Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Against the head

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jm08 wrote: »
    Its one person's opinion. I seem to remember Sean O'Brien getting a MOTM award playing No. 8 against Italy when to me the outstanding player on the pitch was Parisse.

But, the MOTM award usually goes to the home team when they win.

The way I look at it is that sometimes I agree, sometimes I disagree.

that has absolutley NOTHING to do with what Buer posted ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

RuggieBear wrote: »
    MOTM: Useful nobody-can-really-remember-the-performance metric to have though for an agent...or for people to use to argue on internet forums! :)

MOTM performances seem to be the performance metric that is understood on this forum. I'd say I agree with some, and I would disagree with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yes/no to this question then: Is it a conflict of interest for Agent Frankie Sheehan to be giving MOTM awards to his usually undeserving clients....?

YES or NO only, please?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    that has absolutley NOTHING to do with what Buer posted ??????

Buer made the point that it would boost a player's profile for his contract. Mick Dawson or Garret Fitzgerald wouldn't rate a high profile - all they are interested in is getting a player who can do a job for their Province. They are not going to pay them extra for picking up MOTM awards.

Joe Schmidt isn't going to pick any player just because he got a few man of the match awards - he is going to pick him because he is a good player and he doesn't need a pundit to tell him that.

RuggieBear wrote: »
    yes/no to this question then: Is it a conflict of interest for Agent Frankie Sheehan to be giving MOTM awards to his usually undeserving clients....?

YES or NO only, please?

If they are deserving in his honest opinion no.

I don't see how MOTM awards serve anyone except the sponsor to get their face/product on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sometimes I lead a horse to water but no matter what I do, it just won't drink.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer made the point that it would boost a player's profile for his contract. t.

regardless of whether it could or not, why do you think youre in a position to speak for dawson, fitezgerald or schmidt?

its not at all unreasonable to suggest citing MOTM awards as part of an argument for a players contract is valid.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Buer made the point that it would boost a player's profile for his contract. Mick Dawson or Garret Fitzgerald wouldn't rate a high profile - all they are interested in is getting a player who can do a job for their Province. They are not going to pay them extra for picking up MOTM awards.

Joe Schmidt isn't going to pick any player just because he got a few man of the match awards - he is going to pick him because he is a good player and he doesn't need a pundit to tell him that.
    Ah yes, but what about if the agent goes to Northampton or Castres etc. touting his player with the hatful of MOTM awards and gets an offer that he can then bring back to said player's province and use as part of his negotiations?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    regardless of whether it could or not, why do you think youre in a position to speak for dawson, fitezgerald or schmidt?

its not at all unreasonable to suggest citing MOTM awards as part of an argument for a players contract is valid.....

I'm speaking from a position of respect for Dawson, Fitzgerald and Schmidt who I guess realise that paper never refused ink.

Most prospective employers would check out what is put in the cv (i.e., watch the game where they got this MOTM award) and make their own mind up then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Most prospective employers would check out what is put in the cv (i.e., watch the game where they got this MOTM award) and make their own mind up then.
    I would strongly doubt that. They may watch highlight reels and presumably being Rugby people would already have some knowledge of the player but I hardly see them sitting down to watch match after match to see if the MOTM awards were deserved or not.

It would be like a prospective employer popping into your workplace and quizzing your colleagues on your performance.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    Ah yes, but what about if the agent goes to Northampton or Castres etc. touting his player with the hatful of MOTM awards and gets an offer that he can then bring back to said player's province and use as part of his negotiations?

They deserve the player if they didn't check out their cv (i.e., watch them play).

Timmy Ryan got picked up by Toulon for his (non MOTM) performance against the ABs. I don't think he ever got a MOTM award from Frankie.

Ian Nagle got onto Northampton radar with his performance in a B&I cup game. I don't think Frankie was looking for a new club for him then.

Is this real life?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is this real life?

Is this just fantasy?

rrpc wrote: »
    I would strongly doubt that. They may watch highlight reels and presumably being Rugby people would already have some knowledge of the player but I hardly see them sitting down to watch match after match to see if the MOTM awards were deserved or not.

It would be like a prospective employer popping into your workplace and quizzing your colleagues on your performance.

I didn't mean it literally, though I think if they were thinking of hiring them they would have done some fairly serious analysis on them.

They would also probably go and watch them at work though (or get someone to scout them).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Has Frankie ever announced a MOTM on RTE? Or has it just been on Sky?

Is this real life?

Yea, Timmy Ryan ended up with Toulon (2 year contract) who seemed to do a swap with Newcastle for Carl Hayman - all from playing well against the ABs :D

Frankie is some operator!

@jm08 you should take a read of this page, and perhaps a quick scan of these two pages (1,2).

Then maybe take a deep breath and realise how we've gotten through so many posts in this thread today in defence of Sheahan's clear conflict of interest in being a commentator/analyst and agent to those he's supposed to be commentating on / analysing for the media.

The "downstream" issues (i.e saying that someone who hires a player based solely on their MoTM awards is to blame) are independent issues (and though also failings) so do not trump nor affect the existence of a clear conflict of interest in the discussed case. A logical example would be that a drunk driver who knocked someone down while they were "somewhere they shouldn't be" isn't absolved of the offence of drink driving.

Please try to use logic and reasoning and not fallacies if you wish to 'debate' / 'defend' Sheahan's situation any further. Otherwise it's wholly pointless and drain circling.

@jm08 you should take a read of this page, and perhaps a quick scan of these two pages (1,2).

Then maybe take a deep breath and realise how we've gotten through so many posts in this thread today in defence of Sheahan's clear conflict of interest in being a commentator/analyst and agent to those he's supposed to be commentating on / analysing for the media.

The "downstream" issues (i.e saying that someone who hires a player based solely on their MoTM awards is to blame) are independent issues (and though also failings) so do not trump nor affect the existence of a clear conflict of interest in the discussed case. A logical example would be that a drunk driver who knocked someone down while they were "somewhere they shouldn't be" isn't absolved of the offence of drink driving.

Please try to use logic and reasoning and not fallacies if you wish to 'debate' / 'defend' Sheahan's situation any further. Otherwise it's wholly pointless and drain circling.

... the irony of your post ...

Its just not black and white the way you want it to be.

To be clear and concise. I consider MOTM awards largely irrelevant because they are based on one person's opinion who maybe biased anyway in the positions they know most about and might have more appreciation for the contribution of one particular position - (like Tony Ward invariably giving the award to the outhalf, or Donal Lenihan giving it to a 2nd / backrow).

I don't see how its a conflict of interest for Frankie Sheehan bearing in mind that he rarely commentates on games that one of his clients is playing in and no one can remember a game where he gave MOTM to one of his clients (i.e., so they must have been deserving awards). I see where some people didn't approve of him giving a MOTM award to Tomas O'Leary as they thought he was a client of his (Niall Woods is his agent).

As for Ryan Constable - half the players on the pitch are generally clients of his, so that could get him even into more trouble if he isn't honest with his opinion. You'd imagine if it was that important, he wouldn't do it in case he offended one of his clients because he can't pick them all for MOTM awards.

jm08. Focus on this one issue. Single topic. Real simple. See if you can just answer this, no opinions or anything.

I propose that Frankie Sheahan's positions as both a commentator/analyst AND player agent contrive to create a conflict of interest .
    A conflict of interest (COI) is a situation in which a person or organization is involved in multiple interests (financial, emotional, or otherwise), one of which could possibly corrupt the motivation of the individual or organization.

First point to consider here - A COI needs only to lend itself to the possibility of corruption occurring.

Second point to consider here - We also have an interesting example of a situation when David Wallace, then a client of FS, was awarded a MoTM award in a game by FS (which was surprising to all including Wallace). This could cynically be viewed as an example of FS falling foul of his COI.

What's not black and white about any of this? Which of these aren't facts and instead are opinions?

jm08. Focus on this one issue. Single topic. Real simple. See if you can just answer this, no opinions or anything.

I propose that Frankie Sheahan's positions as both a commentator/analyst AND player agent contrive to create a conflict of interest .

First point to consider here - A COI needs only to lend itself to the possibility of corruption occurring.

Second point to consider here - We also have an interesting example of a situation when David Wallace, then a client of FS, was awarded a MoTM award in a game by FS. This could cynically be viewed as an example of FS falling foul of his COI.

What's not black and white about any of this? Which of these aren't facts and instead are opinions?

Corruption :eek: Get a grip biggrin.png

To humour you - what was the gain for David Wallace or Frankie Sheehan by David Wallace getting a MOTM award?

At this stage, some might say that it did both Frankie & Wally a disservice as he was undeserving (for the record, I don't remember it).

Edit: (Might have been Mick O'Driscoll, not Wally - who asked if it was Frankie who had made the award and just laughed - which is how most players probably view it - a bit of a laugh).

edite: its not black and white because its based on someone's opinion - not a mathematical formula.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

To humour you - what was the gain for David Wallace or Frankie Sheehan by David Wallace getting a MOTM award?

No.

Answer his question first.

No.

Answer his question first.

For it to be a conflict of interest/corruption there needs to be a gain for someone of the parties involved. I can't see a gain for anyone in this so in my book its not a conflict of interest and claims of corruption are way over the top.

Furthermore, I don't think Emmet is basing it on something that actually occurred (as in David Wallace got an undeserved MOTM award from Frankie).

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Corruption :eek: Get a grip biggrin.png

At this stage, some might say that it did both Frankie & Wally a disservice as he was undeserving (for the record, I don't remember it).

Edit: (Might have been Mick O'Driscoll, not Wally - who asked if it was Frankie who had made the award and just laughed - which is how most players probably view it - a bit of a laugh).

edite: its not black and white because its based on someone's opinion - not a mathematical formula.

My god. It's not an opinion, it's a clear conflict of interest under any definition of the term. What IS an opinion is that FS allows this conflict of interest to colour his commentary. However it's an opinion with plenty of evidence to back it up; just last week he was desperately trying to blame anyone but Archer when the Munster scrum was under pressure early in the game.
    It's not just about MOTM; in the case of the vast majority of viewers, even those who may be quite knowledgable, their view of a players performance is greatly affected by what is said (and not said) by commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Can I play devil's advocate?

Don't all television pundits have a conflict of interest? Assuming they want to strengthen their profile and ultimately earning potential as pundits, might this cloud their judgement on certain issues, and /or cause them to focus on certain soundbites that may gain them attention at the expense of honest analysis?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Can I play devil's advocate?

Don't all television pundits have a conflict of interest? Assuming they want to strengthen their profile and ultimately earning potential as pundits, might this cloud their judgement on certain issues, and /or cause them to focus on certain soundbites that may gain them attention at the expense of honest analysis?

Not all of them benefit from player contracts though...

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

. I see where some people didn't approve of him giving a MOTM award to Tomas O'Leary as they thought he was a client of his (Niall Woods is his agent).

Niall Woods is his current agent. I believe that it was Tomas O'Leary but I am not entirely sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

For it to be a conflict of interest/corruption there needs to be a gain for someone of the parties involved. I can't see a gain for anyone in this so in my book its not a conflict of interest and claims of corruption are way over the top.

Furthermore, I don't think Emmet is basing it on something that actually occurred (as in David Wallace got an undeserved MOTM award from Frankie).

Munster vs London Irish, January 2011. I don't remember if it was FS who gave MOTM but Wallace is shown to be clearly amused (I think he said "What?" in a surprised tone when the cameraman told him he was MOTM).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It should be noted that David Wallace wasn't a client of Frankie Sheehan. He had him listed as one of his clients on his website but Wallace was never actually his client. Wallace was a client of a sports management company called Essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Yep Tomas O'Leary was definitely on his books at one stage

"A number of Sheahan’s former team mates from his Munster and Ireland playing days have signed up with Front Row, including current Irish internationals Tomás O’Leary, David Wallace and Mick O’Driscoll. Sheahan will handle their commercial interests within Ireland."

Source is Sunday Business Post via http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/20152-Frankie/page2

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Not all of them benefit from player contracts though...

Are you not getting yourself in a twist over nothing. Frankie is probably not even getting a fee for most of his clients they are so far down the food chain.

Should Brian O'Driscoll who has an interest in Ikon (and who is described as a mentor to their clients) not be allowed make any comments on any players because it is a clear conflict of interest as well.

Personally, I think the world would be a lot poorer if you went down this route. As I've said before, Ireland is too small to worry over conflict of interests about MOTM awards given out by TV pundits.

Advertisement