Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Americans [FX - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

tunguska wrote: »
    Are those TG4 Breaking Bad episodes re-runs or new episodes?

Re-runs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A bit odd reading the Guardian's blog and comments on this. They don't seem too keen. I don't really get the comparison to Homeland, or even how The Americans might be called over the top. If anything it's the anti-Homeland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

A bit odd reading the Guardian's blog and comments on this. They don't seem too keen. I don't really get the comparison to Homeland, or even how The Americans might be called over the top. If anything it's the anti-Homeland.

That Guardian article was written by Sam Wollaston, who's a bit of a prat anyway. :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Just finished watching the final 2 episodes of the Americans on the RTE real player, I love this show, all the main characters are so well written & acted, how the family life interacts with their job. Its brilliant, roll on season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Birdsong wrote: »
    Just finished watching the final 2 episodes of the Americans on the RTE real player, I love this show, all the main characters are so well written & acted, how the family life interacts with their job. Its brilliant, roll on season 2

Yeah last 2 episodes were cracking, especially the finale. Although I have to disagree a bit about the family stuff. I find it just gets in the way nd if Im watching it on the player I'll just forward wind any of the scenes that invlolve the kids. I know its a necessary evil in that their cover is that of the all american family but for me I just find those domestic scenes very boring. If it was just Matthew rhys and keri russell I think it'd be a far tighter show altogether. Matthew Rhys in particular is brilliant, his acting is just a level up on everybody else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

tunguska wrote: »
    Yeah last 2 episodes were cracking, especially the finale. Although I have to disagree a bit about the family stuff. I find it just gets in the way nd if Im watching it on the player I'll just forward wind any of the scenes that invlolve the kids. I know its a necessary evil in that their cover is that of the all american family but for me I just find those domestic scenes very boring. If it was just Matthew rhys and keri russell I think it'd be a far tighter show altogether. Matthew Rhys in particular is brilliant, his acting is just a level up on everybody else.

Considering the daughter is catching on there's gonna be alot more of the kids in the second series I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Considering the daughter is catching on there's gonna be alot more of the kids in the second series I reckon

Send the little squealer to Siberia, learn'her to count trees real good :cool:

I'm liking this series, but I love most things Cold War.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think - just about - The Guardian TV blogger types are finally starting to see the light with this (1.09).

Have to admit reading some of the entries I felt like asking 'well, how would you write it, then?', which I've generally not felt before when reading TV blog stuff. Not to say this show is perfect, obviously.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think - just about - The Guardian TV blogger types are finally starting to see the light with this (1.09).

Have to admit reading some of the entries I felt like asking 'well, how would you write it, then?', which I've generally not felt before when reading TV blog stuff. Not to say this show is perfect, obviously.

I loved the show by the end but tbh, I'd have liked it better if the Philip killing Elizabeth's rapist and her starting to have real feelings for him had happened in the third or fourth episode rather than the pilot. I wanted to see more about how they were for most of their time together in order to care more when the relationship changed. I also found the initial story with Stan a bit contrived. And lastly I'd really love to see more flashbacks to them when they were first in America but obviously we may still see more next season. It turned into an excellent series but it was a bit ropey to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've just watched the first season of this and really enjoyed it. I hadn't heard about it until rte bought it and I'm surprised it's gotten so little hype.

It doesn't seem to be on the radar of american tv at all.

Had a look at a few US boards and there are a hell of a lot of people who hated it because they thought it glorified "terrorists" and they were unable to watch a show from their perspective.

It's a pity because they're missing out on the finer points the show raises - who are the "bad guys" really, is this kind of relationship (between the US and Russia and the two leads) salvagable, etc?

Cannot wait for the second season.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, I think you'll always have a minority who labels anything that doesn't agree with their world outlook as unpatriotic and sometimes even call for a boycott. Fairly knee jerk nonsense, really. You're right on what they're missing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Season 2 begins on 26 February. Hopefully it'll be as good as the first series.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/the-americans-to-return-in-february-20131226

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hurry up February!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Just noticed ITV are repeating series 1 from the start from tonight.

Get your wigs ready, back next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,593 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Matthew Rhys is excellent in this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Matthew Rhys is excellent in this

Yep I think he's stand out. I mean everybody, including the kids are really good, but Rhys seems to be on another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Thought the series 2 opener was solid if a little confusing.

Glad to hear Margo Martindale will be coming back.

Thought that was a really solid opener. Sets S2 up really well.

• Advertisement

I liked it too. Very strong cast all round in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

What channel is it back on, looked there on RTE player & don't see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Birdsong wrote: »
    What channel is it back on, looked there on RTE player & don't see it

Only the States for the moment.

Evil video games. Poor Henry. :D

Rhys flexing his wig and accent muscles yet again. Fun to see what's under the hair. He had to take out the kitchen boy.

One could be forgiven for thinking the Russian's have the upper hand here. Feeding Stan BS, new KGB couple*, new Directorate officer (I'm calling him Rod Stewart), still using honey traps to squeeze people. Did you guys notice the Ireland poster in the travel agency office? :P

The FBI's flying blind, trail gone cold and a bug which Gaad will be quite pissed off about when it's found. Methinks Stan's sixth sense and lack of patience will push things forward somehow.

*I guess I should have seen their deaths coming when Philip said we don't use our kids, but I was blind sided by it. Cold, brutal and savage. Really stuck me to my seat more than any show has in a while. Things now feel very lonely for Philip and Elizabeth, as they always have done, I guess.

Evil video games. Poor Henry. :D

Rhys flexing his wig and accent muscles yet again. Fun to see what's under the hair. He had to take out the kitchen boy.

One could be forgiven for thinking the Russian's have the upper hand here. Feeding Stan BS, new KGB couple*, new Directorate officer (I'm calling him Rod Stewart), still using honey traps to squeeze people. Did you guys notice the Ireland poster in the travel agency office? :P

The FBI's flying blind, trail gone cold and a bug which Gaad will be quite pissed off about when it's found. Methinks Stan's sixth sense and lack of patience will push things forward somehow.

*I guess I should have seen their deaths coming when Philip said we don't use our kids, but I was blind sided by it. Cold, brutal and savage. Really stuck me to my seat more than any show has in a while. Things now feel very lonely for Philip and Elizabeth, as they always have done, I guess.
    Hahaha, yes! They obviously have good taste.

They do seem to have the upper hand but I'm trying to think what year the show must be in now because things will doubtless get very ugly at some stage.

I like the character of the daughter and I think she'll become a big problem for them. She could be the decider - KGB or family.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    They do seem to have the upper hand but I'm trying to think what year the show must be in now because things will doubtless get very ugly at some stage.

I think it's early '82 as the Reagan assassination in March '81 happened fairly early last series and I'd have guessed about a year had passed since then. It could be a bit later as the Strategic Defence Initiative (Star Wars) was announced in March '83 but I don't think the general public know about it yet on the show, just the spies and the people working on it.

I think they've shown us why the Russians won't ultimately succeed when Arkady told Nina about all the nepotism leading to fools in important KGB roles. In reality it was the SDI that played a huge part in ending the cold war as the Soviet government refused to accept that the SDI was not plausible and bankrupted themselves trying to create similar technology. So Philip got the information that might have stopped the Soviet's from destroying their system but there are too many big egos who won't listen.

Has anyone read any books on the FBI and the Cold War.

Poor Paige!

tumblr_n1noy1aBOT1qaaufmo1_250.giftumblr_n1noy1aBOT1qaaufmo4_250.gif
    tumblr_n1noy1aBOT1qaaufmo2_250.giftumblr_n1noy1aBOT1qaaufmo6_250.gif
    tumblr_n1noy1aBOT1qaaufmo3_250.giftumblr_n1noy1aBOT1qaaufmo5_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

Season 2 supposed to be starting on ITV on March 15th at 9.20pm

http://www.geektown.co.uk/tvairdates/the-americans/

Did you catch all of the 80s references in this one? A little more subdued, still good.

The Israeli news on the TV and Arkady's dictating the report put the year as 1982, iirc.

I'm not sure the work men outside the house were up to something. Seems a tad obvious, but given last week's event it's understandable that everyone's now feeling a little paranoid. Also like that there's no jacking up sentimentality about the repercussions - it's just the cold reality Philip and Elizabeth have to deal with.

There's just no fluff or BS about the Russians in the Rezidentura. Not least in Nina's write up, ahem! Will be interesting to see where the walk in story goes. Think Stan is right not to pull him in just yet. I presume the number Paige was trying to reach was where the signal call came from. I'm not sure if there's a difference in what comes through on the house phone and what Elizabeth was listening to at the start of the episode.

Also, the shot of the chess board in Paul's place - felt like a nod to the whole FBI vs. KGB/Cold War era? And Paul's question about the settings/propeller machine might tap into what iguana posted above.

'You'd rather play Game of Life than watch Raiders of the Lost Ark - are you insane?!'

Quality. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Did you catch all of the 80s references in this one? A little more subdued, still good.

The Israeli news on the TV and Arkady's dictating the report put the year as 1982, iirc.

I'm not sure the work men outside the house were up to something. Seems a tad obvious, but given last week's event it's understandable that everyone's now feeling a little paranoid. Also like that there's no jacking up sentimentality about the repercussions - it's just the cold reality Philip and Elizabeth have to deal with.

There's just no fluff or BS about the Russians in the Rezidentura. Not least in Nina's write up, ahem! Will be interesting to see where the walk in story goes. Think Stan is right not to pull him in just yet. I presume the number Paige was trying to reach was where the signal call came from. I'm not sure if there's a difference in what comes through on the house phone and what Elizabeth was listening to at the start of the episode.

Also, the shot of the chess board in Paul's place - felt like a nod to the whole FBI vs. KGB/Cold War era? And Paul's question about the settings/propeller machine might tap into what iguana posted above.

'You'd rather play Game of Life than watch Raiders of the Lost Ark - are you insane?!'

Quality. :pac:

My eyes lit up when I saw that chess board!

Brilliantly understated episode. As Philip and Elizabeth try to balance their family life with their spy work, we really get a sense of their despair. I think this aspect of the show works so well.

I love the paranoia, the edginess, the uncertainty...the writers bring it all together in superb fashion. There are plenty of moving pieces on the board even this early in the season and the addition of the walk-in story looks very promising.

I also enjoyed the scene where Nina types up her report. We only get glimpses of what she said but what did she didn't say is the intriguing part. The music played over this scene was fantastic too.

So Martha's going to buy a gun. That surely can't end well for someone...hopefully her :P

Advertisement