Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Americans [FX - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Back tonight.

Interview with the producers.

Would say it's spoiler free, but avoid if you don't want to risk reading.

Quietly nuanced, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Nice introduction back into the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

That is one lady who is not threatened by muggers. And she cooks and goes to church. Bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Back where? Rte?

Started last night in the US. We get it by using magic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That was entertaining. But the last scene........
    Could Philip have moved any slower there? Bloody hell. I thought he was going to knock first and politely ask, "Have you killed her yet? If not, I can come back in a few minutes".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Off to a good start. Irish pub and all, but yet again there's a glimpse of an Ireland poster.

That pool scene certainly was Elizabeth, eh? Just dunk her in there. So was the one where she clobbered the FBI. Not sure how often Gaad gets out on the street, but maybe he does when a target might be out there. That motorbike thing was fairly handy timing! Who was she tutoring later on the ep? Obviously she wins wig of the week, no contest.

They've certainly set out some big themes to come. Paige and potential division at home, Gabriel, further loneliness for Stan, I suspect, the CIA and Afghanistan, and the dynamics at the Residence - Oleg's opinions and the new woman's review of assets, I believe she called it. Martha's armed in more than one way.

One of these days we'll have a recap that starts with 'previously on creepy pastors...'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Brilliant opener. So much going on and yet the viewer doesn't feel overwhelmed by it.

The storyline about Paige being indoctrinated and the contrast between what Elizabeth wants and what Philip wants is superbly done. I wonder will Brezhnev's death have any impact on proceedings.

You get the sense that it won't be too long before Beeman starts to get suspicious about Elizabeth and Philip... I'm looking forward to this artist's impression of the female agent!

I'll be keeping an eye on the ratings over the next few weeks. Really hope the show survives for another season after this, at the very least. It deserves to be wrapped up properly and not end too abruptly.

Are the ratings poor? This is so much better than most crap on tv. If Generic "Talent" show 57 survives and this gets canned, I think I might just give up on network tv altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Around the two million mark. Not sure how much of a drop it can afford to take but you'd hope it doesn't go too much lower.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-americans-season-three-ratings-35485/

• Advertisement

Good interview with Rhys. No spoilers for season 3.

Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Good episode this week. However the sounds from the suitcase will stay with me for a loooong time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nice cameo from Tony Kornheiser in the bar too (fans of American sports will know him).

But you're right, that suitcase was an awful scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    Good episode this week. However the sounds from the suitcase will stay with me for a loooong time.

IT was horrific.

Two Russian spies walk into a bar.

Continuing the show's key habit - understated. Push the characters' emotional pressure points. A few shades of discord between Elizabeth and Philip, Stan is suffering, as usual. Paige gets some profile with a little more adult intellectual curiosity.

The body disposal gymnastics were suitably unsexy. So, too, was the arrival of defector - that first taste of free air, and chocolate. The FBI/CIA relationship is going to be an interesting part of the rest of the season.

Not sure what's going to happen with Nina. Minister for Railways, that's a new one. They had fun with the bit about Reagan visiting the embassy.

'This isn't a prison for innocent people'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

I just watched episode two now.

I think Elizabeth's patriotic speech at the end has finally convinced Philip to recruit Paige.

Those bones breaking. Ugh.

Nine looks great in a tracksuit top. :)

Poor Stan. He's lost at sea, emotionally. :(

I love this show.

You know how they say beware of a man who owns a pig farm? Well, not anymore.

Beware the suitcase salesman! And I don't think I'll be able to enjoy the Airport anymore :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

Does anyone know when the new series is back on RTE 2?
    Thanks.

I dunno. I'd say email them. They were repeating the show late in the evening/early morning some other week there, iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I had to take off my headphones for that scene...... jesus.

I have a dentists appointment on Tuesday, so the auld fast forward came in handy.

Philip: Single malt, Irish Whiskey.

Elizabeth: The best of the best.

Yet another good episode. :)

Philip: Single malt, Irish Whiskey.

Elizabeth: The best of the best.

Yet another good episode. :)

If Russians know one thing, it's alcohol. I'm not often proud of this little rock, but two Russian spies having a midlife crisis while stalking some jerk have put a smile on my face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Damn, that was some episode. I needed a whiskey myself after it.

So the defector that Stan is looking after...
    might not be so defectory.

Crumbs wrote: »
    Damn, that was some episode. I needed a whiskey myself after it.

So the defector that Stan is looking after...
    might not be so defectory.

He picked up on something during the interview alright.

Yup.

"...Tell them what they want to hear. Over and over again....."

Oh Stan you magnificent genius you. Can spot a Trojan horse from a mile off and cant tell that two of them live across the street from him. :p

Back in the 80s at least one high profile defector turned out not to be the real deal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitaly_Yurchenko
    And we're moving into the Andropov/ Chernenko period when nobody really knew which life-support case was actually running the Soviet Union. Them were the days.

There was another guy called Penkovsky who was rumoured to have been cremated alive. He wasn't but it makes for good TV.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

And iirc, the TV presenter who was interviewing Zenadia is a KGB asset who pretends to be a pro-US neocon in order to earn trusts that he can use to Soviet advantage.

As for the teeth pulling scene, I never thought it pissible that something could be so utterly horrifying and unspeakably sexy at the same time. It was amazing, I couldn't take my eyes off it, even though I really wanted to.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    And iirc, the TV presenter who was interviewing Zenadia is a KGB asset who pretends to be a pro-US neocon in order to earn trusts that he can use to Soviet advantage.

As for the teeth pulling scene, I never thought it pissible that something could be so utterly horrifying and unspeakably sexy at the same time. It was amazing, I couldn't take my eyes off it, even though I really wanted to.

Agree on all counts. :)

Advertisement