so far as well as eggs for brekky and soup for lunch ☺

fussyonion wrote: »
    The thought of being able to buy clothes in smaller sizes and feeling confident in things I normally wouldn't wear is what's spurring me on.
    Cooking low fat chilli con carne with brown rice for dinner and I've had 2 litres of lemon water so far as well as eggs for brekky and soup for lunch ☺

Had homemade tomato soup today myself. Such a lovely thing for a day like today, tastes amazingly good too.:)

• Advertisement

Had homemade tomato soup today myself. Such a lovely thing for a day like today, tastes amazingly good too.:)

Homemade spicy cauliflower soup iny house today! Def the weather for a lovely bowl of soup.

It's a great feeling being able to walk into any shop and be able to grab something to try on (I've gone from size 24-26 to size 12;hopefully soon size 10!) so I really notice it. 😀

Plus, my confidence has never been higher. I used to dread going out cos I always felt like the fat friend! (Can't keep me in now!!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Well done banana split that's fantastic! Enjoy the fruits of all of your hard work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

banana split, what an achievement! Keep it up! :-)

Ladies do ye have any suggestions for exercise for those cold, windy nights (tonight) when you don't want to move? Open fire burning here & just after dinner so I'm feeling quite lazy! My diet is quite good (I think) but I do want to include some exercise also.

Thanks.

(I have housemates and am conscious of 'taking over the sittingroom' with a fitness DVD or something in case they want to come in & watch tv!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's a great feeling being able to walk into any shop and be able to grab something to try on (I've gone from size 24-26 to size 12;hopefully soon size 10!) so I really notice it. 😀

Plus, my confidence has never been higher. I used to dread going out cos I always felt like the fat friend! (Can't keep me in now!!)

Wow that is amazing, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

banana split, what an achievement! Keep it up! :-)

Ladies do ye have any suggestions for exercise for those cold, windy nights (tonight) when you don't want to move? Open fire burning here & just after dinner so I'm feeling quite lazy! My diet is quite good (I think) but I do want to include some exercise also.

Thanks.

(I have housemates and am conscious of 'taking over the sittingroom' with a fitness DVD or something in case they want to come in & watch tv!)

I try and get out if I can, its hard though! but youtube is great. Pretty much anything you want is there. I run but on days I can't get out I do a Lesley Sansone walk away the pounds which is an intensive walking workout. I also use kettlebells and there are lots of those workouts there. Another good channel is Jessicasmith.tv, she has just about every kind of workout you can imagine. All free.

Thanks eviltwin

Bananasplit, that's amazing; what an achievement!
    I bet you feel fantastic going into whatever shop you want and just wearing whatever you fancy!

Had the chilli and I have to say, that brown rice isn't half bad. I thought it'd be horrible, but it wasn't.
    It was also filling, so I didn't eat all my dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I also had chilli with brown rice!

I think brown rice is great. I had a turkey fillet the last day with brown rice with pepper and cucumber. I cooked the brown rice with a vegetable stock cube in it and it added a lovely taste to the rice.

Did this today:
    , despite again wanting to stay all snug up in bed especially with my time of the month which before I would have used as an excuse not to exercise. But I did it (though I substituted the jump lunges for regular lunges as my legs would just not let me do jump lunges for some reason). Came close to vomiting :pac: nearly though I couldn't do four rounds but I pushed through it and was glad I did. Got it done in 23 minutes (ordinary lunges probably slowed me down). Your supposed to try to do it under 15 mins but still I did it!:) Did 20 mins of yoga too before that!:)
    And all before I had breakfast (not a big fan of eating and exercising hate waiting around). Had lovely home made tomato soup again today for breakfast and some Fage Greek Yoghurt! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,569 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Did this today:
    , despite again wanting to stay all snug up in bed especially with my time of the month which before I would have used as an excuse not to exercise. But I did it (though I substituted the jump lunges for regular lunges as my legs would just not let me do jump lunges for some reason). Came close to vomiting :pac: nearly though I couldn't do four rounds but I pushed through it and was glad I did. Got it done in 23 minutes (ordinary lunges probably slowed me down). Your supposed to try to do it under 15 mins but still I did it!:) Did 20 mins of yoga too before that!:)
    And all before I had breakfast (not a big fan of eating and exercising hate waiting around). Had lovely home made tomato soup again today for breakfast and some Fage Greek Yoghurt! :)

You should start a log in Fitness Logs where you can log your workouts and eating.

It's probably a better fit for it than the Weight Loss Support Thread

You should start a log in Fitness Logs where you can log your workouts and eating.

It's probably a better fit for it than the Weight Loss Support Thread
    Oh, I always thought the fitness logs were more for people who went to the gym than people who worked out at home with light dumbbells and did cardio and HIIT based stuff. :) But I'll give it ago and stop clogging this thread up, sorry!

Did this today: ....., despite again wanting to stay all snug up in bed especially with my time of the month which before I would have used as an excuse not to exercise. But I did it (though I substituted the jump lunges for regular lunges as my legs would just not let me do jump lunges for some reason). Came close to vomiting :pac: nearly though I couldn't do four rounds but I pushed through it and was glad I did. Got it done in 23 minutes (ordinary lunges probably slowed me down). Your supposed to try to do it under 15 mins but still I did it!:) Did 20 mins of yoga too before that!:)

Two things - the woman in the video looks AMAZING but her boobs don't move?!

Two things - the woman in the video looks AMAZING but her boobs don't move?!

They're implants. I am not sure if that would prevent their movement though.:pac: She's actually a really lovely person despite what her implants and scant clothing may give her the impression of being vain and self centred/ over sexual. You make as well show of what you worked so hard to get I guess!:) Her abs are incredible! :eek: And her workouts are tough going!

(How do you know she's a really lovely person?!)

most definitely show off what you can when you have worked hard for it. I could only dream of looking like that! (And even my subconscious knows better than to be so ridiculous!!!)

• Advertisement

(How do you know she's a really lovely person?!)

most definitely show off what you can when you have worked hard for it. I could only dream of looking like that! (And even my subconscious knows better than to be so ridiculous!!!)
    Well she has a Youtube channel (zuzka light) and I've been subscribed to her for a while and on Youtube she comes across as a genuinely nice person :) :

Her body fat is ridiculously low so that's why her abs are so defined (as well as follow a good diet and I'm sure having good genetics).

How are we all doing?

I woke up in a great mood this morning; think it's the fact I decided to change my lifestyle and I have to say, the MyFitnessPal app is AMAZING.
    I look forward to adding my meals and snacks to it and I really feel motivated thanks to it.

I love when it says "This item is low in fat/high in fibre" and I also got a note saying "You can eat 1000 more calories and stay within goal!" even when I'd already had muesli, sandwich and stew :)
    I have 500 calories left but I'm not hungry.

I'd like to have wine tomorrow night but I can't seem to be able to use the Search function on MyFitnessPal unless I'm actually logging my food.
    Is there a way of searching calories for wine BEFORE I have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I'd like to have wine tomorrow night but I can't seem to be able to use the Search function on MyFitnessPal unless I'm actually logging my food.
    Is there a way of searching calories for wine BEFORE I have it?
    Assuming you use the app, just search for it as if you're about to log it and then hit the little x in the top left rather than the tick to complete adding it once you've read the nutrition info.

Daemonic wrote: »
    Assuming you use the app, just search for it as if you're about to log it and then hit the little x in the top left rather than the tick to complete adding it once you've read the nutrition info.

Great stuff, thanks a lot :)

I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but I've noticed that since I've started seriously doing some yoga every single day (I'm doing a 30 days of yoga series), that I haven't had cravings or the urge to binge at all. It's very odd!:) Having an orange to me is like a sweet now, they're are delicious around this time of year! :) Going to make some banana pancakes tomorrow morning for myself (just a banana and too eggs) and egg on toast on Sunday. I'm looking forward to it as a little treat! Can't believe that I'm looking forward to something that is actually quite healthy!:p
    Hoping to keep this up. So far so good. :)

Precious, I'm the same.

I'm normally dying for a biscuit or some chocolate with my tea but since my mind's been focussed on this "eating better" lifestyle, I really don't crave it.
    I had one square of a Fruit n Nut the other day and it didn't do anything for me at all.

I've had a banana, yogurt and mixed seeds for breakfast, a tuna Nicoise salad for lunch and dinner will be half a home-made pizza and a few home-made potato wedges.

I'm going to have some wine tonight. Have a good weekend all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 24 to 12 Challenge

Hi Everyone
    I have just started a weight loss/ healthy eating regime in the hope of going from a size 24 back to a 12. This is my second week and I would love to be part of a support forum group. I have long way to go but going to break it down to bite size (pardon the pun) chunks and have so far lost 12 lbs through sheer determination and being focused. I haven't been hungry or wanted to overeat. I just don't know how long this feeling will last. Has anyone else here got a lot of weight to lose or are you all just getting rid of Christmas weight before it becomes a problem?

Hi Everyone
    I have just started a weight loss/ healthy eating regime in the hope of going from a size 24 back to a 12. This is my second week and I would love to be part of a support forum group. I have long way to go but going to break it down to bite size (pardon the pun) chunks and have so far lost 12 lbs through sheer determination and being focused. I haven't been hungry or wanted to overeat. I just don't know how long this feeling will last. Has anyone else here got a lot of weight to lose or are you all just getting rid of Christmas weight before it becomes a problem?

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a huge weightloss!

I've a few stone to lose but I'm going to do it slowly and healthily.

I'm not cutting foods out, and I am not calling it a diet.
    I've just had enough of eating crap and feeling crap after it.
    I've just eating better and making better choices.

The trick I've found is to buy foods you LIKE and not what you SHOULD be eating.
    For example, I used to hate salad, but that was because the ones I made were boring; just lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers.
    So now I make it a colourful affair; peppers, sweetcorn, red onions, cherry tomatoes, sliced chicken, radishes etc.
    Seeing all those colours on the plate is appetising.

I'm drinking lots of water and I've recently starting throwing slices of lemon and limes into the bottle so it's refreshing.

I'm eating the same dinners, just smaller portions and swapping white pasta/rice for brown varieties--I find it really fills you up more.

I can't recommend the MyFitnessPal app enough; you track your foods on it and it gives you your calories for the day. I find it invaluable.

Good luck on your journey, don't beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon, so to speak, just think of it as a healthier lifestyle and you'll soon reap the benefits!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So I finally was cloth shopping. I have not done that for about 2 years. Since I started my weight loss 6 months ago I lost 6.5 stone ( 41kg + ) and pretty much all cloths are unwearable. I got some bits there and here during 6 months time, but most of it useless now too. The only thing that still fits - socks. :pac:
    The very first problem I encountered - What size am I now?! :confused: At least I do know my pants went from 42 to 32, but what about the rest of the stuff?! I looked a bit weird in first shop as I took M, L, XL and XXL of same hoodie in to changing rooms. :pac: Well turns out I am M size now.
    I have to say it was a lot more fun to bitch and moan for the rest of the day about "Why the hell this shop does not have M size of X item", instead of "Why the hell this shop does not have XXL/XXXL size of X item!" as I did for the last 8 years. :pac:
    Weird thing is that my shoe size went from 11 to 10. So I am not sure if my show size "slimmed down" too, or I just forgot my shoe size. :pac:
    So I spent a fortune today, but I finally got something to wear. Got a few items of L size and they do feel and look a bit too big, but still good! Then I got a T-shirt size S by mistake and it actually fits me nicely, in a slim fit way. :o
    In a good mood all day today, even had Burger King before going back home with buddy. I did do my 5.2miles after, so I am all good and still in green!

Funny enough when I started my weight loss I would have a little chats in my head like this: "Future me, ya jammy bastard, you better be grateful for all my hard work and suffering I am going through now!!!". Today I was like: "Jaysus, Past me, Thanks!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

ShadowHearth that is amazing. It is so nice to go shopping and actually feel that you look good in your new clothes and to go home feeling happy. Before clothes shopping used have me nearly in tears and I'd end up buying clothes just because I needed them rather than actually liking what I was buying. I hope you have plenty more happy shopping trips.

I still have a bit of weight to lose and I think the chats in your head to your future self is a really good idea. I am definitely stealing it. It will remind me when I am exercising and am feeling the burn why I am doing it, it's because I want a healthy, toned body.

Advertisement