Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭popcornbowl

Tigger99 wrote: »
    I follow a number of ladies on Facebook that are really into fitness now. A good few lost no weight but dropped a few dress sizes. Focusing on the scales can be hugely demotivating. Surely toning up and looking lean rather than flabby should be the goal?

oh absolutely! i'm delighted with my results so far. I can see subtle differences in my shape already and thats only 3 weeks of "diligence" (for want of a better word)!

I don't care what the scales say as long as I continue to feel (and look) better in myself!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Tigger99 wrote: »
    I follow a number of ladies on Facebook that are really into fitness now. A good few lost no weight but dropped a few dress sizes. Focusing on the scales can be hugely demotivating. Surely toning up and looking lean rather than flabby should be the goal?

I find I'm paying less and less attention to the scales and more to how things fit and how I look. It's nice to see the scales going down but it's nicer to fit into clothes that last year wouldn't close

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Some great losses on this thread.........well done all.

It's interesting the way people are getting more focussed on fitness now as opposed to weight loss. I've been on various diets for years now and have weighed between 10 stone 2 lbs and 12 stone for the past 7 or eight years or so.

Ive had success with both Slimming World and Weight Watchers (2 stone each time on both) but never kept it off fully...... and dont want to slate them as both have worked for me (to a point) but I would never do them again and here's why.........

Basically I have outgrown them and my mindset has "evolved" for want of a better word. I hated the way you felt permanently on a diet. I dont agree the way they promote unhealthy food and the kind of "you can buck the system" and still eat processed false foods,, pink n white wafers, mueller light yoghurts, mugshots to name but a few. Those type of things are about as much nutritional value as cardboard. Also, the way you are either being "good" or "bold". And also how exercise is referred to as "body magic" in Slimming World.

After much I weighed 2 months ago at 10 stone 10 and decided I needed to get back to 10 stone. So, followed a healthy eating plan.......which involves every type of food, all unprocessed and also doing a fair bit of exercise.......mostly gym and spin classes. As a result, I've lost way over a stone and am now 9 stone 7 lbs. I cant believe it. Im I never felt I had that much weight to lose, but boy does it suit me. My whole shape has changed, I dont look skinny, I look very very fit. I feel healthy,look younger, full of energy and am mentally sharp. And I've never felt once on a diet. Ive just cut the crap.

It's interesting the amount of people lately that are shifting away from numbers on scales and focusing on fitness and healthy eating (no more processed false foods)

I really think SW and WW do have a place in weight loss and will take people so far, so I am not slating them in any way, but love the thought of never being on a diet again, but looking at food from a healthier perspective as opposed to low fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

anewme wrote: »
    Some great losses on this thread.........well done all.

It's interesting the way people are getting more focussed on fitness now as opposed to weight loss. I've been on various diets for years now and have weighed between 10 stone 2 lbs and 12 stone for the past 7 or eight years or so.

Ive had success with both Slimming World and Weight Watchers (2 stone each time on both) but never kept it off fully...... and dont want to slate them as both have worked for me (to a point) but I would never do them again and here's why.........

Basically I have outgrown them and my mindset has "evolved" for want of a better word. I hated the way you felt permanently on a diet. I dont agree the way they promote unhealthy food and the kind of "you can buck the system" and still eat processed false foods,, pink n white wafers, mueller light yoghurts, mugshots to name but a few. Those type of things are about as much nutritional value as cardboard. Also, the way you are either being "good" or "bold". And also how exercise is referred to as "body magic" in Slimming World.

After much I weighed 2 months ago at 10 stone 10 and decided I needed to get back to 10 stone. So, followed a healthy eating plan.......which involves every type of food, all unprocessed and also doing a fair bit of exercise.......mostly gym and spin classes. As a result, I've lost way over a stone and am now 9 stone 7 lbs. I cant believe it. Im I never felt I had that much weight to lose, but boy does it suit me. My whole shape has changed, I dont look skinny, I look very very fit. I feel healthy,look younger, full of energy and am mentally sharp. And I've never felt once on a diet. Ive just cut the crap.

It's interesting the amount of people lately that are shifting away from numbers on scales and focusing on fitness and healthy eating (no more processed false foods)

I really think SW and WW do have a place in weight loss and will take people so far, so I am not slating them in any way, but love the thought of never being on a diet again, but looking at food from a healthier perspective as opposed to low fat.

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of diet were you following while losing the weight? As in, what's an example of what you ate for brekkie, lunch, dinner, snacks.

I'm 10st 10lbs now and would love to get down to 9st 7lbs as that was when I was last really comfortable.

I'd be in same mindset, no interest in following points systems, don't want to cut out food groups and will be increasing my exercise. Also we've been generally eating cleaner the past few months - lots of fresher food, home cooked nearly all the time - so I think I'm ready to get this last bit of weight off with some hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

This is probably a stupid thing to say but I've really noticed that adding cinnamon to my breakfast or to yoghurt really keeps me full. Only started adding it to things a few days ago but really noticed how it keeps me full!:) Diet could be better at the moment though, needlessly sabotaging myself but I'm keeping up with the exercise. Really just need to get the two in line. Was grand for two weeks and then just starting slipping so I really need to make a better effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cynicalcough

Up 1 lb this week. Was away so could have been a lot worse. Was feeling a bit bummed about my first gain since starting so I decided to check my measurements, I've lost 4 inches off my chest 7 off my waist and 8 off my hips. Feeling much more positive now. Have gone from a 20-22- 14/16 in 8 weeks biggrin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Hey all,

Never posted here before but thought I would give it a bash!

Currently trying really hard to get my weight down. I was about 16st 9 at christmas.

Concentrated my mind a little bit, and hit bang on 15st this morning. Getting back into swimming soon, so that should help! I'm good at calorie counting. I religiously use my fitness pal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Up 1 lb this week. Was away so could have been a lot worse. Was feeling a bit bummed about my first gain since starting so I decided to check my measurements, I've lost 4 inches off my chest 7 off my waist and 8 off my hips. Feeling much more positive now. Have gone from a 20-22- 14/16 in 8 weeks biggrin.png

Did this happen by just diet or exercising a lot too? I never seem to go down in size, I diet for months and nothing so my motivation decreases! C

loubian wrote: »
    Did this happen by just diet or exercising a lot too? I never seem to go down in size, I diet for months and nothing so my motivation decreases! C

Have been exercising, I walk a lot on a day to day basis and have been going to the gym 3/4 times a week, doing a mix of everything, gym programme (weights and cardio) swimming, zumba, boxfit, BLT, aqua aerobics, whatever's on when I get there basically. Definitely helping with my shape aside from just the weight loss

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭carleigh

Hi everyone,

its been a while since I checked in here, but I'm glad to report all is still going well on my end. To date, I've lost 30lbs, slow and steady over the past 6 months. I had a regular 6 monthly appointment at the hospital yesterday, and my doctor didn't even recognise me, so the weight loss is definitely visible now :) I myself cant see it, but people are commenting on it a lot. I'm getting the 'don't lose any more weight' line off some people now! I'm now down to a size 10 on top, and a 10/12 on the bottom (depending on the shop), and I've had to invest in a whole new wardrobe as nothing fits anymore, but that's a good complaint, any excuse for shopping! I've been a bit slack with exercising the past week with the weather, and I have loosened the reigns with my diet, as I am just 0.8lbs away from goal, so hopefully I will transition to maintenance without too much of a gain over the next while.

I never thought I would lose the weight this year, and now my dad is following in my footsteps and has lost 10lbs since the start of the month, so I'm very proud of him.

It really is a lifestyle change, diet and exercise. Its as easy or as difficult as you make it. I started this journey after my 34 y/o very overweight brother had a heart attack abroad last year, and I decided I wasn't going to be next. Unfortunately he has yet to change his lifestyle, but I'm hoping when he sees how easily it can be done, he will make some changes.

Keep up the good work everyone! I'm off for a cuppa and a twix :p cant be good all the time!

• Advertisement

On approx. day 10 of the 30 day shred (Jillian Michaels). Scales haven't moved much as such but I know I've replaced at least a bit of fat with muscle. Seriously there are muscles appearing that I hadn't even realised existed in my body.

Really enjoying the workouts, only 20 mins but I give it socks and have cleaned up my diet a fair bit. Lots of protein, veg & fruit, less dairy, less carbs, more water.

First 5 days I was in bits, couldn't actually sit down or walk down stairs properly at all!

Good week for me, I was a bit more strict than usual with my diet in anticipation of the bank holiday and am down 5 lbs which is a lot more than I expected. Delighted with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Scales haven't moved much in a while but the another few inches have come off.

I was in my workplace the other day, on my day off, out of uniform and got ton of compliments from customers which was a great boost.

My fitness levels have gone through the roof, a bin needed to be taken out yesterday in work and two of my female colleagues were gonna take it out between them, I was able to take it out on my own, cue lots of banter - 'oh there goes muscles'!!!!! 'Do you want another one for the other hand'!!!! etc.

I suppose the moral of my update is while the scales isn't always moving downwards, my whole bodyshape/fitness/strenght is constantly improving so I am finally getting away properly from the whole obsession with wieght!(I hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Well went to weigh in Tuesday and weighed in post holiday. I gained 3lb which I was delighted to after 3 weeks since last weigh in and 9 days away in Florida.

Joined a gym been twice since Tuesday and going again tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a loss this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Mink wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, what sort of diet were you following while losing the weight? As in, what's an example of what you ate for brekkie, lunch, dinner, snacks.

I'm 10st 10lbs now and would love to get down to 9st 7lbs as that was when I was last really comfortable.

I'd be in same mindset, no interest in following points systems, don't want to cut out food groups and will be increasing my exercise. Also we've been generally eating cleaner the past few months - lots of fresher food, home cooked nearly all the time - so I think I'm ready to get this last bit of weight off with some hard work.

I'd really like to see an example of your diet?

My story is that Im the heaviest of my sisters at 11 stone. I had got myself down to 10'7 before my holidays, and Im now back at 11 stone. Im so frustrated, as I seem to gain weight so easily. I have a good fitness regime, and have just taken up kick-boxing. I ran Fri, Sat and Sunday of the weekend (8km each time) and still managed to put on 2 pounds.
    I am determined to stick to the following diet:
    5:2 with 500 calories per day, with the other 5 days being sugar and processed food free-zones. I have no problems during the week, but I fall down on the weekends. I have been reading through these threads and have realised I eat quite a lot of fruit, which is basically sugar. I also eat alot of yoghurts, so I may remove them from my diet. Im going to limit my carb intake also. I eat up to 4 eggs per day on this diet though-is that normal?

Down another 3 lbs this week which is 2 1/2 stone in 3 months. Have about another 2 to go but might start eating back my exercise calories a bit more as I'm starting to worry it's coming off a bit too quick and I'll either rebound or end up with loads of loose skin.

Catxscotch wrote: »
    I'd really like to see an example of your diet?

My story is that Im the heaviest of my sisters at 11 stone. I had got myself down to 10'7 before my holidays, and Im now back at 11 stone. Im so frustrated, as I seem to gain weight so easily. I have a good fitness regime, and have just taken up kick-boxing. I ran Fri, Sat and Sunday of the weekend (8km each time) and still managed to put on 2 pounds.
    I am determined to stick to the following diet:
    5:2 with 500 calories per day, with the other 5 days being sugar and processed food free-zones. I have no problems during the week, but I fall down on the weekends. I have been reading through these threads and have realised I eat quite a lot of fruit, which is basically sugar. I also eat alot of yoghurts, so I may remove them from my diet. Im going to limit my carb intake also. I eat up to 4 eggs per day on this diet though-is that normal?

I don't think I could stomach 4 eggs every day, 2 maybe.
    Too much of anything is bad, everything in moderation is fine, that's the only way I can do it.

Breakfast is either 1) berries/chopped fruit with 2 big dollops of natural greek yogurt & a drizzle of honey. or 2) a slice of toast with peanut butter, 3) a slice of toast with either scrambled eggs or 2 poached eggs.

(the bread I have is the Low-GI bread from Aldi. I really like it, lots of seeds and nutty bits in it, small slices and I just like the taste so much better than usual breads).

Mid morning I have a piece of fruit.

Lunch is either 1) chicken or turkey (salvaged bits from a roast or from packets or deli, best quality I can get) with a salad, 2) Once a week Sausages &a slice of toast (not exactly clean but I have a 2yr old so I can't resist), 3) Slice of French toast. I have a small chocolate bar after (like a Roar bar from Aldi, there's about 2 bites in them). Sometimes lunch is just leftovers from the previous nights home made dinners.

Dinner is either Bolognese (homemade sauce with lots of veg & very small portion of pasta), Indian chicken curry (homemade, little rice), Thai green chicken curry (homemade, little rice), Chicken & broccoli pasta bake (my version is very calorific but my 2yr old absolutely loves this so... I aint making 2 dinners), homemade burgers, stir fry with lots of veg...

You get the picture. It's a lot easier when you can make your dinners from scratch. Get a good recipe and once you've cooked it maybe 3 times, it's like second nature. I do double batches of my sauces and freeze them.

A good source is bbc good foods website, you can see which recipes have highest ratings - a big thing for me is simple ingredients, there's no way the wee fella is getting dragged into lots of speciality shops looking for obscure items.

I have another small choc bar with my coffee in the evening.

Small/er portions, lots of veg & protein, try & make things from scratch.

I know what you mean about the weekends, I find it tougher as well as we are out and about and there's all sorts of food stalls and you want to have lots of treats while watching a movie, or out to dinner/cinema etc. I was really good last weekend and what I kept in mind is "I didn't just work my hole off in that workout last night to then go and ruin it just because I'm a bit peckish for a cup cake!" The craving passes.

At the same time, I do like to have a treat one of the weekend nights when we finally get around to watching a movie or something, can't deny it.

Haven't really lost more then about 3 lbs per the scales but my work slacks are now too baggy, they look ridiculous and I fit into a dress that I last wore when I was approx. 10lbs lighter.

Muscle most certainly weighs more than fat! I'd say I've nearly dropped a dress size at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Everybody seems to be doing so well, I'm in awe.
    I posted here before but nothing has changed since. I had a 4 week holiday away so eating out most of the time (all of the time!).
    I'll be back to work soon and things HAVE to change then. I've a wedding at Christmas and a dress that my boyfriend bought for me last Christmas that never fit and I WANT TO FIT INTO IT!
    Things I need to do:

Drink more water
    Exercise more
    Eat cleaner
    Cut down on the carbs

My boyfriend makes the dinner during the week as he's home before me so I don't get a huge amount of say but it's normally chicken stir fry, or chicken fajitas or chicken with pesto and pasta. I need to make sure I get smaller amounts of the rice/pasta on my plate, and more veg. Sometimes I cook lasagne. Every Friday I make homemade burgers and chips (that's our treat) but maybe the rest of the week is too 'treaty' anyway.

I found I was serving up same portions for my husband as for myself. Now we are around the same height but he's much broader than me, is heavier than me so I certainly don't need to be eating same amount as him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Going on holidays with my other half next week (can't wait, no children just the two of us... Yay!!!) , but have been very 'bold' the past couple of months and feeling very unhealthy. Decided yesterday to do the cabbage soup diet for a couple of days just to try jump start the clean eating I intend on, more like a detox than anything... I must be mad!!

So far I'm feeling great, not hungry just peeing a lot as my body is in shock with the amount of water I'm drinking ( been drinking coke a good bit and boy do I see it in my skin) .. Anyway I will only do this a few days and then cop on with my unhealthy ways! Can't do much exercise as have a back injury but will do a bit of walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭honeygirl

Everyone here seems to be doing really well! I injured myself a while back and couldn't exercise and because of that I got a bit depressed and lost all motivation even with my food. Anyway thankfully I am better now and have been able to get into the exercise again. I am also making better choices with my food too. I have about 13 pounds to go to my goal. Good luck everyone! and thanks for all the great tips:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I've had 6 eggs today. 4 is fine, all good protein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I'M BACK IN IRELAND YAY!

Much as I loved Japan, the food situation was very challenging at times. When Japanese people want to lose weight they either pretty much stop eating for a little while or take diet pills or shakes (seriously, the shops are FULL of them). Plus the majority (particularly women) are extremely skinny and it's difficult to deal with when you see them freaking out about a 2lb weight gain and then just not eating for a few days till they're back to normal. Japan is still very much in the FAT IS BAD mentality too so all their yogurts etc. are low-fat high-sugar and ugh, bit of a pain at times.

Anyway, it's nice to be back and I'm feeling very motivated (even if now I have to avoid the massive aisles of chocolate and biscuits in Tesco haha!). I did hit my goal weight about 3 weeks ago (2lbs under actually!) but lost the plot with eating then due to finishing college/no routine/goodbye outings/moving home & country etc. etc. and have put on 10lbs as a result :( Hoping some of that is just water retention but it is deserved to be honest, I was just awful. Been thinking it about a lot though and I think I was being a little too restrictive with my eating in the last few months so I'm upping my calories a little to aim for a 0.5lb/week loss (instead of 1lb/week) since I'm still in the healthy weight range and just working on being less black and white about food. I'm a divil for having one thing "off plan" in the day and then writing the whole day off (stems from the past EDs of course but the thinking is still a little bit there!).

So I'm currently going through my parent's cupboards to see what's here and making a list of all the good foods I need/want to help me get back on track. Just going to be easy on myself today as I'm massively jet-lagged and there's not much food in the house but tomorrow is back on track. I'm not even calling it a new beginning or anything because it's not. I know how to eat good and work out and the last few weeks have just been a minor blip in my journey. I'm still more than 80lbs down and that's not going to all go back on overnight.

Oh gosh, sorry for the essay there! I'm just determined to really get back on plan and posting about it gives me some sort of accountability. It's not easy for me to increase calories and lose weight slower (sure don't we all want it gone as soon as possible!) but I've realised that it's a much MUCH better option than losing it all quickly just to go back to binging and putting it all back on again in the space of a few weeks ugh. Also have to remind myself that life gets in the way sometimes and we can't always be "perfect" - moving country is a rare/one-off event so I can't beat myself up too much about it.

So then! Going to just relax today, get everything prepped and ready and tomorrow is GO! 8lbs to lose to get back to goal and another 5lbs to my ultimate goal of 115lbs. I totally got this and will defo be back in a few days/week to update my progress and NOT failings.

Remember, it's NEVER too late to get back on track guys <3

EDIT: Oh and here's my MFP if anyone wants to add me.

Actually, quick seperate question in case it gets lost in the above rant!

Anyone know where to buy unsweetened almond milk? Not in Dublin atm so options are Tesco, Dunnes, Supervalu and then we have a Holland & Barrett too... it's been a year since I've properly shopped in Ireland so not sure what stocks what and would rather avoid having to go to all of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Konata wrote: »
    Actually, quick seperate question in case it gets lost in the above rant!

Anyone know where to buy unsweetened almond milk? Not in Dublin atm so options are Tesco, Dunnes, Supervalu and then we have a Holland & Barrett too... it's been a year since I've properly shopped in Ireland so not sure what stocks what and would rather avoid having to go to all of them!

Tesco should have Alpro Unsweetened Almond milk.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=275067782

Tesco should have Alpro Unsweetened Almond milk.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=275067782

Ok, I blame the jet lag. Literally looked at that product page and never saw the words 'unsweetened', hence the post here. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BlackWidow_

Hey there, I'm kind of a long term lurker on this thread

I have a history of disordered eating, I went from binging as a young teen to starving myself and developing bulimia. Its taken a few years but I'm in a much healthier mind set when it comes to food now. Unfortunately I'm still not very happy about my weight. I've set myself a goal of losing 20 lb, but I might increase that depending on how I look and feel at that weight.

I've always been too scared to diet in case I fall back into old habits. I'm hoping posting here might make me more accountable for what I'm eating/doing to myself so I can to lose weight in a healthy way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Hi all! Been ages since I've posted here!

Help/advice needed.

Anyone who's familiar with my posting will know that I'm maintaining a seven stone weight loss. The last year has been revealing in many ways regarding that loss and my maintenance of it.

The first half of the year I now can see it became very obsessive. Now, I always believed that a certain level of "obsession/dedication" was needed for weight loss but I was putting severe pressure on myself in terms of working out at least 4 times a week or hitting my calorie goals no matter what. Including not eating certain "unhealthy" foods etc... Now in that time I cleaned up my diet etc... and made some good changes but as I say there was a level of obsession that wasn't good either.

In recent months I bought a home and had a huge amount going on with work so real life took hold. I couldn't work out as much (only managing about 2/3 times a week at the minute) and the days where I went completely off track food wise were more frequent.

Exercise was less because I was busier and exhausted from the real life stuff. Food was off track because I, and family members, had wanted me to loosen up about food because of the pressure I was putting on myself. But lately those days have become soooo bad. THis weekend was a pure binge if I'm honest. Just eating rubbish for the sake of eating it because normally I won't have it.

Anyway, my worry is now that there are habits there that haven't been there in years and I'm utterly terrified of going back. I need to snap back to reality. I haven't really gained weight, maybe a few pound after this weekend but nothing horrific so in my head I'm like "oh eating that rubbish is ok".

So, any suggestions for getting myself into the healthy ways again? I know I'm not gone completely horrific in that I do still have good habits but I've no target to aim for really which leaves me a bit lost.
    I'm at goal weight, I'm in the size of clothing I want to be...so I don't know what to use to keep me on track/focused!?

HELP!

Thanks all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Maybe instead of cals, focus on eating a certain amount of portions of veg. It's a healthy goal (in a psychological way) but you know yourself, if you have veg it's much easier to focus on a healthy accompaniment. I've found myself eating rubbish too and tried to get back to mindful eating, do I enjoy the taste and savour it or am I eating it because of how I feel. Really helps me. Have a read of this

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/dining/mindful-eating-as-food-for-thought.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Advertisement