Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Against the head

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Didn't he have a show on Setanta briefly with a more traditional desk-and-panel format? TalkSport or something like that? IIRC he was good with that format which backs up your point

Yeah he did, was a good show too.

It had a strange set up though as both Kimmage and McDevitt looked to be equal hosts, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Berticus wrote: »
    I actually think Shane Horgan would do a good job as the new McGurk... He was pitch side with ROG there recently asking him a load of questions and thought he came across well in that role. Irrespective, as a pundit I think Horgan has come on a serious amount in the last year or two. Can't stand O'Brien...
    Hagz wrote: »
    Oh god no. The show would have to be extended an hour to accommodate him.

He's a gasbag. Knowledgeable but a) over technical, b) verbose, c) too close to the current players....like Frankie and the laughable MOTM awards he gives to his clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I actually wouldn't mind Quinlan giving it a bash to be honest - seems laid back and egoless enough to let the panel do the talking. Has done a few interviews for IRFU's internet channel which have been grand. And heck even if he does butt in the odd time, he is actually qualified to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

jacothelad wrote: »
    He's a gasbag. Knowledgeable but a) over technical, b) verbose, c) too close to the current players....like Frankie and the laughable MOTM awards he gives to his clients.

How do you avoid being technical while talking about technical aspects of the game? Whatever about his delivery (which he's improved on), he brings more insight than anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

19543261 wrote: »
    How do you avoid being technical while talking about technical aspects of the game? Whatever about his delivery (which he's improved on), he brings more insight than anyone.

Horgan is coming on rightly, I think he just rushes his delivery of the technical things and with a bit more experience he should stop that. But he's made a good transition from player to working in-front of the camera, not a lot of players are able to do that well, so my I tip my hat to him and hope he continues to improve.

Just keep in mind how great it is to have someone who does not resort to cliches on a regular basis to make points.
    I actually wouldn't mind Quinlan giving it a bash to be honest - seems laid back and egoless enough to let the panel do the talking. Has done a few interviews for IRFU's internet channel which have been grand. And heck even if he does butt in the odd time, he is actually qualified to do so.

Yeah, I've seen those videos too and I agree with you. He's certainly not the worse option by any means so hopefully in time he'll be given a go.

• Advertisement

padser wrote: »
    Rubbish. Sexton would make a far better host.

ROG knows how to close out a TV show in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Horgan is coming on rightly, I think he just rushes his delivery of the technical things and with a bit more experience he should stop that. But he's made a good transition from player to working in-front of the camera, not a lot of players are able to do that well, so my I tip my hat to him and hope he continues to improve.

I think he rushes his delivery because he's so constantly interrupted. It'd become an almost reflex habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Morf wrote: »
    Eoin McDevitt (who I very much like as a journalist) doesn't know what to do physically on TV. Keep an eye on his hand/arm gestures on Second Captains Live. Not that I'd see it as an insurmountable obstacle but it isn't fantastic optics.

Bring back Matty Williams, Franno and Dr. Emmet Byrne. As long as Matty isn't allowed to mention 7s . . . .

Is Shag Horgan pursuing a career in Law in London? That might be an obstacle to greater TV commitments in Ireland.

Matty Williams? Shag Horgan? You've just highlighted what's wrong with Matt Williams right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Unfortunately we just don't have decent media talent in this country. That's not to say we, as Irish people, aren't good at it, quite the contrary, but all the good ones go over seas. Why work for RTE, which imo is a joke shop production, when you can work for BT or BBC or Sky?

For all the stick he gets guys like Craig Doyle are far, far better anchors than McGuirk or O'Brien.

Sheehan and Quinlan tonight. This isn't going to be painful clichéd or munster preferenced at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Matty Williams? Shag Horgan? You've just highlighted what's wrong with Matt Williams right there.

Tongue may have been somewhat in cheek at points.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,963 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sheehan and Quinlan tonight. This isn't going to be painful clichéd or munster preferenced at all...

Did you survive?

phog wrote: »
    Did you survive?

Yeah twas grand, They think we should play it loose against Wales though to score more try's. Can't say I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Yeah twas grand, They think we should play it loose against Wales though to score more try's. Can't say I agree.

I would say that is exactly what Wales would want. Why change a good thing? The gameplan to date has seen no side come up with the right answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't fully remember, but didn't we shake things up last year against Wales? Gatland spent the whole week before the game saying he knew exactly what we were going to do, then we did something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The Welsh wouldn't like a loose, high tempo, off the cuff offloading game. That's never been their way.

Sweet mother.

Beating Wales has always been through a really tight, effective pack performance. All or our points last season came through the breakdown and set piece. Why would we want to employ a game that would play right into the natural Welsh game?

Gatland might like his crash rugby but the Welsh players are very comfortable flinging the ball and getting on the shoulder of the carrier in open play; much more than we are.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I don't fully remember, but didn't we shake things up last year against Wales? Gatland spent the whole week before the game saying he knew exactly what we were going to do, then we did something else?

We mauled.

Then we mauled some more.

After that, we took a few minutes to think about our next move.

And went to the maul.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

errlloyd wrote: »

Not really. We won last year by shutting down their big carriers, and we got a lot of joy through the maul and the likes. It was pretty typical of what we've seen this season in the 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »
    The Welsh wouldn't like a loose, high tempo, off the cuff offloading game. That's never been their way.

I haven't watched it yet but who on earth said that?

bilston wrote: »

Me being facetious.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »

Quinny and Sheehan both agreed that we should play more rugby. Quinlan said the Italy and French games were boring.

Sure Sheehan said after the first round that the performances of TOD and Keatley would be putting pressure on the starters. Keatley putting pressure on Sexton.

Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Frankie hasn't a clue, all he's interested in talking about are Munster and his clients. One of his first comments at the u 20s a few weeks ago was he would have liked to have seen a few more munster players in the squad.

Far too insulated for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭typhoony

a year or 2 ago the ex-munster players on against the head were unashamedly pushing the younger munster players for irish selection, turns out sheahan represents a couple of them, he got called out on that one and now i notice neither of them are doing that as much. O'Gara is a good example of impartial punditry, in fact he said he needed to get away from the pressure cooker of munster rugby as if he stayed he would have been too close to the munster players

did anyone notice how big tom farrell was on the league clip. caught the eye a year or 2 ago at the u20's, future looks bright for leinster backline

Shelflife wrote: »
    Frankie hasn't a clue, all he's interested in talking about are Munster and his clients. One of his first comments at the u 20s a few weeks ago was he would have liked to have seen a few more munster players in the squad.

Far too insulated for my liking.

It is an absolute joke that RTE give him a platform to push this utter ****e. I simply do not watch Against The Head.

I feel left out as I've nothing to be outraged at after watching ATH.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »
    Me being facetious.

I genuinely could imagine Frankie coming out with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Having any player agents on TV in a position to speak about players is farcical.

Having any player agents on TV in a position to speak about players is farcical.

As a matter of interest have you ever contacted Sky or RTE or any other broadcaster about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phog wrote: »
    As a matter of interest have you ever contacted Sky or RTE or any other broadcaster about this?

Someone from RTE on Twitter, yes. Ignored me, not that I blame them. I don't need to contact them either to have the opinion, I simply don't watch when I can avoid it.

This isn't solely aimed at Frankie. Ryan Constable with BBC is just as silly.

• Advertisement

Someone from RTE on Twitter, yes. Ignored me, not that I blame them.

This isn't solely aimed at Frankie. Ryan Constable with BBC is just as silly.

The fact Frankie is about the worst pundit on the planet does compound things though.

Advertisement