Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Americans [FX - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Man, there are times when this show is scarily good. It has such a balance between the web of lies, plot momentum and character work.

Infiltration complete, with the grisly end of the spy business.

Can Stan put the Project Harvey and murder jigsaw together (physical evidence scene was not easy, but not exploitative), or will Martha point to him as the leak? And just what the hell was Mrs. Stan listening to, jaysus!

Philip's mental state seems fairly shredded, yes? Gaad sitting down with Arkady felt like a punch the air moment.

'They are better at it than we are'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Beamen is onto something! He could be quite close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Mc Love wrote: »
    Beamen is onto something! He could be quite close

Wouldn't have gotten there without Gadd and the briefcase!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Tough enough mission this week, good to hear about Afghanistan. Also a reminder that domestic ones i.e., raising Paige*, isn't easy, either. The usual sex/death juxtaposition. Annelise's self-digust breakdown seemed inevitable. I don't envy Philip listening in, he looked well in his Swedish intelligence suit, mind. *'3 months? That's the summer - it's summer camp!' Social values, careful now!

Maximum use of the snow and good to hear Amador hasn't been forgotten. Gaad had a nice catch with the briefcase, but the pen returns. I tell ya, Larrick was pretty damn scary going through that house with the young family.

Did you spot the Crimea reference in the Nina/Oleg subtitles? Eh...

MAD - keeps the world spinning.

Setting things up nicely for the last two episodes. Good opening scene with the scientist and again, it's really in the subdued scenes with just two actors, where you don't need big or clever dialogue. Philip and Elizabeth's marriage is another example. Loved the huge abandoned tanks where Philip had one of his meetings.

Whilst exploiting someone's weakness is a key part of what they do, I'm not sure I fully bought getting the cancer guy open up, though money helps. Always good to see Zeljko Ivanek. RAM brings a cold and harsh reminder that military technology requires some personal sacrifice.

Ceiling fan gets a bonus for just that and Larrick's torture methods. Knew the toilet roll had to be something and Nina's status is not unexpected.

FBI comics!

'Travel agents can't really compete with the FBI. Except when it comes to cars!'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It was a great episode but my favourite moments were probably the interactions between Paige and Elizabeth. I loved how Paige had readied her speech about who she is as a prelude for wanting her parents to let her go protest at America's military weapons. Despite the involvement of her church group, what she wanted to do was the type of thing Elizabeth dreamed about her doing. Elizabeth was delighted and started feeling a kinship with and respect for Paige that she hasn't ever felt. While Paige was in utter shock that her mother so quickly agreed to something she expecting to be turned down about. Elizabeth telling Phillip in the final scene that she has just realised how like her Paige is was really meanigful.

And it didn't hurt that Elizabeth and Phillip needed Paige to go away and leave them alone right there and then, so they could investigate their missing handler.

I also loved how Arkady manipulated the situation with Oleg to either protect Nina from the centre or motivate her further. I can't tell exactly what Arkady's plan was but that man is smart cookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,597 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Season 2 starts tonight on RTE 2

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

watched the start of season 2 on RTE2 last night, very good episode. Thought it might weaken mid way through the 1st season but it didn't disappoint, very good writing - one of my favourite shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

rok wrote: »
    watched the start of season 2 on RTE2 last night, very good episode. Thought it might weaken mid way through the 1st season but it didn't disappoint, very good writing - one of my favourite shows.

Same here, but how has it fared in the US as the 12th ep is on tonite in the US or are there some filler ep ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Same here, but how has it fared in the US as the 12th ep is on tonite in the US or are there some filler ep ahead?

Very little filler. Most episodes move the plot along at a decent pace. Without spoiling it, I can't say more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

did anyone watch or record the first episode of season 2 last night?

my UPC box shows that the full episode was recorded but at the scene where the colonel is telling Beeman about Sandford's death the screen goes black and drops out to the My Recordings menu.

this happen to anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Maybe the viewers watching on RTE start a new thread so the potential for spoilers will be a little less?

I was watching this weeks episode and it struck me that the last time I felt this tense and nervous for a tv character was in last year's finale. This show is great at building tension.

Also, I've come to really love Oleg. Up until a few episodes ago I saw him as a slimey creep. But he's actually turned out to be one of the show's more genuine and least morally questionable characters. His exchange with Nina at the end was great.

Henry, my good man - Star Trek shout out. Martha - wig detection skillz! Felt a little concerned for her once she laid that batch of FBI files on the table. Mail Robot, fcuk yeah!

Strong episode, and again we see just how much the show is built on character. If my parents were travel agents and fecking off for an 'emergency' I'd probably question it, too. The Jared situation seemed rather perilous with Larrick on the prowl. Elizabeth's concern grows. I had seen the Stan/Arkady shot in the promo, wasn't expecting Nina to be black and blue, should have been. Stan's character has changed so much compared to when he was a threat to Philip and Elizabeth.

Certainly felt the chill as Fred walked into the meeting. Special shoes sounds about right.

Health, growth and community.

Another thing. I just can't believe that Paige's pastor is on the level. There is something so creepy about him, like he's grooming her for something.

Yeah, something doesn't seem right there, though they've not given him much screen time.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

any good reason why "The Americans" is on so late , 10.45pm on RTE2.
    Surely they could bump it forward in place of that crap Revenge or Greys Anatomy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭brian_t

rok wrote: »
    any good reason why "The Americans" is on so late , 10.45pm on RTE2.
    Surely they could bump it forward in place of that crap Revenge or Greys Anatomy!

The more popular a programme is the earlier it will be shown in the evening.

Revenge was the most watched non-sport programme on RTE2 last week.

Revenge finishes this week however and I believe that there is a double-bill of The Americans next week starting at 9.55pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Supup

OMFG!!!

I've been watching The Americans online and just finished Season 2 this evening. Two fantastis twists (could even be three) in the last 10 minutes.

Breath taking stuff :)

• Advertisement

OMFG!!!

I've been watching The Americans online and just finished Season 2 this evening. Two fantastic twists (could even be three) in the last 10 minutes.

Breath taking stuff :)

It really was superb. They nailed it. Real tempo and energy, again a reminder, imo, of how the show can be understated, yet still deliver.

The teaser felt ominous and with the shoe talk you knew that he wasn't going to make it. Philip and Elizabeth discuss their childhoods, then that tune...

I generally felt like that the Echo thing was somewhat of a ruse, that maybe it didn't really exist and it was just all BS to make the Russians think it did. 5 inch floppy disks and all. ;) And course, it was just a way to see things through Stan's eyes. He looked like a withered man crossing that bridge, but he's not going to betray his country. Let's face it, almost everyone here was under some sort of mental stress, bar Henry (likes cartoons) and Arkady.

Jared's departure was really well done, gut wrenching - one of the best I've seen in some time. And also just some of the small scenes here felt significant too, e.g. the Reagan picture in Gaad's office.

Everyone should have spy meetings under those archways where they met Granny. I was not expecting that twist of the knife with second generation illegals*. Jaysus! As for Elizabeth at the end, that's her through and through. Out of the two of them, she's the hardcore believer.

*And whilst I'm taking this with a grain of salt, they've written themselves into a corner, again. Brilliant.

Nice summation Black Oil. :)

Now we know why Kate never disguised herself when meeting Jared. Did she really love him or was she playing him to agree to becoming an illegal?

I have little sympathy for Nina. She has such a power over men, surely she just has to bat her eyelisd at the oil tanker captain and he will diveert course for the nearest desert island :D

Stan was never going betray Ronnie.

Does this mean Granny is their handler again? Philip's expression at the very end as they sit down at the dinner table. Classic as Elizabeth sees offering her only daughter up for the cause as a way to get close to her...:D

What's the betting Gaad goes home to Walton mountain at weekends..? ;)

Some reviews have taken issue with the execution of the Jared scene on the basis that it was a deathbed confession to get some exposition across. I didn't really have an issue with it, tbh. I know Hannibal gets most of the online buzz, but people need to watch this show, too. I don't think Hannibal will be able to top this finale.

Worth checking out the Spy Museum in DC, think I want to visit.

https://twitter.com/IntlSpyMuseum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Supup wrote: »
    Nice summation Black Oil. :)

Now we know why Kate never disguised herself when meeting Jared. Did she really love him or was she playing him to agree to becoming an illegal?

I have little sympathy for Nina. She has such a power over men, surely she just has to bat her eyelisd at the oil tanker captain and he will diveert course for the nearest desert island :D

Stan was never going betray Ronnie.

Does this mean Granny is their handler again? Philip's expression at the very end as they sit down at the dinner table. Classic as Elizabeth sees offering her only daughter up for the cause as a way to get close to her...:D

What's the betting Gaad goes home to Walton mountain at weekends..? ;)

No she did it to gain his trust just as Elizabeth did in this episode.

No the series Margo Martingale is in was picked up for another season so while she might pop up once or twice like this season they will need another stand in handler I imagine.

*And whilst I'm taking this with a grain of salt, they've written themselves into a corner, again. Brilliant.

The writers are basing this on real history as the Soviets did try this with at least one (that is known of) second generation illegal.

I love the little moments on this show. Did anyone notice that in Stan's dream Martha was taking files off the mail robot and putting them in her bag. He's obviously too preoccupied with Nina/Sandra to realise it but on some level, Stan has clearly noticed that Martha is taking files. I bet that blows up in series 3, especially as she has got herself a little ladies Chekhov.

• Advertisement

The Robert Hanssen story is covered in the film, Breach. Worth a look.

Advertisement