Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2013 outings

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

It Looks a cracker ,

Here is the description from the Website

The philosophy in developing the Smurfit course was to ensure that a comparison with the existing Palmer Ryder Cup Course would be difficult and that the golfers experience would be completely different. When this brief was given to the Palmer Course Design Company, they came up with a concept, which was radical with regards to golf course developments throughout the World.

An Inland Golf Links

The best way to describe The Palmer Smurfit Course at The K Club is that of an inland links. However, its true attributes do not stop there. The Course has many dramatic landscapes with dune type mounding throughout. This assists in making the course into a true Championship Golf Course with many vantage points for spectators to view golf professionals at work.In essence the course is entirely different from The Palmer Ryder Cup Course located just across the River Liffey. From feedback to date golfers state that it is almost impossible to make a comparison such is the difference in experience.

Even with regard to the landscaping there is a significant difference, whereby on The Palmer Ryder Cup Course there are specifically planted areas using cultivated plants presented in a formal fashion are the norm. On The Palmer Smurfit Course wild species of plants have been used such as gorse, bracken etc. and have been planted in a highly random fashion, more or less as nature would have intended.

Also four islands have been created within the lakes to promote the establishment of waterfowl.Special Golf Holes to play:* 3rd (Kingfisher Realm)* 4th (Heron Pond)* 7th (Swallow Quarry)* 16th (Little Grebe Dive)* 17th (Otter's Holt)* 18th (Swan Island)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Just looking there on Golfers digest , its Ranked 42 , which would be the highest ranked course we would have played this season.

Maybe Kevin Markham would have a better idea on it , I know its not his favourite course in the world ,

I think they charge €60 for an early bird and Twilight rate and then €120 in between so it seems a decent offer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,877 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Just looking there on Golfers digest , its Ranked 42 , which would be the highest ranked course we would have played this season.

Maybe Kevin Markham would have a better idea on it , I know its not his favourite course in the world ,

I think they charge €60 for an early bird and Twilight rate and then €120 in between so it seems a decent offer

Sounds great . Just a date whenever ye can for both events.

Leave etc.
    Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ballyk

On the captains day folks ,

The date in October is going to be too close to the Ryder Jug,

Some the lads had been saying to me that it would be nice to get a stay over on one of the events for people to get to know each other more and have a few pints.

Anyway we have an offer on the K Club and an overnight in the Glenn Royal with bed and breakfast and a 3 course meal

The golf would be €50 and the hotel would be €60 ,

The date would be the 28th of September

What do you think ???

I'd be on for it. I'm not a big fan of the Smurfit course but for that price you can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

ballyk wrote: »
    I'd be on for it. I'm not a big fan of the Smurfit course but for that price you can't go wrong.

I'd be up for it too I'd say. Couldn't commit to the overnight yet but should have no problem making the golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Got the bad news last night that we have a family gig on 18th August so if it goes ahead on this date I'll be another drop out.... :( go on and change it.....

On the Smurfit course, I've played it a good few times, mind you a while ago now... The description of an inland links suits it, but from memory, the difference would be the fairways wouldn't be what you get on a links, more lush parkland style than sandy linx ones.

Actually, I think it is quite similar in style to the Heritage. I know there is a lot of criticism about the course, but I quite like it. Their feature hole is pretty spectacular. I think they got guys in from Disneyland or somewhere link that to create it, spent millions on just one hole. You would never know by looking at it, that it is all man made artificial rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

stevieob wrote: »
    Got the bad news last night that we have a family gig on 18th August so if it goes ahead on this date I'll be another drop out.... :( go on and change it.....

On the Smurfit course, I've played it a good few times, mind you a while ago now... The description of an inland links suits it, but from memory, the difference would be the fairways wouldn't be what you get on a links, more lush parkland style than sandy linx ones.

Actually, I think it is quite similar in style to the Heritage. I know there is a lot of criticism about the course, but I quite like it. Their feature hole is pretty spectacular. I think they got guys in from Disneyland or somewhere link that to create it, spent millions on just one hole. You would never know by looking at it, that it is all man made artificial rock!

Yes very similiar to the heritage and Dunmurry springs with the tall grass in the rough. Open to the elements again, so wind plays a big part on the course.

Just thinking out loud here lads, so bear with me.

Going forward to next year and so on, having a meal and a night away after the Captain's day seems to be a great idea. Was wondering if it would be an idea to allow people to pay into the boards society account during the outings. Then the Captain's day would be more manageable on the cost front.

I know it would add to the work load of the commttiee, keeping account of this money, but might be worth think off.

If we set the Captain's day in stone early in the year, we might be able to get a better deal and we would have a better choice. A couple of courses spring to mind. The complexes with hotels would be the place to start, some spring to mind.

The Heritage
    Carton House
    Dundrum Co. Tipp
    Blarney
    Mount Wolseley
    Castleknock
    Knightbrook
    Lough Erne
    Fota
    Castle Dargan
    Glasson
    Ballykisteen

I could go on and on. Sorry very quiet in work this morning.

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Just thinking out loud here lads, so bear with me.

Going forward to next year and so on, having a meal and a night away after the Captain's day seems to be a great idea. Was wondering if it would be an idea to allow people to pay into the boards society account during the outings. Then the Captain's day would be more manageable on the cost front.

I know it would add to the work load of the commttiee, keeping account of this money, but might be worth think off.

If we set the Captain's day in stone early in the year, we might be able to get a better deal and we would have a better choice. A couple of courses spring to mind. The complexes with hotels would be the place to start, some spring to mind.

The Heritage
    Carton House
    Dundrum Co. Tipp
    Blarney
    Mount Wolseley
    Castleknock
    Knightbrook
    Lough Erne
    Fota
    Castle Dargan
    Glasson
    Ballykisteen

I could go on and on. Sorry very quiet in work this morning.

Tis a great idea ,

The idea was only put forward this year as people we asking about it ,

Ideally we want to keep the course cost at €30 per person so were going a bit outside our remit in looking into a course @ €50 ,

Thats why it was posted up here first to see if there was a real appetite .

Mount Wolseley for the Captains day was perfect bar it meant two outings in the one month which did not suit people.

Im looking into other options for the Captains day also, also if there was a stay over there would be no obligation on people to do so , they could play their round , have their dinner and head off.

To be honest I think the K Club may be a bit saucey for a lot of the southern folks who play with us when you factor in diesel, travel time , cost of the day/night you could prob get a weekend away with her indoors for the same.

Also we need to make a call on August outing ,

Ya, lets sort next outing first, time is flying this year with the good weather. Maybe just the meal and golf for this years Captains day to keep the costs down and then we can play for next year. Could Mount Wolseley accommodate us in September? It would be a shame, as its a great course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,877 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Good idea Ben.

But yes ,too many things going on.
    We are in good hands.

Ill go for drink at last outing. Will post nearer the day when all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I nominate Ben1977 for next years captain!

I nominate Ben1977 for next years captain!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! But I'll take a back sit for the moment. Don't want to step on any toes. Lads are doing an A1 job, was just thinking out load.

so is the next outing confirmed for 18th or could it change with all the dropouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

so is the next outing confirmed for 18th or could it change with all the dropouts?

As of now it is the 18th but the committee is working tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure that as many ppl as possible can make the next event so we are looking at either the weekend before or the weekend after! Will post up ASAP about the next event!

ssbob wrote: »
    As of now it is the 18th but the committee is working tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure that as many ppl as possible can make the next event so we are looking at either the weekend before or the weekend after! Will post up ASAP about the next event!

See I told you, they were doing an A1 job. Any chance you guys could run the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'm available 17th/18th but can't make the following 2 weekends just to give ye an idea of numbers! ;)

I could probably make the 18th, but would have to be first out and may need to come straight home depending on whether i qualify for the playoff in the presidents prize or not :)

if it makes a difference i can do 17th, 18th is definately out for me....... unless it was an 8am tee time in druids glen :)

I could make that weekend (17th/18th) but not the previous weekend (10th/11th).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

11th is gone for me now too

Lads is it a bit harsh on fellas who kept the 18th free to change it at this late stage? I know it's impossible to suit everyone but hadn't the 18th been confirmed in Tulferris, no? I know we need to get as many to each outing as we can so I'm just putting it out there to see what fellas think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

denisoc16 wrote: »
    Lads is it a bit harsh on fellas who kept the 18th free to change it at this late stage? I know it's impossible to suit everyone but hadn't the 18th been confirmed in Tulferris, no? I know we need to get as many to each outing as we can so I'm just putting it out there to see what fellas think.

It's a bit harsh alright but I think the Saturday outings work better for people. The only other event we had on a Sunday we nearly had to cancel due to lack of people committing to it. The committee are just trying to make it as fair as possible for the majority. It is never going to suit everybody all the time.

kiers47 wrote: »
    It's a bit harsh alright but I think the Saturday outings work better for people. The only other event we had on a Sunday we nearly had to cancel due to lack of people committing to it. The committee are just trying to make it as fair as possible for the majority. It is never going to suit everybody all the time.

Oh I definitely agree that Saturdays probably suit better than Sundays. It's just that this particular outing was flagged for that Sunday for a while. Look it's not a major deal. If it's changed, it's changed.

Grand job lads, the 10th it is, in Thurles. Just submitting the release forms. May take up til the 9th to process.

So if I play Tulfarris on the 18th, does that mean I can pick up 500 points if you guys are in Thurles? :)

the wife informs me we are away that weekend. have fun all :)

now I'm confused...

So now we have a teamer message sent out for 10th in Thurles.... presumably to replace the one that was cancelled there back in March (or was it April?)

Is there then also a game the following week in Tulfarris? or has this one also been shifted?

now I'm confused...

So now we have a teamer message sent out for 10th in Thurles.... presumably to replace the one that was cancelled there back in March (or was it April?)

Is there then also a game the following week in Tulfarris? or has this one also been shifted?

Think tulfarris is cancelled as it did not suit most. Thurles replaces it on the 10th.

I was just taking the piss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Maybe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Well that caught me on the hop, thought it would be scheduled for the following week(the week after Tulfarris) :(
    Brownie points were earned by committing up until the last weekend of the month.
    If I'm there, I'll be the one stinking of drink!

Would anyone be passing through Trim en route?

Advertisement