Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Americans [FX - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Excellent ep. Thomas Schlamme delivers, as usual.

Firstly, mail robot's back. :D Every briefing should be done during Scrabble. Phlox? Grand.

The car surveillance was suitably tense. Matched by the tooth removal. I don't mind visiting the dentist, but ouch! Also, Henry. :eek: The rift over Paige continues to bubble through.

Babysitter thingy? Glad Oleg is staying - looking forward to more about stealth, too. Wonder if Stan's going to put his head together with his colleague?

If he starts singing he's a dead man... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Back in the 80s at least one high profile defector turned out not to be the real deal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitaly_Yurchenko
    And we're moving into the Andropov/ Chernenko period when nobody really knew which life-support case was actually running the Soviet Union. Them were the days.

There was another guy called Penkovsky who was rumoured to have been cremated alive. He wasn't but it makes for good TV.

His story is covered in the series "The Assets".

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

with the Brasil World Cup on last summer the schedule for The Americans was moved around a bit and so I missed a few episodes at the end of season 2 - anyone know where I can catch up?

Tried Youtube but don't see full episodes there
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAmericansFX/featured

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

rok wrote: »
    with the Brasil World Cup on last summer the schedule for The Americans was moved around a bit and so I missed a few episodes at the end of season 2 - anyone know where I can catch up?

Tried Youtube but don't see full episodes there
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAmericansFX/featured

I'm sure I'll get a torrent of abuse for saying this but I'm amazed you even need to ask. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Pretty for typical what this show does. After last week's car surveillance, we ease up on that side of things.

Some parallels in that teaser, for sure. Later on, I thought Paige was going to announce she wanted to become a nun. Also, holy vinyl, Batman.

I think we knew it was coming, nonetheless, Elizabeth certainly made her intentions clear!

Leniency for Nina? That doesn't sound very Russian, but I suppose when you want information you'll work all your sources. Mind you, it is Oleg's dad, so you never know. Everyone was faking it in this one, basically. I think Stan is right to follow his instincts even though he didn't find anything. Still, the Milky Bar was nice attempt.

I liked the notes of humour that crackled throughout. Now, that ad for body mist, wtf?

Wig of the week - Philip's fake ID bloke. Bonus point for the headphones with orange/red sponge thingies.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

My usual source is letting me down for episode 4. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Hold on that. Another source has presented itself. :)

This show is so good on so many levels!

From last weeks high tension of the car surveillance to this week's introspectiveness. Stan being honest with Sadra and Philip wondering wtf its all about when he has to woo a girl a little older then paige 'for the cause'.

I hope he stands up to Elizabeth on recruiting Paige.

The music, Only You by Yazoo, was the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Bad haircuts....Alison Moyet, Vince Clarke, bad weed....brings a tear to the eye...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Great episode, if only for the revelation that Yazoo were known as Yaz in the States! (for legal reasons). When they were initially talking about the record I thought it was Yazz of The Only Way Is Up fame :pac:

Great episode, if only for the revelation that Yazoo were known as Yaz in the States! (for legal reasons). When they were initially talking about the record I thought it was Yazz of The Only Way Is Up fame :pac:

So did I....would have been a major timeline error. Only when i heard the song at the end did the penny drop.

Unsurprisingly, ITV have dropped this.

WSJ interview with Holly Taylor who plays Paige. She sounds pretty grounded.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/02/18/the-americans-actress-holly-taylor-on-paiges-big-bombshell/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Unlike other popular shows, I don't think there's been a single episode of Americans that I didn't enjoy or where I got bored at any point. Great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

It's about time Stan started to suspect his neighbours. It will really ramp the tension up.

If the show lasts a few more seasons I can see it ending up with Philip turning against mother Russia and his wife leading to a season long cat n mouse game with his lovely missus with Stan & Paige in the mix.

Stan needs a vinyl collection!! :pac:

Stan needs a vinyl collection!! :pac:

It'd be like Stan to invest heavily in one. CDs are just round the corner.

CDs - the next chapter in decadent capitalism.

I wonder how Stan will begin to suspect Elziabeth and Philip. Will they drop the ball is some way? I can't see that happening. Will someone in the Russian Embassy give vital info, eventhough hardly anyone knows their identity in the first place there.

Intriguing...

it's hard to know alright. I think he'll be mostly glued to the alleged defector and maybe the half sketches Gaad and co. have will keep getting updated based on various wigs! It seems like the show often has the KGB a little bit ahead most of the time, whilst the FBI makes progress in very small steps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Another good episode, the bedroom scene with Philip and Elizabeth was the highlight.

Philip's experiences of spy training were as bad as Elizabeth's. This show is brilliant in showing the realities of espionage.

How is it doing in the ratings?

Kimberley is younger that Paige! Poor Philip. :(

Jeez, that training. Scary!!

Another excellent show.

Bed hopping was a reality of the life and not as glamorous as we'd like to imagine. I'm beginning to think he could get lifted for the underage sex angle. The kids at the drinking session clocked him as a wrong 'un. Last thing any agent needs is getting a tug and needing to call in their FBI friend for help. Either that or junior gets in trouble for dealing Afghan herb that is way above her street level.

Bed hopping was a reality of the life and not as glamorous as we'd like to imagine. I'm beginning to think he could get lifted for the underage sex angle.

That would be very interesting alright.

Reflection episode. Those flashbacks were rather creepy.

Press people when they're vulnerable, always.

Yousaf's comments were interesting. Henry gets dinner table some life philosophy and that car death was pretty nasty.

Meanwhile in Olegville...'defections reflect badly on the motherland'.

Speaking of the car death. Do we know why it had to happen?

The guy worked for Norcorp (or whatever the company's called).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Speaking of the car death. Do we know why it had to happen?

The guy worked for Norcorp (or whatever the company's called).

His death cleared the way for the woman Elizabeth was working to get his (now vacant) job in Norcorp which will give the russians access/information etc.

JohnK wrote: »
    His death cleared the way for the woman Elizabeth was working to get his (now vacant) job in Norcorp which will give the russians access/information etc.

Gotcha. :)

^ When it comes to sorting their pals out with jobs the Russians go that extra mile.

• Advertisement

I wonder where Elizabeth got the Labrador from. :D

Advertisement