Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Americans [FX - Spoilers]

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

bit of anti-climax

i suspected in the previous episode that the fbi had suspected stan (particularily with the return of oleg) and they had been watching him.

I nearly thought stan would shoot himself in the garage but he was asked to look after henry

i thought they would make more of the gorbachev plot, like despite him saying he didn't care, by how much did stan decide what they and oleg was doing was more important then arresting them

i thought paige going back to the safe house and drinking the russia drink was indication she wanted to continue as a spy maybe as triple agent

like how do any of them know they are safe as the challenges to gorbachev continue

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Very glad they went the way they did - no big action scenes but instead focused on character.
    Highlight for me, as it seems for everyone, is the garage scene. Stan's raw hurt as Philip was brutally honesty was perfect. He didn't glamorise it, he didn't excuse it, it just was the way things turned out.
    Poor Henry though - Philip was absolutely right not to involve him but the phone call :( Henry, utterly oblivious (as usual!) to what was happening just rolling his eyes at his "drunk" dad. Thankfully Stan is there for him and that's something that's been there for years now.

Excellent show. It may indeed have been criminally overlooked by many but it doesn't really matter - we still got six seasons of it and it went out on a high.

There's a few words from the writers here about the finale, worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

It isn't really in the show's nature, but part of me would have loved a Marvel style post-credit scene of Phillip going about his daily business in Moscow such as in a supermarket only to turn a corner and bump into Martha, both of whom remain speechless.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It isn't really in the show's nature, but part of me would have loved a Marvel style post-credit scene of Phillip going about his daily business in Moscow such as in a supermarket only to turn a corner and bump into Martha, both of whom remain speechless.
    I really wanted a Martha cameo too! While funny coincidences like that are not indeed the show's style - imagine the comedy moment. "Oh hi Martha. Sorry for screwing your life over and making you a traitor to your country. Hey, fancy some zharkoye ? "

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

The episode was great, one of the better series finales I've watched. Emmerich, Rhys and Russell have to get some recognition at the Emmys this year for the garage scene alone.

Out of everything that happened in the episode, the one part that stood out to me was Oleg father's helpless gesture as he left Arkady. Great acting.

I'll miss this show. It never had the popularity of shows like Breaking Bad or The Sopranoes, but at its best it was on their level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Overall, I thought it was a good finale but not perfect. Better than Breaking Bad's ending but not quite up there with The Shield.

One thing though: maybe I missed something, but how did Philip and Elizabeth arrange to meet Arkady in Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

One thing though: maybe I missed something, but how did Philip and Elizabeth arrange to meet Arkady in Russia?

When they crossed the boarder in the car, they informed the boarder gaurd and got him to make a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

davo2001 wrote: »
    When they crossed the boarder in the car, they informed the boarder gaurd and got him to make a call.

Ah OK, thought that was meant to be a tension filled "will they get caught?" moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I really liked this quote from the writers' interview:
    It’s a show about parenthood, and very close friendships. The most interesting scenes in our show are when people are talking to each other, and yelling at each other; it’s all these people baring their souls

It shows how well they know their own show. I never expected a big action scene in the finale for this reason. The closed we got to that was Phillip's chase scene in the previous episode.

I can't imagine any action scene to be as powerful as that garage scene.

parenthood was the cover and they left they lost it

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Very glad they went the way they did - no big action scenes but instead focused on character.
    Highlight for me, as it seems for everyone, is the garage scene. Stan's raw hurt as Philip was brutally honesty was perfect. He didn't glamorise it, he didn't excuse it, it just was the way things turned out.
    Poor Henry though - Philip was absolutely right not to involve him but the phone call :( Henry, utterly oblivious (as usual!) to what was happening just rolling his eyes at his "drunk" dad. Thankfully Stan is there for him and that's something that's been there for years now.

Excellent show. It may indeed have been criminally overlooked by many but it doesn't really matter - we still got six seasons of it and it went out on a high.

There's a few words from the writers here about the finale, worth a read.

curious about "Philip, in defending his spy life, appeals to Stan’s sense of practicality and mediocrity as an agent." is this article saying Stan was mediocre or his heart wasn't in it any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭zell12

How did they not get caught crossing the border on the train?
    Surely a discreet foot crossing would be better?
    6JqpyxB.jpg?1iRZZsJx.jpg?1
    Elizabeth relived having not been caught by the FBI border, and then looking up and seeing Paige deciding to remain on the platform - superb acting there from the three.
    And that 80s McDonalds. Real original drive-thru, overhead menu, uniforms, packaging..
    And did you see the passenger on the plane! Yes smoking :eek:
    Zy1byCw.jpg?1

Stan's jaw dropping in the garage when Philip said René!
    René's eyes in the driveway leads me to think she is indeed a spy
    BpjDENR.jpg?1
    Where did they cross the USSR border in a Volvo? Signs are in Polish, Russian, English
    YXEhEKx.jpg?1

Paige is clever, possibly a future Anna Chapman
    Paige: "Do you think we can trust him [Stan]?"
    Philip: "Yes"
    WjnLNL8.jpg?1

Inspiring soundtrack, seriously authentic scenes, gear and lots of non-verbal.
    That garage scene and final ending after years made me emotional.

EncoreEncoreEncore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Finally caught up by watching 6 episodes back to back. Wow. So sorry to see it end but also delighted to see it end well.

I was preparing myself for Renee to show up out of nowhere to shoot Stan in the car park but that would have been too cruel on Stan.

I would love if they could develop a Paige centric show set in modern times with her not being a spy but living a secret life in America doing something shady.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mr.S wrote: »
    So...is Renee a spy?!

Some people think she's Mossad. Think they dangled enough in front of us to make her seem a bit off anyway. Long game.
    zell12 wrote: »
    How did they not get caught crossing the border on the train?
    Surely a discreet foot crossing would be better?

It was a little like they were dangling the border agent doing a double check to keep us in suspense, but if they got away from Stan, a border cop didn't seem likely to catch up. Many years in wigs and avoiding too much suspicion.

so is stan going to keep up renee long enough for him to get out of the fbi andthen dump her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

so is stan going to keep up renee long enough for him to get out of the fbi andthen dump her?

Why is that left open?

is there going to be a spin-off

I must be one of the few that don't care for a soundtrack

I thought the FBI investigations were the most interesting part of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I forgot all about this episode until tonight. Not bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was nice :)

It would be cool if something came out of it. You could see some glimmers of maybes of a future from some of them. Holly Taylor (Paige) didn't know but like.. she didn't seem to want to exclude the idea.

I was also totally locked on to Matthew Rhys accent. It was switching from Philip to English to Welsh.

Checked.. he's Welsh :)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Rhys

Keidrich Sellati (Henry) about 80s fashion!!! :D So true!!! Hashtag Morto! :D

Finally, so glad the directors wanted both Americans and Russians to get the show :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Just finished this, started it a couple of weeks ago and was hooked.
    Very good series that was solid throughout and ended very well, some tv shows tend to get a little lost as they go through the seasons like blacklist for example.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Watched this over the summer, last episode last night. Never heard about anything about it - was on a recommended internet list. Can't believe no one has seen this show, it was absolutely brilliant. From start to finish it was incredibly tense and kept you on your toes. Thought the ending was great especially Paige on the station platform. Poor Stan and Henry.

Elizabeth was a complete **** for the entire last season

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looking for some more Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich)? He's playing a very similar style personality in The Spy.

Thread about it here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058006662

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Slydice wrote: »
    Looking for some more Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich)? He's playing a very similar style personality in The Spy.

Thread about it here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058006662

I watched two episodes of The Spy and I thought it was rubbish - no where near as good as The Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I just finished it all last night. Loved the show so much. I'm so sad for everyone. Poor Henry, Paige and Stan. Elizabeth is going to be either very bored or have PTSD after everything calms down.

I'll miss it. Been watching since the start of lockdown in March. Well done to the writers, they finished it so well. The scene in the parking lot was stunning.

So many fantastic episodes over the years. I'm so glad Philip and Elizabeth stayed together, they were a brilliant team.

Advertisement