Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2013 outings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

ssbob wrote: »
    Each event is ranked and you get points for the positions you finish. Then we picked the best 5 of 7 events throughout the year and the Top 10 got in based on that.

How do you rank the competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

jtown wrote: »
    I am the secretary of the local society and trying to think of ways to include more.

I was thinking of getting your stable ford score multiply by 2 and winner at the end of the year wins.

We only have 5 outings a year and if you win 2 events your home and hosed. The consistent players isn't rewarded.

What you think?

The prob with the stableford method is if you have an eady course and the winner has 45pts then you play the Old Head or something on a tough day and the winner has 26pts, there is a serious disparity.

I think our method is solid enough, maybe next year we may not have as big a gap between 1st,2nd,3rd etc......but it rewarded those who played the best.

There has to be a premium on the win for definite.

You wanna set up a thread to ask some opinions?

jtown wrote: »
    How do you rank the competitions?

Sorry that was a typo, all comps are the same points.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

jtown

I think we use the Fed Ex points system for allocating points towards the order of merit.

it's top heavy for the winners all right, but everyone who plays gets points, and ssbob says, it rewards the players who come out on top.

IMO there is a bit to much of a big gap between winning / second / third and further down the line. It suits systems with more events better, but as we have so few events, I think a tighter points allocation would suit better

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

stevieob wrote: »
    jtown

I think we use the Fed Ex points system for allocating points towards the order of merit.

it's top heavy for the winners all right, but everyone who plays gets points, and ssbob says, it rewards the players who come out on top.

IMO there is a bit to much of a big gap between winning / second / third and further down the line. It suits systems with more events better, but as we have so few events, I think a tighter points allocation would suit better

I would agree fully with stevieob on this. The fedex system is a good layout but I think we could look at reducing the gap between 1,2,3,4 in relation to 5 down.

• Advertisement

100 - 1st place
    75 - 2nd
    37.....etc

edit... i just had a look at the GOY rankings, and recalculated them with these points.

TBH not a lot of difference really, same guy came out on top, slight re-jig in top ten with fixed coming in tied 10th.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

keep the comments coming lads. I am going to unstick this thread shortly but might open up a BGS comments thread instead.

Right lads, I'm after booking the week beforehand off so I can get loads of practice in. Don't know if that will be a good thing though!!!

Anyone interested in hooking up for a game let me know and we'll see if we can arrange something.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,877 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I was on a holiday there, I'm going BTW.

I would have Stevie. But in work.

Prepare to fail. Fail to prepare (sic)

Any chance we can set up a pm with all members and talk tic tacs ?

Dont want Technodub and the Reps looking in. Like a band from the 90s or something that. Lads if we lose to them. I'm joing Tigerwood's Pitch an Putt Soc.

So all ideas welcome. I've never played in a pairing so would welcome pm or group pm for ideas, does this mean I can go for first green in Heritage.

Joke. Sort of.
    Last thing we want is wrong drinks, balls. Then Keano jumping on a plane back home.
    Just imagine if we have no pencil on the first.

So we should calibrate our GPS' s ,fire our lasers at each other and i'll use my eye and see which is most accurate.

Im taking this very serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Dont want Technodub and the Reps looking in. Like a band from the 90s or something that. Lads if we lose to them. I'm joing Tigerwood's Pitch an Putt Soc.

So all ideas welcome. I've never played in a pairing so would welcome pm or group pm for Iideas, does this mean I can go for first green in Heritage.

Joke. Sort of.
    Last thing we want is wrong drinks balls. Then Keano jumping on a plane back home.

So we should calibrate our GPS' s ,fire our lasers at each other and ill use my eye and see which is most accurate.

Jeez pitch gotta lay off the sauce:) I hear you mate.

• Advertisement

I wish Scub.

All joking aside - a few tips or ideas if any please. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭technodub

So all ideas welcome. I've never played in a pairing so would welcome pm or group pm for ideas, does this mean I can go for first green in Heritage.

Joke. Sort of.
    Last thing we want is wrong drinks, balls. Then Keano jumping on a plane back home.

So we should calibrate our GPS' s ,fire our lasers at each other and i'll use my eye and see which is most accurate.

Lets be honest most of the members of the reps society are too old to use computers if I sat them down in front of one they would probably start shouting and waving angry fists at it! If you wana talk tactics go right ahead il close my eyes! Im going to pitch it again this year but if all goes well we should try and organise a weekend next year were we play fourball then singles on the sunday with a couple of fizzy drinks in between !:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I wish Scub.

All joking aside - a few tips or ideas if any please. Looking forward to it.

Think it's fourball format. So on the green you can putt in any order as your a team. So let's say my partner has a putt for birdie and I'm off the green. I'll do my best to get a 4 so it's a free putt for birdie.
    From the tee 1 could play for position while the other goes for distance.
    On the approach if 1 hits the green the the other can attack.

All great in theory, but we are amateurs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Have to agree, guys where are we with the teams etc, have the handicaps etc been agreed, would be good also to get out for a game beforehand,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Hi lads, just wanted to say what a fantastic group yous have going here I remember when yous were first looking at setting this up and I personally thought it would never work. Going through the thread this evening and its great to see so many outings and something to play for at the end of the year with the team competition it really has been a huge success looking from the outside. Well done all involved :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've got to withdraw from the Ryder Jug :(

Just found out it is clashing with the date of another tournament that means everything to me.

By Christ ssbob you better be the best sub ever :D

Just found out it is clashing with the date of another tournament that means everything to me.

**** one - but great sub - so all happy now - felt bad in the main man's spot :)

Happy to be joining up with the squad and hopefully reuniting my partnership with Kiers47, you'll have to carry me for one more day mate:D

Sorry to see you have to drop out Keano.

Welcome to the team ssbob.

I hope we don't get a day like that on the 26th...... jaysus you'd get drowned just putting the milk bottles out!

You'll be missed Keano, we'll just have to bring it home for you.

Another early start for ssbob, I'm not buying that car off you. Too many miles!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ballyk

Ben1977 wrote: »

Another early start for ssbob, I'm not buying that car off you. Too many miles!!

Don't mention the war - sure he broke down the day of the Mitchelstown outing...

Ben I'll do you a good deal, I don't know what Ballyk is talking about:rolleyes: sure his car doesn't even have a roof!:D
    ballyk wrote: »
    Don't mention the war - sure he broke down the day of the Mitchelstown outing...

Ben I'll do you a good deal, I don't know what Ballyk is talking about:rolleyes: sure his car doesn't even have a roof!:D

stil driving that wheelbarrow ballyk?

I wonder will the weather give us a breaker on Saturday? The heritage will be able to copy with all the rain but will we be able for it!

I wonder will the weather give us a breaker on Saturday? The heritage will be able to copy with all the rain but will we be able for it!

Is it good with rain?

Is it good with rain?

Would imagine it is, not really a hilly course but not flat at all. Fairways are always well sanded during the year. Open as well so the wind will be helping to dry it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Lads what's the arrangements for Saturday? Looking forward to this now. Hope the weathers not as bad as this weekend.

3putt wrote: »
    Lads what's the arrangements for Saturday? Looking forward to this now. Hope the weathers not as bad as this weekend.

Hopefully Pete will be able to help you out with both those questions!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭paulos53

After all the rain, I assume that the bunkers will be in even worse condition than the day we had our outing there.

If they are in play on Saturday could we implement a "Rake and Place" rule for the Ryder Jug?

Advertisement