Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Hi all, been months since I've last posted here. 17st10lbs in Feb. 44yo and 5'8 in height so well over weight. Haven't weighed in months but may do in next couple of weeks. Not really motivated to stand on scales any more.

My diet is not as good as it was but i now run a 5k every second day. I allow a day to recover, i actually think i could run more. 15 x 5k logged last month with my times a full 10mins faster than when i first started so yay. Came off a 30hr shift on Sun night at 8pm and couldn't wait to change and get out for a run. Weather was brutal so extra points for me :-)

Its a cliche but it really is a lifestyle change and not a weight loss plan. I've never ever run or exercised in any way when i was younger so really proud of myself with how its going. I know i could lose more weight but i feel that if this is going to be long term then its going to have to be in a way that's comfortable for me.

This way i know I'll have bad weeks but its not the end of the world. Id lose motivation very quickly if i stepped on a scales every week. I have an app with my doctor next week and will post results from when i first started out. Best of luck everyone, some really inspiring stories and people here

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irishmanmick

Thought I might get on board this thread if it's okay. Some great success stories on here!

Trying to get back in shape after letting the diet go a bit mad for the last few years. We have a 1yo, 2yo & 3yo so my exercise plans were severely hit which was apparently how I managed to kept my weight in check whilst eating everything I could get my hands on.

Anyway, the youngest lad just turned 1 and I'm getting a little bit better quality sleep nowadays so I've managed to start running again and have decided to try cut back on the sugary treats, and just try eat a little better. Ideally would like to lose bout 2 stone so will see how it goes.

Fair play to people tracking what they eat, do manage it for a couple of days but end up forgetting and trying to remember what I eat 3 days ago! Great way to control what you eat tho. Might try start that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hi all! Been ages since I've posted here!

Help/advice needed.

Anyone who's familiar with my posting will know that I'm maintaining a seven stone weight loss. The last year has been revealing in many ways regarding that loss and my maintenance of it.

The first half of the year I now can see it became very obsessive. Now, I always believed that a certain level of "obsession/dedication" was needed for weight loss but I was putting severe pressure on myself in terms of working out at least 4 times a week or hitting my calorie goals no matter what. Including not eating certain "unhealthy" foods etc... Now in that time I cleaned up my diet etc... and made some good changes but as I say there was a level of obsession that wasn't good either.

In recent months I bought a home and had a huge amount going on with work so real life took hold. I couldn't work out as much (only managing about 2/3 times a week at the minute) and the days where I went completely off track food wise were more frequent.

Exercise was less because I was busier and exhausted from the real life stuff. Food was off track because I, and family members, had wanted me to loosen up about food because of the pressure I was putting on myself. But lately those days have become soooo bad. THis weekend was a pure binge if I'm honest. Just eating rubbish for the sake of eating it because normally I won't have it.

Anyway, my worry is now that there are habits there that haven't been there in years and I'm utterly terrified of going back. I need to snap back to reality. I haven't really gained weight, maybe a few pound after this weekend but nothing horrific so in my head I'm like "oh eating that rubbish is ok".

So, any suggestions for getting myself into the healthy ways again? I know I'm not gone completely horrific in that I do still have good habits but I've no target to aim for really which leaves me a bit lost.
    I'm at goal weight, I'm in the size of clothing I want to be...so I don't know what to use to keep me on track/focused!?

HELP!

Thanks all!

As someone who's had their own issues, I can appreciate a lot of that. But there are ways of addressing the quality of food without becomeing overly obsessive about it.

There's no need to panic or anything, as you said, because you're at your goal weight. But you just need to remind yourself from time to time that if there's more bad than good in what you eat, then it won't stay that way. You don't need to get into counting calories, per se, but be mindful of the ballpark figure of what you're eating. Just don't record it because that way you can monitor it without getting into the obsessing over it.

Speaking of being mindful, I found mindfulness helps. Consider the what and why when you're eating. Eat more slowly to facilitate this. I've often found myself reaching for another biscuit and while it's not going to do any harm, it's no harm to ask if you really want it or you're eating it for the sake of it.

Also, just take it a meal at a time. That doesn't have to be an obsessive thing. Just make a good choice for each meal as it comes but don't be afraid of treating youreself or it becomes this ever-increasing elephant in the corner. One that will trample all over the custard in your fridge and no one wants that.

I'm gone rambling now so I'll go get some strong coffee and add anything coherent that I can later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

With weight loss, we are all programmed to obsess a bit about calories.

We all do it.

Fine for someone like me, who has a lot of weight to lose. I need to know how many calories are in things and try to educate myself more.

For someone who has reached their goal, you should be a bit more relaxed. At least, you can afford to be. Not so relaxed that you fall back into making consistently bad choices because then the weight creeps on, but so what if it fluxuates a couple of pounds? I think the important thing is that you NOURISH your body, and try to get the focus away on X calories etc. Nobody wants to be obsessing or controlling their calories forever (or do they???). I would hope that a gradual weight loss programme allows someone to adapt their lifestyle and nutrition accordingly, and to want to put good food into their body.

Maybe I'm talking crap. I'm 14st, what do I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭carleigh

Hey everyone! Its been a while since I checked in.

Its been just over 8 months now since I started my 'healthier lifestyle', wont call it a diet more of a combined diet and exercise plan. I started at 161.2lbs and as of yesterday morning I am down to 122.2lbs so 39lbs down in total. I still track using My Fitness Pal and I've kept up the walking/cycling to 4-5 times a week (though I've only been out twice in the past fortnight due to illness).

The weightloss has slowed down seeing as I have less to lose, but I'm happy with where I am now. I'm a size 8-10 now depending on the shop. I went shopping a couple of weeks ago to get a dress for a big party I have the end of November and was delighted that I had to get a size 8, that made my year :) I notice a few more treats sneaking in now that I've actually passed my goal weight, but I still track them, and aren't we all allowed a treat now and again......that's my excuse anyway!

The journey may seem impossible at times, but it is so worth it to feel happier and healthier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

That's amazing, well done.
    I'm still not in the right frame of mind and feeling snowed under with work but need to learn to make time for myself and concentrate on a healthier and happier me.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

anyone have a weights program for pretty much beginner? currently about 12 and a half stone with not a whole lot of muscle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I've just hit 89kg, which is about 14 stone, I can't remember the last time I was this weight! Well actually I can, it was just over 2 and a half years ago before the crash. It feels like a little mental victory too to be back at the weight I was before the crash.

I was away for a few days recently and looking at the photos is the first time I've really seen the weight I've lost, nearly 20kg. Isn't it funny how your mind works? When I look in the mirror I don't see what I see in photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

anyone have a weights program for pretty much beginner? currently about 12 and a half stone with not a whole lot of muscle!

Hi there. There's a book called New Rules of Lifting for Women (if you're female) or Starting Strength (if not) which are often recommended to beginners but if you're new to Liftung weights I'd really recommend getting a good PT to show you the lifts and do you a programme. Where in the country are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Had to take the day off work today I'm feeling very run down and think I might be pushing myself too hard. Day on the couch and lots of chocolate and lemsip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irishmanmick

How's everyone doing these days?

Jumped on the scales for the first time in weeks this morning (not one for weighing myself) but pleased to see I've dropped a stone! The consistent running for the last 8 weeks really paying off now.
    Even more pleasing was that was out for a rare date with the missus on Sat and when I was getting dressed I realised that the jeans I had bought as all my other jeans were way to tight were swimming on me. Had to pull out an old pair which fit perfectly! Was delighted.

Hope everyone is going well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I've re-joined a gym after a year of physical health problems/surgeries and no money, and following a LCHF diet means I'm at my lowest weight since college :) I only joined the gym yesterday, so hopefully my good streak will continue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Is anyone doing the weightloss thing and not weighing themselves or only sporadically weighing themselves? I've found the scales a poisonous influence, as I can get obsessive about them and weigh myself too often. So I've binned them, and am focussing on changing my lifestyle and cutting down on portions. I am going to weigh myself only sporadically (when at friends' houses or in Boots) and am using clothes and photos taken at monthly-ish periods as my barometers. As long as I see a downward trend on the well-spaced occasions I weigh myself, I'll be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Is anyone doing the weightloss thing and not weighing themselves or only sporadically weighing themselves? I've found the scales a poisonous influence, as I can get obsessive about them and weigh myself too often. So I've binned them, and am focussing on changing my lifestyle and cutting down on portions. I am going to weigh myself only sporadically (when at friends' houses or in Boots) and am using clothes and photos taken at monthly-ish periods as my barometers. As long as I see a downward trend on the well-spaced occasions I weigh myself, I'll be happy!

Hmm don't know about that. For me weighting in just gives more drive and keeps me off crap food.
    I do weigh myself every Sunday. So only once per week. I really don't find it worth weighting myself often then that as progress really does not look as impressive then.

Tarzana2 wrote: »

Early on, it can be a good way of keeping yourself in check but I agree. The number on the scales isn't the ultimate arbiter of how well you're doing anyway.

The problem is that for so long we have been told that it is.

Hmm don't know about that. For me weighting in just gives more drive and keeps me off crap food.
    I do weigh myself every Sunday. So only once per week. I really don't find it worth weighting myself often then that as progress really does not look as impressive then.

Yeah, to each their own. My sister has lost a stack of weight in the last year and is very disciplined in only weighing herself once a week. I couldn't do that. I guess it depends on the person.
    Early on, it can be a good way of keeping yourself in check but I agree. The number on the scales isn't the ultimate arbiter of how well you're doing anyway.

The problem is that for so long we have been told that it is.

I know, right?

I think that, whilst losing weight is obviously the goal, it helps me to not get too fixated on numbers. Because some weeks, a loss might not register for some reason but a change has happened to your body that you don't even realise.

I was fitted with my bridesmaid dress for my sister's upcoming wedding on Sept 27th, using measurements our dressmaker had taken a few months prior to the that. The dress fit but was snug. My dressmaker had to, with not a little discomfort, tell me that there was no room for me to gain any weight! :) :pac:

In the four weeks since, I've made a pretty big effort with eating better. I say 'pretty' because I have had a few blowouts, but overall have made a huge effort. I also moved back to working in an office instead of working from home and am now much more active during the day (four flights of stairs in work, no lift, long walks to and from the bus stop).

I went back to try the dress today and it was much looser on me! :) I just think if I'd had the scales, I would have probably got disheartened at week 2!

She asked me to lose no more with the wedding 4 weeks away. TBH, it's only a wedding, I'm going to keep on trucking!

Besides, you can be the same weight bug have a much better body composition.

Or, like me, you can look a lot better with more weight.

But that's mostly cos I had an eating disorder (that wasn't borne out of weight or body image, by the way) but weight did come into it but now I know that my eating is good and I work out so I don't need to weigh myself that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I am not saying it's easy to lose weight, it's a hard slog, but by jaysus, maintenance is tough!

It's so easy to slip into old habits, one day blowout could become a weekend blow out, then say start it next week or whatever.

For me, I weigh myself every 3 or 4 days and allow my weight to fluctuate by 2 or 3 lbs but anything over that is an alarm bell for me. I'm not obsessive with calories or anything, eat well, but I find weighing myself quite often keeps me in check. Easy to see 3 or 4 pounds going on which will then kick me back to the curb as far as binging and push me back towards a healthier me. Easy to lose 2 or 3 lbs, but so easy to spiral out of control and those 3 or 4 pounds become a half stone up and then 10 lbs and then a stone.

I think with weightloss, there is no "one size fits all" and each person has to do what suits them and their life, family commitments, working hours etc.

Some great losses in this thread. Keep up the good work....

anewme wrote: »
    I am not saying it's easy to lose weight, it's a hard slog, but by jaysus, maintenance is tough!

It's so easy to slip into old habits, one day blowout could become a weekend blow out, then say start it next week or whatever.

For me, I weigh myself every 3 or 4 days and allow my weight to fluctuate by 2 or 3 lbs but anything over that is an alarm bell for me. I'm not obsessive with calories or anything, eat well, but I find weighing myself quite often keeps me in check. Easy to see 3 or 4 pounds going on which will then kick me back to the curb as far as binging and push me back towards a healthier me. Easy to lose 2 or 3 lbs, but so easy to spiral out of control and those 3 or 4 pounds become a half stone up and then 10 lbs and then a stone.

I think with weightloss, there is no "one size fits all" and each person has to do what suits them and their life, family commitments, working hours etc.

Some great losses in this thread. Keep up the good work....

I definitely more open to weighing myself regularly at maintenance stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I am starting tomorrow. I stuffed my face unbelievably over the weekend and that's it.

There are so many reasons why I want to lose weight but I just haven't done it. But now is the ttime. I'm sick of feeling so crap all the time.

Does anyone have some good detox tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

loubian wrote: »
    I am starting tomorrow. I stuffed my face unbelievably over the weekend and that's it.

There are so many reasons why I want to lose weight but I just haven't done it. But now is the ttime. I'm sick of feeling so crap all the time.

Does anyone have some good detox tips?

Remove as much packaging as possible ie cook from scratch, and have patience. I am in the middle of a life change and my progress on the scales has slowed considerably but every week there is a small change in my body. This is helped by the strenght training I am doing. I can mostly lift the same weights as the men in the class I go to and the weights are what are making a serious impact on my body shape.

What has worked for me is picking a good training regime and making small changes each week to what I eat.
    I find this effective and sustainable. I may not lose each week but I never gain.

This method requires patience but the results are long lasting and I feel awesone.

This is a long game (lifelong lifestyle changes ) but it is so worth playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Remove as much packaging as possible ie cook from scratch, and have patience. I am in the middle of a life change and my progress on the scales has slowed considerably but every week there is a small change in my body. This is helped by the strenght training I am doing. I can mostly lift the same weights as the men in the class I go to and the weights are what are making a serious impact on my body shape.

What has worked for me is picking a good training regime and making small changes each week to what I eat.
    I find this effective and sustainable. I may not lose each week but I never gain.

This method requires patience but the results are long lasting and I feel awesone.

This is a long game (lifelong lifestyle changes ) but it is so worth playing!

Birdie - this is music to my ears For once, a common sensical response for good tips on detoxing :-)

OP - great advice above and I would echo the same. I lost 6.5 stone several years back. Your liver does a great job of detoxing you - so cut out as much food as is realistic for you that is well, ****e. Note, I said an amount that is realistic for you. We are not monks so a little bit here and there is OK if it wont send you off the rails.

Eating foods that ARE ingredients as much as possible and lowering the amount of foods that are nothing but ingredients (Imitation food) - so food, spices, herbs, meat, fish, fruits, veggies, dairy - proper yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, nuts/seeds and so on ...

A good rule in general for me at times when I know i will have a little sugar is 80/20 ... it might help you focus. So 80% real food, 20% a little of what you fancy. No harm to track your intake at the start so you have an idea of what and how much you are taking in

Time for an update.

The patience and perseverance is paying off.

In the last month, thanks to the strength training and eating clean 80% since jan/feb gone the changes are very noticable now.

I took a gamble and ordered a karrimor jacket in size 12 from sports direct as a little motivator to keep going - the jacket fit! Couldnt beleive it.

I was busting out of a size 22 last christmas.

Its been hard to get away from the scales as a guide, I am by no means light for my height buf I have built lean muscle thanks to training.

Looking forward to the next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Well done Birdie086, just bloody well done. I've followed your posts in this thread and you so inspire me.
    I've lost 1.5stone from last feb to July. I've kept it off to date, for me keeping it off is harder and a more important as I want/need a lifestyle chance they I can sustain long term. Next year my gs is to lose 3 stone. The life time goal is to be active and healthy .

Thank you lisha.

The past year overall has been well worth it. I have been taking my time with. Only the other day I realised that I never frink fizzy drinks - even diet ones, any more. Food wise the biggest change is that I rarely eat bread/potatoes any more. Dont miss them but havent cut them completely either. I cook a lot of meat and fresh green veg.
    At the weekends I relax my diet but include some sort of excercise ie a big walk or a hill walk nothing too taxing! Although my diet is relaxed at the weekend, I dont binge like I used to.

Well done on losing and keeping it off. For me also this is where the real work lies. However, I feel that by chipping away the bad habits bit by bit you give yourself a new lifestyle as opposed to a staying on the cycle of losing gaining.

Birdie086 wrote: »
    I took a gamble and ordered a karrimor jacket in size 12 from sports direct as a little motivator to keep going - the jacket fit! Couldnt beleive it.

I was busting out of a size 22 last christmas.

That's amazing! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 adohar

That's great to see Birdie086 - well done on a fab year's work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Still going well with exercise although my diet could be a little better I think I'm doing ok. Plenty of people commenting on my appearance so I must be going well. My nike running app says I've logged 3 runs a week for last 7 months.

Ran my first ever 10k last week in 57mins so delighted with that. I haven't weighed since May so haven't a clue what I weigh but not really motivated by scales anymore.

I was at docs during the week I stopped taking cholestrol tablets he prescribed as I felt I was going to give it
    a good go at lowering it myself through diet and exercise. It was 6.5 at start then 5.2 after a period of taking tablets.

Its now 5.7 which im disappointed with but doc says all bad cholesterol is nearly normal.

I'll push on for another couple of months of this and if I cant get it down ill go back on tablet. I hate taking medication for something thats my own fault. Best of luck everyone, some great stories here

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭carleigh

Hey everyone....time for an update. Great to see such great success stories (Birdie086....round of applause for you!).

I'm continuing my maintenance now for the past couple of months, and if I'm being honest, I'm finding it quite tough. At least with losing you have something to aim for, but trying to maintain is more challenging for me. I'm down to 117.8lbs which is a total loss of 43.4lbs since the beginning of Feb. I can't complain, I'm now in a size 8, every part of me has shrunk! But seeing as I have more calories to consume in order to maintain (MFP has me set to 1400) I end up throwing in a few biscuits or something equally naughty in order to bring my calories up, and this is even worse on days when I do exercise as that gives me another 200 calories to consume. I have a limited diet as it is (I'm vegetarian, don't eat eggs, nut allergy) so I find I turn to sweet things to bring up my daily allowance, and I'm going to try cut down on doing this.

I got engaged 3 weeks ago, so there has been a few celebratory cakes and drinks here and there, and I was away last weekend for a mad girly trip and thankfully I've not gained. Hopefully this will continue into the new year, I'm going to try my best to be relatively good over Christmas. I'm not going to be too tough on myself and if there is any damage done I will deal with it in January with everyone else :)

Keep up the good work everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I need to start exercising and eating better food!! Great time to start Christmas!:pac:

Advertisement