Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Americans [FX - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Like others I've been avoiding the thread because of spoilers. It's safe now!

What a well-paced season. The juxtaposition of family life with spying in a foreign country was really well done.

Season 2 is set up nicely - the daughter having a little snoop downstairs sets her up as a potentially big character next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

It's a sad truth that the Jennings wigs would beat my real hair any day of the week.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Well that was fuçking fantastic! I wasn't sure about The Americans when it first started. It didn't meet my initial expectations and I worried it would become way too mission of the week for me. Yet every week I would find myself looking forward to each episode and get quite excited on Thursdays, which was when I'd normally watch it. Last week was excellent with Martha and 'Clark's' marriage and Nina's 'double defection' but this week's was just amazing. I was absolutely on edge as they went on their individual assignments and loved nearly everything about how they resolved it, from Nina telling Arkady that the FBI were onto something big and him then rolling up his sleeves and spraying the abort signal on the cars, to 'Granny' actually truly having P&E's back, to how professional both P&E are and how they were so easily able to adapt to the ambush. And even how earlier on Elizabeth even went back downstairs and folded the damn laundry.

I'm a bit worried for them though as Elizabeth's contact has now told Gaad about the Colonel who met Philip and when he realised that there was a set up he said "Elizabeth" fairly loudly which could end up as a clue if the Colonel remembers and tell the FBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Well caught iguana.. I was too busy gasping at the thought of Elizabeth being sprung that it didn't occur to me that Philip was giving her name away to the Colonel! Eeep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I had to catch up with a few episodes so I've been avoiding this thread for a while but....what a series! I've really enjoyed it from the word go and it's just gotten better and better as it went along.

The final episode really got the adrenalin pumping, it ticked so many boxes. The scene where the Feds had Philip and Elizabeth hemmed in was brilliant, I loved the fact that neither of them said anything to each other....there was just total trust in Philip's ability to get them out of there.

As someone said above, the secondary characters are outstanding and are really what make it for me. Stan is a fantastic character, there is so much to admire about him. He has that strong but vulnerable thing down to a tee.

And also as above, as soon as Philip said 'Elizabeth' out loud, I thought of the possible consequences further down the line.

The Clark/Martha sideshow is really interesting and provides some great humour. The look on Clark's face when she introduced him to her parents was priceless! Matthew Rhys must have had a great time doing this series, I think he has been outstanding.

I don't like comparing the two but Homeland could learn a lot from The Americans. I'm very much looking forward to seeing where this show goes next January. It has so many options and I think that's a sign of a really good television show.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22531001

Russians arrest an alleged CIA agent. Wigs and all. Have they been watching the show? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Just started watching this show 2 weeks ago on the recommendation of a friend and quickly got so interested I watched the entire first series. Thought it was very good..the season finale was very well done and while you can see some of the plot coming a mile off, there is enough to keep you in suspense aswell. I think the 2 main characters are very well played especially and I'll certainly tune in for the second season.

Also, being the shallow man that I am..Nina...sweet jaysus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Just finished this. Think it's a very good show. The finale was very strong. Hope it gets picked up for a second season.

EDIT: I see it already has. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

RTE have put together a pretty decent promo, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,596 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RTE have put together a pretty decent promo, imo.

I agree, think it starts here on 30th of May

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    ITV has picked it up

Starts on ITV the 1st of June 2013 at 10pm

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I agree, think it starts here on 30th of May

Yep. Promo here.

There are also a few interviews, but I think they're just ones that have been generally circulated rather than ones conducted over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how could you not like them both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

goodnight john-boy

RTE are going with double bills on this. That's a bit unexpected.

i don't know why they do that the show is worth showing once a week a week if you havn't already seen it

this show is hour long (40 mins) isn't it, 2 hrs its long time to spend watching one show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Came home saturday evening and stumbled on this. I had meant to watch it on rte during the week but forgot about it so decided to give it a go........Very impressed, thought it was fantastic stuff. The acting is top notch and its really well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i don't know why they do that the show is worth showing once a week a week if you havn't already seen it

this show is hour long (40 mins) isn't it, 2 hrs its long time to spend watching one show

i don't understand it either. They are obviously spending a lot of money to show it, and they rush it and ruin it, probably so they can fit in one of their awful "homegrown" shows.
    They did this when 24 was at a popular stage, they bought the show and played it at midnight on Friday nights :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Well, you know RTE... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Well with ITV showing it so soon after they might be trying to build a bit of loyalty in their Thursday night audience - particularly when More4 own a huge section of real estate that night.

• Advertisement

well they are showing this at 9, don't think many people can stay up late watching ther others shows that start at 11 or later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

How many episodes of this have I missed on RTE? I see they have a double bill this week, was there a double bill last week too??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

How many episodes of this have I missed on RTE? I see they have a double bill this week, was there a double bill last week too??

Just the pilot last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭brian_t

They've done it with Person of Interest (Mondays) and over the coming weeks they are doing it with Blue Bloods (Fridays) and Greys Anatomy (Tuesdays).

On Wednesdays TG4 are showing double-bills of Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

brian_t wrote: »
    On Wednesdays TG4 are showing double-bills of Breaking Bad.

Are those re-runs or new episodes?

Be grateful RTE are showing the show and in a prime time slot :P

ITV 1 are showing it Saturday nights at 10pm

Seems like it did OK on RTE re the ratings, but perhaps that's just a first week bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭brian_t

Seems like it did OK on RTE re the ratings, but perhaps that's just a first week bump.

According to Medialive the second episode was ranked 7th the next week with 95,000 viewers.

And the third episode at 10.25pm was ranked 12th with 83,000 viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thats not good for a fantastic show.

• Advertisement

how many watch the fall?

Advertisement